Some tips to ease the pain (minor spoilers)

Maldovar

For anyone who is getting frustrated with completing the game I found a few helpful things while playing through which may make the game far more completable, especially on Commando, depending on where you may be stuck. Hopefully others will add on here as this thread goes and share their own tips.

When I killed one of the laser using mechs in the battle against two of them I grabbed his gun and was about to throw it at the other mech when I noticed that hitting the square button would allow you to equip it. I had to play with this, so I tried it out. You get an unlimited ammo weapon which is usable in burst fire as it has an overheat gauge to it. It doesn't replace your current secondary weapon, however, it restricts you from jumping or rappelling and slows your movement to a crawl. I also tested and you can throw it as many times as you want without destroying it to get it to where you need it, then equip, and it DOES carry over from one zone to the next through the load screens. Not very useful on Commando, but in some areas with waves of enemies it can be fun on lower difficulties.

When battling air mechs, do not run from them or try to dodge unless there are multiple ones. Rather, let them jump into the air to hover and target you. Shoot the ball of energy they create on their left before they throw it at you. It will explode and damage them, then spin them around and open their weak spot up for further damage. Usually they will then try to throw another. Repeat until dead. In the case of multiple air mechs, find something to hide behind, then back up until they prepare to attack, perform above tactic then move forward again before the second one fires so that his energy attack is blocked by whatever you're hiding behind (or just shoot both balls as they form them, depending on the timing of the attacks).

Against Groeder: after he gets below half health he calls a swarm of drones to attack you which can be brutal on Commando difficulty, as he was one hit killing me if I couldn't see which attack was coming from him. As soon as the fight starts jump under the platform and get a good swing going (you should ideally have the SMJG for this). The drones are hanging out down there and will almost always miss you. You can destroy them all, then return topside and battle Groeder. When he tries to summon the swarm none will come.

For the swarm in the underground cave, it may have been luck, but a well placed bulldog shot right as they begin their attack will wipe out enough to cause the rest to flee (you'll notice that they come in a tightly packed swarm and only split apart after they become attackable).

Hope this helps someone out there. I figured all of these out after my first playthrough and wished I had known about them beforehand. Figured I'd pass them on. Might be some others I'm not thinking of off-hand.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...