The Official 1999 Mode Progress/Help Thread

Hey guys! Instead of a load of threads popping up asking for help or offering tips for 1999 Mode, I thought I'd create this as a one-stop shop for everything related to this mode.

Feel free to post your progress in this thread and any useful information/tips/loadouts/Gear setups that you think might be useful for other players. I must stress that if you are referring to specific fights or events in the game, please use spoiler tags, even if you aren't sure whether it's a spoiler or not.

I got hugely lucky with Gear, as I got two extremely useful ones for my first two pickups. They are Winter Shield (10 seconds of invincibilty everytime you jump on a Sky-Line or one of the freight hooks, and another 10 seconds when you jump off) and Fire Bird (when you jump off a Sky-Line, you set fire to enemies within a decent-sized radius of you). This has made me not only invincible in all my outside fights where there's Sky-Lines, but I haven't had to expend any ammo either as I let the fire damage them before finishing them off with melee. This will make a lot of the areas a breeze :D

For indoors, I also used the Sniper Rifle, which is by far the best weapon for this mode as you can hang back and use cover to let your shield recharge whilst popping out every now and then. I use the Shotgun for close-ups or as back-up. Just like in my previous runs, I didn't use Vigors at all except for Possession on turrets and the armoured/RPG enemies, and Bucking Bronco a few times. I just haven't found the ones that suit my playstyle as opposed to weapons.

EDIT: I will be maintaining this thread. Any new tips that are detailed/useful enough to be added will be listed in the posts below. Thanks a lot to everyone that has contributed :)

Edited by Darth_Krid
  • Like 1

General Tips & Loadout Suggestions:

I'm just using and abusing Winter Shield. It's making 1999 Mode ridiculously easy. It's pretty much game-breaking for any outdoor fight. If you can get it early, then congratulations!

ELECTRIC PUNCH - that's a hat gear bonus item from from the 'Early Bird' dlc pack (you have to buy the Season Pass from the ingame store to get that).

It has a 75% chance to electrify enemies when you hit them with the hook and stun them for 4 seconds so you can perform an execution or just shoot them in the head. It saves big on ammo and it's very useful when getting cornered.

Well, I don't really want to tell you how you should play your game, but Health and Salt are the most important upgrades imo. I've been upgrading both Health and Salt and never died once until much later in the game (the part featuring Fitzroy). Possession is a must, it's the most useful Vigor in the game and you need as much as Salt you can get for that.

I use Shock Jockey as my secondary Vigor, thanks to its damage boosting ability (shocked enemies take a lot of extra damage), Murder of Crows for Handymen, which seems to be the only useful Vigor against them and Return to Sender for extra ammo (upgraded ability) and protection. I've only upgraded Possession and Return to Sender.

Weapons are Sniper Rifle and Shotgun, without a doubt best weapons in the game, along with Hand Cannon.

Gears are: Sheltered Life - Gives you 10 seconds of invincibility whenever you eat snacks or use health packs

Winter Shield - 10 seconds of invincibility whenever you jump to or from Sky-Lines and hooks. (Might be glitchy, jumping to Sky-Lines doesn't give me invincibility sometimes)

Nor'easter - When you kill an enemy while riding the Sky-Line, you get 50% chance of 10 seconds of invincibility

Last Man Standing - When you kill an enemy with less than 30% of your life, you'll gain 50% health, one of the most useful gears, saved my life many times.

To get a ton more money right after the Hall of Heroes clear your way back to the board walk area where the gondola is, get all loot then go all the way back to Hall of Heroes. Go in then exit out and just about all the enemies and cash registers and such have refilled clear it all the way back to the gondola on the boardwalk then just keep doing that I was racking up nearly 2000 plus varios other loot items per run great way to get lockpicks aswell.

When I say board walk I'm talking about the area where the merry go round and such is.

For my 1999 run, I used volley gun and sniper rifle for the majority of it, upgrading damage as much as possible on both. The sniper rifle is especially useful as can pick off enemies at a distance.

Vigors I used where upgraded Possession and upgraded charge. Fully upgraded possession is brilliant for this mode. Having enemies fight on your side, act as a distraction and then ultimately suicide once the effect runs out is a huge advantage!

