Platinum Games: Bayonetta on PS3 "the biggest failure"...

Zyzxx

Platinum Games calls Bayonetta on PS3 its "biggest failure" • News • PlayStation 3 • Eurogamer.net

"The biggest failure for Platinum so far, the one that really sticks in my mind, is that [bayonetta] port," lamented Inaba. "At the time we didn't really know how to develop on PS3 all that well, and whether we could have done it… is irrelevant: we made the decision that we couldn't. But looking back on the result, and especially what ended up being released to users, I regard that as our biggest failure."

Ouch...

Honestly, I never noticed any issues playing Bayonetta on PS3. I got the (P) with no fuss or stress and while having a blast with the game. I guess I either lucked out or was having too much fun to notice any issues that are often criticized on from the 360 port to PS3.

In either case, I'm glad to see a Bayonetta 2 will happen after the issue with Sega at first and the threat of the game being scrapped! And although I don't see it coming to the PS3/360 at all, perhaps it'll show up on PS4/720! You may expect the same issue to occur though :D!

If I recall right, at first the major issues were load times (like when picking up items or opening menus). But then Sony stepped in and helped Platinum games create a patch for PS3 to help resolve those issues. So if you got the game recently and platinumed it, you probably would never have noticed those issues because they'd already been solved.

I'm glad to see they admitted they made a mistake (unlike some companies who pretend they can do no wrong). Furthermore they went onto fix their mistake, which is something I'm happy for because this game is pretty good. Plus this also means they learned how to prevent this issue from happening again so next releases won't suffer from this problem and we can look forward to some Lightning Action with Raiden in MGR.

If I recall right, at first the major issues were load times (like when picking up items or opening menus). But then Sony stepped in and helped Platinum games create a patch for PS3 to help resolve those issues. So if you got the game recently and platinumed it, you probably would never have noticed those issues because they'd already been solved.

I'm glad to see they admitted they made a mistake (unlike some companies who pretend they can do no wrong). Furthermore they went onto fix their mistake, which is something I'm happy for because this game is pretty good. Plus this also means they learned how to prevent this issue from happening again so next releases won't suffer from this problem and we can look forward to some Lightning Action with Raiden in MGR.

https://www.playfire.com/Zyzxx/game/bayonetta

I got the (P) at the beginning of this year, so yes, I am assuming I played it after it had been patched. I guess that's a good thing for me, since I didn't have any issues playing. I am sorry for those who did play it when it first came out and had to deal with all of those issues though.

It's good they admitted to their faults. I's very noble and humble, and you don't always see a company who can own up to their mistakes and also work to fix them.

Bayonetta was one of PG's first games, and the first on the PS3/360. I think they've come a long way since then, and will continue to improve themselves. He even said that they learned from their mistake and made sure not to repeat it for games like Vanquish...

"Platinum did learn from this and began developing its later titles like Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns and the upcoming Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for PS3 in-house."

what's making this so embarrassing for platinum games is that the ps3 version outsold the 360 version worldwide, this means more people experienced a version of the game that was not the vision of the developer

if it was the other way around, meaning the majority of players experienced the good version, they wouldn't call it a failure

• 9 months later...

Load times for virtually all actions are still really long, much too long. And the game has other problems. Not gamebreaking, but annoying.

Why can I not change my loadout between chapters? It can only be done in game. That's crazy. I can visit the store between chapters, but not equip anything.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I kind of want to play this game again, but I have played through the Xbox version already (did pretty much anything). Of course I could just replay that version, but since I have mostly switched over to ps3, I would kind of like to Plat it.

However, how much worse is it really? Loading times I do not mind so much, but how about graphics, frame rates, gameplay etc.?

• 3 weeks later...
this game is one of my favs

i even stopped playing it (for trophies) just so i don't finish it

i hate the fact that there isn't part 2

there is a part 2 but nintendo paid for the development so it's wii u EXCLUSIVE which is pissing a lot of people off to the point where PG kinda...won't talk about the game anymore

• 3 weeks later...
I kind of want to play this game again, but I have played through the Xbox version already (did pretty much anything). Of course I could just replay that version, but since I have mostly switched over to ps3, I would kind of like to Plat it.

However, how much worse is it really? Loading times I do not mind so much, but how about graphics, frame rates, gameplay etc.?

I picked the game up around about the time the patch was released, so I played it both pre and post. While the loading pre-patch was stupid (picking up items, going to inventory screens, walking across a room), the patch solved most of that.

I never played it on 360, but everything I understand about it is that the graphics on PS3 are really really muddy. I've only started replaying this recently, and the framerate is never an issue, but like I say, the graphics are muddy, its like playing the game through a hazy filter. Nothing game breaking. Its more like playing the game in standard definition rather than HD.

• 3 weeks later...

Really? They don't regard madworld or anarchy reigns as its biggest failure? Both of those games did 1000x worse than bayonetta.

For the record, I played bayonetta post patch and never had any issues, graphics? They weren't amazing but they got the job done, the game ran smooth most of the time (it only really slows down if you use double fire durgas and set lots of skulls out). Running smooth is what matters and the install fixed most of that. Never saw an issue with loading times, either.

If I remember correctly Bayonetta was originally 360 exclusive which is why it ended up with a better version. I believe it runs on 60FPS there? Can't remember. Either way PS3 bayonetta isn't the pile of crap they are making it out to be.

Edited by TunnelingEffect

If I remember correctly Bayonetta was originally 360 exclusive which is why it ended up with a better version. I believe it runs on 60FPS there? Can't remember. Either way PS3 bayonetta isn't the pile of crap they are making it out to be.

Yeah, I think it was at least developed exclusively for 360, and then ported to PS3.

It's been ages since I played this but I don't remember any issues, and the game was great so it's really a shame that Bayonetta 2 isn't coming to PS3/4.