Online noob, any tips?

Harry94_

I got battlefield 3 on release date last year, I completed the campaign on hard and did a few co-op missions. I played the online but didn't have a clue what I was doing, I ended up selling the game early this year.

Today, I bought the game again after trading in MW3. I'm downloading the massive patches and B2K now, also the recon shortcut kit.

I really want to get into the online of this game, but I just don't really know how it works. When I first played it seemed like the only gun available for me to use was that AK74us thing, and not much else. I spent the entire time running towards objectives only to get killed by something/somebody. I know what to do in rush but I don't know much else, the spawn/squad system confuses me too :p

Can anybody give me some tips? Also, how does the weapon system work? I'm not sure how I go about unlocking specific things.

Thanks in advance!

Just a tip download the physical warfare pack, this will help u to start up. Secondly u play as Russian and the Americans, u get an ak for the ur and a m16 for the Americans. As u play with a class eg. Recon, support you will unlock guns for that class, these classes have the same start up system as the rest one ru and one us gun.

U unlock sights ect as use that gun more and get more kills.

Spawn system, u can spawn on a squad mate to get direct in the action.

(note this cannot be done in tdm)

Also u can spawn in a development or random spot, this will put you normally near tanks and stuff and will also give you time to re-group.

Not saying you are a cod noob,but tdm is and easy game mode to get into, I'm the best at it:p

Cq is when u have to take flags,like domination in cod, run to them and watch them drop, this can only be done with a red flag, these are big maps so try to use a buggy or something.

The other game modes are not as good or as important, I missed out rush because u know it:whistle:

Just a tip download the physical warfare pack, this will help u to start up. Secondly u play as Russian and the Americans, u get an ak for the ur and a m16 for the Americans. As u play with a class eg. Recon, support you will unlock guns for that class, these classes have the same start up system as the rest one ru and one us gun.

U unlock sights ect as use that gun more and get more kills.

Spawn system, u can spawn on a squad mate to get direct in the action.

(note this cannot be done in tdm)

Also u can spawn in a development or random spot, this will put you normally near tanks and stuff and will also give you time to re-group.

Not saying you are a cod noob,but tdm is and easy game mode to get into, I'm the best at it:p

Cq is when u have to take flags,like domination in cod, run to them and watch them drop, this can only be done with a red flag, these are big maps so try to use a buggy or something.

The other game modes are not as good or as important, I missed out rush because u know it:whistle:

Thanks for the reply. I got the physical warfare pack before, not sure what it added though :p

I'm familiar with TDM, so I'll give that a go.

First of all just play until you know the maps, don't worry about your K/D just learn the maps, follow a couple of high level players around to see what they do, learn all the nooks and crannies of the maps best areas for capping flags, best short cuts to the next objectives.

If you run like Leeroy Jenkins everywhere you'll get nowhere you really have to be careful.

There are the four different classes as you know each of the weapons are different even under the same class so get yourself on Battlelog to have a look at the guns for each class, some have a high RoF but higher recoil and others lower with less recoil there are other aspects but these are the main one you'll want to consider.

As you play with each class you'll unlock new guns and gadgets as you play with certain guns the more kills you get the more attachments you'll unlock like scopes and suppressors as you level up however you'll unlock PDWs and shotguns that can be used on any of the classes unlike say snipers which are recon only.

Then there are vehicles, as you earn points in a vehicle you'll unlock new perks for that vehicle you'll want to try everything out because it can be fun but watch out for anti-tank mines, C4, or anti-tank soldiers if your in an MBT or IVF. If you are in the air well it takes a lot of practise, try the basics first in the comfort of your base if you can and then fly out and try to take some people on be warned you'll get your ass handed to you in the air.

Check this out on a guide for jets -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqtxMfZvl4c]BF3 101: Jet Basics by Wrath (Battlefield 3 Gameplay/Commentary) - YouTube[/ame]

And this for a guide for choppers -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIMp5efqP4k&feature=watch_response]BF3 101: Chopper Pilot Badass School with Wrath (Battlefield 3 Gameplay/Commentary) - YouTube[/ame]

I'm leaving out the basics because you can really pick up the basic flying pretty easy but things like killing lock can be really difficult which is where the videos help when it comes to one-on-ones.

Little things like firing off one heat-seeker to draw out an enemy pilots flairs and then firing another to score a hit is a nifty trick instead of firing both your rockets off as soon as you have lock but you'll pick it up as you get a hand for the game.

Soon you'll learn more advanced tricks like hitting the buildings in Bazaar with an RPG to knock rubble down onto the enemy to kill them, but for now just play to get a feel for the game it'll take you 20 hours until you're 100% with all the maps, remember don't stick to one map play them all.

Good luck, and remember you can always join the PS3T Battlefield Clan. [/shameless plug] ;)

Good hunting.

*Edit - Remember to always spot your enemies with the Select button. It helps everybody. :)

Play conquest is my first thing I recommend. TDM might be good at first for points and unlocking weapons/gadgets. But when you have some nice loadouts switch to conquest. In my opinion it's where you can have most fun in the game.