The upgraded charge, coupled with the burning halo gear, is very useful for fighting the siren & handy-man. You can literally take down the siren in a matter of seconds.

Overall, this mode is not to difficult. Be patient, use the tips above and you'll be fine.

For ground fights the sheltered life Gear will do the same just requires a consumable like food or a med kit and you're invulnerable for a short time. Since the girl tosses you med kits usually when you're low on health its an instant invulnerable for a time lol that and you can use it on the siren just loot a corps she brings back or just one on the ground i mean they are everywhere and you got a good chance they have some sort of helth consumable also drinks work too.

Next time you find a Gear and you recently had your game save a checkpoint, just keep resetting the checkpoint checking the gear and if its not what you want it to be, reset the check point till it is :D

The combination of Winter Shield, Newton's Law and Fire Bird breaks the game's back in open areas. I took out the Handyman just by jumping off the hooks. Never fired a shot or used a Vigor once on him.

The Electric Punch gear worked well for me against Patriots. It has a 75% chance to shock and stun with melee attacks. If you're quick enough with your attacks the Patriot should never be able to recover, leaving you with free shots until he goes down. Put it together with Bull Rush, Brittle Skinned or any other gear that enhances melee attacks and you have a really good combination.
Edited by Darth_Krid

Specific Sections/Boss Fight Tips #1:

[spoiler=strategies]

The Sirens were actually a lot easier than expected:

1st Battle - thought this'd be the hardest but was the easiest. Great tip - forget sniper or shotgun, but grab the Hailfire and the Crank gun. When she spawns, go to the enclosure with the health packs behind her tomb and camp there. Launch Devil Kiss at her whilst emptying Hailfire. She'll almost die from this, so finish her off with the Crank Gun. If she still isn't dead, aim better :p Nah, do a kamikaze run for the shotgun under the arch and use the health there as well to heal you before going back to the enclosure.

2nd Battle - Very easy by staying in the vault and sniping. No one will come to you. I emptied all my sniper and some Repeater (it was lying around - shotgun is useless as she won't come near enough to you for you to use it) into her. I almost died by running out of ammo, however, so I had to do an extreme suicide run out into the main area. You die almost instantly so it was only a timely Health pack from Lizzie and Return To Sender to soak up bullets on the way back to the vaults which saved me, giving me a chance to grab a machine gun lying round and finish her off. It literally took 5 bullets (not enough for a normal enemy usually!) to finish her off as she was basically gone.

3rd Battle - Probably the hardest, but still prettty easy. Camp with the sniper in the corner with the vending machines (make a mad dash to the sniper tear on the right if you need to refill) and pick her off. Keep using the Mosquito to distract the minions and doing damage to her, and possess the RPG guy any that come near you to distract the others. Hide behind the wall and pop out, and if you get shot, hide again until your shield regenerates. Took me 2 tries this one, but still a lot easier than I thought!

A tip for Bank fight:

Make sure you have your sniper rifle! When vault door opens, shoot Siren once. That will make her revive the dead enemies. Now immediately run back and hide behind one of the desks. Enemies will start to enter the vault one by one. Kill them using your other weapon (there is a Heater in the room left of vault door if you need).

When all enemies are dead, Siren won't be able to send any more as she can't get close enough to resurrect them. Use your sniper rifle and kill her without leaving the vault. Try not to leave the vault, her annoying AoE attack will most likely kill you.

Just finished it on 1999, only a couple of really tricky moments the Siren being chief amongst them! The worst part is that if you die, they come back with full health.

The fight in the bank was the hardest of the lot, but I found that you can run back into the vault area and hide and only a few guys (or on some occasions nobody) will follow you. As a tip, don't loot the bodies or cabinets on the way to the tear in the bank as you can jump up and backtrack to stock up if you need to that way. Nothing worse that getting her to miniscule health and running out of ammo, charging in to get some and dying :(

As for the end on the ship, it's about the same as it was on hard. Just take out the blimp with the pods underneath first to stop the patriots coming back and you should be fine. The Handymen were alright when you could skyline away and regroup, but the one at the end of Finkton is a pain, just try to keep him around the Tesla Coil so it slows him down.

I spent most of the game using either the shotgun, carbine, Sniper and volley shot. The last two are the best to deal with the siren in my opinion.

