Winter Shield Gear, where is it??

LoJac963

I know the gear is completely random however I've been reloading checkpoints like crazy to get Fire Bird and Winter Shield.

I finally got Fire Bird but I cannot get Winter Shield to pop no matter how many times I reload a checkpoint and recheck the piece of gear.......any ideas?

I want both to try the skyline attacks on the final level to make it easier.

It seems like certain areas will only spawn certain pieces of gear and after you cycle through them it just restarts the set of gear.

Edited by LoJac963

I think I reloaded the beach checkpoint about 15-20 times, cycling through the same 5-6 gears before it eventually made an appearance. You just have to persevere if you want it....

In all honesty though, not as useful as I thought it would be, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't???

I tried restarting a checkpoint about twenty times (I think it was Plaza of Zeal) in order to find it and got the same Gear about ten out of those times, but yes they are completely random.

You could get it as early as the bar you enter after the raffle and as late as the second to the top floor of the airship. With 43 possible gears in the base game and an additional ten gears if you pre-ordered (Industrial Revolution DLC)/bought the special edition (Songbird DLC)/got the season pass (early bird DLC) with somewhere between 35 to 45 locations (I have only found about 30 or so myself) to spend too much time in one spot just for a specific gear may not be beneficial time wise.

I'd say keep going for it, but as long as you are not already at Comstock House or the Airship I'd say forge on ahead there should be more checkpoints to farm it. I got it at some point between Finkton and Shantytown in my 1999 run and it is proving to be helpful for the second half of the run but isn't SO powerful that I would feel the need to spend too much time farming it early in the game IMO

You can guarantee you get it by using the farming method after leaving Hall of Heros. There is always a gear in the back room of the Toy Soldier shop. The nice thing about going for it there is that you can keep collecting gear until you get the one you're looking for. Every time you pick up a gear you have a better chance of getting the one you're looking for.

In all honesty though, not as useful as I thought it would be, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't???

I had a problem with it, too. It always worked when I jumped off a hook or rail, but almost never when I jumped on one. I used it for most of the game and can count on one hand how many times it gave me invincibility when jumped on.

You can guarantee you get it by using the farming method after leaving Hall of Heros. There is always a gear in the back room of the Toy Soldier shop. The nice thing about going for it there is that you can keep collecting gear until you get the one you're looking for. Every time you pick up a gear you have a better chance of getting the one you're looking for.

Are there any other farming spots besides the Hall of Heroes/Toy Shop? I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it would be very time consuming to do this over and over. I am getting ready to start my 1999 run and would like to get some of the gear recommended on here.

• 5 months later...
It's a rare piece of kit mate, but you can get it at pretty much any gear location. I got mine just after landing on the beach. I think you just have to be patient

Yeah this is where I'm at now, and I reloaded the checkpoint for almost an hour tonight just to get Winter Gear. No luck. I'll try again tonight.

This might be the best place to farm for this, as you get an opportunity for 2 pieces of gear back-to-back and the checkpoint is literally right there. It's early in the game, so I wanted to make my 1999 run as easy as possible.

Although it's hard passing up on other good gear. I've seen a few Vampire's Embrace and Brittle-Skinned. I'm close to just going with one of those again if it pops up....it's almost not worth spending an hour reloading a checkpoint for 1 piece of gear.

Yeah this is where I'm at now, and I reloaded the checkpoint for almost an hour tonight just to get Winter Gear. No luck. I'll try again tonight.

This might be the best place to farm for this, as you get an opportunity for 2 pieces of gear back-to-back and the checkpoint is literally right there. It's early in the game, so I wanted to make my 1999 run as easy as possible.

Although it's hard passing up on other good gear. I've seen a few Vampire's Embrace and Brittle-Skinned. I'm close to just going with one of those again if it pops up....it's almost not worth spending an hour reloading a checkpoint for 1 piece of gear.

Yeah, this is an easy spot to acquire a single piece of rare equipment, but it's not good for farming as you lose whatever piece you acquired upon reloading the checkpoint, as you pointed out.

I did my farming in the Toy Shop. The spawn rate is not the same for all pieces, which is why Winter Shield appears so rarely compared to other pieces. The "Toy Shop" method, though increases the chances of a given piece spawning since each piece that you pick up no longer spawns in the game. In theory, you could get every piece of equipment in the game. IMO, Winter Shield is a godsend on 1999. It makes the Handymen fights along with the end game battle a complete joke.

Yeah, this is an easy spot to acquire a single piece of rare equipment, but it's not good for farming as you lose whatever piece you acquired upon reloading the checkpoint, as you pointed out.

I did my farming in the Toy Shop. The spawn rate is not the same for all pieces, which is why Winter Shield appears so rarely compared to other pieces. The "Toy Shop" method, though increases the chances of a given piece spawning since each piece that you pick up no longer spawns in the game. In theory, you could get every piece of equipment in the game. IMO, Winter Shield is a godsend on 1999. It makes the Handymen fights along with the end game battle a complete joke.

Hmm do you think the Toy Shop would be the better place to farm for this? I forgot exact where it is in the story...and does it have a checkpoint nearby?

Hmm do you think the Toy Shop would be the better place to farm for this? I forgot exact where it is in the story...and does it have a checkpoint nearby?

If you keep doing the Toy Shop farming, you'll eventually get it; it's just a matter of time. Each time you pick up a piece and reload the area, you get to keep whatever piece you picked up. That means there's one less piece that will spawn, increasing the spawn rate of the other pieces.

