Why Bayonetta is overrated.

rotoninja

Extremely late to the party here, but I just wanted to get this off my chest. After a few years ofhearing/seeing the hype surrounding Bayonetta, I finally decided to pick it upand give it a go. Essentially, this is my type of game (3rd Person Action/Hack ‘n Slash) so I figured I’d be able just slide right in. Touching base on the word “hype”, I’m talking about Metacritic’s Critic Reviews, the uproar regarding the sequel’s exclusivity to the WiiU and it's small cult following for its action and challenge. Hell, it even made this site’s Top 10 Games of the Generation. Unfortunately, I find this game extremely overrated.

I’m not saying it’s a bad game…it’s a good game, just not great or that ground breaking. There are even several parts in the game that I admire and respect from a game that was made 4 years ago. So, I have to admit it does have several things going for it:

Combat and Control.

Yes, it’s very good and it works. It’s features some necessities that are missing from many games from its genre: lock-on, switching weapons on the fly, character re-center, a true dodge, aparry (acquired later), free camera movement and good platforming.

Swagger.

Okay, it’s kind of cool. It’s atheistically pleasing at times, good mix of stages, environments, enemies and the whole angelic music/sound fits the theme of the game. It also has a fresh, unique and sexy take on a female protagonist.

Mostly good checkpoints.

This is an often overlooked feature is most games and for the most part the game does it right. Bad or no checkpoints tend to make games more frustrating than difficult IMO. There maybe a few parts in the game where they unfairly placed but generally it’s solid.

That’s all I can think of. Moving on to my issues:

Story.

:wtf:

It’s strange, messy and is just doesn’t make sense. I get it…if you’re playing this game for the story then you’re playing it for the wrong reasons. But, how many games have you seen get pounded by critics for lack of story despite its gameplay or vice versa? Not saying it has to be The Last of Us, but the game has to pull you in a just little bit to link you with the main character. Also understand that this part is completely subjective and many fans may dig the story, but the way it’s embedded in the game slows down the game. If you’ve gotten your fix for the story, then you’re skipping the cut scenes which seemto happen every 5-10 minutes. There are even cut scenes to enter and leave the main shop. I could also touch on the other characters in the game that seem pointless but I’m too lazy.

Enemies can attack during the end of cut scenes.

This is extremely infuriating especially on higher difficulties. A few enemies can juggle you taking nearly 75%of your health in one hit…after skipping scenes at that. Sure after a while you start to learn to spam the dodge following cut scenes but the point is that you shouldn’t have to.

Recycled bosses.

Ugh. You fight the main protagonist 4 times per play through (I think) and the other main and sub bosses at least twice in lieu of or including a boss rush towards the end of the game. Don’t get me wrong, I’m okay with an occasional recycled boss or a boss rush, butwhen it’s to the point where that’s all you’re fighting at the end of a chapter it’s mind numbing. What’s strange is that initially these bosses are larger than life and pretty cool to fight. But, when you factor in the other issues and want to just play the game these bosses are more of a nuisance than anything else and feel lazy. Also, going back to my story argument, how many review outlets have you seen slam a game for recycled bosses but nothing is said about this game’s.

Unforgiving response times in QTEs.

I hate QTEs as it is and this game is the worst when it comes to giving you enough time to respond. Some I swear give you a milli-second to respond making RE6’s QTEs seem like a joy to play. I have always assumed that QTEs where supposed to be fun and let the player feel part of the game…not to punish a player for not being able to change the position of their hands fastenough. Once again, add in the recycled bosses that the QTEs are a part of and the cut scenes you’re skipping…the annoyance stacks.

Driving/flying stages.

Some people may like it, I thought it ruins the flow of the game. The God of War series usually features a section or two but it’s more of a transition. In this game, it’s usually a full Chapter. But, my biggest problem with it is that Bayonetta and her vehicle takes way too much space in the screen:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee93/os_g/NewPicture1-1.png

The game itself rewards (or punishes you) to make splitsecond decisions while moving at high speeds, but when Bayonetta and her keyster is taking up half the screen it makes tough to see what's coming. It's not game breaking per say, but a higher or more pulled back view on these Space Harrier sections could've been better.

Slow progression of unlocking weapons and items.

