Mini-rants (No spoilers, just loathing)

Devil May Cry

A shield ability. They should've made this, it's such a glaringly obvious ability. Use your grapple on an appropriate item and use it as a shield. They could've used Square for it; they hardly used it anyways. Cover could have made this game less frustrating at times. I mean, come on! You can grab onto almost everything in the game and can grab and throw at least 3/4s of everything in the game. Why wouldn't they make a shield ability?!

Another thing that pissed me off is the way abilities are unlocked. Yahtzee said it best, a game shouldn't try to hide it's features. Why would they give you a tutorial on how to use all your abilities and then take them away once when your done? This is what should've been done if we stick to receiving abilities at certain parts of the game. For the original Tutorial, it should have only taught you the swinging mechanic. Then, when you reach an area where you learn a new power, you play that section of the Tutorial there!

The radiation element in this game makes no sense. I can understand there being radiation, a bomb was dropped. However, the use of radiation is just ridiculous. I'll use a level for example, Trent District I. When heading towards the area where the Yelena is, there are some of those large cylinders on the right. There's a sniper covering the left side of that area, so I go right to the cylinders for cover. Now, what would you do in this situation? Would you go around the cylinder to the left (in the sniper's line of fire) or to the right (out of sight)? Right, obviously. WRONG. There's radiation covering that half the cylinder. Why half? Why not all? There's no point in landing there if you're forced to go into the sniper's line of sight. The worst part about it, right after that cylinder, there's no more radiation on the right until quite a distance more. So there was just a jagged chunk of radiation jutting out enough to cover part of a building. Last time I checked, radiation doesn't spread like that. In fact, NOTHING DOES.

The last thing I have to complain about is the lack of a feature I found to be so simple, yet so useful. This would be being able to look over your other shoulder when using ironsights. In Uncharted it was a key feature to the gameplay. You don't know how many times I've hit R3 attempting to look over the other shoulder on accident.

If I missed something or one of the things I said exist, don't tell me. I've already done a runthrough of this game and will be pissed off if I knew I could actually use one of these features and didn't know it. Raise your hand if you hate this game.

i dont understand why he drowns, if you can swing the arm and grapple and make it stiff, why not anchor yourself to the bottom and push up, i found that to be silly, oh and also when you had to fight off like 3 biomecs at the same time on comando, thats just ridiculous.

True, didn't think of that. The drowning was pretty dumb, but I understood the reason at least. The worst are the Berserker biomechs. Shield and Lancer are slow enough to dodge and Air Force just shoot at the energy blast (Hadoken!). Berserkers are just all over the place though. Punch Up is my main weapon against them.

Super Joe explains early on in your journey in Ascention City that some of your abilities will take time to come back as a result of not being part of his bionic arm in a long time. So its explained well in the plot, you probably missed it.

As for the mechs, one thing is for sure in commando difficulty is death from above becomes your best friend early on . Especially the laser biomechs. So you can kite and throw their laser at them rather than use the weapon and get yourself killed.

You can get yourself out of the water in most situations by grapling up on the nearest structure. But when you drop dead center in a river obviously there will be no grapple point to pull yourself out of. The arm is serious weight you know.

• 2 years later...