The area is after you finish the Hall of Heros, iirc. :think: Basically, you leave the Hall of Heros, make your way back to the Toy Shop on the main Boardwalk, pick up whatever gear is there, and make the return trip back. Go back inside the Hall of Heros, come back out, rinse and repeat. The run takes about 2-3 minutes, but imo it's well worth it, especially on 1999. Furthermore, you can snag some money and lockpicks along the way if you want. I'm sure there's at least on video on YouTube that shows it, probably more.

If you keep doing the Toy Shop farming, you'll eventually get it; it's just a matter of time. Each time you pick up a piece and reload the area, you get to keep whatever piece you picked up. That means there's one less piece that will spawn, increasing the spawn rate of the other pieces.

The area is after you finish the Hall of Heros, iirc. :think: Basically, you leave the Hall of Heros, make your way back to the Toy Shop on the main Boardwalk, pick up whatever gear is there, and make the return trip back. Go back inside the Hall of Heros, come back out, rinse and repeat. The run takes about 2-3 minutes, but imo it's well worth it, especially on 1999. Furthermore, you can snag some money and lockpicks along the way if you want. I'm sure there's at least on video on YouTube that shows it, probably more.

Thanks. I did a little more research on google and found some good information on this. I think this is the best method for the exact reasons you stated.

• 6 months later...

I have to disagree with others that say Winter Shield isn't that useful. The Command deck battle becomes much easier if you have the Winter Shield. Everytime your shield gets low, hop on the rail, jump off and kill a few trolls while invincible, and let your shield regenerate.

Could be the component that makes or breaks the battle.

• 2 months later...

Firebird has a high chance of spawning in the "Order of the raven" level right before you go through the doors to fight the boss, towards the right is that movable bookshelf. The piece of clothing behind it is were it has a high chance of spawning. (Never found Firebird to be useful in my 1999 run.) Winter shield has a high chance of spawning when you first enter The Arcade. There'll be two pieces of clothing, one will be straight ahead of you behind the closed doors, the second will be to the left of the hall right next to the married couple. Both of these clothes have a high chance of you getting Winter shield.

Probably a dumb question but what is it? What does winter shield do? Will I need it for 1999 mode?

It makes you invisible for 5 seconds every time you jump off a Skyline. It's ridiculously gamebreaking, as it makes you practically invincible during every fight where there's a Skyline or a Skyhook. Which is practically every fight except a certain three-stage boss fight (dunno if you've played it through yet so don't want to reveal the name). You don't NEED it for 1999, but it'll make it 10x easier.

It's a type of Gear, can't remember which of the three types, but I think it's a Jacket?

Edited by Darth_Krid

It makes you invisible for 5 seconds every time you jump off a Skyline. It's ridiculously gamebreaking, as it makes you practically invincible during every fight where there's a Skyline or a Skyhook. Which is practically every fight except a certain three-stage boss fight (dunno if you've played it through yet so don't want to reveal the name). You don't NEED it for 1999, but it'll make it 10x easier.

It's a type of Gear, can't remember which of the three types, but I think it's a Jacket?

Yeah I've finished my first run today so spoilers are all good, I defo have not stumbled upon that one though, is it worth a few chapter loads to find it? I need a couple kill related trophies any way like the push off Columbia one etc, is it completely random?

If it spawns on a specific chapter maybe I can kill two birds....

Edit - also thanks for going on at me for not playing it krid, hands down one of the best games I've ever played ;)

Edited by TiNnYzEuS

• 3 weeks later...
is it worth a few chapter loads to find it? I need a couple kill related trophies any way like the push off Columbia one etc, is it completely random?

If it spawns on a specific chapter maybe I can kill two birds....

To answer your first question, absolutely yes! At least for players like me who could use a boost for those massive fights, like on the Hand of the Prophet. It's going to give you a huge lifeline.

Some recommended places for restarting checkpoints:

1) Battleship Bay, it's early in the game (when you leave the beach). There are two pieces of gear here (one is behind closed doors). The good thing obviously is that you have two chances to pick it up, yet the bad thing is that because it's so early in the game, there's much more gear that can possibly spawn, lessening it's likelihood.

2) Returning to Soldier's Field after you get shock jockey, there's a piece of gear in the Toy Shop that will continue to spawn if you just return to Hall of Heroes, then come back. If you search a YouTube for something like "inifinite money/lock picks" you should find this method easily. Only downside here is that it can take a lot of time to keep going back and forth between the two places. Good thing, obviously, is that you can obtain a ton of useful gear, even if it isn't Winter Shield.

3) in Shantytown, there's an autosave when you reach Stockdale. This is where I finally got it! There's a piece of gear out in the open, can't miss it. If you reload your last autosave, you start right in front of the gear! So it's a relatively quick reload method. In addition to that, the good thing is that you've probably already collected a lot of gear, which means there's less amount of gear that can spawn, which should make it more likely. Probably took me 15/20 minutes of reloading. Be persistent! :)

Lots of time spent reloading and farming and all that, but it's so worth it in my opinion, because now the rest of the game is going to be a breeze.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Battleship Bay, it's early in the game (when you leave the beach). There are two pieces of gear here (one is behind closed doors). The good thing obviously is that you have two chances to pick it up, yet the bad thing is that because it's so early in the game, there's much more gear that can possibly spawn, lessening it's likelihood.

Actually this is were I found Winter shield+Sheltered health on my 1999 mode run. I'm guess it was just luck that I got them at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

When I did this, it probably took less than twenty tries to get each gear. The same three to four gears appeared repeatedly, but the one you want will eventually come. It is definitely worth the investment, especially if the checkpoint is close to the gear.