Invasion: Tips & Discussion

King_Ubu

I have a funny feeling that if theres anything on this game that is going to prevent people from getting their platinum... it's this.

I've just finished a game with 3 other random people, one of them 'knew' what to do, the other two were new to the game and one dropped out, the other guy caught on to what the best way was to tackle it, but he kept making mistakes.

We eventually got to round 20 before we all died... and it took over an hour!

I thought I'd share what I've learnt so far from playing and offer some tips, if others can share their tips it might help others get their trophies for this mode.

Invasion is split up into 50 rounds, and after 5 rounds you get a 'break,' a chance to change class and restock on ammo/change equipment.

As far as I can tell, Invasion more or less offers the same enemies each wave/round and each map. So what you fight on round 1 of one map, you fight on round one of another.

The number of enemies in each round is the same, regardless of player number, so aways attempt this with a full lobby if possible.

If possible, play with friends and use mics. I would imagine that a group of people playing regually will beat this in time.

You are given ammo which has to last the entire 5 rounds before each break, there are also ammo boxes around the map, these do not regenerate until the break, only ever use them if you are in desperate need of ammo, and by desperate need we're talking "you have no ammo left at all." Do not kill one robot/waste ammo and think 'oh I'll just use these' because chances are you'll need them when you near the end of the 5th wave.

This is more personal preference, but it does seem to help. When it comes to adding equipment, always go for first aid, then if you have the points left. Pick a secondary weapon, I usually go for the shotgun since it's go a generous ammo count and the ammo boxes will also fill it's ammo. Also consider taking an extra grenade.

Every 5 waves has a 'theme' of sorts, it usually offers up a certain enemy and throws in something new.

1-5 = Green robots. Round 5 finishes with two giant minigun robots. Save grenades for them and aim for the head.

6-10 = Green robots, shielded robots, monkey robots, giant miniguns. The monkey bots, you can take out very easilly if you're holding any shotgun and melle them. The shielded robots, try and out flank them, or if possible, close in on them, then run past them, turn and fire or roll dodge, the robot will turn exposing itself to your partner.

11-15 = Get a sniper rifle or die! The moment round 11 starts, there are sniper robots all over the place, including some taking positions outside of the arena, they go down with one shot of a sniper rifle. More shielded robots and monkeys, more minigun robots.

16-19 = Round 16 starts with small red spider things, when they go into a ball, run like hell! They're about to explode, do not worry about targetting these, when they self destruct it counts as a 'kill' go for the greens. You'll a lot of shielded robots and they're much tougher than the earlier ones, flanking them is the way to go.

At some point in this section, a giant black robot appears carrying what looks like a machine gun, take this out at long range! It's not a minigun, it's a rocket launcher, a 1 hit and you are dead rocket launcher.

20-25 = the moment round 20 starts you are surrounded by these very large black robots, they will run quickly, jump over obsticles, by the sniper rifle and use it on them, 3 hits and they go down.

25 - 40 = Security robots, buy the sniper rifle again, pick soldier as your class or heavy gunner. Zombies will also appear, use an automatic rifle/weapon.

40-45 = Red robots, these things run like crazy, can hit you at extreme range and take tons of ammo before they go down. stage 45 ends with 4 herculies robots, at least two carry rocket launchers

45-50 = Security turret (the small blue things), they take a ton of ammo to go down.

(this is as far as I've currently got, in the later stages those small spider like turret things appear).

If anyone else has taken on this and has some other advice or questions, feel free to share them.

Edited by King_Ubu

I've gotten to round 33 or 34 and that took a couple of hours. I found using the heavy with the LMG and buying a sniper rife for your second weapon worked best. The sniper rife was taken down some of the bad guys in 3 shots.

I was finding when you were getting close to level 30 there was a few new enemy types I'd not encountered earlier on, the blue dudes that looked like policemen were like bullet sponges.

The map I was playing on was the one that had a set of stairs on the right hand side of the map, my team camped up in the stairs which made snipping easy and the robots could only come at you from one direction.

i got to round 43 they drop red robots that they run to assault you and some green robots with shields the hardest part was shooting the red ones they take your heal pretty easy and have decent armor

edit: do we need to finsh 50 waves in all maps ?

Edited by archnero

edit: do we need to finsh 50 waves in all maps ?

Correct.

Although I was wondering... some maps have 'safe zones,' well... zones which tend to give the player an advantage.

On that open city map it's the staircase.

the circle one which has the fountain in the centre, theres a section of this map which has a small corridor leading to a ladder that takes you to the lowest point. If that small area is still there on Invasion, it might be a key area to hide in, whilst Monkey bots can jump up to this hight, I don't know if the normal robots can, meaning it's a single corridor which would bottle neck the robots, but still offer you an escape out of it. But you would need to watch out for explosives/rocket attacks.

Also, rank 50's all skills unlocked would help, possibly completing the game on the hardest difficulty would also be an advantage?

Correct.

Although I was wondering... some maps have 'safe zones,' well... zones which tend to give the player an advantage.

On that open city map it's the staircase.

the circle one which has the fountain in the centre, theres a section of this map which has a small corridor leading to a ladder that takes you to the lowest point. If that small area is still there on Invasion, it might be a key area to hide in, whilst Monkey bots can jump up to this hight, I don't know if the normal robots can, meaning it's a single corridor which would bottle neck the robots, but still offer you an escape out of it. But you would need to watch out for explosives/rocket attacks.

Also, rank 50's all skills unlocked would help, possibly completing the game on the hardest difficulty would also be an advantage?

we play in a team of four in the robot industry we find a good spot to defend near the ammunition

Our problem start when Re-TRO got kick from the game we manage to survive 10 waves but the 40 wave is pretty tought without and extra person

the industry is not wide open with a team of 4 you can make it just need to divide the team in two groups so you can defend both sides

i was in some cardboxes with height so i can shoot everyone with the sniper (they need like 4-5 shoot body to die) dja was covering in a low level he just shoot the guys that came rushing

then Re-tro left and dja need to help PROXY and i couldn't manage to stop so many rush robots so it was a matter of time we die but if you have a team of four you can make it no need of level 50 at least in this stage

the other thing that need to be careful are :

1: buy always med-kits

2: if you die use the med-kit even is the wave is going to finish, you better use it because the next round you revive they take everything from you ( except primary weapon and pistol)

3: try too shoot the Hercules from far don't let them get to close or you are dead especially with grenade launchers

4: beware of robots grenades they do pretty good damages i manage to survive one but only with full head

5: for the shield robots, shoot it in the leg they are pretty slow so take your time

6: as king say you need to find a key spot and stay there to defend if it with your life and don't let your teammates die their weapons can help you clear this

7: work as a team if you have mic at least one is better, dont rush, and stay together

well i hope the list help this was from my personal experience we were 2 hours doing this just to die :(

but i have a good time :D

sorry for my English

Edited by archnero

If the game hadn't booted Re-tro we would have totally steam rolled it. Invasion wasn't hard at all but there seems to be a case of unusual happenings when I was playing with you guys. One was that when I died that second time before the end I was actually killed by nothing and just collapsed without a bleed out time which makes me wonder if the game might be buggy.

I also made an Invasion game in PUBLIC but the challenges for getting to wave 40 didn't unlock either which makes me a little worried.

As stated you just need a good supply of medkits and to make sure that every plays out their role well.

First of all Re-tro and Archnero were using sniper rifles for the later levels which seemed to be a god send but we came across the problem of the zombie robots that get too close for snipers and I found that using the shotgun for the blacks and zombies was the best defence. So having two guys with sniper rifles as a secondary and two guys with a shotgun as a back up would be perfect as I saved Arch's rear a lot thanks to the different load out.

Chaff grenades seem a lot more useful than frag grenades too for the later levels. At some points we were about to be overrun by the red and white auto pistol police bots and throwing a chaff between two forces them to both fight each other and giving you ample time to drop them while they are distracted.

Hopefully we will be able to try tackling it at the weekend or monday, tuesday. As after I only got 5 hrs sleep last night before work after our session :-p

Archnero can you remember when Dja fell back to that large crate for his last stand before running out into wrong direction? It might be a good fall back point if we begin to get over run as the two shotgunners can use the corners to provide close cover for the bend on the left if you and Re-tro stood at the back with your snipers.

