Beat Hazard Ultra - Trophy Guide & Road Map

Apostrophe

Beat Hazard Ultra Trophy/Challenge/Beginner's Guide

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/ico.png

Overview:

Estimated Trophy Difficulty: 2

Offline: 14 (11 (B), 2 (S), 1 (G))

Online: 0

Approximate time to 100%: 10 hours (Veteran requires 10 hours of play)

Minimum playthroughs: 100+ (100! requires 100 songs played)

Missable trophies: 0

Glitched trophies: 0

Do cheats disable trophies?: No Cheats

Does difficulty affect trophies?: Yes, For Two Challenges (Completely Insane & Tough Guy)

Introduction:

Writing a Roadmap/Trophy/Challenge Guide for this game is unique due to the style of the gameplay. The trophies simply consist of finishing all the challenges, and the gameplay is so opened-ended that no two people are likely to get the Challenges in the exact same order. So instead, I've opted to include a basic understanding of the game to make mastering it much easier with tips on completing the Challenges. It's similar to a Roadmap, except, well, not an actual map.

The Basics:

Beat Hazard Ultra is the type of unique twin-stick shooter you'd get if you took the classic game Asteroids, cranked it up to 11, and injected it into an audio visualizer. It's unique in the fact that the entire level is created based on the music file you choose to play. Different enemies come out at different times in the song, and if the music gets intense, your shots are faster, stronger and spread out more. However, the enemies also speed up and come out in full force. If the music slows down, the enemies will too, but your ship's power will decrease. The game has unlimited replayability in that each time you want to face a new challenge, just load up a song from your collection.

A playthrough consists of a single song from start to finish. Upon successful completion of the song, your score will be posted to the leaderboards and all the points you earn will go towards ranking up your ship from a Trainee Recruit to Elite. There are 27 main ranks, and then upon hitting Elite, you will continually go up in Elite ranks. There is no known limit to the number of Elite Ranks. If you run out of lives before completing the song, you will still keep all the points and money that you earned, as well as the chance to rank up and unlock perks, but your score will not be posted to the leaderboards.

Your Ship:

At the start of your game, your ship is equipped with a simple gun. By picking up red POW icons, you can increase the power of your gun. By picking up yellow VOL icons, you can increase the volume of your shots, as well as the visual feedback and the volume of the music.

Both your POW and VOL meter can be increased by five levels. Upon increasing both all the way, you will reach "Beat Hazard" and have a fully powered up ship. If you should die, you will cause an explosion that will destroy some of the ships around you, but you will also lose POW and VOL. Thankfully, the game will also drop a bunch of pickups in the center of the screen so that you can get at least some of it back.

You also have a superbomb which, when used, will cause waves of bullets to spread out from around you, destroying most of the enemies in it's path. These will occasionally fall from the top center of the screen. You can carry up to five spare at the start by equipping and fully leveling up the Jamie Likes Big Boom perk.

There are three other weapons that can be unlocked via perks:

Micro Missiles - This will launch a bunch of tiny homing missiles that will automatically lock onto the most dangerous threat on the screen.

Ultra Beam - This shoots out a huge beam of light that will severely damage most enemies in it's path. Starting a new blast before the previous ends will cause the beam to get bigger, last longer, and do more damage.

Reflect Shield - This protects you from damage by destroying or bouncing away any enemies that should hit you. It will also cause enemies' weapons to turn back on the enemy.

Picking up multipliers will naturally increase your score. There are two other ways to increase your multiplier: Your Survival Meter (which raises the longer you stay alive) and the Dare Devil Meter (which raises the longer you go without shooting.) Once your multiplier gets high enough, it'll slowly start decreasing unless you keep getting more. You get more points by playing on harder difficulties and higher Visual Intensity.

The Perks:

As you play, you get to unlock and purchase different perks to customize the gameplay. You start out with the ability to equip five different perks, but you can purchase up to five more perk slots after unlocking the first perk on the list. Each time you rank up after a level, you can unlock a new perk (ranking up multiple times after one level will still only unlock one perk.)

