Battle: Los Angeles - Campaign Walkthrough

http://i.imgur.com/sMAZqRV.png

Header by RED_REBEL44

Campaign Walkthrough:

Go to Campaign > Start new campaign > Easy (1st Playthrough):

No other options are unlocked to select except “Start a new campaign”, and you should select a Difficulty of Easy for the first campaign. Since the Difficulty Setting related trophies are not stackable, three playthrough are required. During the first campaign you’ll unlock: Pool and Dive , Long Range, Hummer, Kaboom, Rocketman (Glitched and Missable), Droppin Bombs, and Private.

Each mission of the campaign starts with a comic sequence that follows the movie storyline and explains that mission’s objectives. These sequences can always be skipped, without effecting trophies, by pressing the :start: button. An onscreen compass (with a red marker) will indicate the direction of the next objective, while an overview of mission objectives can be obtained by holding down :select:. The four missions of the campaign are:

• Secure the civilians at the police station
  • Provide civilian evac out of the bombing zone
  • Explore the ‘dead zone’ and localize the alien command and control center
  • Destroy the alien command and control center

The first mission of the campaign will have you immediately climbing a ladder to reach the roof of a nearby building. The sniper rifle will be located here and should be picked up by hitting :square: while standing near the rifle. Begin using only the sniper rifle as you fight your way forward to reach your first cutscene comic sequence. Learn to use the :r3: button to kneel behind cover.

Soon you will come to the first ambush point near a pool. Pay attention to how the two aliens appear as you must be certain to survive this area in a later playthrough. Following your completion of this area, the trophy Pool and Dive will unlock. Use the sniper rifle until you’ve unlocked Long Range, at which time you can switch back to your assault rifle if preferred. After another comic sequence cutscene, you will be attempting evac of civilians out of the bombing zone. Here you will mount the HMV turret by pressing :square:. Hold the fire button while on the turret and aim at the two areas where aliens show on both the right and the left. Continue until you receive red arrows indicating you should shoot the tanker on the bridge. Once completed you should receive the trophy, Hummer, for killing more than 15 aliens with the mounted gun. Once you have dropped down from the Humvee, continue moving along the left until you get an indication to climb a tanker truck. Climb the tanker and snipe the walking gunner straight out in front until its health bar is depleted. Be prepared to shoot the alien that climbs upon the orange bus directly in front of you.

A cutscene takes you to the next area where you must destroy an alien air unit. When inside the building, facing the aliens at the other end of the factory, stand behind cover atop the gold ammo box. From here you can repeatedly throw unlimited grenades to quickly decimate the alien enemies. Next you will accompany Sgt. Nantz up to the roof, near the gas station, so that you can provide him with sniper support. The key is to take out enemy forces that have an angle of attack on Sgt. Nantz. If his health bar depletes completely, the mission is failed and must be repeated. From the first sniper perch, you will fall into the building (but not die), due to an alien air unit destroying the building. Cross through a few rooms to again reach another spot where you can continue to support Sgt. Nantz. After Nantz reaches the gas tank on the semi, you can then shoot the tank (when indicated) to take out the first alien air unit. This earns you the trophy Kaboom.

You’ll next travel to meet TSgt. Santos outside the bombing zone. Along this path is a bridge where you will encounter another alien air unit. On the bridge you will exchange your sniper rifle with a rocket launcher by pressing :square:. Fire at this alien ship when the front if it first starts to turn blue. Often if you fire quickly enough you can get an immediate second shot. Shots made while the ship is not in this process will always be evaded by it. Once inside the nearby building you can again stand atop the gold ammo crate to receive unlimited rockets. When the alien ship is at around ¼ or less health, you can usually fire quickly and repeatedly to destroy it fast. Before leaving this area, reload the rocket launcher, and KEEP IT! You must use the rocket launcher soon to avoid missing a glitched trophy.

After coming to the next area of enemies, hug the left wall and take out the single enemy on the ground in front of you. Advance slightly and take out the three enemies that appear on the roof. Turn to your left and take aim down the alley with the rocket launcher. You should see a sign for a “drug store.” Take aim at the ground, at the other end of the alley, where the right side building’s wall ends. Slowly move forward until two enemies appear very closely together. Take a single rocket launcher shot (to kill both simultaneously) to earn Rocketman. If you miss killing both aliens together, let these enemies kill you, and let the game automatically reload from the last checkpoint. It is important to not advance without getting the trophy here. It is confirmed as glitched during attempts at starting a game from a reloaded checkpoint. Also, the trophy is missable due to losing the launcher immediately following this section and its mission ending cutscene.

Exploring the ‘dead zone’ starts by you sniping two aliens on walking guns. This leads to the underground utility section where you will encounter a large group of aliens in an underground tunnel. Take advantage of the colored alien pods on the ground by shooting them when aliens are nearby them. They explode and cause a grenade like effect and damage. Take cover behind the wall and wait for your opportunity to evac up the ladder. This happens regardless of how many enemies are killed so you can simply wait around the corner for this.

This next section again has you protecting Sgt. Nantz as he laser designates the alien command center for an air strike. Sgt. Nantz’s health bar is an issue here so priority targets, should again, be the aliens with an angle to shoot at Sgt. Nantz. After the bombs have hit the alien command center, you’ll receive the trophy Droppin Bombs, and a cutscene will trigger.