Here's how you do the final battle when the Patriots show up.

USE SONGBIRD ON THE TROOPS FIRST. Aim him at the deck where they are. This will kill the Patriots and should leave one or two crappy grunts who do very little damage to the generator thing. Songbird regenerates very quickly when used on the deck. Wait this short time and use him on a Zeppelin. Then wait for Songbird to regenerate, takes quite a while, but this doesn't matter, the grunts ain't doing shit to the generator. When it's regenerated, kill the grunts, which allows for a Zeppelin to spawn, rinse, repeat.

Sometimes the next wave spawns even though the grunts aren't dead and you haven't had time to regenerate Songbird. Do not worry, you should have your trusty sniper as this is this the best weapon in 1999 mode. You should run down the flanks, on the elevated parts, and shoot those annoying Patriots in the gears on their back with the sniper, this is actually pretty easy, they will be focused on the generator. It doesn't take long. When they're dead, snipe most of the rest and leave a couple of weak troops. RPG troops are not weak troops, kill them too. Then continue with previous strategy. I used a sniper and shotgun for the occasional fool who rushes you. Don't worry if you die, you should have plenty of money. The generator is what matters.

2nd half of the game, fully upgraded Possession and Devil's Kiss pretty much destroyed everything. Devil's Kiss AOE took care of the Siren's goons and allowed me to Handcannon her to death in no time.

Final battle, beat it on my first try. Songbird first ship. Dropped a Devil's Kiss trap near the oil spillage near the frontend of the ship. Mop up left over enemies. Possess rocketers on the rails. Rinse, repeat. When the Patriots show up, possess either one, wither down the other one then Devil's Kiss like mad. Of course, I switched up to Volleyguns and Rockets for the AOE.

All in all, satisfying run to a satisfying game. Got the plat :dance:

Hold L1 and it absorbs all damage you take, then release and it throws the ball at your target. It does use up a fair bit of salt if you use it for too long, but it is very useful, especially in the grave fight with the siren. I ran out of ammo and hit the killing blow on her with it!

the siren battle is easy on 1999 mode with fully upgraded charge. just keep hitting her with it. equipping melee gear will also help

A few quick tips for some of the harder battles:

Emporia boss fight(s)

Like the Winter Shield/Firebird combo, this is dependent on having the gear and upgrading the 'right' vigors, but it's extremely useful nonetheless.

Shirt: Blood to Salt (Enemies provide salts upon death 40% of the time). Whenever the boss resurrects some soldiers, throw a couple of fully upgraded devil's kiss. With luck, you'll have quickly burned the soldiers, replenished some of your salts and the boss will become vulnerable (say...to sniper headshots) as they try to resurrect the remaining soldiers.

Final battle

Winter Shield and Firebird will get you through the final battle as far as not dying goes, so you can get up close to the patriots. It pays to have Undertow upgraded for this, as you can

a) Knock lighter enemies off the arena.

b) Yank the patriots (and other enemies) away from the stern and back to the bow if they're doing too much damage and you can't kill them in time.

Upgrading your Shock Jockey to chain lightning and stun longer is also a good way to buy time while Songbird recharges.

I'll second the recommendation to strike the ground troops with Songbird first. The zeppelins WILL launch another set right after, but keep at it (Songbird recharges quicker on smaller targets), and only when they stop coming faster than you can kill them (it happened to me but I don't know if it's meant to be like that) should you strike the zeppelins.

Handymen

All Handyman fights happen in areas with Sky-lines or Freight Hooks. With Winter Shield/Firebird, you don't have to expend any ammo (if you wanna melee/Sky-line strike the Handyman to death) and you're invincible so long as you remember to jump on and off the Sky-lines every 10 seconds. Handymen were laughably easy with this combo.

I just platinumed the game!!!!!!

I thought the siren would be the hardest bit but when I used upgraded charge with some gear against her it was a peace of cake. I just kept hitting her with a charged charge attack. The gear used for the fight was:

Burning Halo - 70% chance that your melee strikes will set enemy on fire for 300 damage over 4 seconds

Executioner - 25% more damage with strikes and 60% change to critical strike staggered enemies

Vampires Embrace - Melee kills give health.

