Dark Knight Challenges Guide

danc

tYJQnch.png 

Credit to ESYLD for the banner.

This supplement guide is by TheManUtdFan and is only permitted to be used on ps3trophies.org

If you see any replications of this on other sites, it is not me, please let me know.

If this guide was helpful, or you want to ask a question, join the site!.

The Challenges are a new feature in Arkham Origins. They have you performing a sequence of tasks based on combat, predators and movement. They reward you with new gadgets and upgrades, costumes and of course trophies.

There are four challenge tracks. The fourth, World's Greatest Detective is very self explanatory so will not be covered in this guide. However, you may need help with the other three, so all the tips you will need are in this guide.

This guide is completely open to tips and suggestions to add to the guide, so write your tip, and I'll see about adding it to the guide. With credit of course!

Don't fear about losing your progress when advancing to further playthroughs, as these all carry over to NG+ and IATN night mode. Note than none of these unlock in challenge maps (although, a patch is said to be in the works to enable this functionality), and in the case of most of the Worst Nightmare track, have to be done in story encounters. Most of the time, rooftops won't work.

The trophies unlocked through doing challenges are:

1CA.jpg  Shadow Vigilante (B)

Master the Shadow Vigilante Dark Knight track

A46.jpg  Gotham Protector (B)

Master the Gotham Protector Dark Knight track

AAE.jpg  Worst Nightmare (B)

Master the Worst Nightmare Dark Knight track

D09.jpg  World's Greatest Detective (B)

Master the World's Greatest Detective Dark Knight track

ACA.jpg  Legend of the Dark Knight (S)

Complete all Dark Knight challenges

Edited by Viper
editorial sweep

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YYeOgQS.png 

1. Perform 5 Counters

Extremely easy. When you see the blue circle above an enemies head, hit :triangle:. The indicator isn't available on Hard or NG+.

2. Use the Quickfire Batarang 3 times in combat

Double tap :l2: for the quickfire batarang, repeat this 3 times.

3. Reach x8 Combo Multiplier

Extremely simple. Just perform 8 strikes or moves of any type in a row without interruption for this.

4. Perform 3 Special Combo Takedowns

These are performed using :circle:+:triangle: when the combo meter is yellow. Do this 3 times.

5. Complete a Fight without leaving focus mode

Focus mode is when you get a 12x multiplier (without using special moves) and the combo meter is red. After you reach this, don't use a special move or get your combo interrupted.

6. Score a Variation Bonus of 3

Just do 3 different moves or gadgets to get this. You should be getting this most fights, as strike, counter and stun count as a variation.

7. Knockdown at least 3 enemies with explosive gel

First, find a relatively big group of enemies. Three is the minimum required, but as the range is not massive, it can be difficult to get them all over the gel, so the more the better. The proximity detector is beneficial to tell when three enemies are in range. Place the explosive gel with :l1:+:square:, wait for the detector to display at least 3 enemies, then blow it with the same buttons.

8. Knockdown two enemies with one slide.

To slide, run (hold :cross:) then press :r2:. For this you will need two enemies right next to each other, slide into the one in front and you should knock them both over.

9. Perform a Counter in the middle of a beatdown.

To perform a beatdown, stun an enemy with :circle:, then proceed to spam :square: to beat them down. This is best done on an armoured enemy near other enemies. Commence a beatdown, watch out for the counter indicator, and counter. Then resume beating down the enemy until you KO him.

10. Get an A grade in a fight with at least a high threat level

An A grade is a nearly perfect fight. Try not to get hit more than once, or not at all, and try to flow it in one combo. Varying your moves and gadgets will also get you more chance of an A grade. A big group or one with lots of special enemies will yield a high threat level.

11. Use the power gadget ability 3 times

The power gadget ability is made available after a 12 combo (as long as no special combo moves are performed), or otherwise when the number is red. Once the number is red, use any gadget and it will be much more powerful. Repeat this twice more.

12. Perform 20 critical strikes in one combo

You unlock the critical strike move by completing the Shiva Most Wanted. After this, as long as you use the combat system correctly (not spamming) you should routinely get criticals from a x3 combo up. As long as there are enough enemies, this isn't a problem.

13. X30 combo and 7 variations in a single fight

A 30x combo should be routine for you now. Then you just need 7 variations. Do a different combo move every time you get a yellow combo number, use the shock gloves and a couple of gadgets and you should easily surpass it.

14. Take out 3 or more enemies with the multi-ground takedown.

The multiground takedown is :circle:+:cross:, and can only be performed when the combo number is yellow and an enemy is on the ground. For this however, you need 3 at least. By reaching x5, as long as you were quick enough you should have 3 on the ground, if not, keep hitting until you do. Then perform the multiground takedown, if it hits three this will be completed.

