Rumored Server closure 1-1-2011

Donkey-er

this rumor is going around for a littl while now and I found out yesterday. I imidetly contacted EA on the matter and I will post their respont so you guys know it too;)

Currently there is no official information regarding Battlefield Bad Company (1) servers closing on January the 1st.

When this will going to happen, you will get updated. So you do not need to worry about that.

Personally I would be surprised if they would close servers as it would mean bad to their PR and competition is getting harder on this genre now by Medal of Honor branch making a come back. OK, both are EA published so they may want to "streamline" things at some point but IMO they would be shooting their own leg with that.

Secondly, EA has a 1 month policy to inform server closings 1 month before hand. Obviously, this is a short time for games like BFBC if you have a lot to accomplish towards platinum. So this latter part of the answer is actually not that encouraging.

Would it be pointless to get this game

I was goint to get it but seeing that the server will close down in 2 months

will there be any point of me getting the game?

EA have not confirmed or denied this rumour which means nothing. There has been a constant string of rumours that the servers will close since Bad Company 2 came out.

Alot of the comments I read on the Battlefield forums say that this is their favourite console version of the game. The fanbase is still huge and I think it'd be a silly move for EA to drop their servers with activity still at such a high level. It's not like a sports game that gets new versions coming out each year so it's a little unfair to compare it to previous server closures.

Edited by avfc52

I can see this being true and EA are purely holding out there announcement until 1st of December (allowing for there 1 month server notice) with bfbc2 growing in popularity and the new battlefield in the works not to mention the inevitable next bad company it would actually make perfect sense for them to close the servers and move everyone to bfbc2 and the new battlefield when it's released.

yeah, imo it'd be a stupid move... I can't say the servers are really full with ppl, if you hop around in a bunch of games you run into the same ppl pretty quick. but they do have an MASSIVE fanbase, and those ppl did NOT switch to BBC2 (most of em don't even have it). I got an friend from that, all he does is play this game like 20 hours a week, so yeah no lack of ppl...

but I agree, EA couldn't be move vague about the issue with this email...

and yeah this is the first of those rumors that SEEMED to be true...

(like 90% of my friend list playing this game believed in it...)

and I'm like just gonna try make it by 1 jan;)

that really would suck, my friend was trying hard to get 10,001 kills in this game.

He might miss the trophy by 1 kill if hes only going for 10,001 kills :p

yeah, imo it'd be a stupid move... I can't say the servers are really full with ppl, if you hop around in a bunch of games you run into the same ppl pretty quick.

Its pretty much the same people playing this game rooms are full but like you said donkey its all the same few dozen people, hell ive even seen you about 20times in the past 2weeks i think lol. I can really see this being true which is why i have been playing nothing but this with about 1300 kills left im not to worried about the site closing about 2 weeks ago i was only on 4300kills now over 8700 im making the kills quick enough, it would just be shame if alot of people where cut short especially after alot of people stopped playing like me when the iam bad company glitch hit them and BFBC2 came out.

Its pretty much the same people playing this game rooms are full but like you said donkey its all the same few dozen people, hell ive even seen you about 20times in the past 2weeks i think lol. I can really see this being true which is why i have been playing nothing but this with about 1300 kills left im not to worried about the site closing about 2 weeks ago i was only on 4300kills now over 8700 im making the kills quick enough, it would just be shame if alot of people where cut short especially after alot of people stopped playing like me when the iam bad company glitch hit them and BFBC2 came out.

LOL, really that much? haha, didn't see you trough...

(I usualy only remeber random ppl online that kill me a lot and sometimes if I kills ppl more than 5 times in the same game:P)

yeah atm I'm doing 200 kills a day, will take me a full month to finish trough... well I hope I can keep it up, coz this way I'll be done in time:D

• 4 weeks later...
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it in time by Jan 1... I actually did it... I got that stupid Platinum...

Stan: "I can't believe it's all over... What do we do now?"

Cartmen: "What do you mean? Now we can finally play the game..."

Hahaha yesss. That was exactly my thoughts after getting platinum :applause:

I don't think that the official EA server shut down web page have been posted so here it is:

Service Updates

As you can see, no mention of BFBC server shut down seen and the latest shut down is due to LOTR licensing deal ending. Before that, about 6 months ago, some services were shut down because of inactivity.

What is not good, is that in case of LOTR shut down scheduled for 31-December-2010, EA did not use their 30 days rule of informing customers before hand, as the information has been added today, or yesterday as I have been monitoring this web page on daily basis.

Edit: Ironically I'm actually hit by this LOTR shut down as I have a PC copy of the game (LOTR:TBFME II), only played the single player campaign ever though :D

Edited by Strat1968