I actually like pokemon games. Is this worth checking out?

TIDQ

ok. the battle feild is like yu-gi-oh. you can only have 3 monster's, 3 feild card's, 3 power up card's in your deck. the point of it is to take control of 3 feild card's to end the match. that can be done 1 of 3 way's. fight another monster on the card and win, land two of your own monster's on the same card, have all your monster's out and perfom a stay, if he stay's with out being toughed for 1 round the card's your's. they have a few diff feild's that offer bonus on them for if you hit them but with challange to get to each.

when you cast your monster you have to throw him "sixaxis controled" and direct him and you have to make it to one of the card's for any of the item's gained on the feild to count.

all and all i would say it's a fair game at best. pretty much yu-gi-oh game play with digimon/pokemon style grafix.

I don't even understand Yu-Gi-Oh or other card games. The mechanics and rules confuse me greatly. I'm probably going to give this one a pass, but thanks for the summary, nostros.

Bakugan has no strategy compared to bigger card games like Yu-Gi-Oh! Its really easy to understand, rent it and see for yourself

Your Bakugan is a certain element and so is your opponents Bakugan , both holding their own attack power, every card has power boosts for each Bakugan type, your basically trying to force your opponent into your own card so you can own face on his Bakugan and then deciding how you want to counter against whatever gate card they placed with the 3 ability cards you have

I know this paragraph wont really help, but as someone whos played MANY CARD GAMES, this is by far the easiest to understand since you only use 6 cards in your deck

• 2 months later...
I've never heard of Bakugan, but if it plays like the Pokemon games I'm getting it. I don't care if I battle with Pokemon, cards or clowns, if the game plays well, that's enough in my book!

Amen to that. I hadn't even heard of this game until someone traded it in to the store where I work the other day. After reading about it here, I think I might just pick it up.

Edited by VirtualboyRapper
typo

• 3 weeks later...

This game really isn't anything like Pokemon imo. For one in Pokemon you are walking around trying to find pokemons and when you find a good or rare one you catch it.

In Bakugan you don't walk. EVER. You select where you want to go from a menu (if you chose Park, you look at a fountain image, and never actually walk around the park, you just select what battle you'd like to do from another menu).

You buy the Bakugan from a store, so while you're still collecting them you aren't out acually looking for them like you would be in Pokemon. Pokemon's tagline is "gotta catch em all" Bakugan is more "gotta wait till their available to buy from the store and buy em all."

I don't think Bakugan is a bad game, it is ok. But if you're looking for something similiar to a Pokemon game, this isn't even close to the formula that makes Pokemon so addicting or fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've heard Bakugan, at least the tv show and franchise in general, compared to pokemon. If anyone gets a chance to play the game, I'd like to know if pokemon fans would enjoy it.

I just picked it up today and I love it! The game is fun and addicting, and I've already earned 18 trophies with only about 3 hours (give or take) of game time! Get it! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well I made this topic like a year ago, but I did eventually pick up Bakugan recently. It's only like 8 bucks on Amazon, so why not?

Anyway, it is indeed nothing like either Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh. It's basically Marble Madness with cards and power-ups and things added. I had no idea what I was in for.

The concept of the game isn't... bad. It was a good timesink. I played it. I platinumed it. I feel good about myself for having mastered a game that seemed like a foreign language at first. The biggest issue I had with the game was the controls. The controls kind of stink and feel like they were ported over from the Wii. There is so much motion control, and the responsiveness is something I fought with a lot.

But I don't regret getting it.

• 1 month later...

I think this game has to go into the rent it category for me. I actually enjoyed the Yu-Gi-Oh games on the PS2 and found myself replaying them for a few reasons. There was a good deal of strategy in how you designed your deck based on the cards you had managed to collect, as well as how they interacted with each other and your opponent and personal playing style, not to mention the board you were playing on. All of that, along with the sheer variety and number of cards to collect and discover lent itself to pretty good replayability. That being said, there's very little of that in Bakugan, though it can be fun for a bit.

There appears to be a good number of creatures to play at first, until you look and realize that aside from one or two unique ones for each attribute (earth, air, fire, water, light and dark) all of the creatures are the same with a different color scheme. Stats are identical for each one, so unless the field you're playing on effects them a Pyrus falconeer will have no advantage or disadvantage against a subterran falconeer.

Each of the battles basically comes down to a short mini-game, which is again fun and unique at first, but becomes tedious after a while. There were only so many times I could go into a battle with a creature several times stronger than my opponent and still have to sit there and shake the controller before it got old.

The ability to explore the battlefield and pick up bonus items, again, is fun and something different at first, but eventually in the desire to just get the game over with and complete all of the objectives I started skipping that entirely and was proven right in my assumption that if you're able to shake the controller fast enough you don't even really need to buff any creatures and can just dominate the computer through that.

All in all it wasn't a truly horrendous game, and it can be fun for a bit, but hearing the same expressions after every win and with each move on the game menus got old within a couple days and had me asking myself if I was done yet and how much longer I had to go. The motion sensor controls don't really help, nor does the low difficulty, and I did enjoy it enough off the bat to be glad I rented it, but the last couple hours all I could think of was how many more of the same battle I had to repeat to get the platinum so I could drop it in the mail and send it back for a new game.