• Gimme More Perks - Up to five extra perk slots
  • Life Saver - Start a level with up to two extra lives
  • Jamie Likes Big Boom - Start a level with up to 3 extra super bombs
  • Chart Topper - Start a level with up to a +15 multiplier boost
  • The Devil Pays Well - Adds up to an +8 bonus to your Dare Devil Multiplier
  • I Don't Die - Adds up to a +15 bonus to your Survival Multiplier
  • Multiplier Rain - Multipliers will drop from the top of the screen to the bottom at various times in the level
  • Score Booster - Get up to +19% more points
  • Spawn More Multipliers - Get up to a 39% chance of enemies dropping extra pickups
  • Goodie Bag - Start a level with various pickups lying around
  • Pump Up The Vol - Start the level with more Volume
  • Pow Pow Pow - Start the level with more Power
  • Micro Missiles - Enables Homing Missiles
  • More Micro Missiles - Start the level with up to 10 Missiles available
  • Midget Power - Increase the amount of Missiles shot out with each launch
  • Reflect Shield - Enables a Reflecting Shield
  • Extra Reflect Shield - Start the level with up to 10 Shields available
  • Stay Hidden - Increase the amount of time the Shield stays active
  • Ultra Beam - Enables a large beam of energy attack
  • Extra Ultra Beam - Start the level with up to 10 Ultra Beams available
  • Ultra Ultra Beam - Increase the amount of time the Ultra Beam is active
  • Insane - Unlock the Insane Difficulty
  • Suicidal - Unlock the Suicidal Difficulty

Gimme More Perks, Insane, and Suicidal stay active/available once you unlock them. You do not need to use a perk to enable them.

The Enemies:

Almost all the enemies are listed on the instructions screen, but I'll give some tactics here.

The Asteroids - Basically, they're giant balls of space debris. Blast one, and they will break off into various pieces that you will also need to blast.

Magnetic Asteroids - Same as above, except they have a red border around them. They will home in on you, getting faster the closer they get to you.

Scouts - Tiny ships that don't shoot. They often come out in waves. If you're not careful, they can crash into you.

Fighter - Bigger ships than the Scout who can shoot photons. These shots can be tough to see during a lot of the action (which is why you have the option to change then between red and green in the options menu.)

Bomber - These are even bigger ships than the Fighter. They will shoot homing missiles. Homing missiles can be either shot or reflected back onto the enemies by using the Shield.

Bulldog - Really huge ships who can take a lot of damage before they're destroyed. They often line up and follow you around.

Miner - These ships will circle the edges of the screen, dropping red homing mines behind them. If the mines should touch you, they will temporarily trap your ship inside a red energy field that will disable your ability to shoot. Shoot the mines when you can, because once one hits you, it's easy for more to hit you and keep you unable to defend yourself from other enemies.

Repulser - Huge ships that will zap you with a beam if you should get close enough. The beam will push you away from them and possibly into other enemies.

Reaper - Giant ships armed with homing missiles. They won't attack, but should you destroy one, all their missiles will launch at you. A good tactic for these guys is to wait until you're surrounded by them, then use a superbomb to destroy them all. When their missiles come in for the kill, turn on the shield and run into as many missiles as you can to turn their missiles against the other enemies of the screen.

Stalker - Similar to the Repulser, except their beam will grab you and suck you in towards them.

Swarm - These spinning enemies take the form of a giant ring that slowly closes in on the center of the screen. Often encountered in packs of two or three rings. Shooting a Swarm will knock it towards the edge of the screen, not in the opposite direction of the bullet. Very important to keep in mind if you're trying to destroy them from outside the ring.

Mini-Serpent - These guys are heavily armed and will shoot homing shots and photons. You'll need to destroy each section of the serpent to completely kill it. Your own homing missiles will target these enemies first. Should you use a smart bomb, the serpent will actually block the bomb's attack spread, stopping it from killing other enemies who happen to be behind the serpent.

Light Wisps (unofficial name) - These guys aren't on the Instructions screen. They're basically tiny balls of light who chase you in a line and act just like mines. The more intense the music, the bigger and brighter the balls will be. Take them out before they disable your attacks.

Edited by PS4Trophies Wozamil
Editorial Sweep

Bosses

All bosses leave behind a pile of pickup when they're destroyed. Be careful not to be too close to a boss when it explodes because the explosion can kill you. None of the boss names are official since they're not listed on the information screen. So like the Light Wisps, I'm just giving them unofficial names until I know better.