The main thing you need to learn in battlefield is getting used to pushing the select button while aiming and moving around. It spots people which is very helpful. If you have a clear line of sight you see a red triangle above him and he will always shows up on the minimap for a certain time. Even if you get shot your teammates will know where he is.

Another thing I recommend is getting better in the vehicles. It is one of the main things bf has over other games and knowing how to use them really adds to the gameplay. Especially the air vehicles. They may seem hard at first, but once you know how to use them you will love it. The vehicles just add so much fun to the game.

Then you need to learn how to use the kits to your advantage. Don't use assault on big maps like Oman or Wake Island that are filled with vehicles because you will be pretty much useless in most games. Use engineer to be able to take out vehicles from a distance and repair your own or from your teammate with the repair tool. Or use the C4 from support to your advantage to kill vehicles.

On maps like Grand Bazaar and Metro you should play assault or support. assault has the best weapons and you can revive/heal teammates and support also has good weapons and you can resupply ammo.

Sniping is different in this game due to the bullet drop. You can't just aim at a head and shoot at longer ranges You can also use the recon kit to place spawn beacons which make a mobile spawnpoint for you squad or place motion sensors (like the portable radar from MW3). Can be very helpful if your team gets spawntrapped and you are able to place a beacon outside of your spawn. Long range sniping isn't very helpful to the objective but it can be fun.

After getting used to it you can use many different kits on every map if you know how to use them and start having loads of fun. You can place C4 on a jeep and drive it in to a tank and detonate it to destroy the tank. You can roadkill people with any kind of vehicle, even jets and helicopters. Join the PS3T clan and we can all help you!

My last tip since you're from CoD is that the knife is different. You will get an animation if you sneak up behind them and kill them in one hit. This will make you take their tags. If you knive from the front there is no animation and it takes two hits and you won't get tags.

Most of the things are said. Just have fun and learn everything with BF3. Battlelog is a great resource for info on weapons and your stats/next unlocks. Stats are not important in my opinion.

And also: play how you want to play it. Yesterday I was called a camper. Didn't know what I did wrong in his eyes, I was flanking all the time and sometimes waited at a corner, because I was shot at and managed to get away and let him come to me to kill him or saw a enemy coming with my T-ugs. :think:

Edited by Wadloper

As mentioned, conquest net's the most points.

If there are tanks, grab that, despite the patch making them weaker they still pack a punch, learn your classes and what they do, this will help net points...

Assault-Despite the loadouts and assault rifles you are basically a medic (health kits and can revive others) with the option of underslung weapons (a 3rd weapon, a shotgun or grenade launcher if you so choose)

Engineer-You are a vehicle destroyer, you have rpg's of all sorts (lock on, unguided and anti air), a carbine (like an assault rifle but shorter range) for infantry, and the option of repairing vehicles, destroying them with your rpg or anti tank mines, or having fun with the EOD bot (pick up mines, kill infantry in a silly manner, arm mcoms or repair/destroy vehicles with it).

On larger maps people usually go this class...

Support-You can go rambo with this guy to some extend, you got lmg's (extended mag on a m249 is bliss~) a variety of explosives (c4 for remote controlled destruction-2 charges kills tanks, claymores for anti infantry/jeep defence, or mortars for mid range explosions) and can throw ammo down to help team mates...

This gives me the most points, despite 10 per refill in crowded areas this adds up, add the medals and damn there ya go~

Best with a shotgun too, dont need to worry about running out ;)

Recon-Unless with a pdw and playing in a manner that brings team mates to the front, this doesn't ned much points, you got sniper rifles (you can instant kill guys up close with bolt actions but groups will be a handful) mav for spotting and portability, tugs for stationary radar support (id reccomend the mav) and the soflam for vehicle laser designation...

Pair a soflam recon with a engineer with a javalin, look for some jets or helis or even tanks, and have a blast, sadly doesnt get much points unless you are godly XD

As for vehicle use, thanks to the patch vehicles wont be easy (harder than before) to use and dont last long, tanks and ifv's give a fair amount of points but with rpg's and c4 being used you must be fully aware of those near, heli's can be good if paired with an engineer who can repair on the fly/experienced gunner who will help keep your chopper in the air...

And my fav, the jet, at first poor point gather, but once you get into the right games these will gather tones of points, just learn to kill infantry with main weapon (the machine gun) and used guided shells ;)

I hoped I helped, over 300 hours, still loving this~

If you haven't already bought the recon shortcut kit, don't. TBH, unless you like camping and slapping a giant label on your back (aka the game you just traded in), it's semi useless. The SOFLAM is one of the most useful "perks" of the recon but only is effective on vehicle maps. IMHO, any sniper that sits 2km away from the battle in a conquest game is the most useless player. In the PC version with 64 players it's acceptable, but when it's 12vs12 on console, 1 ineffective camping person can swing the battle the wrong way.

