Back story

I played Arkham City when it came out a few years ago and the combat challenged seemed so impossible i didn't even attempt them. I decided to play Arkham Asylum as Origins is just round the corner and the gameplay as a who in Arkham City was phenomenal. I was dreading these combat challenges and wasn't even going to attempt them but decided to do what trophies i could, once i got the trophies i wanted to get there was only a hand full left to get so i just went for it and tried my best and I've just got all 24 medals on the combat challenges for AA and it is a very proud moment. And this is how i did it

All Non Extreme Combat Challenges

Firstly i just went through all the normal combat challenges in order and i would recommend dong it in order because it gradually adds more enemies and the types of enemies and what they can do as you progress through the levels. For me this was actually the most time consuming because the combat challenges are different to combat in the story so i had to get use to the format and how to get big free flow combos.

'Intensive Treatment' and 'Sewer Bat' (Extreme)

Once i had completed all the normal combat challenges I went straight onto the extreme challenges and the first two where quite easy to do and i did it first time on each one leaving the last two levels

'Rumble In The Jungle' (Extreme)

Instead of moving to 'Shock and Awe' i decided to move straight onto rumble in the jungle only because i knew shock and awe was the hardest out of all of them to i wanted to leave it until last. rumble in the jungle i will admit i didn't earn it how your suppose to as i used the titan point glitch so i just tried to get the highest points possible in round 1 and 3. in rounds 2 and 4 i just dodged all the enemies and kept leading them into the path of the charging titans. By the end of the last round i was on 34000 (ish) and then just used the titan glitch to gain the remaining 16000. it was very time consuming yes but i rather do that then get stressed out by titans running into me during combos. I also did this to get 1200 points in normal mode on the same level.

"Shock and Awe' (Extreme)

Now with this one Im going to add a bit more detail as its the one most people struggle with. This didn't take me anywhere nearly as long as i was expecting and on my first try got timed out in round 3 with 28000 points. After a few tries i realised that the issue with this is level isn't getting the points its the time limit.

Round 1

This to me was the most important round out of all 4 because you can get up to 20,000 just in the first round. The easiest way to get the highest score in this round is try not to use instant takedowns at all only use it once and ill get to that in a bit, run through the first round several times trying to find a solid method of getting 10,000+. Once you have that down try max out your variation bonus at the same time because you get 5000 for getting X9 variation, if you can hammer there to a T try and do it in all levels on every round if suitable because it will make life easier.

Round 2

Same as round one but before you hit anyone run and jump over the barrier on the right because rounds 2,3,4 has a gun box on that platform so get up there and then try knock everyone out in one combo being carful to knock out anyone as soon as you hear the alarm go of. Also try push time to the limit i literally got it after the timer had ran out. try and get your score total somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 by the end of this round

Rounds 3 and 4

No this is where you might be finding it hard due to the short time limit. do the same as i suggested for round 2 and run and jump up to the right platform and go from there. In these rounds its important to make use of your instant takedowns by pressing (:circle:+:triangle:) when possible as no one can hit you in this time frame and time slows down so you can choose your next 3 opponents to hit before repeating, Prioritise Knife and electric wielding enemies. In these rounds i would worry to much about getting a high score as its near impossible not to get hit. On all but the first round i had the timer down to zero and ended up with a score of 39,735

General Tips

Dummy Runs

Even if your have already watched a video of the level before hand on youtube or somewhere just have a few runs through of any level you start just to get the idea of the area and enemies you will face. Then do the same round by round getting higher scores each time.

Prepare for Disappointment

By this i mean don't expect to complete a level with 3 medals straight away first try, it probably wont happen so when you going to start a level prepare your self for constant restarts. Doing this made it less stressful and annoying for me when i failed.

Freeflow Perfection

This is a trophy where you get all combat moves in one combo, try do this as much as possible and take your time when doing it if you are constantly doing it one move after another its not as easy, try fighting normally getting your high combo as you usually do and every now and then throw a battering or use your bat claw until you have used every move. (Don't start with anything other then a normal hit, most other moves wont count towards a combo.

Don't Button Mash

Take your time when deciding what button to press you would be surprised how long you have after a attack you have to start your next. Also when button mashing you make batman do moves you think you didn't make him do resulting in rage quitting and such things.

