Beyond Good And Evil HD Opinions

So last Tuesday Ubisoft finally released Beyond Good and Evil HD on the PlayStation Store. I have a few questions and concers about this title after having some bad experiences with some of Ubisofts other "HD Remake" titles *cough *cough Prince of Persion HD Collection. What I would like to know from people who have already purchased and played the PSN version is:

1. Does sound randomly skip, drop out, or even seem muted alittle?

2. Are there any framerate drops?

3. Is the game worth $9.99?

1. The sound gets REALLY loud during the races.

2. There are quite a few glitches that cause you to restart the game. Like falling into black holes when sneaking against ledges on buildings/towers, getting stuck on an invisible wall or elevators not working properly.

3. Sometimes when you "Quit Game" the PS3 will restart.

4. Trophies have a hard time "synching" in-game through the XMB

5. Yes, it's still worth $9.99.

And not to mention the horrible camera and its controls expecially when in boat at later levels.

I had all of these happen to me except for NSYNC's number 4.In special the camera in boat levels and the black hole glitch which made me lose 3 hours or so of gameplay made me quite mad :mad:

But still its a nice game, played it on the PC when it first came out but only got to slaughterhouse level, never finished it.

After finishing it today I must say I enjoyed playing it but was nevertheless quite disappointed with the story.

You know, having "beyond good and evil" in the name made me think the game would actually have some kind of morality twist or something. In the end everything went well :confused:

What I would like to know from people who have already purchased and played the PSN version is:

As for #1; there's a cutscene towards the very end where the sound/music/voice overs all go completely mute sometimes, but I seem to remember this also happened in the original PS2 version. I might be mistaken, though.

Btw, I'm not sure why so many people are bothered by the camera controls. Did they change them or something? I didn't notice anything different from the original while playing the HD version myself...

On the other hand, there's that minigame "Yo Pearl" which apparently has messed up controls now. I've read it's different from the original version and impossibly hard because of it (can't argue with that, I'm no good at it either). But I can't remember if it was really different in the original version. In any case, at least there's no trophy linked to that minigame. =P

And yes, despite some obvious flaws, I don't have any regrets having purchased this game again. I'd say it's still worth getting, but that's just me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the sound is off sometimes. I had Dialogue not be spoken a few times. Also the dialogue is quieter than other things (music/soundeffects) so I wish there were options to make it louder. You can use subtitles to fix this problem.

The race levels are indeed WAY louder than anything else in the game and you will get annoyed hearing that announcer.

I didn't notice any problems in my playthrough

YES.

It's cheap for a HD port so it's a pretty good deal. Despite its flaws, the game is so well presented and has a great mood. It is pretty easy to get into the world and characters and gameplay mechanics. I got used to the camera pretty quickly and the controls were easier than what i remembered.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I have a question for this thread. Is the game worth purchasing for someone who never played the original? I stupidly thought it was a kid game (because of the humanoid animals and pig partner). I played the PSN demo and it was fun, but I heard that the end boss is punishingly, cause you to stop playing games forever difficult. Is this true?

I did pretty good in the demo (didn't die at all and only lost part of one heart). Despite the fun on the demo, I am still on the fence about purchasing it. Please help.

Edited by DarqueDragon

I played the PSN demo and it was fun, but I heard that the end boss is punishingly, cause you to stop playing games forever difficult. Is this true?

I did pretty good in the demo (didn't die at all and only lost part of one heart). Despite the fun on the demo, I am still on the fence about purchasing it. Please help.

The final boss can be rather challenging. At least, I remember struggling with that battle on my first playthrough. But for some reason I had zero problems with it when I replayed the game with the HD version. So now I'm not sure how hard I would rate the final boss anymore...

Doesn't really matter, though. If you want to play it safe, you can spend some time getting more money and stocking up on lots and lots of healing items before going to the final area of the game. With enough healing items at your disposal, you have little to worry about for the final battle. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well the one thing i want to point about this re-release that it's glitchy. I played this game back in the day on PC and i never encountered any glitch during my playthrough. On the PS3 version other hand after 3 - 3.5 hour's of playing the game broke twice.