Twin Ships - These are two fairly small ships who will come out and attack you at the same time. They have various turrets equipped which allow them to shoot various types of attacks at you. The song dictates what type of turrets they are equipped with. You can destroy their wings first to take out the turrets before going for the center piece.

The Mothership - A single, huuuuuge version of the Twin Ship. They have two wings that can be blown off and many, many turret both on the wings and the body.

The Octopus - This enemy will shoot either homing shots or photons at you. You have to destroy each segment of it's arms from a distance because if you should get to close, it will curl up in an impenetrable shell until you get far enough away.

The Mama Serpent - Much larger version of the Mini Serpent. She'll try to surround you and run over you, as well as shoot you with photons or homing shots from each segment.

The Trophies

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/01.jpg Challenge 3 (B)

Complete 3 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/02.jpg Challenge 6 (B)

Complete 6 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/03.jpg Challenge 9 (B)

Complete 9 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/04.jpg Challenge 12 (B)

Complete 12 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/05.jpg Challenge 15 (B)

Complete 15 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/06.jpg Challenge 18 (B)

Complete 18 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/07.jpg Challenge 21 (B)

Complete 21 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/08.jpg Challenge 24 (B)

Complete 24 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/09.jpg Challenge 27 (B)

Complete 27 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/10.jpg Challenge 30 (B)

Complete 30 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/11.jpg Challenge 33 (B)

Complete 33 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/12.jpg Challenge 36 (S)

Complete 36 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/13.jpg Challenge 39 (S)

Complete 39 challenges

See 100%

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1232/14.jpg 100% (G)

Complete all the challenges

The trophies themselves are pretty simple. You get a brand new trophy for each set of three out of the 42 challenges you complete. Most of the challenges are pretty simply, considering that, once again, the action is determined entirely by the song you choose to play.

The Challenges

The descriptions for each of the challenges are pretty self-explanatory, so I'll only give tips where they might be needed. Aside from Completely Insane and Tough Guy, all of these can be done on Easy.

• Perfect - Complete a track of at least 3 minutes without losing a life
  • Don't Panic - In Single Player, don't fire for 60 seconds

Play the game on an easy track and simply avoid all the enemies until 60 seconds pass. If the first track you try throws some nasties at you that you can't avoid, simply load a different track until you find one that's relatively easy to navigate without getting hit.

• x100 - Get a x100 Multiplier
  • Boss Slayer - Kill 8 bosses in 1 game

Play Boss Rush mode. The first eight bosses you encounter are typically very easy.

• Brutal Boss Kill - Kill a boss before it fires

Play a song on Easy where you encounter the twin ships. As soon as one appears, runs towards him while launching as many micro missiles as you can. Drop a bunch of superbombs for good measure.

• Pwnage - Get a 1,000 kill streak
  • A Real Dare Devil - In Normal Mode get the Dare Devil multiplier 10 times

Similar to Don't Panic. Play a fast-paced song so that the Dare Devil meter builds quickly. You don't have to get 10 in order, just in the same song. If you're afraid you might die, drop a superbomb to kill off any close enemies without breaking your Dare Devil meter.

• Go Platinum - In Normal Mode score 1 million points in one track
  • 1st Track Cleared - Complete your first track
  • 25! - Complete 25 tracks
  • 50! - Complete 50 tracks
  • 100! - Complete 100 tracks
  • The First Step - Level up
  • Half Way There - Reach the rank of Senior Officer
  • Elite! - Reach the rank of Elite
  • The First Hour - Accumulate 1 hour of play
  • High 5 - Accumulate 5 hours of play
  • Veteran - Accumulate 10 hours of play
  • Millionare - Score 1 Million Points
  • Muti Millionare - Score 5 Million Points
  • Dude of Hazard - Score 10 Million Points
  • I'm Just Starting - Reach 5 Minutes in Survival Mode
  • Don't Stop Me Now - Reach 10 Minutes in Survival Mode
  • Coming Through! - Reach 15 Minutes in Survival Mode
  • Survival Champion! - Reach 20 Minutes in Survival Mode
  • Perks! - Unlock all the Perks
  • Perk MAXED - Buy all the upgrades for a Perk
  • Mad MAXED - Max out all the Perks
  • Cash Grab - Get $10,000 in the bank

In the beginning, only purchase perks that will help you survive or increase your money. Perks you are not going to use can be waited on until you've got this challenge. Definitely level up and use Spawn More Multipliers so that you get more cash drops.