15.In a fight, don't get hit and get at least 50x combo and 15 variations

This is the toughest, and by completing this, the first track will be complete. You'll need all the moves and gadgets you've learned for this. First, get to 50x multiplier. Use all of the combo moves when you get yellow numbers and activate the shock gloves when you gain them. Use a counter at least once instead of always jumping over, as this counts as a variation too. When you surpass 50, use all gadgets. The reason you shouldn't use them in the combo is that you can lose it if you miss, and there are less enemies so less chance to get hit when you do the batclaw. You should have the 50 combo and 15 variations by now. Just finish the fight without getting hit, and you should unlock this.

Edited by Viper
editorial sweep

CZvKrvY.png 

1. Perform a 75m glide (no grapnel accelerator)

Simply jump off any high building into open area, and maintain a glide and you should easily achieve this.

2. Perform a 25m dive

Jump off a high building, the same as 1. if you want, and instantly hold :r2:, and when you hit the ground you should get it if it was high enough

3. Complete the 4 basic AR drills

The AR drills are marked on the bridge on the map. These aren't difficult at all, just gliding through circles and you shouldn't find difficulty here.

4. Perform a Grapnel Accelerator Takedown

Find an enemy standing on a ledge or the edge of a building. Point towards the ledge they are on, press r1 to grapple there, then double tap :cross: to speed up. When you reach the ledge, you should automatically take down the enemy.

5. Stop a crime in progress

You'll randomly have crime in progresses pop up on your screen when free-roaming. They aren't really difficult. Complete any one for this step.

6. Use a Smoke Pellet to set up a takedown

Using :left:, switch to the smoke pellet. Throw it on any enemy, then go up to them and do a silent takedown when prompted.

7. Perform a 250m glide (including grapnel accelerator)

250m might sound bad, but with the grapnel accelerator this is nothing. Glide off a building, then every so often grapple to something, then double tap :cross:. You should reach 250m easily.

8. Reach the top of the Soder Cola building in Diamond District

The Soder Cola building can be easily identified by the sign at the roof. Note that some buildings have ads for Soder Cola, but these aren't the correct building. Reaching the top is no trouble at all. If this doesn't pop for you, you aren't on the correct building.

9. Perform a 150m glide (no grapnel accelerator)

This can be quite tricky, you'll need a very high spot for this, example: the Lacey Towers gargoyles. Then just jump off and hold a straight glide for as long as possible. If you didn't get it, find a higher place or one with more open space in front. Also, to gain height, repeatedly dive with :r2: and pull back up. This should enable you to reach the 150m.

10. Complete the 4 Intermediate AR Glide Drills

These are similar to the ones done on level 3, but a little more difficult and are dotted around Gotham. They still don't pose much trouble. Complete all 4 for this.

11. Knockdown 3 enemies with a single shockwave attack

A shockwave attack is when you dive into the ground, then press :circle: when prompted. Find a group of 3 or more bundled together, Crimes in Progress work fantastically. Then glide over them, hold down :r2:, them press :circle: when you hit the ground.

12. Perform a 50m dive.

Another high building or structure is required for this. I personally got to a high point on the bridge, glided over the ice on the water then dived from there and got it first time.

13. Complete the 2 advanced AR drills

The advanced AR drills get even harder than the previous drills, and took a couple of attempts each but not more, so it shouldn't take long.

14. Glide for 25m while maintaining a height less than 5m

This can be a bit annoying. For this, I dived down really low, and pulled back up just before I hit the ground. Then I just kept the glide, and I managed to get over 25m. This may take a few attempts however and you'll need a long street.

15. Stop a Crime in Progress in each district

This is self explanatory. Crime in Progresses spawn randomly. I got one in nearly every district while doing the collectables. However, after the game has finished, street crimes are no longer present on the bridge. Although, if you get a crime in progress near the border in another district, you can make the final enemy chase you into the bridge district, finish him there and it will count as being in the bridge district. Otherwise, this carries into NG+, and you'll get a Crime in Progress 'tutorial' on the bridge very early on so you can finish it there.

Credit to BatmanArkhamVideos

Edited by Viper
editorial sweep

hA28cZ4.png 

1. Perform an Inverted Takedown, Vent Takedown and Wall Takedown

In the first predator you do (in the jamming tower building), you'll be walked through some forms of take down, including these three, so this is unmissable.

2. 3 Silent Takedowns in a single encounter

Another easy one. You'll get this when getting Silent Knight. Just sneak behind 3 enemies separately when they don't know you are there and press :triangle: when prompted.

3. Finish a predator encounter unseen

This isn't too difficult. You should be trying to do this in all of the predators anyway. You can do this at the same time as the silent takedowns. When taking out enemies, isolate them first so you don't get spotted, and quickly escape.

