For those that think the platinum will never happen.

effdeegee

A little back story:

I bought the game used a couple of months ago and, within an hour of playing it, I was madly in love with the graphics, the story and the gameplay.

Not to toot my own horn but, like with everything else in my life, I tend to get the hang of things very quickly and immediately embark on the journey to perfection.

Shortly after starting, I thought that this game would be no different. I was kicking ass all over the place, solving all of the riddles, finding all of the collectibles and scooping up all of the trophies. I thought I was quite the badass. I got the 40x combo trophy at the same time as the "Party Pooper" trophy. I got the "Mano-a-Mano" trophy a the same time as the two Titan trophy.

I finished the story and then started the challenges.

The Predator challenges were neat. I had minor problems with one or two but, to paraphrase the experience, I basically watched a few YouTube videos and blew through them all in one sitting.

Then, I started the combat challenges.......

3 medals here, 3 medals there, shock and awww son of a mother rickin' frackin'.......

I had hit a bit of a roadblock with 1. The size of my combos/scores and 2. My patience. I kept trying and couldn't get 3 medals. I looked further down the list and saw "Extreme" and "50,000" and, like many, said, "Ah man. This is never gonna happen!"

I watched a bazillion YouTube videos and read every forum post trying to get information and inspiration.

After finding said inspiration, I've decided to perform a little, "real time" experiment.

I'm going to attempt to put my head down/nose to the grind and publicly keep track of my progress so as to leave a little relic for future players that may be thinking that it'll never happen for them and are contimplating quitting.

Will I fail and leave a lasting reminder that, "Damn! This is too hard!" or, will I triumph and be able to tell others, "Yes!!! Never give up!"?

The only trophy I need is the (S) Freeflow Gold and that will, in turn, unlock the (G) Perfect Knight and the (P) Platinum Trophy, all in one shot.

For the record, I have 3 combat challenges left to play; the last 3:

Sewer Bat (Extreme) - 10K/30K/50K

My original score - 29,410

My current score - 52,245 (Update #1)

Shock and Awe (Extreme) - 10K/20K/30K

My original score - 27,645

My current score - 39,605 (Update #2)

Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) - 30K/40K/50K

My original score - 30,685

My current score - 50,075 (Update #3)

Edited by effdeegee
Spelling correction.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to turn on the game and fart around with Sewer Bat (Extreme) for a few minutes before I had to visit family for dinner.

I played for about 20 minutes (5:20pm-5:40pm).

After a couple of quick "hit, hit, counter, got hit", it was looking like there wasn't going to be any progress and my patience was being tested early.

Meh. Third time's the charm, right?

To put it lightly, yep.

I bust out 18K in the first round!!!

For those reading this update, I have a couple of tips that will ease your pain and save you future stress.

- First, like with any other game, the more you play, the better you'll get. It's a proven fact and it's nothing new to most so, just keep playing over and over and over.

- Don't button mash. If you try to slow down your fingers on purpose, eventually you'll find an odd, slow rhythm. It may feel weird at first but, trust when I say that you'll "lock on" to the rhythm and the combo counter will climb.

- You'll be surprised at how quick you can toss a Batarang during a combo and not lose your rhythm.

- Take it one round at a time.

- VERY IMPORTANT! Don't aim for perfection!!! You only get 1,000 pts for doing the entire round in one combo and you only get 500 points for going the entire round without being hit. If you get hit ONLY ONCE, it will cancel BOTH of these. There is a very good chance that you will get hit so, make peace with the idea early on. It will save you tonnes of stress and make you more comfortable during your fighting. Plus, none of that will even come close to being a matter to think about when you.......

