Anyone Else Think This Game Was Dumb But Cool?

Kahalachan

I mean you start off and this Joe Pesci wanna-be starts talking. You heal with lollipops. You fight these angels that don't look like angels but are these weird mish mashes of various parts.

But then you pick up the notebook pieces and kinda get interested in the witch sage mythology. You do these cool moves and get cool weapons. And let's not forget the bike scene.

I thought this game was dumb but really liked it.

See, what I think is dumb is when, say, some military FPS or similar 3rd-person game tries to delude itself and gamers into thinking that it is somehow being totally faithful to the real world and then has the player single-handedly slaughter hundreds of people...

Bayonetta's not dumb at all: it actually pays homage to a great number of other games (the amount of references to other games is staggering) at the same time that it parodies them (and several trends in gaming)...

But regarding the actual stuff you're talking about - like healing with lollipops - I don't see it as dumb; it's actually what I want from a game: it creates its own world with its own logic and rules and then so thoroughly immerses you in it that you don't question any of that stuff; in other words there are no issues with plausibility: the game is an artifice, a construct, and it invites you to see it that way.

I think one of the reasons that so many people feel the game is somehow silly or, as you say, dumb, is because it is basically a comedy (but not a cartoon; it's more like a screwball comedy than it is like a typical game comedy) - I would argue that it's a non-stop parody/celebration of video gaming, and it gives you the greatest controls in the history of gaming in order to immerse you in its satirical tone. My only problem with the game is that humour starts to progressively dry up over the last few chapters, and the tone starts to become more somber and overly reminiscent of, say, Ninja Gaiden.

Anyways, no, I don't think the game was dumb but cool; I actually think it's one of the smartest games ever made, and, yes, it's unbelievably cool.

There's a difference between this game's "cool/dumb" factor and other games. For example, the remake of Bionic Commando was obviously trying to develop a good plot by imitating great games like MGS. The game was TRYING to be "cool", but was awful.

Bayonetta on the other hand did it's own thing. Bayonetta wasn't trying to be anything. Like Mitsuru said, Bayonetta created it's own world and uses it's own style without trying to recreate something that is seen in other games. This game knows it's being ridiculous! Game is perfect and "cool" doesn't begin to give it justice.

That's cool. What I thought was dumb was a bit of creativity gone too far for my tastes but I can respect that a lot of you think that creativity isn't dumb at all.

Oh for sure, the game isn't for everyone. I just thoroughly appreciate and respect a game that goes out of it's way to deliver an experience that doesn't cut-n-paste something we've all seen before. The from the combat, to the story, to the characters Bayonetta breaks the mold, ya know?

• 4 weeks later...
See, what I think is dumb is when, say, some military FPS or similar 3rd-person game tries to delude itself and gamers into thinking that it is somehow being totally faithful to the real world and then has the player single-handedly slaughter hundreds of people...

Bayonetta's not dumb at all: it actually pays homage to a great number of other games (the amount of references to other games is staggering) at the same time that it parodies them (and several trends in gaming)...

But regarding the actual stuff you're talking about - like healing with lollipops - I don't see it as dumb; it's actually what I want from a game: it creates its own world with its own logic and rules and then so thoroughly immerses you in it that you don't question any of that stuff; in other words there are no issues with plausibility: the game is an artifice, a construct, and it invites you to see it that way.

I think one of the reasons that so many people feel the game is somehow silly or, as you say, dumb, is because it is basically a comedy (but not a cartoon; it's more like a screwball comedy than it is like a typical game comedy) - I would argue that it's a non-stop parody/celebration of video gaming, and it gives you the greatest controls in the history of gaming in order to immerse you in its satirical tone. My only problem with the game is that humour starts to progressively dry up over the last few chapters, and the tone starts to become more somber and overly reminiscent of, say, Ninja Gaiden.

Anyways, no, I don't think the game was dumb but cool; I actually think it's one of the smartest games ever made, and, yes, it's unbelievably cool.

You took the words right out of my keyboard. :applause:

haha, that's exactly what i thought. style out of stupidity FTW!