4. Use a Sonic Batarang to lure an enemy into a takedown

Select the Sonic Batarang, then throw it near an enemy. The enemy will walk over to the batarang to inspect it. When he reaches it, fly behind him and take him down. Throwing it under a vantage point and doing an inverted takedown works too.

5. Complete a Predator Room without detective vision.

This can be a bit annoying as you need to find the enemies manually. You can however use detective vision, remember the starting positions of enemies then restart the checkpoint. It also doesn't matter if you get spotted, so you can possibly use that to group enemies together so you know their location as long as you don't get killed in the process. In short, keep away from the :l1: button.

6. Perform a Vent, Explosive Gel, Corner and Hanging Ledge takedown in one encounter

The best place to do this is the bank. You are there soon after getting out of the sewer and again for the Deadshot side quest. I did it in the latter but it doesn't matter. First, the vent takedown. From the start, I entered the vent in the left corridor, then looped round to the right corridor, where there was an enemy. In the commotion, I took the opportunity to place explosive gel on both sides of a breakable wall, and waited for an enemy to pass. The corner takedown was pretty easy, I just got into cover that an enemy was walking towards and popped out when he passed. For the hanging ledge takedown, I was standing on a divider between the main room and the right corridor, threw the sonic batarang right below the ledge, and when an enemy came I took him down when prompted. All I needed to do then was finish the encounter.

7. Complete a Predator without using takedowns

This one was annoying. You can't use takedowns at all, so you have to rely on beatdowns. You'll definitely need to isolate enemies for this, and speedily get to a vantage point after a KO. Using the disruptor and other gadgets also helps to keep you safe, and you can use the smoke pellet if you are getting shot at.

8. Complete a Predator without detective vision and remain unseen.

This is like 5., but this time you can't get spotted, so this is even more tricky. Again, activate detective vision, study the enemies then restart checkpoint to make this easier, and if you get spotted learn from your mistakes.

9. Perform a Grate, Inverted, Knockout Smash and Ledge Takedown in one encounter

This one actually isn't as bad as number 6 as this can be done pretty much in any predator. A good place is the hotel. (Thanks to Mullinvat) A grate takedown is inside any grate, and popping out to take out an enemy who's walking past or over. If you are struggling to get an enemy in position, use the sonic batarang. The Ledge takedown is just hanging on a ledge and pulling down an enemy off the ledge. Note, if the enemies know your location you can't hang. A knockout smash is doing a silent takedown, but finishing it quickly by hitting :square: in the middle of the takedown. And you've been required to do an inverted takedown before, just be on a vantage point with an enemy below you.

10. Complete a predator with at least a high threat level unseen.

This one can be a little annoying. High threat level predators usually have a couple of armoured enemies. Use takedowns, isolation and gadgets to your full advantage so you don't get spotted.

11. Take out an enemy with the sonic shock batarang

Select the sonic batarang, throw it at an enemy (this doesn't have to be in a predator) then hit :r1: to detonate it, which will KO the enemy.

12. Complete a predator with at least a high threat level utilising at least 5 different takedowns

This isn't too bad. You have done multiple different takedowns in the previous levels of the challenge. Do any 5, which should be doable on any encounter, and then finish the encounter. Example could be Silent Takedown, Ledge, Inverted, Grate and Corner takedowns.

13. Eliminate 3 enemies within the duration of one smoke pellet

Find a group of 3 or more unarmoured enemies. If you can't get one, taking out an enemy should get them to group up a bit. Throw your smoke pellet into the group, and do a silent takedown followed by knockout smash on each one. This can be a little temperamental, so restart if it doesn't pop.

14. Eliminate 3 enemies with one propane tank.

The best place for this IMO is the Gotham Royal Hotel. It is also possible in the GCPD, but I did it in the former. Right from the beginning, grapple to the other side of the room. You should find 3 enemies close together. Group them up with the remote claw, knock two onto the floor with the remote claw, then use the remote claw once more to attach the tank to the standing enemy. Hopefully, all 3 will be knocked out. If not, restart the encounter.

15. Pull 2 enemies over separate railings at the same time

I did this immediately after 14. After the commotion from the propane tank, the remaining enemies were patrolling the ledges. Using the trusty remote claw once more, attach one to one enemy, and the other to another standing on a different ledge. If you did it right, they should both topple off their respective ledges. If not, they should at least be closer to the edge so do it once more.

Credit to BatmanArkhamVideos

Edited by Viper

Congrats, sir! May I suggest to use these vids to your guide?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7if9u_8Hg]Batman: Arkham Origins - Gotham Protector Guide (Dark Knight System) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7APAAzwKH9A]Batman: Arkham Origins - Worst Nightmare Guide (Dark Knight System) - YouTube[/ame]

The guide looks fine, very detailed but I would suggest some areas where you can do some of the worst nightmare challenges as soon as possible. It is possible to do it in one play through but only if you do them in certain places.

