Asylum, prior to this

ElTequilla

So basically, is it neccesary to have played AA before this, you know to expirience the story and all that?

I already have a lot of released great games I look forward to play, but a lot of them, like this, has a predecessor. so if at any of these titles, it is possible to skip the previous without to much hassle, I would probably do that.

What's your thoughts?

I played Arkham City first and never struggled to pick up the story or anything like that. There's the odd reference, but nothing that directly links over as such (from what I know of) that requires Asylum to be played first. If you want to play City, go for it. If you've got the money, time and effort to buy and play through both games, go for it :)

It is definitely not necessary to play AA first, but I would highly recommend it. I thought AA was a great first entry into this "new" Gotham and having played it prior to AC, found that my understanding of this particular universe was improved. There are also a couple of references that will make more sense, but overall the games are standalone titles with only minor interplay except for the reason behind the main plot (it will still make sense either way, just a little extra background).