You'll get most from this game if you play as support or engineer. There's nothing like running into a cap point, RPG'ing a tank and capping the point yourself. You just won't get that experience if you're on the top of a hill screaming "guys, I totally see that guy way over there!"

If you haven't already bought the recon shortcut kit, don't. TBH, unless you like camping and slapping a giant label on your back (aka the game you just traded in), it's semi useless. The SOFLAM is one of the most useful "perks" of the recon but only is effective on vehicle maps. IMHO, any sniper that sits 2km away from the battle in a conquest game is the most useless player. In the PC version with 64 players it's acceptable, but when it's 12vs12 on console, 1 ineffective camping person can swing the battle the wrong way.

You'll get most from this game if you play as support or engineer. There's nothing like running into a cap point, RPG'ing a tank and capping the point yourself. You just won't get that experience if you're on the top of a hill screaming "guys, I totally see that guy way over there!"

Already bought it :o

But I don't intend on sitting hundreds of miles away from the objectives.

Everyone else has already said all the important tips. So I'll just keep restating.

Your already at a decent disadvantage this point in the game since you didn't get many guns unlocked. Even the Christmas noobs have the majority of the guns now. So my recommendation is to play an Operation Metro 24/7 Server given you can find one that isn't just a 1000 ticket spawn rape.

Playing a team support role, you'll outscore TDM out the ass even if you don't get many kills. Just spam the defibs and ammo boxes. Hell, randomly throw out an MAV or T-UGS and expect a flood of free points. Its the best way to unlock weapons really fast.

I don't mean to discredit TDM, you can still score very high on the high kill count TDM maps, but if your a noob, your not going to. You can be terrible at kills and still score high with support actions on Conquest. On TDM, if your not good at killing, your score will be low.

Also, learn how to use vehicles. They were super nerfed in the last patch, and you need all the practice you can get with them now. To start off, heres an instructional video on helicopters:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3SzhK-KX4M]How to Helicopter - YouTube[/ame]

Everyone else has already said all the important tips.

I don't mean to discredit TDM, you can still score very high on the high kill count TDM maps, but if your a noob, your not going to. You can be terrible at kills and still score high with support actions on Conquest. On TDM, if your not good at killing, your score will be low.

Also, learn how to use vehicles. They were super nerfed in the last patch, and you need all the practice you can get with them now. To start off, heres an instructional video on helicopters:

Does this mean I am the best in the clan at killing as I'm the best at tdm:p

Know your role...

Support class with a large LMG, 200 rounds and a bi-pod can really help your team push up or keep the enemy from advancing. As AlphaCookie mentioned "spam ammo" I can't express how many points you can get just running between two squads dropping them ammo crates.

Assualt class, don't forget to heal if you have health packs and use your de-fibs, 100 points a revive and it adds a ticket back to your team so its a win win.

Engineer class, don't just use it for the carbine. RPG, Javelin, mines, repair tool all come in very handy. And if your team is getting pumped by an attack heli use the Stinger. Theres not enough people who do use the stinger and would rather leave a match cos they are too stupid to change from assualt to a more usefull class for the situation.

Recon class... Hmmm, I like using the MAV on rush maps, I send it straight from our spawn and park it on a building near or above the M-com station. You just parked a mobile motion sensor over where the enemy will be going... Que the motion assists and points points points. :D Alot of people use Recon with PDW's or shotguns. This can be good if you plan to get close and fight for the objective but bolt-action sniper with ACOG, laser sight and straight pull bolt is ace at medium to close range. Also don't forget to put a spawn point close to the objective so your squad can get back to the fight in 50 metres instead of running the 250 metres or sometimes more as it can be in some maps.

You'll pick up the little tricks and learn the ins and outs of the maps in time. Also yeah it would be a good idea to get some time in vehicles and learn how to use them as some of them got buffed whereas others got nerfed. :think:

Does this mean I am the best in the clan at killing as I'm the best at tdm:p

Not really, people can kill in any game mode so it doesn't really matter.

If you can get a high amount of kills, and low amount of deaths, and PTFO, and support your team with med-kits or ammo crates and bake a cake whilst blindfolded then you'll be the best in the clan. ;)

Not really, people can kill in any game mode so it doesn't really matter.

If you can get a high amount of kills, and low amount of deaths, and PTFO, and support your team with med-kits or ammo crates and bake a cake whilst blindfolded then you'll be the best in the clan. ;)

I'm not sure what PTFO stands for but I eat chocolate while playing so I guess I'm the best in the clan, thanks for the heads up:p

Why thank you , now harry all you need to do is make a cake and get 50 per game and you two will be as good as me:p

I've seen your stats. Your hardly the best of anything. :rofl:

You barely squeeze into the Top 43 active members. Your grammar stat probably being the worst in the clan (yes it matters). :whistle:

By the way Harry, if you aspire to be as good as squiggles one day you'll need to start off with the recommended 17 strikes to the head with a blunt object per day.