Space It Out

I did all the combat challenges over a few days as i am one of these people where ill try at something really hard for ages and give up to only come back later and get it first try due to me trying to concentrate to much. If you haven't done a level after 2 hours i would come off and try again later. It works best for me when i try something on a night before i go to bed and then try it again first thing in the morning as your brain revises what you did while you sleep and when you wake up your are in your most relaxed state. (This might not work for everyone but give it a try and see if it works)

Don't give Up

Patience is the key to these challenges so take your time and don't give it the feeling is amazing when you get it.

I hope this might help some people good luck :)

Congrats on the platinum. I know how you feel getting the combat challenges done. Even though I got my platinum not too long ago, the points you said are essential in getting the highest score.

I was struggling with the first challenge the first time I played it, and I realized that I shouldn't button mash like how I did during the campaign and that helped me time my moves better and keep the combo going higher. Spreading out each challenge helps because if you're having trouble with a challenge, it's better to stop for the day and get back to it when your mind is fresh. During the course of trying to complete each challenge, I must've lost count how many times I failed, and like you said, the important part is to not get discouraged and try again.

I personally found Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) to be the hardest, as it took a lot more tries than any other. Surprisingly, Shock and Awe (Extreme) was easier than the standard as it took less tries to perfect it than the original non-extreme challenge.

• 1 month later...

Biggest tip I can give is to understand the points.

I kept messing up on Sewer Bat (Extreme) because I didn't understand how points worked.

Once I learned that the ground and pound was 100 points, compared to a regular punch which is 20, it all clicked.

The key to getting huge scores in the earlier rounds is to use the ground takedown (R2 + trinagle) when you have a high combo multiplier.

If you have a multiplier of 30, your next takedown is going to give you 3000 points.

What I'm saying is... get your multiplier up as high as you can early, and then at the end when you have 3-4 enemies left, use a tool like the batclaw to drag enemies to the ground and use the ground takedown to rack up gigantic points.

It's the difference between 3000 points vs. 600 (a 20 point strike on a henchman vs a 100 point ground takedown... assuming a 30x multiplier)

Here is a chart I borrowed from GameFAQs (LINK: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/952338-batman-arkham-asylum/faqs/57661).

Credit goes to the author, who is abaddononion2

10 - Strike

10 - Counter

10 - Combo Batarang - Calculates damage based on pre-batarang combo

20 - Power Strike - Critical

25 - Throw

25 - Batclaw Strike - a punch that immediately follows a Batclaw.

25 - Ring Out - caused when an enemy is thrown over a ledge in applicable

areas

25 - Rodeo Strike - caused when riding a Titan, and it hits another enemy

50 - Takedown - This is the variety of takedown bonus given only by Instant

Takedown

100 - Ground Pound - Caused by a normal Ground Takedown

100 - Titan Takedown - Caused when killing a Titan through normal combo strikes

Use those takedowns, ground pounds and titan takedowns when you've racked up large combo multipliers and you will breeze through the levels.

Edited by osubuckeye420

Just got FreeFlow gold. I tried different approaches, and in the end what ended up working for me on every single map is applying the K.I.S.S principle - keep it simple stupid.

No fancy batclaw or batarang moves for me. I ended up simply using the punch move over and over, and relying on accomplishing huge chains. Whenever an option would pop up for a special takedown, I'd end up using it right away (triangle + circle). Some maps took a number of tries, but I haven't had to spend more than an hour per map. Sooner or later I'd get a run where I'd luck out and end up with a huge chain in one of the rounds.

This even worked for Shock And Awe (Extreme) challenge. I initially tried using the explosive trick in round 3 and 4, and couldn't even finish the map that way. Then I went back to K.I.S.S, and within half an hour got through the map without anything, but punches, and occasional ground pound if everyone was down.

Also - I never restarted the match if I did bad in an initial round. In fact quite a few maps I beat even if I did horrible in a few rounds, because I'd end up getting most of my points in a single round where things lined up just right.

I agree with the OP - you have a lot of time between punches. When you are applying a takedown, the camera slows down, so use that time to plan for your next two-three hits, until you can use the takedown again.

Don't bother with throws, batarangs, and all other crap - just get good at punching/dodging, and occasionally jumping over enemies if it gets too crowded.

Edited by Eternal21