Hah exactly

This didn't make me like the game less than any other hack'n' slash.:cool:

And no I didn't like the game less cause it felt dumb. The only part that was dumb enough for me to not like was Enzo's character. Yuck. :rolleyes:

But the silly stuff like using lollipops for health didn't make it less fun than if the game used like some first aid kit for health. That part was actually fun cause when you're making items you get to pick and choose what you wanna brew instead of picking up healing items and using them.

Weird things can still be cool. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This game is cool, but I don't really find it dumb. Instead I find it entertaining. Whats more awesome is this game is entertaining, cool and has a very deep fighting system at the same time! One of the best thing to come out of the Japanese Gaming Industry for a long while.

Edited by doomgun

• 3 weeks later...

I think this game is one of the coolest game I have play in my entire life.

I can see why some people could consider some part of it to be "dumb", but I have played my share of weird games to classify this game as "having weird originality".

Of course it would be AWESOME if they could make it with a FFXIII or MGS4 graphic quality (may God grace Platinum Games enough to enable them to fulfill this ridiculous wish on Bayonetta 2... if it ever to be made...) :dance:

I find the gameplay very enjoyable, despite a lot of swearing and shouts of desperation during the NORMAL difficulty (it kinda make me sad, considering I had no trouble at all playing DMC and GOW)

Later on I learned the hard way that, in this game, evasion is the best offence.

And I also find the sexuality aspect of this game... intriguing.

Not many game potray a female main character with such "acceptance" of sexuality, and at the same time manages to lean more to the aspect of sensuality and less to the aspect of vulgarity (sexy yet not slutty), She is neither playing hard to get, nor being cheap/easy, there's event a hint of docile feminine side sometimes.

The cliche of a tough woman in video game is usually powerful (probably muscular), sexy, talk in a "tough" manner (sometimes almost rude), and hard to get. Bayonetta's word are actually pretty polite, or at least, not rude (except on one particular sentence).

So, IMHO, Bayonetta is not at all dumb, and VERY cool.

...the only dumb thing for me, is that I want the DLC so badly (they said it makes the game runs faster) but the only decent internet connection I have is in my work office...

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure at first if I would like it, not really my kind of game, I suck at the hack and slash type fighting games.

But l said what the hell, I'll give it a shot. I was blowed away, and quickly fell in love with it, it was by far the best of this type of game I have ever played.

It does have a few WTF moments, but it is nothing but badass !!!!

I love Bayo, she is absolutely awesome, I'm definitively interested in sequel if they decide to make one.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I considered getting this game soon after it came out, but I was quite jaded by Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (NGS2) - boring after a few fights.

Then my new girlfriend wanted me to play it, so she brought it round last week - she's an avid PS3 gamer, which isn't bad for someone like me! But she and her stepdad (who's an avid X360 gamer) got stuck on chapter 4 or 5, and she wanted to see if I could get further. After about 7 hours' play (according to the game stats), I've now finished chapter 12.

I must say, the first 2-3 hours of play, I wasn't particularly fond of the game. I felt it was yet another hack & slash with no personality. But I got into the story - I've watched every single cutscene - and it's an engrossing story. The overtly sexual overtones are a welcome relief to the world of gaming... too many games are just 'flat', and you don't give a shit about any of the characters after a while (e.g. who cares about any of the characters in any COD game?).

Bayonetta's (as in the game) characters are fun, and sure they all have certain stereotypes about them, but few things are truly original. Games developers don't want to re-invent the wheel, they want to use existing forms and re-mould them into something new. This game hasn't gotten me this excited about its characters since Tekken 3 - and that's over a decade old!

When I started playing, I honestly felt this game was dumb. But after a while, you realise it's a really smart game. The fighting mechanics are extremely tight - more so than Tekken 3 (or Tekken 6 for that matter), and the cinematics look superb even on the PS3. I'll be sad when I complete the game, although I'll still have to do the hard and infinite climax playthroughs... but I believe they take far less time than the normal playthrough.

If they made a Bayonetta 2, I would be the first in line :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...