- Learn to use all of your moves in a single combo. Yeehaaw!!! When you "lock on" to the rhythm of fighting well, this will come soon thereafter. You'll find that you're getting bored just hitting, countering, evading and using instant takedowns and you'll start to throw in a cape stun, just for fun. You'll start doing more Batarangs, just to test your own timing and because it's super neat. Batclaws for crowd control and ground pound setups and throws because it's an animation you never see and you wanna freshen things up. Whatever the reasons may be, you'll eventually start adding more moves, the combos with get bigger and you'll start having some REAL fun. Not to mention, you'll get 5,000 points each round!!! Those points will be the difference.

So, yeah. Played for 20 minutes and completely cleared 1 of the last 3 challenges off of my plate. 6 more medals and I'll have the (P). :)

Edited by effdeegee
Spelling correction.

Well my flatmate years ago had platinum'd the game, and recently as I was playing gave me some tips which after a bit of time and practise began to really pay-off. I can honestly say this is what helped me break those 50,000 barriers and what-not, effectively winning the platinum.

Variety bonus, using all moves in one combo (I usually started with double-tap R2, followed by some punches and then a necessary counter) will get you a bonus of 5,000. Not easy, I know. But it will come with time, and if you get that bonus, an unbroken combo streak and finish-up with some Ground-and-Pounds then you can easily get 20,000+ in the first round of Rumble in the Jungle Extreme and about 10,000+ in Shock and Awe Extreme.

The combo of batarang, double-tap x (evade/leap-over) and Ground Takedown is extremely useful for points in later combos. Near the end of my lengthy combos I noticed that I could batarang down the few left, followed by a ground takedown for a huge boost in points.

Too often though there was an enemy I didn't see who simply punched me over during the attack. So, following my batarang attacks to stun enemies (try aim at those carrying large cinderblocks etc to save the risk of getting hit) I got into the habit of double-tapping x to effectively 'scout' the enemy and my surroundings without losing my combo streak. It bought me precious half-seconds of thinking time to deal with my opponents and safely see whether I could effectively ground-takedown. Having 3-4 guys on the ground with none standing is highly satisfying. B)

So, to wrap it all together: ABUSE the double-x jump but never twice in a row or else you'll lose your combo streak. During the end of the stages go for a batarang to knock-down the remaining enemies, scout for enemies behind you, deal with them (if any) then finish with the ground-takedown for x100.

Edited by Ozymandias

First off, let me just congratulate Ozymandias on getting your Arkham Asylum platinum and thank you for your input in this thread. Those trophies look pretty friggin' sweet on your trophy card! I can imagine they must have felt awesome to get.

Now, on to an epic update!

So, I had just gotten back from my Aunt's dinner and decided to immediately make some coffee and hit the PS button. It was time for another go.

I had Shock and Awe (Extreme) and Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) left to go and wanted to strike while the iron was still uh.......mildly warm? It had been 5+ hours but, I knew I still had the skills and the desire so, here we go.

I thought about which one I would do first. I heard SnA was the one that I would essentially have the most trouble with so, I thought, "Maybe I'll do RitJ first and then grind SnA for the platinum." but, unfortunately, my OCD wouldn't let me skip over one and do them out of order. "Oh well. Hard one first, I guess."

I soon saw all of the reasons behind so many personal disclaimers.

Rounds 3 and 4: "Holy crap! Does everyone have to have knives and stun batons?!?"

I grinded and punched and kicked and cursed and.......28 minutes after starting; what was this? I already had over 30K heading into the 4th round? "All I have to do is survive? Pfft. That wasn't so hard."

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

I'm getting raped. I mean, seriously gang banged in every hole in my body, for every second of the fight. Somehow, I manage to chain critical strikes for the entire group and now, I've got one guy, face to the floor, one second left, 36,000 points, R2+Triangle and...BBBUUUZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I collapsed with a mentally retarded laugh and thought, "This is a sick joke and I'm starting to like it."

Now, over 1 hour into this battle (11:40pm-12:50am) and I STILL DON'T EVEN HAVE A SCORE REGISTERED!!! Literally. I hadn't beaten it once and, out of the dozens of times playing it, only topped 30K on 2 or 3 occasions. I beat it once, moments later but, 27K won't do it.

