Starting the game on HARD

GunBallad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started the game on HARD difficulty as the guide suggested in order to be able to stick to one playthrough, after the first fight in the game I would strongly suggest to NOT start the game on hard. It is very unforgiving and frustrating especially when just starting.

Yep I must agree with you, Normal or even Easy is defo the way to go :whistle:

Beside that, I remember my second playthrough on Hard was pretty fast and doable once you know the trick...

Edited by leptonic

After just beating this game a couple days ago, I recommend you just enjoy the story on normal and strive to acquire 100% perfection on that gold dark knight trophy. Reason being is that the combat challenges are on a normal "like" difficulty and will help train you for the hard play through especially on those moments that can overwhelm you. I also recommend while on normal get the boss procedures locked on how to survive and when to strike. Where your goal isn't to combo on, but to knock some fools off a ledge as soon as they come up because you don't have time to play with them; so that kind of tactician planning keeps you alive and ready for the real threats.

Once you are ready for the hard play through, you should be capable of the basics and making full use of your gadgets when they come available to level the field against much greater odds.

[spoilers!!!]

Example.

The combat challenges taught me to plan the use of explosives to handle overwhelming loads of enemies when you don't have time to deal with them. Shock and Awe extreme and using the map to your advantage to survive rounds 3 and 4 got me past Poison Ivy boss fight, knocking off single thugs when they come up the ledge and laying explosives on emergency when their numbers are too big and there isn't enough time between Ivy's vine attacks to handle them. Dodging over goons second and running past them first because of the distance to time to avoid the vine attacks.

Rumble in the Jungle taught me the use of kicking ass with a Titan-to-Titan pwning.

Sewer Bat Extreme taught me basic hand-to-hand + take down and variations coming natural.

• 2 weeks later...

The combat in this saga is quite tricky, unless you are in a rush, just play in easy or normal for the first time and enjoy without going into enrage lol.

The challenges will tell you when you are good downing enemies as its after all a requirement to get the platinum.

Right now I'm having no difficulties playing hard, but I platinumed Arkham City and their brawling system, some variations aside, are basically the same.

Wow, I started the game on Hard and breezed through it except for one or two tricky parts. Never underestimate the importance of double tapping :cross: and directing this jump towards an enemy. This move is invaluable - trust me. The animation prevents you from getting hit, sends you to a slightly different location (few feet away in whichever direction) and generally is going to get you through your hard playthrough. Once you figure out what works and what doesn't work - this game on hard poses no problems as far as I remember.

Wow, I started the game on Hard and breezed through it except for one or two tricky parts. Never underestimate the importance of double tapping :cross: and directing this jump towards an enemy. This move is invaluable - trust me. The animation prevents you from getting hit, sends you to a slightly different location (few feet away in whichever direction) and generally is going to get you through your hard playthrough. Once you figure out what works and what doesn't work - this game on hard poses no problems as far as I remember.

Yeah, that is your best bet if you're not good at judging the counters. Takes a bit longer, but still works just as good.

I personally started the game on normal so that I could enjoy the story and get a good feel for the gameplay. I love Batman so I knew I was probably going to play through the game a second time. By the time I got around to my hard playthrough I was kicking ass and taking names!

• 1 month later...
I started the game on HARD difficulty as the guide suggested in order to be able to stick to one playthrough, after the first fight in the game I would strongly suggest to NOT start the game on hard. It is very unforgiving and frustrating especially when just starting.

Yeah, but the guy who wrote the trophy guide has, oh, over five hundred Plats... lol. This is a primary reason why I wish trophy guide writers wouldn't say "oh just start your first playthrough on Hard. Hard isn't hard at all..." yada, yada. Yeah, it *saves time* IF you can breeze through in one playthrough, but dying a million times and having to walk away from the game for a day or two doesn't save all that much time, does it? ;)

For the Batman games, I'd say don't start on Hard difficulty your first time through UNTIL you get the hang of jumping over enemies with the :cross::cross: then attack move. Once you get the hang of that, you'll probably breeze through Hard mode except for...

[spoiler=ID]

... some of the Titan fights, the one-hit kill sections (Scarecrow moves faster, for example) and maybe the boss fight with Ivy.

Edited by Old_Snoova

I started on Normal, got aaaaall the way up to the final Joker fight, and just could not get the fight to go my way. Got so frustrated that I restarted a file on Easy. ^^; Oooh, I eventually went back to pop those normal and hard trophies, but that was after playing Arkham City. Something with the combat system just clicked with me better, I guess.

I'm in the same boat as many have already stated. I consider myself to be a decent gamer and i'm finding the beginning to be quite challenging on Hard. The combat system is quite unforgiving and you can't really put together any lengthy attacks. I find myself having to counter after every 1-2 hits when there's more than 2 enemies; it requires much patience and makes the fights take forever. Hell, it took me 20 tries to get through the opening fight with 6 guys LOL.

I'm sure i'll get acclimated as I progress but, so far, it's really slow going. I'm not really a big fan of playing through games more than once if I don't have to so I'll tough it out on Hard.

Edited by bmj14772
Typos

I never play the first time through on any game on the hardest difficulty. I like to take one play through just to familiarize myself with the controls and enjoy the game. This is definitely one of those games I was glad I did, just to get used to the rithymn needed for combat.

• 1 month later...

First play threw on hard for me, and just finished the game. Wow let me tell you, very very frustrating in deed, but I made it threw. Few of the boss fights are the most frustrating. But it is manageable because I was able to complete it so it is possible.

Ugh I would of started on Easy or Normal but i'm a trophy hunter and I need to get as many as I can if not all. haha

I started this game on hard and I was stuck for about 30 minutes on the opening combat sequence. But after toughing through that and being forced to quickly learn the mechanics, I didn't have too much trouble playing through the game. I only got stuck once or twice and I still probably would have gotten stuck at those parts even if I had already played through the game on normal. The pressure control junction is really the hardest checkpoint in the game. The Poison Ivy boss fight was really pretty easy as was the Titan Joker boss fight. The two titans before the final boss was the other tough part but as I said I wasn't stuck on either for long. Playing through the game twice still takes a lot of extra time so I don't think the guide was wrong to suggest that people start on hard from the beginning. Most guides are written with the purpose of showing you how to get the platinum as fast as possible.

I did my first play through on hard as well, and even though there were some annoying parts, I'm glad I did. It made the challenges so much easier and I was able to beat them rather quickly.

Here's the thing. I think you will struggle with the game at some point no matter what you do. If you don't start on hard, you'll struggle more with the challenges, if you start on hard you're probably struggling more with that than with the following challenges.

All I had to learn after my hard play through was how to efficiently rack up points instead of just beating them up.

• 3 weeks later...

Im going to start a new play file on normal reading so much of this, i too always play games on hard the first time but when i found out how much im missing on normal difficulty ...

im not planning to platinum any games anymore so i dont mind missing a trophy or two.

Just want to have fun, and being hit in the back of your head while mashing triangle in a panic isnt fun. I rather have that confirmation so atleast i feel like im being rewarded for timing it right, atm i have no idea when i need to time it cause honestly i have been timing it right in most fights but it still feels lame when it fails.

• 4 weeks later...

i took a hefty break from this game, and when i came back, started the game on hard, it's a lot easier then i remember it being. it's just about being a lot more precise with the button mashing. which is totally oxymoronic, but it's kind of how i describe it to people.