Playing this without playing the other bioshocks

hocks88

Hey guys, just a quick question I am interested in your opinions. Basically seeing as this is on plus I am tempted to play it but I have not played the first 2, I also doubt very much having just got a ps4 that I will go back and play them. I might but unlikely. With that in mind should I play this? Will I be missing out on anything if I didn't play the previous games?

Even without playing the Bioshock 1 & 2 you can still follow this game. Since it's free on PS+ I definitely recommend playing it as it's a fantastic game to experience, and if you ever do get a chance I also highly recommend playing at least the first Bioshock at some point as it's a phenomenal game.

I haven't played the DLC in this so I can't comment on them.

• 1 month later...

While I would highly recommend at least playing the first Bioshock because it helps further cement everything that happens in Bioshock Infinite, I can agree with others here that you can still understand Infinite by itself. It's an exceptional standalone game, and I'd definitely take advantage of it being free on Plus.

But again, as the first Bioshock is just as groundbreaking, and not to mention dirt cheap, I still vouch for playing that first. Its campaign isn't all that long (2-3 days tops, and that was me exploring EVERYTHING) and is easy enough for newcomers on 'Normal'. Bioshock 2 really holds no bearing on the story at all (I see it as a super-long DLC), so no need to play that.

My two cents.

Bioshock Infinite is a quasi prequel to the entire series so you're essentially playing the first game, though the DLCs muddy the water somewhat and can confuse the story if you play BS 1+2 straight afterwards.

All of that parallel universes stuff confused the hell out of me too and I've played all three titles.

• 11 months later...

I never played the first two games. Thankfully my Bioshock Infinite came with a copy of the first Bioshock which I still have to start. Probably will after getting the plat. And I bought Bioshock 2 for a ridiculously low price. The game made sense to me, so I don't think you have to play the first two games in order to get it. Now I just have to wait and see how the rest of the series will unfold (for me at least) after finishing BI up