Head Master - Increase critical hit damage by 50%.

I used a shotgun and sniper rifle for the fight and pretty much the whole game.

I lose some help you can run away and hit her with the rifle.

For the fight in the bank, if you stay in the vault no enemies will come towards you. I f you lose too much help for you liking you can back off and hit her with a sniper rifle.

The rest of the game before and after was easy if you make use of the possession vigor.

The final fight was not too bad, just remember that if you kill the two patriots that a new wave will spawn and only use songbird on the ships. Undertow if the best vigor to help taking down patriots.

There are only 3 zeppelins to take down. You can keep using possession on a patriot to waste time while waiting for songbird to recharge. Make sure that all other enemies are gone first. Like I said only killing both patriots will a new wave spawn.

I found out on the last battle that I was using undertow to knock baddies off of the ship when I hit a Patriot with it...I had no idea undertow would "short circuit" a Patriot and render them vulnerable to arms fire.

Do you have upgraged Charge and burning halo gear by any chance? It makes the 3 siren fights absolute cake walk.

Edited by Darth_Krid

Specific Sections/Boss Fight Tips #2:

[spoiler=strategies2]

For the first Boy of Silence before the elevator, he's the only one you can't sneak past. Try a Possession Trap (Hold :l1:) and throw it into the middle of the bunch of Franklins. They should mostly wipe each other out, so just clean up the remaining few.

As far as the final fight at the Good Time club, I stayed on the second floor and used the pillars to block incoming fire from the Patriot. I used Possession on the Mosquitos and then focused attacks on the Fireman. Once everyone else was down I used Shock Jockey on the Patriot so I could get up close and started meleeing him.

Edited by Darth_Krid

ELECTRIC PUNCH - that's a hat gear bonus item from from the 'Early Bird' dlc pack (you have to buy the Season Pass from the ingame store to get that).

It has a 75% chance to electrify enemies when you hit them with the hook and stun them for 4 seconds so you can perform an execution or just shoot them in the head. It saves big on ammo and it's very useful when getting cornered.

I just started my 1999 run today and I'm up to Monument Island. I'm taking my time and so far so good. I had a couple of quick deaths before getting my shield, but since then I've only died once. I got the season pass for the free Infusions and gear and I also have the freebies from the Songbird edition, all of which fortunately showed up at the Blue Bird.

I've been upgrading my shield instead of health and can usually find cover before I lose any health. I'm not sure if I should upgrade health or vigors next. It seems like helath is the way to go. I don't use vigors nearly as much as I used the adam abilities in the first two games. I think I'll need to start using them more if I'm going to make it without using the vending machine, though.

I didn't find 1999 mode too difficulty. The only parts that gave me trouble where the siren the 1st and 3rd battle. The first sound boy but using deflection kills all of them quickly and the final battle on the command deck which took 5-6 tries but IGN has a good walkthrough for that. I only had 5 weapons upgraded just 1 time and possession fully upgraded. Wanted to save my money in case I died because even reloading checkpoints sometimes back tracks you pretty far.

When I had to fight handymen I just cleared the room except for him and rode the rails till he jumped on them to electrocute them then jumped off and shot him while he was holding rail. Just repeated that took bout 3-5 minutes to beat him (depending on weapon).

I've been upgrading my shield instead of health and can usually find cover before I lose any health. I'm not sure if I should upgrade health or vigors next. It seems like helath is the way to go. I don't use vigors nearly as much as I used the adam abilities in the first two games. I think I'll need to start using them more if I'm going to make it without using the vending machine, though.

Well, I don't really want to tell you how you should play your game, but Health and Salt are the most important upgrades imo. I've been upgrading both Health and Salt and never died once until much later in the game (the part featuring Fitzroy). Possession is a must, it's the most useful Vigor in the game and you need as much as Salt you can get for that.

I use Shock Jockey as my secondary Vigor, thanks to its damage boosting ability (shocked enemies take a lot of extra damage), Murder of Crows for Handymen, which seems to be the only useful Vigor against them and Return to Sender for extra ammo (upgraded ability) and protection. I've only upgraded Possession and Return to Sender.

Weapons are Sniper Rifle and Shotgun, without a doubt best weapons in the game, along with Hand Cannon.