Probably the most subjective part here, but I feel the game really doesn’t give you enough weapons and items on your first playthrough. The game should give access to everything (or more items) to you throughout your initial playthrough so youcan experiment on what works for you and/or what to upgrade. Instead, the game gives you just a couple to make it through, forcing the player to grind outhalos for essential items with an already convoluted combo system.

I think that covers it. Like I said, it’s a good game and is notable in a few areas in for place in this’s past generation...just don't think it's the shiny gem people say it is. (Dons flame retardant suit.)

Edited by rotoninja

I'm still planning on picking up this game (since it's also made by the same person who made the DMC series), but I like your reasoning behind your argument. I'll decide if this game is over rated or not when I play it. The reasons you gave seems fair (for the most part) . Glad to hear from you that it's still a good game. Nice persuasive argument.

Edited by SpadesOfDarkness

• 1 month later...

I agree with the author: This game is very overrated. I didn't like this game due to these reasons:

The graphic models Bayonetta lost a gold opportunity. When I heard about a hack n' slash game that features a witch fighting angels I instantly thought about epic battles agains armored angels carrying a big spear or sword or even bloody battles like in Darksiders. Unfortunately, the bosses and the enemies are a joke. Som angels with a statue face, bosses who look like spiders and the worst part: Globes of meat with tentacles going out from mouth and ears. And they are called angels. :wtf:

The controls I played this game almost one year ago so I don't remember the name of accessories or other things. But I remember very well the counter attacks and the jump parts were completely unresponsive. :mad:

The playability As stated before, parts when you have to drive, fly or any other thing like this are very boring. Unfortunately they're common in this game. If I remember well, there's a whole chapter about flying and shooting things. And there's a boring trophy about it too. :thumbsdown:

The story Once again, Bayonetta lost a gold chance. In a game with angels, witches, heaven and hell creatures I'd expect much more: Bayonetta's story is boring, confusing and has non attractive characters.

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't play Bayonetta. There are many other games better than this one.

• 3 months later...

Well all opinion respected but for me and many people it's one of the best action games of all times .. really the battle system alone makes other action games looks OK .. look it happens to me in some games when i feel the hype for the game and everyone is crazy and when i play and finished .. i said .. ok ? whats the things they're talking about like The Last of us which is Awesome don't get me wrong but it's overrated for me because most people the media affect their opinions so when i saw the reaction to the game and especially using strong words like best in the gen and best story .. the story is Great but nothing like many games .. the relationship between joel and eille is the whole thing ,, the base story is normal really so i was disappointed ,, what makes Bayo really amazing is the uniqueness of everything on it .. the the endless combos you can do and master ,Great Heroine .. something only Kamiya san can do ( creator of DMC ) and the story of bayo can be complex but if you read the books you get it will gave you a great set up for many things in the world of the game like Castlevenia LOS,so as i said everyone sees the game from his point of View and i love to hear/read different people opinions on Great game like this .

Edited by Lloydo Sama

• 3 months later...

bayonetta is not over-rated, the fact that it sits at 87 on Metacritic for PS3 shows that this game is infact UNDER-rated. honestly i just dont think this game is for you, or that you dont want to like it. all the faults you listed i would file under 'irrelevant' and even the things you praise - swagger, checkpoints, they dont really matter either. there are only three things that matter with this game - gameplay, spectacle, and challenge.

gameplay - it has the best action gameplay in videogame history. god of war, dmc, they dont even come close. nothing comes close. in the most important section of any game, gameplay, bayonetta is absolute perfection.

spectacle - its epic! some of what you see is mindblowing, the artistic design of the enemies and boss battles is just stunning.

challenge - any punk can mash their way through easy and maybe even normal, but on hard this game really opens up and as for unlimited climax... not to mention the alheim portals. im very proud of my platinum :D

having read some bayonetta 2 reviews, it apparantly surpasses the original in every way... which is almost frightening to imagine. the thought that i will almost certainly never play it is traumatising!!

I've never been a fan of hack and slash games, and this is the ONLY hack and slash that I enjoyed playing - which means it can't really be overrated, at least not from my point of view. It's the same with driving games (including arcade style ones) - they are just not for me, but I enjoyed Gran Turismo.

