More tips for "Leonidas"

NinjaSpy

I'm posting this for the person who helped me get my player match trophies, but anyone else having problems with this trophy can keep reading. Note, this is practically a character guide for beginners, so it is a long read. Use this if you feel like you need some guidance badly. For experienced fighting game players, just read my last sentence.

The way i approached getting 30 wins in a row was by being as cheap as possible (this is also how I got 99% of my wins in ranked matches). Who's the cheapest, easiest character to use early on? Deathbringer.

Deathbringer has one of the greatest ranges in the game, and his combos do some fairly decent damage. However, what makes him cheap is his horse-charging attack (Half circle back B/D, I believe). This move is completely invincible to most attacks as long as you are holding B, and during the entire beginning portion of the animation. Most computer opponents love rushing you down with ridiculous attacks, so use this when you think the computer will start attacking (or just spam this attack. Works too). It will help you win at least the first 15 wins easily. Later on the computer starts punishing you if they block this attack, but it still comes in handy throughout your climb to 30 wins.

So the backbone to your strategy is to land that attack as much as possible, but you need a few more tools to really win effectively during your climb (especially during matches 21-30, when the computer starts to parry almost EVERYTHING). Deathbringers C attacks are a nice compliment to the horse-charge. I'll go through them now:

-His neutral C is a long ranged poke that is relatively safe if you hit with the tip of it. Try to hit opponents doing random attacks from far away from you with this attack. This is extremely effective vs computer Coyori; you can beat her without even worrying about her attacks if you stay far enough away from her to hit with the tip of this attack. If the opponent is any closer to you , this attack does two hits, with the second hit bringing you closer to you. If you're good enough, you can try to combo that second hit into (shoryuken motion) + C for some good damage. Be careful about using this attack too much; for some reason your opponent can hit the sword and hurt you. This makes no sense at all (why is the sword a part of your body?), but be aware of this. This applies to all of his attacks. Effective against: Donvalve, Coyori, taller characters.

-down+C is also a long reaching poke, but its main use is to mix up your attacks against the opponent. It is a low-hitting move, so if the opponent is not crouching (if they're walking around), then this is free damage. Its not as great of a range as neutral C, but it can be used similarly. This attack is most effective against the short characters in the game; the neutral C goes over the heads of every short character if they're crouching, so they can usually punish you or walk closer to you. Try using this attack in combination with the neutral C to push your opponent away from you; you are winning when you're near full screen away from your opponent. Effective against: shorties, people not crouching.

-Jump+C is an amazing attack. This attack hits diagonally downward, has a very long reach, and is pretty safe to spam early on against the computers. The opponent must be standing to block this attack, so you can mix this attack up with the down+C to force them to block high and low (not a great mix up, but it is good to have, and it is fairly safe). Whenever you jump you might as well use this attack if you think your opponent will stay on the ground. Using this attack while you are jumping towards your opponent is a good way to get closer to you opponent if you ever want to get close. If the opponent is in the air then neutral D is a better option, but you can still just use Jump+C instead since you'll still sometimes hit them with it. Effective against: Everybody, but doesn't do too much damage.

Those three attacks plus the horse-charge is really all you need to get the 30 wins. Sometimes you'll also want to do the (shoryuken) + C instead of the horse attack because 1) If you're far enough with it, it is safe even when your opponent blocks it, 2) it hits opponents jumping from far away a little better, and 3) It hit multiple times, so the computer will usually parry the first hit and get hurt by the rest of the hits. I found myself spamming this attack almost as much as the horse charge, but you can find what works for you. EDIT: This attack also does a lot of damage even when the opponent blocks. Use this to finish a match if necessary.

Eventually, the computer WILL get in close to you, and this is when you'll need to use some other attacks. If they're in your face, try to block their attacks, looking for a gap and attaching with crouching (or standing) A when you can. The A attack comes out pretty fast, so you could try to spam it to help push your opponent away from you. Crouching B is not as fast as A, but it hits slightly farther away AND it is a low hitting attack, so use this when A wont hit. If you're really desperate you can try to use one of the D attacks or the horse charge attack; these attacks do make you invincible for a time, so you can try to soak in a few hits and counter hit them. I don't really advise this, but it's just another option that you have.