Gears are: Sheltered Life - Gives you 10 seconds of invincibility whenever you eat snacks or use health packs

Winter Shield - 10 seconds of invincibility whenever you jump to or from Sky-Lines and hooks. (Might be glitchy, jumping to Sky-Lines doesn't give me invincibility sometimes)

Nor'easter - When you kill an enemy while riding the Sky-Line, you get 50% chance of 10 seconds of invincibility

Last Man Standing - When you kill an enemy with less than 30% of your life, you'll gain 50% health, one of the most useful gears, saved my life many times.

Also a tip for Bank fight:

[spoiler=Siren]Make sure you have your sniper rifle! When vault door opens, shoot Siren once. That will make her revive the dead enemies. Now immediately run back and hide behind one of the desks. Enemies will start to enter the vault one by one. Kill them using your other weapon (there is a Heater in the room left of vault door if you need).

When all enemies are dead, Siren won't be able to send any more as she can't get close enough to resurrect them. Use your sniper rifle and kill her without leaving the vault. Try not to leave the vault, her annoying AoE attack will most likely kill you.

This for 1999 mode alone, or 1999 mode withouth buying anything from vending machines, if so why are people upgrading their vigors? Wouldn't that cancel out that trophy?

No the Dollar Bill machines allow you to buy ammo and salts cheap. There are 3 different kinds of vending machines. one is Veni Vidi Vigor that gives you vigor upgrades one is Minuteman's Armory which gives you weapon upgrades these two are okay to buy from. If everything in the machine is under $200 then your in the dollar bill machine, this one you can't buy from. Its easy to tell which is which there are big signs on the machines if you look at them.

Theres outfits you can find that give % that enemies will drop weapon ammo or salts if your having trouble finding some but not too hard to find weapons to use.

Agree with post a couple above. HEALTH is one you deffinetly want to upgrade then I alternated between salts and shields. The season pass really does help out a lot allowing you to get 5 infusion upgrades right away once you get to Columbia.

Edited by care_bear_kiIIer

My first playthrough was on hard, so 1999 mode has been fairly easy so far. Up to Chapter 22, first handyman I encountered in chapter 19 or 20 I was pretty low on health, so I just made a dash for the Good Time Bar lol. So I have yet to face them.

I've mostly upgraded my salts, and then 2 health and 4 shield.

Gears I'm using:

Gear Head - Harder to detect. Affects automated turrets, Zepplins and motorized Patriots.

Blood to Salt - Enemies provide Salts upon death 40% of the time

Urgent Care - Decrease shield recharge delay by 1 second. Increase shield recharge rate by 2x

Last Man Standing - When very low on health, killing an enemy gives health.

This gear really maximizes my play style, since I especially use salts and play with a lot of close action. I use possession on just about every turret I come across, Bucking Bronco and Devils Kiss is a pretty epic combo too when in tight spots. I utilized Return to Sender quite a bit in my last play through, I'm sure I will again. As far as guns go, it's been mostly shotgun, hand cannon, rpgs and volley gun. And Carbine or sniper in long distance situations.

The Siren will be interesting this time around, since I used Sniper the entire time against her on my first playthrough on Hard. I stood inside the vault and just kept shooting her and then would run across to the other side to get ammo and then run back. But since I'm going for the Scavenger Hunt trophy, it will be interesting what I do this time. Same with the final fight against her, I stood in the far left corner by the Dollar Bill Machine and kept sniping her lol so I'm gunna have to make do with what ammo I have. Perhaps snipe and use a carbine, idk.

Edit: If anyone wasn't aware, Possession works on vending machines, gives you a fair amount of silver eagles.

Edited by Burgundy85

I'm the same. I upgraded my shield and stayed back snipping so was usually too far away to use vigors.

Wish now I'd upgraded my health first though then maybe alternated between salts and shields. Fully upgraded shields seemed pretty useless towards the end of the game whereas more salts would have proven handy.

I'm not going to go on and on about 1999 and some tricks cuz I could go on forever...ill list just a few

Sirens- fight from a long distance epecially number 3 where u can just pick up the sniper and snipe her until she is dead

Run past enemies if you don't need ammo or cash...example when you freeing Elizabeth from the chair you can just throw both switches, free her and the enemies will all be gone

Make the sniper ur bitch

Just finished it on 1999, only a couple of really tricky moments the Siren being chief amongst them! The worst part is that if you die, they come back with full health.