I think in all genres, there's usually a game or two that really shines above all the others, and perhaps that's where Bayonetta wins in the hack and slash - because people who wouldn't normally play them will actually enjoy Bayonetta. I enjoyed the "Space Harrier" level, as that brought back memories of my childhood (I'm nearly 40).

• 2 weeks later...

i kind of agree as well. to me it just felt like DMC with a new coat of paint, which is not a bad thing but it also does not feel like it made any improvements on the old formula.

Now it is a Fun game but I feel that Platinum is not as good as they were when they were Clover.

i would like to play the sequel but i would not buy a Wii U just for 2 games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So this game is good then? Thinking about picking it up. I saw my friend play it but it seemed hard with the trials or the timed portions.

It has by far the best gameplay of any hack and slash game on the PS3, or arguably ever in fact. I can't think of another hack and slash game on any console with action as good as Bayonetta's. The load times on PS3 are terrible though and the cutscenes are insufferable, I enjoyed it ten times more on my second playthrough when I skipped all the cutscenes. It has a learning curve as well and probably wont be very much fun until you get used to it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First off let me say, I believe everyone should try this game out. Most if not all people see Bayonetta as game they would recommend to others. However, the game is actually quite good considering. I am not sure if OP is familiar with Platinum Games, but they are known for making great games. I noticed OP is playing Medal Gear Rising, which is a Platinum Game, game, and awaiting his response about that game.

Bayonetta or any game from Platinum Game studios makes zero sense. Have you played Vanquish? Bayonetta uses the same formula as Vanquish did and Medal Gear Rising, yet people complain. Have you noticed anything similar OP in Rising to Bayonetta? The story makes zero sense. They throw you in the Deep End and expect you to improve. Vanquish and Medal Gear Rising are great examples of this since they force you to improve if you want to achieve certain trophies, Vanquish with the Challenge Modes, and Medal Gear Rising with StormBringer/No-damage boss trophies.

I mean, check this out:

[ame]

[/ame]

As for Bayonetta, they do the exact same thing. They throw you in a tutorial level with no idea what is going on, but for the mere fact you have to kill Angels for Hell's Demon's. The game's story is not supposed to make sense, they just get to the point and make you, the character, figure it out for yourself. Now I am sure you're questioning: "Isn't that the game's job?" Yes, it is; however, like all of there games you have absolutely no idea what is going on unless you play the game.

Most games give you a clear objective like Zelda: Save Zelda or something. However, since there games do not and is all over the place, it makes you want to figure out the plot-holes for yourself. Your outlook is what made Sony turn down Bayonetta 2 for the Playstation 3, but Nintendo saw potential, because they knew Bayonetta had talent for a sequel, and in turn they were correct. Since then, Bayonetta 2 has sold numerous copies and is a beautiful game at which I still to this day want to play.

I'm still planning on picking up this game (since it's also made by the same person who made the DMC series), but I like your reasoning behind your argument. I'll decide if this game is over rated or not when I play it. The reasons you gave seems fair (for the most part) . Glad to hear from you that it's still a good game. Nice persuasive argument.

You should as Bayonetta was a fantastic and you should play it!

Strange... on the contrary, I believe more people should play this. I loved the game, even with the ocasional drop of frame rate while there are many enemies on screen, I enjoyed it from beggining to end.

This right here ^

From beginning to end I loved every second of it.

I kinda agree with the OP. Bayonetta was a great game but in no means a ground breaking one. I would still recommend it to people who haven't played it though :)

I think OP may have judged this game a bit too harshly, if you ask me.

First off let me say, I believe everyone should try this game out. Most if not all people see Bayonetta as game they would recommend to others. However, the game is actually quite good considering. I am not sure if OP is familiar with Platinum Games, but they are known for making great games. I noticed OP is playing Medal Gear Rising, which is a Platinum Game, game, and awaiting his response about that game....

...I think OP may have judged this game a bit too harshly, if you ask me.

I think you missed my point. I did admit it's a good game, in fact it's probably better than anything that came out last year. I'm just saying it doesn't deserve to be held on a pedestal it's on...at least on the PS3.

The atrocious load times and the fact enemies can attack at the end of cut scene are mechanical problems and are unforgivable. DmC Devil May Cry and GoW: Ascension gets tons of crap, but they don't even suffer from these problems.