A few more misc. notes: You can charge him up using Quarter-circle back + B/D (I think, look at command list). This puts a white glow around Deathbringer that doesn't go away until you use your horse charge attack or (shoryuken)+A/C, or if you get knocked down by your opponent. This charge makes those two special attacks do slightly more damage, sure, but its the slight speed increase that's extremely helpful. The speed increase makes it easier for you to jump around and keep yourself away from the opponent.

Deathbringer has NO great way to use meter, so you don't really have to worry about it. Going into heat mode and hitting 3 times with a sword attack does pull off a damaging super attack, but landing 3 sword hits in such a short amount of time is pretty hard. His other super attack that uses meter can only really be used if you have your opponent cornered. This super lets you charge the sword attack for about 5-6 seconds; during this time you are completely invincible to all attacks, but still vulnerable to grabs. If fully charged, this attack does will kill in one hit and do a lot of damage even if it is blocked. Against the computers, they will just grab you if you hold it for too long so its not very useful against them. Online players, however, don't seem to know its properties, so you can get a free win this way if you have them cornered. The only "viable" way to land this attack against the computer is to wait for the computer to jump, and hold the charge until they try to hit you while they're in the air. The attack wont hurt you, and you'll be countering with a lot of damage, but again this isn't really necessary.

I didn't write much about the D attacks, so try to experiment with them yourself to see what they can do. They're similar to the C attacks except they come out slower and leave you invincible for a bit. Also they can be charged. I didnt use them much, but you might find some uses (like back+D is a great anti air attack).

This is all I can say about Deathbringer. He is extremely easy to pick up and win with. He has a lot of health so you can take a few hits occasionally, and he does a lot of normal attacks that accumulate into big damage. Just play him from far away if possible, with the occasional close ranged fighting, and you'll be set. I'm no expert in this game so some of the things I said may be wrong, but it is enough to win you 30 survival wins in a row. It took me about 6-7 tries to get this trophy though, so keep that in mind. Try to see which attacks are good against certain characters by experimenting a little bit, and you'll get this trophy. I suggest googling for a few easy combos that you could use with Deathbringer, but it isn't completely necessary (I did use a few combos, but I forgot them already...). Good luck on trying to get this trophy, and I'm sorry for the long read (and my horrible grammar skills if some of these sentences seemed off).

TL;DR, Deathbringer = Dhalsim with health.

EDIT: Here is a video I found that shows somebody playing Deathbring essentially the way I written above. Glad to see that most of what I wrote about was right, apparently. Notice the Deathbringer is really just trying to play from far away and attack when the opponent misses an attack. Computers are stupider than people, so some of the things I wrote about above will work only against computers (and bad players)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by9TRzJ3hlI][Project Fi.G.H.T.S.] Battle Fantasia - Chuey (Urs) vs Scavenger XIII (Deathbringer) - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by NinjaSpy

Good info, DB is the best char to get 30. I've tried about 3 times and gotten 25. Should get 30 soon.

One point I would like to add is I found a great use of meter. Forget heating up, if you use crouch+C attack at close range, it will turn into a 2 hit combo, with the second hit launching the enemy close to you. If both hit, immediately afterward activate Final Inferno super (QCF2x+A/C and hold). The comp AI will follow a pattern of backdashing to escape, never trying to attack or throw you out of animation. During its unsuccessful attempt to back away, release A/C and Final Inferno will hit the vast majority of times, easily taking out half of their health bar.

Edit: IMPORTANT, this will not work against mirror match Deathbringer, as he walks backwards without backdashing, therefore blocking 100% of the time

Edited by brafix

Urs is manageable to me. A lot of the things he does is fairly unsafe (except his normal attacks). I just grabbed after I blocked whatever he threw at me. If he does start hitting you though it can be very hard to push him back.

I agree with those other characters though. Pretty annoying, and they're the guys I lost to during my first few attempts (Got 29 wins on my 2nd try, just to lose to Odile).

I can't get past 8 at the moment =/ am I correct to assume they get harder as it goes on? it seems so. I just got all the story ones on very easy, now getting used to the characters etc.. learning the moves. I see now though playing normal how much harder it actually is...

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/hades079.png

Edited by MKD