The fight in the bank was the hardest of the lot, but I found that you can run back into the vault area and hide and only a few guys (or on some occasions nobody) will follow you. As a tip, don't loot the bodies or cabinets on the way to the tear in the bank as you can jump up and backtrack to stock up if you need to that way. Nothing worse that getting her to miniscule health and running out of ammo, charging in to get some and dying :(

As for the end on the ship, it's about the same as it was on hard. Just take out the blimp with the pods underneath first to stop the patriots coming back and you should be fine. The Handymen were alright when you could skyline away and regroup, but the one at the end of Finkton is a pain, just try to keep him around the Tesla Coil so it slows him down.

I spent most of the game using either the shotgun, carbine, Sniper and volley shot. The last two are the best to deal with the siren in my opinion.

Edited by Xander45

Here's how you do the final battle when the Patriots show up.

USE SONGBIRD ON THE TROOPS FIRST. Aim him at the deck where they are. This will kill the Patriots and should leave one or two crappy grunts who do very little damage to the generator thing. Songbird regenerates very quickly when used on the deck. Wait this short time and use him on a Zeppelin. Then wait for Songbird to regenerate, takes quite a while, but this doesn't matter, the grunts ain't doing shit to the generator. When it's regenerated, kill the grunts, which allows for a Zeppelin to spawn, rinse, repeat.

Sometimes the next wave spawns even though the grunts aren't dead and you haven't had time to regenerate Songbird. Do not worry, you should have your trusty sniper as this is this the best weapon in 1999 mode. You should run down the flanks, on the elevated parts, and shoot those annoying Patriots in the gears on their back with the sniper, this is actually pretty easy, they will be focused on the generator. It doesn't take long. When they're dead, snipe most of the rest and leave a couple of weak troops. RPG troops are not weak troops, kill them too. Then continue with previous strategy. I used a sniper and shotgun for the occasional fool who rushes you. Don't worry if you die, you should have plenty of money. The generator is what matters.

Should I prioritize weapon upgrades over vigor upgrades? Guess it'll depend on how I play. Presonally, I think at least "possession for less" is a must.

I hope I will get the "killing enemies gives salt" gear. (I think reloading can help changing the gears you find.)

A random advice: Trouble with crow enemies? Bucking Bronco is your friend. :)

Yeah, I would have had that if not for the damn Store bug :p

You know that only the first two Handymen have to be fought, right? One of which you can kill with the glitch where he doesn't move :p The last two can be skipped by bombing to the checkpoint.

Should I prioritize weapon upgrades over vigor upgrades? Guess it'll depend on how I play. Presonally, I think at least "possession for less" is a must.

I hope I will get the "killing enemies gives salt" gear. (I think reloading can help changing the gears you find.)

A random advice: Trouble with crow enemies? Bucking Bronco is your friend. :)

I got the "Blood Salt" Gear, but it would replace Winter Shield, so I'm not gonna use it.

You know that only the first two Handymen have to be fought, right? One of which you can kill with the glitch where he doesn't move :p The last two can be skipped by bombing to the checkpoint.

I did not know this, ah well I killed 'em all anyways with no glitch using, badass :cool:

Just completed 1999 mode. For my run, I used the Shotgun/Machine Gun for the first half of the game until I got the Handcannon/Sniper Rifle combo. Early on I upgraded the Crows for the traps and it bailed me out in so many situations early on where you don't have access to all the pretty weapons and vigors.

2nd half of the game, fully upgraded Possession and Devil's Kiss pretty much destroyed everything. Devil's Kiss AOE took care of the Siren's goons and allowed me to Handcannon her to death in no time.

Final battle, beat it on my first try. Songbird first ship. Dropped a Devil's Kiss trap near the oil spillage near the frontend of the ship. Mop up left over enemies. Possess rocketers on the rails. Rinse, repeat. When the Patriots show up, possess either one, wither down the other one then Devil's Kiss like mad. Of course, I switched up to Volleyguns and Rockets for the AOE.

All in all, satisfying run to a satisfying game. Got the plat :dance: