This game actually achieved a technical marvel that's been a plague on games for year

BBoy2020

I noticed this during the game and posted it on GameFAQs;

"What I appreciate for in this game is that it consistently has characters UNDER the covers and it looks DECENT. Remember in Heavy Rain when Ethan put Shaun under the covers and it was just this awful, bland, ugly yellow texture? Before that, pretty much all games had their characters inexcusably above the covers."

They still haven't gotten motion capture down PERFECTLY. There are still quite a bit of scenes in Beyond that look a bit silly because the mocap starts freaking out with the character's mouths (two specific scenes I can think of are when they show Norah giving birth, and young Jodie channeling Nathan's wife).

They still haven't gotten motion capture down PERFECTLY. There are still quite a bit of scenes in Beyond that look a bit silly because the mocap starts freaking out with the character's mouths (two specific scenes I can think of are when they show Norah giving birth, and young Jodie channeling Nathan's wife).

Yes, I thought exactly the same thing.

LA Noire is still the peak of mo-cap in gaming, imo, but B:TS comes very close, and a lot of the finer detail in the backgrounds is better.

Yeah, they really messed up the motion capture during the channeling sequences. It seems they got the voice actresses to speak the role, but didn't get Ellen Page to lip-sync it, and instead tried to splice it together, but didn't do too well.

What's worse is the camera moves to show the deceased person speaking, and then back to Jodie showing her teeth like a grinning monkey. It's very hard to watch without smiling. :p

Edited by Crimson Ridley

Indeed, that part of the graphics has gotten quite the bump in quality. I can't wait to see what they'll be able to get out of the PS4 in a few years. The PS4-generated little clip you unlock as one of the bonuses in Beyond: Two Souls already showed some stuff that amazed me.

That clip is old news. Its from 2012 and its using PS3 graphics, not 4.

Oh wow, I forgot one big thing this game has over Heavy Rain; NO INTERACTIVE SEX SCENE. It's like they learned in this game that it's pretty much impossible to show a sex scene in a game and have it not look like a complete joke. The one sex scene in the game cuts to afterwards respectfully.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fpr me it's the lips almost perfectly in-sync with the speech. There is actually an expression in there somewhere... compared to Heavy Rain, this is a leap forward. And great improvement with MoCap and the detail on their faces.

This makes me wonder what Quantic's PS4 game will look like

The Dark Sorcerer clip? It even states it's running on PS4. Kara was running on PS3.

So is the Sorcerer a real human being merged with a CGI environment or was that pure CGI... if it's indeed computer generated, it's awesome. They've perfected the human CGI.

Oh wow, I forgot one big thing this game has over Heavy Rain; NO INTERACTIVE SEX SCENE.

Probably down to Ellen Paige no agreeing to it I guess... Image and "packaging" is everything for celebs I guess. They have to protect their careers.

One thing in a game that really impressed me was in Metal Gear Solid 2, you could knock over a glass full of ice and the ice melted into a puddle of water :eek:

I showed my friend that and he was like "...So. I can do that right now in the kitchen if you like?".

I don't think he fully appreciated it like I did.

One thing that I'd like to see is a piece of paper that actually flapped and behaved like paper, not two pieces of card on a hinge...

Honestly, I'm not too surprised with Beyond's graphical side since it's 100% motion capture. The more pingpong balls they put on the bed covers, the better it's going to look...

• 7 months later...

While I agree that they finally have characters under covers it annoyed my that it only seemed to cover their legs and nothing else. I mean during the "Imaginary Friend" chapter its freaking winter and Jodie only has some thin piece of fabric covering her legs. wtf?! Its like her parents want her to die of hypothermia in the night.