For instance you can do the earliest you can do the 9th challenge, assuming you did challenge 6 in the bank and challenges 7 and 8 in various other places, is the 2nd predator room in the hotel. You can also do rank 10 there aswell.

You can also do challenge 7 at the entrance to the steel mill straight after the bank section

Edited by mullinavat

The guide looks fine, very detailed but I would suggest some areas where you can do some of the worst nightmare challenges as soon as possible. It is possible to do it in one play through but only if you do them in certain places.

For instance you can do the earliest you can do the 9th challenge, assuming you did challenge 6 in the bank and challenges 7 and 8 in various other places, is the 2nd predator room in the hotel. You can also do rank 10 there aswell.

You can also do challenge 7 at the entrance to the steel mill straight after the bank section

Thank God I have not experimented any glitch yet, just framerate issues at some fights and the fast travel videos (sound and video are not in sync). Maybe the only glitch I think I am experimenting so far is the "Stop 20 Crimes in Progress" trophy. I swear I have done more than 20 and the trophy does not pop up.

Just a quick question about "Shadow Vigilante" - Rank 15.

Do the 15 variations need to be part of the 50x combo or can they be done outside of this ? What I mean is - could I do the 50x combo and then just casually do the 15 variations at my leisure and not necessarily in the same combo (making sure I don't get hit of course) ?

If so - then that would make this a little easier.

Just a quick question about "Shadow Vigilante" - Rank 15.

Do the 15 variations need to be part of the 50x combo or can they be done outside of this ? What I mean is - could I do the 50x combo and then just casually do the 15 variations at my leisure and not necessarily in the same combo (making sure I don't get hit of course) ?

If so - then that would make this a little easier.

You can do the variations outside of the 50x combo but it has to be in the same fight and besides it really shouldn't make a difference since you have to not get hit so your combo will keep going up anyway

You can do the variations outside of the 50x combo but it has to be in the same fight and besides it really shouldn't make a difference since you have to not get hit so your combo will keep going up anyway

Say whaaattt!!! :eek: That's brilliant, I'm such an idiot, I've really got to read things more carefully... I need not say anymore, you know exactly what I have been trying to do! What a doofus! :doh:

Say whaaattt!!! :eek: That's brilliant, I'm such an idiot, I've really got to read things more carefully... I need not say anymore, you know exactly what I have been trying to do! What a doofus! :doh:

This is WHY I asked the question because that's the way it read to me but just wanted to be sure.

In my eyes - it makes it significantly easier because once you get the 50x combo. You can then go through each of the variations you haven't done without having to worry if they hit or miss i.e explosive gel or glue grenade...

Good stuff! I didn't even pay attention to the requirements until later in the game but still managed to get them all in one playthrough.

The toughest one is a completing a crime in progress in each district. Post your matchup with a certian someone, its easy to get a crime in Sheldon Park and then to drag the last guy over to far south east railing to have it count for the bridge. Not that fun, but doable. :)

Nice guide, helped me figure out what a hanging ledge take down was.

Also a few things I fond out, that using a sonic batarang shock can make the smoke master challenge.

That and right before the police predator room in your first time through you can use that propane tank on the corrupt cops beating up the homeless guys and it works well.

You ca also get the Double Fall in the predator room after, I got it twice, was annoying to d and took abit of time but if you can get it there and want it out of the way fast.

Edited by dante_kinkade

Challenge 15 for the 50x, etc. combo was the only one I had left and I had to do it on NG+. I found a good spot to do it early on and get it out of the way. When you go into the Sionis foundry before you battle Copperhead you will face about 10-12 guys including an enforcer. They will surround you during a cutscene and then I do a sliding attack on the guy just to the right of the enforcer, followed by a batarang and another hit. The enforcer will charge if you're far enough away. Dodge his charge and rip off his armor. Then just start beating him down. I've found that if you get on beating him down you'll finish him off before anyone attempts to hit you. You should be in the mid-30s by then. Then just alternate evading and striking, throwing a few variations here and there to get to 15. And I didn't even have the glue grenades or shock gloves yet! Just don't use the concussion grenade early on--it makes everyone a lot less predictable and they flail around a lot leading to ticky tack instances of you getting randomly hit by a blind guy (just ask Boba Fett about that one time on the sailbarge). It took me all night, but I am SO glad to be rid of that track! It should be more than a bronze!

Crime in progress doesn't seem to spawn on the bridge after you beat the game :/

It makes sense. Story-wise talking, don't you think?

If you can, do Gotham Protector until Rank 14 on your first playthrough. Then glide around every district until you have 8/9 in your progress for Rank 15. Start NG+ and use the very first Crime in Progress that appears in game (which is, ironically, on the bridge) After that, Gotham Protector Path will complete and the trophy will pop up.

I found the "drag the enemies to the bridge" method more time consuming and... kind of unlegit LOL...

Edited by mleiva