• Completely Insane - Complete a 4+ minute track on Insane difficulty
  • Tough Guy - Complete a 4+ minute track on Suicidal difficulty
  • Death By A Thousand Cuts - Get 10,000 kills using Micro Missiles
  • Death Star - Get 10,000 kills using the Ultra Beam power up
  • Untouchable - Reflect 10,000 projectiles using the Reflect Shield power up
  • Ultra Beam of Death - Kill 150 enemies with 1 Ultra Beam blast

Using multiple Ultra Beams will count as one beam as long as you use the next one quick enough that the first one doesn't stop. So get a lot of enemies on the screen and blast them, wait a second or two and then shoot out another. Keep doing this until it pops.

• Reflection - Reflect 150 projectiles with 1 Shield burst

Similar to the above, use a new Shield before the current one runs out to keep it going. You know a shield is about to run out when you hear a buzzing alarm.

• Cool Tracks! - Listen to the Indie music in the Credits screen

Go to the credits screen and sit on one of the song titles underneath an album cover until the song starts playing.

• Music Tour - Score at least 1,000,000 on each built in track
  • A Real Mine Sweeper - Get hit by 50 mines in one track without losing a life

Those miners that drop the little red weapon-disabling mines? You gotta get hit with 50 mines and survive the entire song with dying. Best done in Easy mode. Take out other enemies and just let the mines hit you.

• Tug of War - Have a 10 second tug of war with a Stalker

Should come naturally, but just get caught by a Stalkers for 10 second.

• Boss Dance - Survive with 4 bosses on the screen in Boss Rush mode

Best done with the first four bosses you encounter. Shoot it enough to take out it's weaponry without killing it. Then let it sit there until you've got four bosses floating around on the screen.

• Boss King - Get to Wave 30 in Boss Rush mode

In Closing

That's all I can think to mention for this guide. It's my first guide and I don't really have much to work with that isn't already written on the tin. If anyone has questions or needs clarification, I'll try to help out. Anyone who'd like to see Beat Hazard Ultra tactics in action only need to check out the videos in my channel. Thanks for reading.

Edited by PS4Trophies Wozamil
Editorial Sweep

Very nice read, now my question is this...

For someone like myself that really enjoys the dual stick shooter genre, is this worth ten bucks? I don't want to spend money and get burned. Joe Danger, I'm looking at you. Plus, the Infamous vampire story comes out next week and so does PixelJunk SideScroller. So I'm not sure if I should get this now or...

Edited by vix

I definitely think it is, but you know the old saying, different strokes and all. I bought the game on Steam back in June and have already clocked 85 hours in on it, and then I payed another $10 on Tuesday to get it for PS3. Can't tell you how many times I've sat at my desk at work wishing I had a laptop just because I wanted to play some BH on break.

For me, it's just the rush of action and the quest for the song with that perfect score. It has unlimited gameplay since every mp3 you play in it will create a different level, so if you have a lot of good music that you enjoy listening to, then you've always got a new challenge to take on. There's a certain fun in playing a new song and finding a challenge that you just didn't expect from it. And I love the almost-epilepsy-inducing graphics. Ships are flying in from everwhere and you're blowing them away in an explosion of flashing colors to your own rockin' tracks.

It's definitely one of those games that you can pick up anytime and then get sucked into. I can't count how many times I've gotten a few new mp3s and decided to play them in BH, expecting only to play about 15 minutes to get through four or five songs, and then when I was finished, I wouldn't be ready to quit, so I'd go pick some other songs to see how they play. Next thing I know, two hours have gone by. I honestly think I spent an entire Sunday straight one weekend just playing this game.

There is a demo, I'm not sure what it's limiting, but if you're a fan of twin-stick shooters, I definitely suggest giving it a try.

One correction, there are only 42 challenges, not 100.

