Combat Challenge Tips & Tricks

ReaperZer0

I know there is probably a lot of people out there having trouble getting the medals on the combat challenges. Having just gotten 3 medals on each of them, I think I'm as qualified as any to give advice. So I decided to whip up an impromptu guide for everyone.

The Basics

1.) You must learn to counter as much as you hit. Know when one of the enemies is attacking before the indicator shows up. They will often start running toward you just before they strike. If you see someone doing this, counter, or possibly hit away from the opponent. If they have a pipe, though you may still be within their reach. Just counter. Only go for another hit when you're absolutely sure no one is attacking.

2.) Use X to dodge or simply get out of the way of an enemy that you can't take care of at the moment. You keep your multiplier and get out of harms way. It's also one way to take down enemies carrying shock batons, simply dodge over them, and hit their back.

3.) Know your special moves. Assuming you have unlocked all upgrades, you have access to several combat moves. These are accessible after your multiplier is up to 5. There is a throw (Square + X), and a instant takedown (Triangle + Circle). The throw is unremarkable, except perhaps as crowd control. The takedown however is extremely useful. This move can take down any weapon carrying enemy instantly. Prioritize shock baton carriers first, and knife wielders second. However, don't just use it on them exclusively, using this adds quite a bit to your score, so use it whenever you have a chance. It can get you out of the way of someone attacking, takes down an opponent permanently, you're invincible while performing it, and you can readjust your camera (which I suggest you do to see how many enemies are left and if any are incoming). You will almost always have to counter after doing this takedown.

4.) Ground pounds (R2 + Triangle) are very lucrative when it comes to gaining points. It takes your current combo count and multiplies it by 100, which can lead to very quick points. However, one caveat, you are not invincible while performing it. Either make sure everyone is down, or far enough away they will not be able to interrupt it.

5.) In going with #4, make use of your Batarang to set up ground pounds. It is of great use when only several enemies remain, as you can use it (tap L1), to knock up to 3 down, then immediately go into a ground pound, and then likely another one. From there, you might be able to use another if anyone got back up and repeat the process. This can mean lots and lots of points if your combo was already going well before this.

The Enemies

Standard Henchmen: Nothing to worry about, these are the guys you most often want to build up your combos on, their attacks won't be able to reach you if you move very far away, and are otherwise unimportant. Standard, if you will. :p

Club/Pipe Henchmen: Standard henchmen can pick these up, or rip them off the wall. However, the only difference between these two is that their attacks seem to have a slightly smaller window for countering (at least to me), and their attacks have a farther reach. It is best to always counter their attacks and rarely, if ever, try to evade.

Knife Henchmen (and Zsasz): One of your priority targets, if you see the red indicator coming from them throw a stun (Circle button) attack their way. Then either hit them once, or go back to whoever you were working on. Try to get them down ASAP though as they can be very sneaky.

Shock Baton Henchmen: These should be your priority most of the time. You can evade over them and hit their back but sometimes this isn't particularly practical or easy. I suggest targeting them with your insta-takedown (Triangle + Circle) as quickly as you can. Even before knife wielders, because you can accidentally hit them when aiming for someone else and lose your combo.

Gun Henchmen: These guys will often stand in one place, just holding the gun for a while before they fire it. Do not let them stay there for long. You'll be able to tell when someone has grabbed a gun, as you'll hear the alarm. Combo your way towards the gun cabinet and take these guys down before anything else. They can break your combo from afar, and do major damage. If you take out someone with a gun, keep your eye on that area as anyone can pick one up and start using it, with no alarm.

Thrower Henchmen: Basically a standard henchman that has ripped something off the wall and intends to throw it at you. These objects they throw are difficult to evade, so you definitely want to try to work your combo toward them as soon as you can (they will stand there for a while), as these guys will break your combo, and hurt you and your score. Once they've been knocked down, the object disappears and will not be picked back up.

Titan Henchmen: You will only ever have 2 of these in 1 fight. Best tactics I can offer is when they appear to be about to run at you, to quick throw a Batarang (L1), and evade out of the way and over another henchmen. You can then try to combo them some while countering in between and then ride them, and try to hit as many other henchmen as you can to thin their numbers. At all other times it's recommended you stay away from them and simply evade when they run at you if you do not have the time to fire a Batarang. They should be taken out last in much the same way you would normally. After blinding them with a Batarang, just go up to them and combo away, you may be able to get a decent combo off them before they croak too.

The Levels

Note: This covers both the regular and Extreme versions, though in the regular versions, enemies use environmental weapons less, if at all.

Intensive Treatment: Be aware of the gun cabinet to your right. I have not seen any instances of enemies picking items off the level otherwise. Also try not to be near the electrified gates, as I have lost a couple combos by getting too close to them during a combo before.

Sewer Bat: There are gun cabinets to your left and right, as well as throwable objects to your left and right, and on the other side of the area on the left and right as well. Enemies will often go for the ones farthest away from where you start, and then the ones near where you start.

Shock and Awe: Gun cabinets are not nearby, so camping them is out of the question. If the alarm does go off, the henchmen carrying the gun will be on the right side of the door near the middle of the fence, after he hops back over.

Rumble In the Jungle: Gun cabinets to the left and right behind where you start, as well as several items on the walls to the left and right, and a couple more near the cabinets.

I guess I will just keep trying and try to aim for flawless combos and dark knight rounds. The priority tip is very useful. Thanks for posting this.

You should aim for those things, but especially in some of the Extreme modes, they are absolutely not required. My advice would be to try to have a good/great first round, and if you don't, restart. Also, if you just have a terrible round then scrap it and try again from the beginning.