The story, recycled bosses and shooting sections are subjective...but I guess when I get irritated with the above points, these bother me more than usual.

I'm aware of Platinum games as well. I've played the Wonderful 101, The Legend of Korra and have Anarchy Reigns/Vanquish on the shelf. Currently in love with MGR at the moment; who knows I might give Bayonetta another shot.

Edited by rotoninja

I think you missed my point. I did admit it's a good game, in fact it's probably better than anything that came out last year. I'm just saying it doesn't deserve to be held on a pedestal it's ob...at least on the PS3.

The atrocious load times and the fact enemies can attack at the end of cut scene are mechanical problems and are unforgivable. DmC Devil May Cry and GoW: Ascension gets tons of crap, but they don't even suffer from these problems.

The story, recycled bosses and shooting sections are subjective...but I guess when I get irritated with the above points, these bother me more than usual.

I'm aware of Platinum games as well. I've played the Wonderful 101, The Legend of Korra and have Anarhcy Reign/Vanquish on the shelf. Currently in love with MGR at the moment; who knows I might give Bayonetta another shot.

I knew what you meant, but give it another shot and tell if you change your mind. As for Rising, the game was brilliant and probably one of my favorite hack-an-slashes to date.

First off let me say, I believe everyone should try this game out. Most if not all people see Bayonetta as game they would recommend to others. However, the game is actually quite good considering. I am not sure if OP is familiar with Platinum Games, but they are known for making great games. I noticed OP is playing Medal Gear Rising, which is a Platinum Game, game, and awaiting his response about that game.

Bayonetta or any game from Platinum Game studios makes zero sense. Have you played Vanquish? Bayonetta uses the same formula as Vanquish did and Medal Gear Rising, yet people complain. Have you noticed anything similar OP in Rising to Bayonetta? The story makes zero sense. They throw you in the Deep End and expect you to improve. Vanquish and Medal Gear Rising are great examples of this since they force you to improve if you want to achieve certain trophies, Vanquish with the Challenge Modes, and Medal Gear Rising with StormBringer/No-damage boss trophies.

I mean, check this out:

As for Bayonetta, they do the exact same thing. They throw you in a tutorial level with no idea what is going on, but for the mere fact you have to kill Angels for Hell's Demon's. The game's story is not supposed to make sense, they just get to the point and make you, the character, figure it out for yourself. Now I am sure you're questioning: "Isn't that the game's job?" Yes, it is; however, like all of there games you have absolutely no idea what is going on unless you play the game.

Most games give you a clear objective like Zelda: Save Zelda or something. However, since there games do not and is all over the place, it makes you want to figure out the plot-holes for yourself. Your outlook is what made Sony turn down Bayonetta 2 for the Playstation 3, but Nintendo saw potential, because they knew Bayonetta had talent for a sequel, and in turn they were correct. Since then, Bayonetta 2 has sold numerous copies and is a beautiful game at which I still to this day want to play.

You should as Bayonetta was a fantastic and you should play it!

This right here ^

From beginning to end I loved every second of it.

I think OP may have judged this game a bit too harshly, if you ask me.

I completely agree with what you wrote but I think the OP's message was that while he enjoyed Bayonetta, it just wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. I too thought it was an awesome game (just not cum in my pants awesome. That honor was reserved for MGR :p )

• 1 month later...

I'm late to the party as well but I just beat the game an hour ago on the first play through.

I agree with most of your points, especially about recycled bosses and unforgiving QTEs but I think the flaws were too minor to ruin the game. I find the gameplay fun, the humor great the music very fitting and the swag awesome. Little things such as the Angel Attack minigame after each chapter, the end credit bonus fights, challenge portals, etc made it a bigger hit for me. Even the 'Clear!' screen at the end was cool, I swear a lot of games used to have it but now it's a lost art.

The story was just subpar to me but somehow I think parts of it were lost in translation. However, reading those collectible documents you find throughout the game got me connected to the game's premise. As for frame rate issues, I don't think I would have noticed if I played the game when it came out (2009).

Since I'm late to playing the game, I do give it plenty benefit of the doubt when looking at its flaws. I had fun, will probably go for the plat eventually.

Edited by diishen

• 3 months later...