This sucks but, I know I'm gonna do it. I have to. I'm having too much fun to be denied and I know that, if I keep playing, it will come.

I take a 5 minute break, have a coffee and a smoke (don't smoke, kids) and come back to the controller.

5 or 6 attempts later, I bust out 25K in the first two rounds and just straight up kick the crap out of the other jerks in rounds 3 and 4!!! No combos. Just punched them all in the face and sail to a Shock and Awe (Extreme) win.

So, here are a couple of tips for those in need:

1. You are being timed. Did I mention that you're being timed? Oh. Okay. Well, don't forget that you're being timed. Seriously, you don't have time to bounce around like a fool, evading everything, countering everything; you need to kick ass and kick ass NOW! Forget the giant combos, forget the "all moves" bonus, the freeflow bonus, the dark knight bonus. GET TO WORK!

2. If one guy goes for the gun, pfft, let him. He'll be back and you can punch him in the face (then) when he gets here. Don't waste time running after him. Sometimes you can chuck a Batarang at him and he'll get knocked out before he gets over the railing but, if he makes it all the way over and goes for the box, no biggie.

3. During the later rounds, the amount of knives and stun sticks multiply greatly so, you've got two choices; be fast with your normal attacks or, instant takedown every one of them. The only problem with the latter is, you need an additional x5 on your combo for each one so.......

4. Chain your critical strikes!!! Instead of trying to bounce around and use every attack, wasting time with Batclaws and counters, chain them critical strikes!!! If you EVER find an opportunity where the thugs are even remotely spaced out, BANG, over there, BANG, back here, BANG, over there, BANG, back here. They will disappear FAST, you won't have to worry about how much time is left and you can toy around with the last 2 or 3 if you want.

You're combo will skyrocket and the ability to do an instant takedown will show up twice as fast because the combo goes up by x2 for every one hit. You want points? Screw 5K for all moves. Screw 1K for freeflow and screw 500 for no hits. How does a 40 hit combo sound? What if you threw in back to back ground pounds at 4,000 a piece? For 4 rounds? Think about it. That's 8 single punches that get you 32,000 points by themselves (not counting the "other" punches and a random bonus here and there).

Well, I can't believe I'm here but, only Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) left. It's not timed and I already know I can score 50K.

Excuse me but, I'LL HAVE THAT (S), (G) AND (P) NOW!!! YEEHAAW!!!

Wait. Didn't I say something about chickens and math or, something? ;)

Edited by effdeegee
Spelling correction.

Uh, yeah. Hey. How's it goin'? Just chillin' here at ps3trophies.org and posting some thoughts on the forum and oh, I almost forgot,

YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!

You better believe it, baby!!! Who. Da. Man.

After close to 2 hours, a million curse words and a few thoughts of quitting, WHO. DA. MAN.

Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) is no joke. I would have bet the farm that somehow the computer knew it was the last thing I needed for the platinum and turned the AI difficulty level to "beyond psycho on methamphetamines".

They wouldn't get away from me! They were all jacked up and ready to end my life. Like, The Joker had said, "$10,000,000 goes to the one that kills him."

They all attacked, all the time and they all had weapons. AND THIS WAS JUST THE FIRST ROUND!

I almost decided to give it another day but, I knew what was about to happen and said to myself, "No! You're staying awake until you get them all back!"

I think I was on auto pilot or, so sleep deprived that, I didn't care about anything. I would get destroyed in the first round over and over and didn't give a crap. "I need 50K and I can't finish the first round with more than 5K? What the hell?"

There were many times when I would get 15-20K in the first round but, couldn't hold a combo for the life of me in the later rounds.

One of these times, I gotta get lucky and put together a full match, right?

Lucky isn't the word.

I bust out of the gate with 22K. Then, less...and less...and less. "C'mon! Don't do this to me!"