Seriously, I stressed out about the bonuses in the beginning, but once you start getting everything down, they don't amount to much.

You should aim for those things, but especially in some of the Extreme modes, they are absolutely not required. My advice would be to try to have a good/great first round, and if you don't, restart. Also, if you just have a terrible round then scrap it and try again from the beginning.

Seriously, I stressed out about the bonuses in the beginning, but once you start getting everything down, they don't amount to much.

Thanks! I will keep this in mind as well.

Thanks for the tips. My main issue is to be too far from guys to kick and that stops my combo (I just knock with square for nothing...). Similar thing happens when all guys are KO on the ground... Any advice to improve that? Thanks in advance.

When you are too far away, throw a batarang and double tap X to get near your enemies. When they are on the ground use R2+Triangle from wherever you are to do an instant takedown and earn massive points.

Thanks for the tips. My main issue is to be too far from guys to kick and that stops my combo (I just knock with square for nothing...). Similar thing happens when all guys are KO on the ground... Any advice to improve that? Thanks in advance.

I never had that problem, Batman will literally leap across the entire stage to hit someone as long as you're pointing the left analog stick in the general direction of an enemy and hit square.

another tip would be to use your quick grapple (assuming its fully upgraded) to grab 3 people at once and in fact, if you jump over one of the ones you just pulled it will automaticaly put them on the ground setting you up for a ground takedown! Also, great guide thanks

Something to keep in mind in Shock and Awe when you hear the gun cabinet alarm going off is that if you shoot off the batclaw toward the cabinet you will automatically grab the goon trying to get into it and cause him to give up and come back to the melee. If you hear the alarm and have a quick second to do this on the early rounds it can help because if you let the goon return with a gun, even if you defeat him, the gun will remain where he droped it for other goons to pick up and it persists between rounds. In Shock and Awe (Extreme) the later rounds are hard enough without a gun thrown in the mix.

These tips are very useful, but i still cant get a medal in the first challenge room.

Not even one?

On the very first challenge, try the basic strategy to start - hit a guy (square), then double tap x to jump over him, then hit another guy, then double tap x.. and so on.

With practice, you should be able to do this continuously and finish each round with one combo, using only those 2 moves. If you are too far from a guy, just press towards him and double tap x to keep your combo going.

After you've mastered that, add triangle (counter) and circle (stun) into the mix. After that, you can work other moves in.

i dont know if this has been said but a lot of my strategy was as follows:

When the first attacker comes after me i counter him and then stun him, i then proceed to jump over the next attacker and punch and continue. When you have your combo use the circle and triangle combo(especially if there is a knifeman) to take one out of the game. Then proceed to jump and attack until your combo is built up again and square and x. I continued after this to build up my combo and take the guys out one by one by hitting circle and triangle until i came down to about three and threw the triple batarang knocking them all down. Ground pounded as many as i could and took out the last one.

So long as this is done properly - Huge points from the finishing moves and ground pounds. Probably 3000 points on the combo(throw in a grapple for the full 5000), 1000 for beating the round in one combo and 500 for dark knight.

Doing combos like this allowed me to easily breeze through all the challenges.

On another note, make sure to take out the guys that throw things at you before they can rip the items off the wall and taking out the gunmen as quickly as possible

This was my stategy to get 3 medals on all of them:

- my first priority was to hit the freeflow perfection combo, so make sure you have all the necessary upgrades and practice, practice, practice to get 5,000 bonus points

- my second priority was to get the flawless combo round bonus

- in rounds 1 & 2 try to get the dark night bonus because it's almost impossible to get it in rounds 3 or 4

- in smaller maps (18,000 points) you should aim to get around 4k-5k in round 1, 10k-11k in round 2 and the rest in round 3 and 4; also in these maps it is a good idea to go for the perfect knight bonus (5,000 points), which gets awarded if you don't get hit in any rounds, because there are not a lot of enemies

- in medium maps (30,000 points) you should aim for 8k-9k in round 1, 12k-15k and the rest in round 3 and 4

- in large maps (50,000 points) you should aim for 10k-12k in round 1, 20k-25k in round 2 and 8k-10k in round 3 and 4

- it is VERY important to get most points in rounds 1 & 2, so if you don't get enough points either start over or go into beast mode in later rounds

- while performing a special takedown or a counter look around and target your next enemy

- use the triple batclaw, batarangs and takedown X+square for crowd control

- make sure that if you get your combo over 20 or higher to clear the room with batarangs and batclaw to perform the ground finisher R2 + triangle to get a lot of points; in general if you are clearing the round in one perfect combo save the take down for the very last enemy to get the most points

- when there is one enemy left don't kill him using hits, instead batclaw him and then double X jump over him which will send him to the ground where you can perform the ground finisher R2 + triangle for more points

- always be aware of people who throw stuff at you because they will most certainly not miss and will break your combo

These challenges make me want to break my controller! More so than playing Killzone 2 on Elite...

Welcome to the club...I considered it, and the thought of "well I do have 3 others I can use that are charged" crossed my mind more often than not.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one having major issues with these damn Combat Challenges, I still haven't managed to get three bats on the first one yet. I practice and practice but don't seem to get any better, hopefully if I keep at it it will click into place at some point. :mad:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one having major issues with these damn Combat Challenges, I still haven't managed to get three bats on the first one yet. I practice and practice but don't seem to get any better, hopefully if I keep at it it will click into place at some point. :mad:

You're definitely not the only one, I am finding these extremely hard! It took me about an hour and a half just to get the first one 3-starred. I shudder to think of the later ones, but I really don't want this game left half-complete :(