Well, in my own opinion, I consider it a 2 because once you get past the learning curve of understanding how to effectively maneuver your vehicle (which most twin-stick shooter fans already know) and how each weapon and enemy acts, things get pretty easy. That's not to say that you won't be encountering some pretty difficult tracks, because you will. I have plenty of songs I've loaded up that have me yelling "dammit, dammit dammit!" constantly. But when it comes to simply getting the challenges done, the game gives you more than what you need to do to accomplish them.

Once you've unlocked the perks to start you off with 5 POW, 5 VOL, the five spare Superbombs, and have 10 each of the Missile and Shield perks, you'll be pretty armed to the teeth to be able to take on a whole screen of enemies. Basically, save all these for when you really need them as a defensive mechanism and shoot everything with your regular fully-powered-up gun.

The Scouts, Fighters and Bombers all go down with one shot each. Missiles are a great defense against the mini-serpents, so if you're dealing with other enemies on the screen, launch one set of missiles and it'll home in on the serpent and take him out of the equation for you. If you find the screen filling up and you're about to get hit, use a shield to give you enough time to move to the center of the screen, and then drop a superbomb to clear most of the enemies away. Then fly somewhere safe and resume blasting with the normal gun.

Always stay on the move. You don't have to fly around the entire screen, but don't just sit in one spot. An up/down or left/right motion like Space Invaders will usually keep you from being shot by an unnoticed photon. And stay away from the very edge of the screen because enemies like to take you out by suddenly appearing there. And remember to take out miners/mines and wisps as soon as possible so they don't disarm you.

So now let's assume you know the basics and have unlocked all the perks to give you 5 POW, 5 VOL, 5 Superbombs and 10 each of Missiles and Shields:

• Cool Tracks! - Listen to the Indie music in the Credits screen

This one doesn't take any effort what-so-ever to accomplish.
  • Perfect - Complete a track of at least 3 minutes without losing a life

Very easy on Easy Mode. You probably won't even need them, but this becomes laughably easy once you've got extra weapons like the missiles and the shield.
  • x100 - Get a x100 Multiplier

You've got five different perks you can equip that can help with this one. Chart Topper will start you off right away with up to 15. The Devil Pays Well can add up to 8 each time your Dare Devil multiplier fills (though, I don't suggest using this one because it fills at the same speed as the song plays. By the time it fills enough to make it worth it, you could have a screen full of enemies.) I Don't Die adds 15 for every 30 seconds you stay alive. Multiplier Rain will drop approximately 9 multipliers worth of pickups every 10 or so seconds (usually a 5 and four 1s.) And Spawn More Multipliers can cause some enemies to leave up to a half dozen multipliers upon death. It's not uncommon to rack up a multiplier of over 300 or even 400 once you're familiar enough with the game and playing on the harder levels.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SeK6PSShfM]352x Multiplier[/ame][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OugTw66SPuE]437x!?![/ame]
  • The First Step - Level up
  • Half Way There - Reach the rank of Senior Officer
  • Elite! - Reach the rank of Elite
  • 1st Track Cleared - Complete your first track
  • 25! - Complete 25 tracks
  • 50! - Complete 50 tracks
  • 100! - Complete 100 tracks
  • The First Hour - Accumulate 1 hour of play
  • High 5 - Accumulate 5 hours of play
  • Veteran - Accumulate 10 hours of play

All of these come simply by playing the game. Ranking up in this game is actually a lot easy than one might imagine. You could even rank up three or four times after a single level even after hitting Elite. Get the multiplier going and kick your difficulty up. You've got the weaponry to handle it, and the game just feels that much more exciting the harder the difficulty. Completing the tracks and accumulating time will just come naturally as you play new songs.
  • Music Tour - Score at least 1,000,000 on each built in track
  • Go Platinum - In Normal Mode score 1 million points in one track
  • Millionare - Score 1 Million Points
  • Muti Millionare - Score 5 Million Points
  • Dude of Hazard - Score 10 Million Points

Once you've got the extra weaponry, and are familiar enough with the game to play on harder difficulties, scoring 1 Million Points is a cakewalk. All those multiplier perks help your score soar and you can add Score Booster to get 19% more points. Those last three challenges require that many points across your career, not in one specific track.
  • Perks! - Unlock all the Perks
  • Perk MAXED - Buy all the upgrades for a Perk
  • Mad MAXED - Max out all the Perks
  • Cash Grab - Get $10,000 in the bank