I'm in the last round, only needing like 5-7K or something. I'm trying my hardest to stretch out the last few guys, while avoiding the Titans, by abusing every bazillionth of a millisecond that I can. Batclaws, cape stuns and evading for days!

Eventually, they're all dead and I'm left with one flatlined Titan, no combo and 48,000 points. "How the hell am I gonna get 2K from this situation?" So, whatever, it's just another close call and another try. I walk over to the steroid infested goon and spam the crap out of the square button. I get 9 hits and a 10 x 100 Titan smash combo. I quickly look to my score.......49,075.

"PLEASE! GIVE ME 1K FOR MY COMBO BONUS!"

The results screen tallies the totals and "Combo x 6 - 1,000 pts" hits the screen.

:eek:

I spring from the couch and stand there like an Olympic gymnast that just landed the most epic, gold medal winning dismount. Not making a sound, almost busting at the seams, I waited.

BLING (S)

BLING (G)

BLING (P)

I gotta' say, it's quite the feeling.

You can have that feeling too but, there are a few things you'll need to remember:

1. There are LOTS of enemies and, although it's a huge arena, they'll all seem to want to stand right next to you the entire time and whisper sweet knife cuts in your ear. It's not entirely impossible to get some distance, chain critical strikes and take a breath but, for the most part, they'll be on you like Fat Albert on a bucket of chicken.

2. Combined with being cramped, they'll be extra hostile. There won't be much chance to get 2, 3 or (dreaming) 4 hits in a row. As mentioned before, slow your fingers and prepare for 1 hit, counter, 1 hit, counter, counter, stun, 1 hit, counter and a gagillion evades. Seriously. They're playing as team in this one and they all wanna score that cup clinching goal at the same time.

3. Everyone has a weapon. Knives, stun sticks, pipes, boxes to throw and there are gun lockers. They all have incredible reach (it seems moreso than usual) so, whenever you see a counter, DO IT. No matter how far away they are. Point to them and DO IT.

4. The Titan(s) can be handled in your own way. Learn to avoid them while keeping your combo and leave them until last or, learn to include them in your combo while still hitting/countering others and do a little rodeo dance. Trying to include them while countering others is more fun and feels great when you can successfully beat up people, beat up the Titan, counter multiple people, jump on the Titan, rodeo, jump off and then continue your combo on the thugs. It's quite a badass feeling.

So, there you have it, folks. I went from giving up on the idea of getting the platinum, to really putting my head down and practicing over and over, just to show you that, yes, it is totally possible.

And trust me when I tell you this; those are three of the nicest trophies you will ever see (and the (P) 100% next to Batman: Arkham Asylum ain't too shabby lookin' either). ;) :)

Edited by effdeegee
Language.

I was still trying to break that during the combat challenges..

Also, lol @ your scrape-in on the 50,000 there effdeegee. I sure gave it my fair share of cursewords, too. Anyways, I was able to use the Titans in my favor. I'd stun them, lay a few hits with the occasional triangle to whoever attacked me until eventually I'd mount the Titan and start laying-waste to the guys with a huge combo boost while also pummelling the other Titan with my own. As soon as I was thrown-off I'd quickly mount the other and let it continue. The boosts from its strikes made the points no less of an issue. :D

Edited by Ozymandias

In the last day I started these and a few of the predator challenges and after a few hours without much heartache I only have 2 combat challenges and 4 predator challenges to go! Although thats basically one because for Rumble in the Jungle extreme I got within 1000 of the score quite easily, i just effed up the last round. Heres hoping Shock and Awe Extreme wont be too bad. I havent attempted it yet but I just have this gut feeling that it is gonna kill me :(. My friend got this plat ages ago and said it wasnt too hard so now ive got to get it so he doesnt boast to me lol.

EDIT: Woh, just got a good run on Rumble in the Jungle extreme and got 24000 on the first round and at the end of the 2nd round, I had over 50,000 which was the requirement and at the end I got 71,810! totally wooped that challenge :) Just Shock and Awe to go.

