-Offline: 50

-Online: 0

-Approximate amount of time to Platinum: 25 hours

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1

-Number of missable trophies: 2

-Glitched trophies: 0

-Do cheat codes disable trophies: No cheat codes

Introduction:

Bionic Commando is one of those games you will either love or you will hate. The game basically relies on how proficiently you can utilize the swing mechanic as well as your ability to survive a gunfight with multiple enemies. You have to be able to think fast and always realize where the nearest pole/building/etc is so you can get out of a sticky situation if necessary. Many of the fights require you to be a little cautious and plan out your strategy rather than just rushing in gun blazing. If you have patience and follow a guide for the collectibles this platinum isn’t bad, but without those two things you could be in for a long grind. The difficulty trophies stack too, so if you beat the game on commando it will also unlock the trophy for beating the game on hard.

***NOTE: This platinum can be had in one playthrough, but I would highly recommend splitting it up into two playthroughs. I will give a walkthrough of how to do it each way though. ***

Two playthrough method:

The 2 C’s : Challenges and Collectibles (Easy difficulty)

Most of the trophies in this game are rewarded for simply completing in game challenges. These can range from killing 10 of the basic enemies to killing 5 enemies with a single grenade. They are all pretty straight forward in terms of realizing what you have to do, but a few of them can be challenging to find a proper opportunity to complete them. There is a great guide on the sister site (Challenge Guide - Xbox360Achievements.org) that should be very useful when trying to go for the challenges. It will tell you exactly what every challenge requires, some tips to completing it, and what it unlocks when you do.

Two of the challenges that may challenge some people require you to kill 5 grunts with a single grenade and kill 5 grunts with a single death from above. These can both be done on the Constructor level towards the end of the game. You will have 3 groups of 6-7 grunts in a relatively small area with a ledge above each group. You should use the adrenaline charged death from above to kill 5 at a time if you haven’t completed that challenge up to this point.

Aside from completing all of the challenges the only other thing you should be worried about during this playthrough is getting all of the collectibles. There are 150 collectibles throughout the game and each level lets you know how many more collectibles you need to find in that level. I found a Guide that was very helpful in finding all of the collectibles: Bionic Commando Collectibles FAQ/guide - IGN FAQs

**** It is very important to realize that once you finish a level, you cannot go back and get those collectibles. There is a level select option but when you play using chapter select trophies are disabled. For this reason you should make sure that you have completed the level collectibles challenge before you finish a level. Since getting all of the collectibles is a challenge as well you can miss 2 trophies just by missing 1 collectible and this will require you to start all over again. ****

You can do this playthrough on any difficulty you want but I recommend going for an easier difficulty. I did this playthrough on hard and there were a few challenges that caused a little bit of trouble for me. Some challenges require you to bait the grunts into position and this can be made harder at higher difficulties.

Going Commando:

Now that you have all of the challenges and collectibles you should only have a few trophies left depending on what difficulty you played on the first run. This second playthrough will require you to simply beat the game on commando difficulty without worrying about anything else. This can be tricky for some but if you have already beat it once you should have a good enough feel for the game now to blow through it rather easily.

When going through on this difficulty the key is to be as patient as possible. You will take much more damage on the lower levels so always know where your quickest exit is in any battle. You can usually just swing around when your screen turns red until you heal so as soon as you start taking massive damage get out of the battle and wait out the healing process. Also be sure to save your grenades and heavy artillery for the biomech battles. They will expose their weak spots much less frequently so having grenades on hand to stun them makes them much easier to defeat.

One playthrough method:

Unless you are a highly experienced gamer that is willing to sit through frustration I would highly recommend you don’t go for the platinum in one playthrough. If you decide to do this then make sure you start the game on Commando difficulty your first time through. Follow the first step of the two-playthrough walkthrough above and make sure you don’t miss any of the challenges or collectibles. It can be done but it is much harder to complete the challenges on the harder difficulties. It is also much more frustrating when you get through a tricky battle only to die getting a collectible and have to start all over.