Acquiring the money to buy all the perks just takes the time required to play the game. You'll most likely be close to maxing out all your perks by the 10 hour mark, and just make sure you hold off on the perks you don't need right away until you've got the $10,000 in the bank at once.
  • Don't Panic - In Single Player, don't fire for 60 seconds
  • A Real Dare Devil - In Normal Mode get the Dare Devil multiplier 10 times

Start a rather silent, uneventful track on Easy and just avoid the enemies. If the first track you try throws some nasties at that you find hard to avoid, just load a different track until you find one that's relatively easy to navigate without getting hit. For A Real Dare Devil, you don't have to go the 10 times straight, it just has to be in the same song. Use a superbomb if an enemy gets too close.
  • Pwnage - Get a 1,000 kill streak

Either play on a harder difficulty so that you get huge waves of enemies coming at you and blasting them away with your arsenal, or play a really long song on Easy so that it's easier to stay alive and you get enough enemies to blast in the song. Perhaps the 9 minute Ouverture.
  • Death By A Thousand Cuts - Get 10,000 kills using Micro Missiles
  • Death Star - Get 10,000 kills using the Ultra Beam power up
  • Untouchable - Reflect 10,000 projectiles using the Reflect Shield power up

These just require using the weapon a lot, so there might be some grinding, if you still haven't gotten them by the time your 10 hours are up, but it won't be much. I use the missiles and shields and got those two naturally via gameplay. I just had to grind the Ultra Beam. I picked a song that kept throwing lot of enemies at me and then mowed them down with the beam. After I ran out of supplies, I died so the game would save my stats and then restarted the song.
  • Ultra Beam of Death - Kill 150 enemies with 1 Ultra Beam blast
  • Reflection - Reflect 150 projectiles with 1 Shield burst

Both of these are pretty easy, just get a lot of enemies on screen and keep recharging the Beam or Shield before it runs out. Use the perks to give you 10 of the weapon and to make it last longer.
  • A Real Mine Sweeper - Get hit by 50 mines in one track without losing a life
  • Tug of War - Have a 10 second tug of war with a Stalker

Tug of War will come naturally, and Mine Sweeper can be done in Easy mode. Find a short song where miners appear. Keep getting hit with the mines and shoot the other enemies when you get a chance so they don't overwhelm you. Finish the song and you've got it.
  • Brutal Boss Kill - Kill a boss before it fires

Playing on Easy, look for the Twin Ships boss. Either in in regular game or the first boss of Boss Rush. Just rush at one, shooting your gun, missiles and superbombs. You should take him out before he gets a chance to do a thing. You just need to kill one of the Twins for it to pop.
  • Boss Dance - Survive with 4 bosses on the screen in Boss Rush mode
  • Boss Slayer - Kill 8 bosses in 1 game
  • Boss King - Get to Wave 30 in Boss Rush mode

Boss Rush starts off with easy bosses and a generous amount of time to kill them. Find a track where the first two waves are Twin Ships. Avoid killing the bosses on the first wave until the set on the second wave comes out. The trophy will pop. You should be able to kill eight boss before the game gets much harder.

Bosses are pretty difficult by the time you get to Wave 30, but if you're loaded with all the weapon power ups you should be able to at least last that far. Just make sure not to waste the special weapons on early bosses. You'll need them for the later ones. Use the perk that gives you two more lives if you need them. I personally made it to wave 37 without the extra lives.
  • I'm Just Starting - Reach 5 Minutes in Survival Mode
  • Don't Stop Me Now - Reach 10 Minutes in Survival Mode
  • Coming Through! - Reach 15 Minutes in Survival Mode
  • Survival Champion! - Reach 20 Minutes in Survival Mode

Pick an easy song to start with, and if you can handle Suicidal difficulty in normal play, you should be able to make 20 minutes non-stop. Use the extra life perk if you're worried you might need the help. I personally survived 23:30 so far, and that was without the extra lives.
  • Completely Insane - Complete a 4+ minute track on Insane difficulty
  • Tough Guy - Complete a 4+ minute track on Suicidal difficulty

These just take finding a track that's not too demanding. Make sure you're fully equipped with the weaponry and use the extra lives if you need them.

