Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Pokkit_

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/spoiler.pngWARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/spoiler.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Beyond: Two Souls. This thread has been created to discuss anything Beyond: Two Souls related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread. This thread is immune.

Edited by BreadSkin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent enough game but I liked Heavy Rain much better. Really didn't feel attached to this story or characters as much. Might be because of the way the narrative is structured. You don't find out key elements until much later in the game. Because of this I found myself wondering "Why am I doing this? Why should I care?" Making someone cry or get hurt isn't going to get me invested on it's own. The case is sweet though.

I'd give it anywhere from a 6.5 to no higher than 7.5/10.

Edited by duhu1148

Decent enough game but I liked Heavy Rain much better. Really didn't feel attached to this story or characters as much. Might be because of the way the narrative is structured. You don't find out key elements until much later in the game. Because of this I found myself wondering "Why am I doing this? Why should I care?" Making someone cry or get hurt isn't going to get me invested on it's own. The case is sweet though.

I'd give it anywhere from a 6.5 to no higher than 7.5/10.

I totally agree with you. The narrative feels really disjointed and it's hard to care about what's happening when you jump from one period to another.

Really disappointing in terms of story.

I totally agree with you. The narrative feels really disjointed and it's hard to care about what's happening when you jump from one period to another.

Really disappointing in terms of story.

I didn't have any issues with the jumping around in time. When I was younger I read and loved Slaughterhouse Five which, if you aren't aware, features a similar time jumping structure, so I'm cool with that kind of storytelling. It allows you to explore an evolution of similar thematic elements in a row without it feeling contrived that such events would happen chronologically in a row.

The only problem I had was the result of trying to play it from what I felt would be Jodie's perspective at each period in her life: a shy little girl, a rebellious teenager, or confident young woman (which, in turn, affected how I felt Aiden would behave at each point as well). It would often take a moment for me to readjust from making strong choices as CIA agent Jodie to making passive choices as little girl Jodie.

Other than that, though, the only real issues I had dealt with some of the gameplay mechanics that I feel could have gotten better since Heavy Rain but didn't. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot, and I can't wait to see what kind of graphics QD can pump out from the PS4.

I loved the story. While the story structure isn't like Heavy Rain (linear, but broken into segments, so you can see it unfold through different perspectives), the structure actually works best for this type of story.

For starters, you start with a mystery surrounding this girl, and the unusual events that follow in her life, at one point your are a little girl, still fearfull of the world, the next you are pretty much killing cops and whatsnot, showing different aspects of her growth in the world, and the places she ends up. The story is not so much about the events that happen (that is to say the whole portal to the other side), but it's more a story about growth and the bonds she develops with people, and mostly so with the entity that is permanently bound to her.

Just the way you learn things about the characters, and the circumstances that compel them to perform certain actions, just keeps the story going. I loved it, it was like lost, but better structured and a lot cleaner.

Also, the ending was sublime. I loved that little "I'm still here" message. it almost made me cry, and I'm one of those people that seldom feels anything.

Such a amazing game and story, one of those types of games that you can play the whole thing in one sitting and then need to get in extra sleep for the next few nights.

Damn, that story was good and there's a fucking sequel. My god. Dream or no dream. That future will become a reality.

Really? I was hoping there would be a second game after the ending, or at the very least some dlc, but what David Cage said after Heavy Rain left me with little hope of seeing a much needed sequel for Beyond. Though the question is then will it continue from one of the endings where Jodie is alone or when she is with Zoe.

I feel sorry for him :/ He felt like a real father to me...

I was streaming my gameplay live, and amongst all my stream monsters, we determined that Beyond Two Souls should actually be named "Dad Hunter 2013: The Ellen Paige Experience". She spends the majority of the game collecting father figures.

And Momma Cole is the real hero.

I would give the game an 8/10... Heavy Rain a 10/10. The game was just far too long.

I was streaming my gameplay live, and amongst all my stream monsters, we determined that Beyond Two Souls should actually be named "Dad Hunter 2013: The Ellen Paige Experience". She spends the majority of the game collecting father figures.

And Momma Cole is the real hero.

I would give the game an 8/10... Heavy Rain a 10/10. The game was just far too long.

You didn't really answer my question -_-

Though Cole was awesome ;D

Just finished the game myself, and I really liked it.

I will say I wish it was a little more linear, as a lot of the time the sense of danger was missing or more-so the surprise was gone since it's pretty hard to actually die in the game, if you can. Especially the last infiltration mission where you see that you get captured, then start the mission skiing through the snow. I hate it when games/movies/tv episodes begin with the protagonists in a dire situation, then cut to "10 hours earlier" or other such nonsense.

The who-is-Aiden reveal was pretty cool. Glad to not have seen that one coming. :)

Lots of great humorous touches, like the rebel-teen Jodie blasting the guitar solo and annoying Cole's ears.

dat twist ending :eek:

Aiden was her unborn twin brother.

I watched all the SAW movies so the non-chronological thing didn't bother me.

The only issue I had with the game was that sometimes it was hard to tell which direction to move during the slow-mo action scenes.

This game gets a solid 9/10 from me. As did Heavy Rain.

Edited by oversoul53

I agree, though the more you play the game, the better you learn the little nuances of her body that tell you where to move. I am able to flawlessly complete most of the QTE's. Though there are still a few where I'd make a mistake or two...

9/10 from me as well, thank you Gamespot.

Do you have any tips for figuring out what direction she's going in? Even playing through it a couple times, I'm still botching the fight scenes a good majority of the time.

Do you have any tips for figuring out what direction she's going in? Even playing through it a couple times, I'm still botching the fight scenes a good majority of the time.

Well... watch her hands and body and try to figure out the context.

She usually tries to move in the correct direction, if not then try to avoid the obstacle at hand.

There is usually enough time to think a bit before pressing the direction ;)

Well... watch her hands and body and try to figure out the context.

She usually tries to move in the correct direction, if not then try to avoid the obstacle at hand.

There is usually enough time to think a bit before pressing the direction ;)

Did anyone else have the problem of the game being too dark? There were several fight scenes where I actually couldn't see which way she was moving. I paused the game but there were no video settings to adjust.....:(

I will say I wish it was a little more linear, as a lot of the time the sense of danger was missing or more-so the surprise was gone since it's pretty hard to actually die in the game, if you can. Especially the last infiltration mission where you see that you get captured, then start the mission skiing through the snow. I hate it when games/movies/tv episodes begin with the protagonists in a dire situation, then cut to "10 hours earlier" or other such nonsense.

The non-linear timeline was one of the best things about the game. I enjoy the "flash forwards" even though it gives you a sorta spoiler about what will happen. It's not just about what happens, but how it happens. And when I'm shown something like the main character in an interrogation room I am eager to see how they got there.

Did anyone else have the problem of the game being too dark? There were several fight scenes where I actually couldn't see which way she was moving. I paused the game but there were no video settings to adjust.....:(

Yes, however I am using a capture card pass-through which let's me adjust a few things extra. Switching to full RGB fixed the issue.

Now everything that was pitched black is just black and most of the things that were black are now gray or easily visible. No other workaround I could find :/

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the acting was phenomenal and that the story was fantastic. I thought the endings were amazing too. I enjoyed the stealth sequences A LOT. Duo Mode was also a very cool and fun addition. The party scene was also excellently crafted. The only real negative thing about the thing was the fact I rarely knew what direction the QTE's wanted to take me. That was cool though, because I liked it being seamless like you are actually making moves during a cut scene. I thought the graphics were spectacular too. I had no problems with the story skipping around it was fragmented like Jodie's mind. In my opinion I easily give this game a 9.5-10 range.