Closing Comments:

This is only my second road map (Burnout is my other) but look out for more in the future. I hope this helps some of you guys decide how you want to approach this platinum as well as act as an addition to whatever trophy guide you may use. If you see any typos, bad grammar, or area for improvement please feel free to post in here or PM me.

Edited by Terminator
Removed dead link.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm...I think I'll do a Commando runthrough and then a second one on the easiest difficulty to pick up collection/challenge trophies.

Why?

It would be much easier if you played easy first time round getting all collectibles etc then you will be used to the game.

Playing commando first time through will make the platinum longer and a all lot more fustrating.:rolleyes:

Yeah definitely do an easy run through first. Commando isnt very hard, but if you try commando from the start you will be very frustrated. The main reason you dont want to play it first is because you wont be as comfortable with the controls, the swinging mechanism, and the enemies. If you have already beat the game these things will all be second nature and will save you a lot of headache. Also, the story kind of sucks so you dont have to worry about ruining your first play through by worrying about collectibles. Just make sure you follow the road map otherwise you will be collecting things twice

I'm on Port Anderson III right now. I keep on getting killed by the 2 Standard Mechs, always run out of ammo or throwables. It sucks because I keep on getting 2 challenges each time but have to re-do them. Chapter select but without trophies? What a horrible decision! What's the point of it then? Also, not being able to grapple onto radiated surfaces has killed me so many times when I'm drowning.

EDIT: Finished it with all challenges and collectibles. I was freaking out since I did all Challenges, but no trophy. It unlocks during the credits. Boss battle and twist were disappointing.

Edited by Devil May Cry

You know there is an easy trick to those two mechs, climb back to the bridge and up to the top. Just camp and shoot their backs with the Yelena. Plus there is extra ammo up there.

Yeah, that's what I was doing but I would run out of ammo every time. I was able to get by it thanks to them standing next to each other and saving my grenades and a Tarantula rocket. I'm doing my Commando runthrough now and I'll say, you can die pretty quickly if you don't keep your distance. If on the Buraq Helicopter right now.

Yeah, that's what I was doing but I would run out of ammo every time. I was able to get by it thanks to them standing next to each other and saving my grenades and a Tarantula rocket. I'm doing my Commando runthrough now and I'll say, you can die pretty quickly if you don't keep your distance. If on the Buraq Helicopter right now.

You must have used the Yelena before the mechs showed up then. Should have been more than enough to take them out!

The best way to rid of the snipers in the beginning was to kite and throw the first sniper across the bridge to the other. See I think the game throws most people off with putting a convenient weapon at the right situation sometimes, but it'll turn out the next enemy situation would best use of the weapon.

You must have used the Yelena before the mechs showed up then. Should have been more than enough to take them out!

The best way to rid of the snipers in the beginning was to kite and throw the first sniper across the bridge to the other. See I think the game throws most people off with putting a convenient weapon at the right situation sometimes, but it'll turn out the next enemy situation would best use of the weapon.

Yeah, I threw the sniper at the other but I never used the Yelena. I was using the Tarantula for the challenges :D I forgot the Yelena was there, I never bothered using it cause I wanted to get the ammo packs later.

Also, beat it on Commando and got the Platinum! Woooo!

Edited by Devil May Cry

Just to let you guys know- I don't believe that getting all collectibles is a challenge, because I missed ONE freakin collectible, in the very last level no less, and I still received the 'complete all challenges' trophy.

Yeah, I threw the sniper at the other but I never used the Yelena. I was using the Tarantula for the challenges :D I forgot the Yelena was there, I never bothered using it cause I wanted to get the ammo packs later.

Also, beat it on Commando and got the Platinum! Woooo!

I learned that lesson on completing the swinging Tarantula challenge late in the game, as its already rare to begin with.

Nice to see more joining the Go-Go Bionic club :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

lol this game...

I was too busy paying attention to collectibles and challenges to care about the story, so the twists looked pretty dumb. WTF is with the finale? A bunch of cutscenes and a QTE. Wow, how entertaining.

• 5 weeks later...