Edited by noirproxy

well you need someone to clear the way because both ways are infected with robots but maybe you can hide or run in the room were we start fighting the black rush robots

i don't see any other place

so it was you who was covering me for the robots i thought it was dja i could only kill one because got to reload but you covered me a lot of times

I wish retro was there me and dja was making a good defense there but the best way is to resist there i didnt see a better escape route

now i remeber yes there is a box to cover for last defense .

Edited by archnero

No Dja was covering you for most of the match but for those last few waves where he was helping me, you were being swarmed by zombie bots like flies on s**t and I was able to clean them up with little effort by using the shotgun. But yeah I think we should have a sniper/ shotgun team for both sides, though you could probably pull off you and Dja with snipers for the long corridor you defend and Re-tro with sniper and me using shotgun for close range clean up. :applause:

Such a shame that the game takes away all your stuff.

well dja was using light machines maybe he needs to buy shotgun for secondary

y can cover the corridor if i have a partner helping me with the close kills and i remeber that place that you say it was at the back of me is a giant box you can shotgun there if we stay together y can change to my primary weapon which is a an assault rifle for close combat

well at least we made it far i hope we can make it in the other maps :D

i just notice it didn't record my stats in invasion i think we must way to the end when the server ask us to change maps if the host quits you lose all progress

Edited by archnero

We will give each map a go as a practice run first I think. We should obviously get used to the three maps at least once and try and figure out the best vantage point e.g. the corridor section we used, the stairs on the other map, etc.

It just shows how much one extra player can matter in determining victory or failure on this game.

We will give each map a go as a practice run first I think. We should obviously get used to the three maps at least once and try and figure out the best vantage point e.g. the corridor section we used, the stairs on the other map, etc.

It just shows how much one extra player can matter in determining victory or failure on this game.

no only that the ammunition is important i run out off bullet two times in middle of the battle and need to go to your zone to take some

this advantage points we need them no be near ammunition i think

Changing up your abilities for certain maps could be good too, such as if you require to go a short distance for ammo during a heavy firefight then might be good to equip the improved evade roll perk and just barrel roll to your ammo box.

Last night I equipped: Improved damage, improved ranged defence, extra points per kill, and improved grenades or medkits.

Having a dedicated medic might be a good idea actually who can carry more. So having a sniper have the extra medkits means that they are out of danger for the most part and won't lose the kits like if someone closer to the fight would if they died. They can then just quickly roll to the injured and stabby stab.

Changing up your abilities for certain maps could be good too, such as if you require to go a short distance for ammo during a heavy firefight then might be good to equip the improved evade roll perk and just barrel roll to your ammo box.

Last night I equipped: Improved damage, improved ranged defence, extra points per kill, and improved grenades or medkits.

Having a dedicated medic might be a good idea actually who can carry more. So having a sniper have the extra medkits means that they are out of danger for the most part and won't lose the kits like if someone closer to the fight would if they died. They can then just quickly roll to the injured and stabby stab.

well we can do that we only need perk for damage, medkits and evade roll y hope i can put them all

Having just told everyone that I officially give up on this... I was wondering.

How many boxes of ammo are there by the time it gets to round 40? it's gotta be at least 10 isn't it?

So with that in mind... How viable is this tactic, especially considering the risk involved.

What if... 3 people buy the sniper rifle... one person buys the two shot rocket launcher.... the 3 people take out/do as much damage as they can, then when when the ammo starts to run dry/out the guy with the rocket launcher starts firing. He alone uses the ammo boxes, the ammo does restock rocket launchers.

Before you think 'thats crazy' heres my reasoning for it.

Quite often the robots bunch up, especially when they jump over the barricades. Would a rocket launcher not take them all out? Even if it didn't destroy them all, it would certainly free up the others from the barrage that would be there otherwise. Whoever had the rocket launcher could of course use his head, not use it all the time.