EDIT 2: Oh and just finished Shock and Awe Extreme 5 minutes later on my first attempt :) Although I did use the strategy with the explosives. I did awefully though and twice I KO'd the last guy just as the electricity turned on. Now just 4 Predators for plat.

Edited by LukeyCow

• 2 weeks later...
Im so afraid to start the combat/challenge trophies lol

Just go for it. I was the same. I was dreading them. But i've just plat'ed then and my god seeing 2 trophies then my Plat was completely worth the soul sucking, mind fucking pain that is the combat challenges. As effdeegee said, don't give up. And i'd like to thank effdeegee, i read his little progress guide and i must say it is very inspirational. It actually made me turn on my ps3 and do my last 2 challenges, shock and awe (extreme) and rumble in the jungle (extreme). Shock and awe nearly had me in tears but i told myself its possible. Just keep at it, remember the most important factor in the combat challenges DO NOT BUTTON MASH, at all, not one bit, learnt to control your presses. Top tip for Rumble In The Jungle (Extreme), punch, evade, punch evade, repeat until your combo score is orange, :triangle: and :circle:, punch evade, rinse and repeat. Thats how i did it. It works!

i just got the plat :dance:

just keep trying, it´s totally worth it :applause:

Same after a bunch of tries on shock and awe extreme. At first i was really bad at the combat challenges, then i started to practice mainly on regular rumble in the jungle because there were a lot of enemies and not so much of those annoying knife and taser(or light) guys and worked on getting good combos. One thing is you wanna try to get the 5000 Variation bonus, if you can achieve that in 2 of the 4 it shouldn't be hard to get the score, I was easily getting over 30000 before round 4, but always failed because of time. With the score in hand I just use the combo takedown whenever i got it and made sure to get the harder enemies. Anyway I'm just relieved I finally got the plat and good luck to those going for it, frustrating but rewarding.

I never used the variation bonuses, just work on a high combo and when theres like five enemies left, quick roll away the. Use the bat claw and quick roll over them. They will fall over and then ground pound as many as possible. You get X100 for a ground pound so if youve got a 35 combo you get 3500 every time you ground pound. Easily the best way to rack up point.

This thread does make me feel better about the painfully demoralizing trek to get to platinum. I have everything I need except for 8 combat medals. If I play for a good 3 hours or so in one go, I can usually manage to get 1 or 2 more, but man.. it gets frustrating haha. Congratulations to everyone who has received their plats! I hope to join you shortly :)

This thread does make me feel better about the painfully demoralizing trek to get to platinum. I have everything I need except for 8 combat medals. If I play for a good 3 hours or so in one go, I can usually manage to get 1 or 2 more, but man.. it gets frustrating haha. Congratulations to everyone who has received their plats! I hope to join you shortly :)

Yeah just keep trying, I was getting one medal for all the extremes, then i learned how to do combos and work on the timing which i think is really important, really shock and awe and the sewer on extreme were the only annoying ones because of the guys with weapons. Rumble in the Jungle was pretty fun hoping on the big guys and netting some big combos.

• 3 weeks later...

CRITICAL STRIKES are indeed key. Btw, they're the ones that you start hitting with after a bit of momentum (usually after x4 combo?) and you're flying around, insta-knocking thugs to the ground. Didn't know how they worked when I first heard of them.

MULTIPLYING YOUR COMBO is infinitely more important than variation. I tried so hard pulling a combo with all of the moves in one, but after stopping and getting my platinum without much variation at all... yeah.

GROUND-POUNDING nets you the highest score, and especially near the end, it's easy to keep your combo going by using the Bat-claw, then evading over them to make them fall. If they get up before you get them all, just rinse and repeat.

Those are the three biggest things I concentrated on, and once I did, I went from "This trophy is impossible" to "I might just do this tonight, nah, I'm SURE I will!".