The job of destroying the alien command center is not quite done. You must advance forward to support another attack on the now hovering alien command center. The first section has an opportunity to spam the area with infinite grenades while standing on the gold ammo crate. After you have killed the initial aliens in this first area, a single remaining alien will attempt to ambush you upon your walking through.

The next area is again shooting down an alien air unit with a rocket launcher. Use the same tactics of firing during the alien ship’s blue charging phase. Be aware of the ship firing back with rockets immediately after you have fired upon it. These will kill you quickly if they land nearby.

Advance forward to the final battle where you will again climb a Humvee to use a mounted turret. Provide air support for Sgt. Nantz, one last time, by shooting the repeated waves of alien aircraft in the sky as well as the alien ground forces in the foreground. No more than 3 alien aircraft will appear at any one time so when not shooting at these aircraft concentrate on the ground forces. After the destruction of the alien command center, a final cutscene sequence will occur, and the trophy Private will arrive. A message is received after each playthrough indicating that new content has been unlocked. This content consists of Videos, Pictures, and Mods (that modify gameplay) and does not need to be viewed at this point.

Edited by Terminator
Replaced a missing image.

Go to Campaign > Start new campaign > Normal (2nd Playthrough):

This second playthrough will earn the trophies Color Me Impressed and Staff Sergeant. The missions will be exactly the same as the first run through except it will be slightly easier to die and slightly more difficult to kill the aliens.

After starting the mission, you must advance, slower than before, using a sniper rifle. Stay behind your squad as you snipe all enemies from cover. The trophy Color Me Impressed is missable and its description clearly states “Complete a mission on Normal without dying, failing, restarting, or continuing the campaign.”. Dying at any part, until the trophy unlocks, will require going to Main Menu > Campaign > Start new campaign > Normal to try again.

You must only complete the first mission objective of reaching the police station for the trophy. Completion occurs at the start of the second cutscene sequence which happens just prior to the mission for providing civilian evacuation. Two areas to watch out for are the ambush that occurred at the pool (alien jumps from right side of pool with one on the roof to the right) and the last area at the left side of an intersection near a bus (alien on roof of bus with others on left side of bus). Approach and handle these areas carefully as they are the most risk to successful completion of this missable trophy.

Finish this second campaign playthrough, as before, to earn the next Difficulty Select trophy Staff Sergeant.

Go to Campaign > Start new campaign > Hard (3rd Playthrough):

This last playthrough will be the hardest but you will now be familiar with the campaign layouts and ambush locations as they are the same on each playthrough. Completion earns Sergeant Major for completing it on Hard Difficulty and One Hundo for unlocking all unlockable video content.

Go to Unlockables > Video > Destroyed HMV:

This final selection action will be the fastest way to get the last trophy Seen Your Video and will complete the 100% for this game.

Additional Tips & Strategies:

• Gold ammo boxes can be used unlimited times and thereby standing on them gives you unlimited ammo.
  • Using the sniper rifle and falling back within the ranks of the squad can keep you from getting hit but can make progress slower through the campaign.
  • Shots in the head and the heart (per the movie storyline) are very effective for killing the aliens.
  • Explosions are very damaging to the aliens; including grenades, exploding vehicles, and explosions caused by shooting the alien pods encountered in the utility corridors.
  • Rocket launchers can only be exchanged with the sniper rifle and always disappear after a cutscene sequence.

Thank you all very much for enjoying my walkthrough and please let me know if you have any recommended improvements or questions. If you have found this helpful, and it has brought you to join ps3trophies.org, then please feel free to give me a referral upon signup.

Edited by KryptoniteDragon

The game is so EASY that you don't need a walkthrough. On hard campaign took me a little under 40min. Overall pretty easy game.

Yeah I played through the first time and it was very easy. However, when I played it on hard at a later time it was very difficult and included some glitchy aliens. I think the biggest thing is learning the ambushes and how to deal with certain trophies like the double kill with the rocket launcher. Hopefully you at least got something out of the walkthrough?

yeah i had one glitchy alien that i shot in the head 4 times with the sniper rifle and it didnt die until i tossed a grenade at it...and yes bout 40 minutes or so on hard...shame it wasnt longer it would have been awesome as a full game not just 4 missions

I agree. I noticed on subsequent playthroughs that certain aliens can get very hard to kill but they are also turning pink and purple every now and then. Makes me think it is a glitch.

i was able to get rocketman in the final battle. simply not go on the turrent immediatly and instead go to the right and pick around the corner - there will be one aline joining the second one behind the car in the fron of you - shoot the car and the throphy is yours.

i was able to get rocketman in the final battle. simply not go on the turrent immediatly and instead go to the right and pick around the corner - there will be one aline joining the second one behind the car in the fron of you - shoot the car and the throphy is yours.

Thats a great tip. How did you keep from losing the final battle though? Don't they overun and kill Sgt. Nantz?

• 1 month later...

I never once had a problem with this game. I had 100% before the trophy guide was made, and i see no point in this either lol but thanks for putting in the time to make it, since it probably took more time to make this guide then to play threw it.

• 1 month later...
I never once had a problem with this game. I had 100% before the trophy guide was made, and i see no point in this either lol but thanks for putting in the time to make it, since it probably took more time to make this guide then to play threw it.

Probably not everyone had as easy of a time with the game as you may have, especially if they are not familiar with FPS.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...