Once i fell through the floor to abyss (but at least that happened after a save point) and later when i had gone without saving for like 30 minutes the game glitched again and i lost all the progression since the last save. What happened was that there is this optional (i think) level where you avoid lasers and need to sneak around. End of that level there is an elevator that goes up and there is holes in the wall where there are enemies standing and you have to avoid their gazes by hiding behind crates. I made it to the top and when i was about to leave the platform the elevator started heading down.

And it stopped after a short while....leaving me on a place where i couldn't leave.

Killed the whole thing for me.

But it's not like the game is rosy anyway. The music is great and i like the pig character and taking pictures but the game and sneaking mechanics are absolutely fucking atrocious.

It so pisses me off that ubisoft had chance to fix the camera but they didn't do it. Same applies to glitches.

I know i should have known better considering they did same kind of shitty job with POP and Splinter Cell.

But i didn't. Well at least the game was cheap.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Forget the graphics.  I am not going to complain about that... but the combat and hovercraft controls and the bloody camera?  What the heck was that all about?  My first time playing it.  Avoided it for so long since getting it FREE on PS Plus aeons ago, no nostalgic or sentimental attachment either so I am seeing the game as it is.  Fun as it may be, I do not think it aged well...

Whacky Camera.

Take a photo and instead of shooting what is in front of us, it turns away in a different direction.  The chase-cam is also crazy, making battles quite difficult to follow.

Photo Collectibles.

It would have been great to be able to check photos that were already taken and not just the ones we have on the current reel.

Spoiler

I am missing one animal which the map shows is on the Black Isle or Treasure Volcano. I cannot find it anywhere.  I am aware that we do not have to get them all, it is just a personal challenge to complete the whole set.

EDIT: Found the bugger.  It is the Polypodi Amoeba, found a narrow passage way behind the bridge with a 'no-entry' barrier and a skull (danger) sign.  The animal will pop behind some rocks.

This bridge is the one next to the K-Bups machine that was locked behind a gate and Pey'J had to open it with a bolt cutter.

The saving system is a bit laborious.

Then again so were most games at the time. The animation just to put in the disc and then to retrieve it, even if it is just for a second was unnecessary.  FFX comes to mind with its simple yet efficient save points - simply just touch, tick-tock then go.

Mini-games are ass.

Spoiler

The Looters Caverns

The controls of the hovercraft are infuriating, takes a lot of getting used to.  I came in with around with U17,500 and came out with only U14,000 from getting penalised for repeatedly failing.  The second cavern has an invisible wall that blocks the hovercraft from getting through the course, just right before Gate 1.  Had to shoot and boost to force my way through at the first laser-corner after countless retries.

And that fucking annoying unskippable cutscene at every restart?  I swear if I hear Pey'J say 'Sweet Jesus, Jade lookout...' again I will lose my shit! I also ended up literally getting bankrupt - U0.00 left after completing Looters Cavern 3.

That Air-hockey game.

What kind of random shit is this?  We cannot even chose which puck to push forward, the game picks it for us?  Then to restart the mini-game we have to walk over towards Francis every time.  Instead of pressing :square: immediately because the devs positioned a CODE machine next to the game table. 

At U1,000 per game and with U7,000 in the wallet, so does that mean I only have 7 retries before I go bankrupt again?  Good thing we have an MDisc Reader (save point) nearby.  I just have to save-scum the crap out of the game.

EDIT:  Got the pearl eventually, lost just one game but carried on after winning three matches for the trophy.  Then went to play Peepers to win some of that money back.  This part was too stressful for my linking, especially with the old DS3's :ls: stick - so hard to aim.

Now imagine if a trophy is tied up to winning a score attack on the 'dual-stick' Pearl Game?  We bloody RIOT!

ID before buying stuff.

It was novel idea at first but that starts to get tiring and annoying after a while.

Spoiler

JFC what a waste of time.  Just let me buy the items already please! 

The inability to sell stuff was also a miss.  Not that other RPG or open world games did not have them at the time.  I have too much of some other items which I wished we could sell so I can buy K-Bups instead.  Need to stock up on them for the final boss battle.

Again I will refer to the Final Fantasy series with regards to this, the idea has been out there for shops to buy and sell and yet the devs did not think of that.

User Interface.

Cannot use the D-pad to navigate through the menus?  Really guys?

Spaceship Controls?

What the actual FUCK Michel AncelInverted controls? Mon Dieu monsieur... putain!

Edited by Naps
... aneurysm... stroke... nose bleed...