Remember, in every challenge, if you can't accomplish what you're trying to do on one track, you just need to try another.

Edited by Apostrophe
Removed a redundant word... I'm sleepy.

No worries, it's understandable. My eyes are about to shut any moment myself. Heh.

On my Steam playthrough, yep. Plus the special 43rd challenge that was part of the Steam Summer Event (Striptease - remove all the turrets from two enemies at once and keep them alive for 60 seconds.)

On the PS3, I just have eight songs left to get 100!, about 45 minutes left of playtime to get Veteran, and three more perks to max. Then it'll be 100%.

Just got 100% (on another account) and I am glad I bought this game. Even if I nearly got a headache while playing with Max Visual Effects %, the little nice touch was the ability to play on songs from your PS3 (Playing on Daft Punk ? Awwwww Yeeaaahhhh !).

Anyway, I think the OP covered pretty much everything about the game. I also agree with the trophy difficulty but it's only when you reach a certain point. I tried to go for Survival and Boss Rush mode from the start, and I got my ass wiped really quickly. But once you get enough perks, the game is a piece of cake. If I had to rate the game difficulty overall, I would say 3 or 4.

Got this game and was enjoying it, till I went to the leader boards...

WARNING: Going to the leader boards will freeze your system and destroy your save file to the point that after you reboot, the game will flicker and have seizures, with the only solution being to delete your save and start again. :mad: (I tested it on another account, and the same thing happened. If the account hasn't played, it wont glitch till you change the filter to a screen that would have something to display.)

At least I only had 1.5 hours thus far, will suck if someone has nine hours logged and then find this out the hard way...

Yeah, the leaderboards are currently borked. They were working fine on the first day, but now they'll either freeze the system or drop you back to the XMB. The developer is aware of this problem; apparently the leaderboard is an issue on Sony's end, and the game freezing is caused by a programming issue due to the leaderboard issue.

I've tried the leaderboards every since it's had issues to see if Sony's fixed it on their end yet and most of the time I'd freeze and I'd had to reboot my system. Never had a problem with it affecting my save file, though, so this is a first. I will pass that on to the dev.

The dev would like to get a patch out, but apparently Sony has harsh penalties for patches. Who ever heard of such nerve?

Got another question for you. Seems like I have been ranking up way too fast on my new save file, and I might not be able to unlock all the perks, as there are 15 levels left, and I still need to unlock 16 more perks... Is there anything to do about this, or do I start a third save file, and micro-manage my skill gains (meaning suicide when it's time to move rank)?

EDIT: Nevermind, I read the guide a bit more thoroughly this time and see you can keep ranking in Elite, phew!

Edited by TigerLust

Thanks for all your help.

As far as the patch cost factor, I think it has always been that way. I had heard something along the lines of a free patch allowed alongside the release of DLC, but I wouldn't know about developer costs and things like that.

As far as the leader boards, sounds like pass the buck to me. I have played over a hundred PS3 games with a working leader board, so it can't be that Sony just can't get a working leader board...

If you ever wondered if you would be prone to seizures while playing video games, this is the game that will do it. I can only imagine what effect this would have on a person while on hallucinogens. Pretty cool game though, I just don't think my eyes could take more than one or two songs at a time.

Great guide!

i just got this game and now i have to go after some challenges. Anyway i was wondering about co op games. If my friend doesnt have my song, we cant play it. Does it have to be the same song? let me explain

My friend rips songs off somewhere (idk) and i go itunes (legit)

cant i just find the song he has and will it sync? or do i have to rip it just to get that version (compatible?)

Not sure if any of you co op, but it seems fun, although i would like to play some of my songs, i prefer those over in game music.

Another question:

if i load a song that is a minute or less, can i grind on that song to get the 100 times playing a game? seems faster, and just wondering if they c*ck blocked that by setting a minimum for the song to be

thanks and i hope you all read my questions, as they seem logical and i wonder if anyone else came across or thought about it

Not sure about co-op.

