Scumming for Winter Shield

pmm_fin

I've been repeating the checkpoint at Battleship Bay over and over to get Winter Shield in 1999 mode. I've been at it for like 45 minutes getting all many others again and again but not this one. Do they have different rarities or has some patch maybe altered the chance of getting it here? I've gotten Urgent Care, Brittle Skinned and Overkill among other usefull ones many times but not the one I need most... :(

Just prey to the RNG gods mate.

I don't think they have different drop chances, but (sorry for saying this awful and beaten to death but unfortunately very accurate phrase), random is random.

If you farm the checkpoint at battleship bay where you have to pieces of gear right after another you should get it withing 10-20 mins though, just keep at it and don't despair.

And if all else fails you could always just keep playing the game and hope to get it before the 2nd handyman fight (the first can be made stupid easy if you glitch the handyman into standing immobile on the roof in the western area of the map), it's really not needed until then, just makes it easier...

Edited by DomNation

I've gotten it in both of my playthroughs actually.

I think if you collect all gear you'll get 37 out of the 41 pieces (non DLC) of equipment, so your chances are pretty good.

It's just a matter of when.

pmm: I'd recommend just farming that checkpoint over and over. Depending on how many pieces of gear you already have your chances of getting it should be anywhere from 5 to 10 % per checkpoint farm (with 2 pieces of gear), that's not too bad.

Good luck!

Edited by DomNation

• 2 months later...

I would greatly agree with the guys above. On my 1st playthrough i did not collect it, although i did not do any farming. On my 1999 run (currently) i wanted to utilise equib as better as i could so early in the game -fight Slates men- where there is a two room fight there are also 2 sets of equipment in that area. I did NOT collect them and went for the fights. After finishing all enemies AND the patriot, there is a checkpoint. Reloaded twice and luckily i got the shield. Is it really a matter of luck or location specific??

My experience says it's luck. Like you, I didn't see it on my first playthrough but on 1999 Mode, I tried farming for it (shortly before the first Zealot fight) and I got it after just a few reloads.

I do think certain gear have a higher probability of spawning, though. I did spend a few checkpoints reloading for gear (prior to returning to Soldier Field) and during these times, I noticed several pieces in particular spawned more so than others. But maybe that, too, was just luck of the draw.

Even though I told myself there's no way I'll waste any time farming this, I finally gave up after 30+ minutes of farming it at Battleship Bay. At one point I got the 50% ammo boost and shield recharge boost, which I kept equipped throughout my entire playthrough on Normal. But then I got killed in the ticket area and stupidly hit restart checkpoint, thinking the interaction there at the ticket counter had triggered an autosave. :( After more farming, I settled for Brittle Pants.

EDIT: In the Bioshock Infinite wiki, I've learned that you can also get every gear in the game by using the same glitch that's discussed in the trophy guide for infinite money and lock picks. Each time you exit Hall of Heroes, travel down to a shop by the carousel in Soldiers Field and inside there's a room that requires Shock Jockey to open. In that room is a gear package that respawns each time you enter/exit Hall of Heroes. Sounds like a pain to farm due to the distance, but if anyone is determined enough you can conceivable get all the gear in the game, minus the bits that spawn at specific locations in the game.

Edited by Satnamji

• 2 months later...

Getting Winter shield isn't so much about luck, you just need to know were it has a higher chance of spawning. Right when you enter The Arcade there'll be two pieces of clothing you can get. One is straight ahead of you behind the closed doors. The second one is next to the married couple. With these to you have a very high chance of getting Winter shield, or Sheltered heath. If your really lucky you can get both Winter shield, and Sheltered heath instead of one or the other. (Got them both on my first 1999 mode run.)