Opinions?

well is a bad idea sniper rifles s consumes lot of ammo in wave 50 y only see 4 boxes we already use them all

if a rocket launcher use that he will take all the ammo leaving the other guys with nothing and the second thing we don't know how many hits those robots can get if they survive one rocket launcher we are fuck

i prefer using grenade to put the herculean to our side so the robot can kill her

2 sniper and two shotgun guys can keep the robots in his place and put a decent defense of line while the snipers takes all the enemies that are coming and support the team

if you found a good place to defend and you have 4 guys you can make im sure of that we manage to make to wave 50 with only 3 guys if you have 4 guys you can make it im sure of that

for the boxes i count them

they are 10 in the middles

then like 6 boxes in the sides

Edited by archnero

The thing with the sniper rifle. Considering what damage it does, and the range they have, is there any weapon thats better that doesn't eat up ammo like theres no tomorrow?

The auto shotgun takes out the robots, but also takes out a full clip to do it, and you have to be at a very short distance to make the kill, this is very risky.

If someone had enough points saved, they could try the 6 shot rocket launcher. But I don't know if you can pick up ammo whilst holding it, and the speed in which you move when holding it would be a huge disadvantage.

Edit: There is a stinger missile launcher that you can buy, it's not in the normal multiplayer so it's often overlooked, it costs 1000 credits, so chances are it's not as powerful as the others. But it has 4 shots, there is however a catch, switch to your main weapon and it drops, unsure if you can pick it up again or not.

Edited by King_Ubu

3 Snipers and a shotgun seems best. Though you could always equip the Striker class and use the shotgun and then buy the sniper rifle at 40 to add that extra punch. The problem is that enemies are so accurate that if you have a skin flake of your elbow sticking out then they will down you on site which was the reason for most of my deaths. The main thing you need to worry about it waves 49 and 50.

When we got to 50 we were ultimately surround by Hercules and Speedy Reds which means that you need a hell of a lot of chaff to counter it all. The best way of doing so would be for each player to equip extra grenades perk and then buying max chaff on 45 and not using it till 49 and 50. If you have each player use one chaff at 49 when the time arises in that desperate moment then that still means you have 8 chaff grenades left.

Wave 50 consists of 2 minigun and 2 rocket lance Hercules at the very end so if you each at threw a grenade at a time

at one you would eventually only have one enemy left. You could also use chaff to do an ammo and escape run from the corner youre stuck in and give yourself more room. This requires top notce coordination though so everyone needs mics.

we made it and finish 50 waves it was a bloddy hell we manage to find a new trick

well we were 3 light machineguns with following perks and one shotgun guy

golem: 5 medkits, and more ammo

archnero: more ammo,1+nade, 1+ med kit

arin: same as achnero

silent: same as archnero

for weapons:

golem: light machine gun, sniper dlc, decoy

archnero: light machinegun, sniper, chaff

arin: light machine gun, shotgun secondary, chaff

silent: shotgun, machine gun secondary buy , decoy

well from wave 10 to 45 we play as normal two guys snipes the other two defend the other hallway and when we were surrounded we fall back

from wave 45+ it comes the riot shield( yes as i say a shield XD) one guy use the riot shield and stand in our last defense all the robot were just attacking him while we have great shoots to them.

when a guy run out of ammo he just melee the riot guy and change

that how we manage to beat the 45 to 50 thanks to the riot shield

and for the last battle we didn't have ammo boxes but 3 guys were full ammo and we manage to beat it

Yeah should be able to. Who knows, the thing might be more stable after it's had the downtime... .. ... well it might.. =p

We'll all be connected previously for longer than it should take us to beat it, so we can do it. If it really is that simple as 'riot shield' then it should give us an advantage... heck fight the bots hand to hand if it is that simple.

Even if we die we'll learn a lot from what happens when the riot shield is active.

yeah beware of rocket launcher herculean they will kill you you need to put the riot shield guy in a proper way and have one guy kill the robots that goes to him because they star kicking the riot shield but i notice that even if they kick the riot shield you receive no damage XD

and we careful of snipers if two snipers shot you at the same time you are dead with no recover time and well thats all i learn in that stage we will try tomorrow other stage and see if we manage to make something XD

edit: tomorrow im free i will see if my team is doing it if not i help you guys

i didn't mention before but in that fight i got 2 med kits left and golem 3 we manage to do a great defense there thanks to riot shield is unbreakable is like a gods shield

and don't leave the riot shield on the ground too much time or it will disappear

Edited by archnero