As for the length of the songs, there is a track included that is only 1:51 (Typewriter) that I have been using to grind out the 100. I happen to have a slightly shorter song on my drive, at 1:43, and that worked too. Considering you need to play 10 hours anyhow, it's not worth your time trying to find a shorter track. I used the 1:51 to grind out those 10,000 shield blocks, ultra kills and missile kills.

I haven't actually tried co-op, so I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe both copies of the songs have to be the same length in time and have the same tagging.

Song length shouldn't matter, but I believe the songs have to be unique. I could be wrong, though. Honestly, Veteran requires 10 hours of playtime anyways, and you're gonna need to earn a lot of Money to max out all the perks, so in most cases you'll finish 100 regular length songs way before you hit the 10 hours required for that Challenge. I completed 100! at the 9:45 mark and that was also counting the time it took to play through to wave 37 in Boss Rush and play about 24 minutes worth of Survival. By the time I had collected all the money to max out all the perks, 11 and a half hours were clocked in and I had played 120 different songs.

Edited by Apostrophe
Update: Sniped by TigerLust - I guess you can play through without them being unique

The 100 songs don't need to be distinct, they simply need to be completed in "standard mode". Completing a song in any other mode will not count towards the 100 NOR will it save your score towards the 1,000,000 needed per track. You don't have to actually finish the song when going for 1,000,000 per tracks - as long as you get the million before you die.

Also I disagree with something in the guide. It says for "Cash Grab - Get $10,000 in the bank":

In the beginning, only purchase perks that will help you survive or increase your money. Perks you are not going to use can be waited on until you've got this challenge. Definitely level up and use Spawn More Multipliers so that you get more cash drops.

I think this will actually make LESS money appear. When a Spawn bubble appears, it will pick from the available "options". Multipliers and Money are always possible, while others might be applicable: volume, POW, missiles, shield and beam - these last five will only appear if the volume/pow meter is not full, or if you have that weapon available from the perk.

If you have a maxed out volume and power, with few (or none) of the secondary weapons, you will get a lot more money. Goodie bag is a great option, as it will max those out faster, resulting in more likeliness of money spawn in place of volume/pow.

This can be adjusted as well to maximize the secondary weapon ammo you are trying to grind out the 10,000 blocks/kills with.

Edited by TigerLust

Right. When I wrote that you would get more cash drops, I didn't mean it in the sense that the game would favor cash over other types of pickups. It was more along the lines of that without the perk, you'll only get one pickup. Whether it be a multiplier, cash, weapon, or pow/vol; it's still only one item. But by using the perk, you could get two to six more pickups. Which increases the chance that instead of just getting say, a multiplier, you might also get cash (or a weapon, etc.)

Goodie Bag only gives you a handful of pickups at the start of the level. It can help in maxing out your POW and VOL, but personally, I find it unreliable. I used to use Goodie Bag when I first started playing and I started way too many games with most of the goodies being multipliers, leaving my weapon underpowered for the initial onslaught. I gave up Goodie Bag and equipped Pump Up The Vol and Pow Pow Pow instead. When fully upgraded, you start the level with both meters maxed and in Beat Hazard mode. This will naturally, like you said, stop POW and VOL pickups from dropping, leaving opening up more chances for cash and weapon drops from baddies.

I agree that Pump up the Volume and Pow Pow Pow is the way to go at the spawn.

However, I am under the impression that Spawn More Multipliers will spawn additional multipliers, not more weapons/cash, is that correct?

EDIT: When grinding out the 10k blocks/kills, I like Goodie Bag for the additional ammo.

Edited by TigerLust

That's the way it's written, but it's hard to say for sure. I mean, I've destroyed enemies that have dropped a pile consisting of one cash icon and three multipliers. It's entirely possibly that the cash icon is what would have been received normally and the three multipliers were from the perk, but who can really say, you know? I guess I just err on the side of caution. If there's a chance the perk will cause an extra spawn to be something other than a multiplier, then there's no harm in using it.

Ideally, if the focus is solely getting money, then unequipping all extra weapons and fighting Boss Rush is supposed to be the way to go, since bosses explode into piles consisting of lots of multipliers and cash icons, but I personally find this a more tedious way of doing things. You can usually destroy lots of other ships in the a regular game and get more cash drops in the time it takes to destroy a boss in Boss Rush while weaponless.