Is this game any good?

starcrunch061

I actually got this for $2.72 yesterday (FYE had a 75% discount on all new games that were released before November 1st 2009) and it's really starting to piss me off.

The horrible checkpoints, the crappy swinging engine and all of those challenges almost make me regret spending almost 3 bucks on this game.

If I paid $60 for this, I'd be furious.

i'd have to disagree with everyone. bought it new for $10 last week and am enjoying it! yes, the checkpoint system is a bit cruel, but i think these are some of the funnest trophies out there. its by no means a perfect game, but the gaming value FAR exceeds its price.

if you havent tried it out, what are you waiting for???

Edited by billygolden78

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the game overall. The collection trophies are a complete pain but I already ran my mouth about that in another thread. It is worth the bargain price but certainly not $60.00....as a matter of fact, I am finding it harder and harder to justify $60.00 for most any game lately.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's not good at all really. It provides some mild entertainment for a brief while, and granted it is a bit of a trophy-fest given how easily obtained some of them are (just for completing, for example a jump). However, after like the first 'level' it just gets so repetitive and is a rubbish gaming environment.

I bought it for £5 and still think it's worth about £2 (being generous). I would've liked it had it been half an hour long so it ended before I hated it

The Trophies are pretty much all linked to in-game challenges. The fact that you have to get all Collectibles/Challenges on a single playthrough is terrible. The game is pretty hard, too. Getting Platinum is not for the weak of heart. I think the game starts out way too punishing; once you get an Armor upgrade the game gets some good levels going and it isn't as punishing anymore.

I will under no circumstances even attempt Commando mode. EVER.

The game is different.

It's punishing, it's lame at some points, but it's rewarding. Of all the plats I've ever earned, this one probably falls in my top five. The satisfaction that I got after beating the game in one runthrough was amazing. There are only two games this gen that I felt really improved my skills:

Call of Duty World at War

Bionic Commando

When I picked up those games, we didn't have a Platinum Difficulty rating, only a time frame. After griding through those two, all subsequent FPS and Third Person Shooters felt like a breeze.

Besides, the first time I heard this theme whilst swinging sent chills down my spine:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzJrrBLrJ0]YouTube - Bionic Commando [Music] - Main Theme[/ame]

This song alone warrants a purchase.

I bought the game for 20€ and never regretted it. Yes, it's not a great game, but it's definitely worth the time you spent with it, and it's rewarding to accomplish the platinum trophy for it.

Give it ago for under 20 bucks, there are many games 10 times worse than this one (Yes Eat Lead, I'm looking at you).

I bought this for the unbelievable price of £3 from HMV brand new. First playthrough was horrible.... Very worried I wouldnt get collectables/challenges all sorted in time. Turned out to be very easy though !!. Nearly finished on commando and Im really enjoying it. Gonna be very satisfying to get platinum on this.

Yes, some of the game is frustrating........but what game isn't? Hell...Ice Age had those damn egg rolling challenges that suck.

Overall...I am getting a kick out of it.

Yes...it does suck when you die and have to go back and collect everything again, but I am not getting overly pissed about it. Yes...I will have to replay it through again, missed one collectable. Gives me time to practice those damn swing moves more. At least the trophies are tied in with the challenges. I am seriously thinking of buying it from gamefly so I can take my time to work on it....and not try to blast through it for the TSL.

Edited by lordmartock

• 1 month later...

Hm, the only thing I didn't like was the story and there should have been more and better boss encounters. Everything else I absolutely loved from the swinging mechanics to the style and the music ... I had been worried about the controls, but they worked (almost?) perfectly.

Sure, in terms of collecting trophies, the challenges were kind of cruel as for some, you couldn't do them once you missed the final opportunity, so on the second run, I felt kind of pressured, but still ... I had so much fun and - I can only stretch this - the swinging felt totally natural and fun and the controls for it worked really, really well.

I had sold it after having platinumed it (do this with almost all my games) and when I saw it for the very, very low price later, I was considering repurchasing it because I liked it so much. But then it was sold out next time I was there. :( However, I hope they'll make a sequel, I really do.

I don't get why people complain about the swinging and the controls at all. And my favorite genre is point&click adventures, so don't tell me they were bad, I mean, if I had no issues ...

Ah, wait, another thing I hated were the ingame ads in the first chapters.

Edited by SoPoF

• 2 months later...