Would You Recommend This Game?

I Seem To Have Gone On A J-RPG Craze And I'd Love To Play Another Solid RPG Besides Final Fantasy. I Was Looking At Hyperdimension: Neptunia, But When I Saw The Adorable Atelier Series I Just Had To Get One! This Is My First Time Playing An Atelier, Mind You.

I Watched A Few Gameplay Videos Of Atelier Rorona Firstly, And That Pretty Much Confirmed It For Me That I Needed To Play It! But Then I Watched A Few Gameplay Videos Of Atelier Totori And Found It Looked Slightly More Interesting (In My Opinion). I Plan On Buying One Or The Other Off Amazon.co.uk (Because Of Their Surprising High Price, I Decided To Get Only One For The Time Being). Honestly, I'm More Interested In Atelier Totori. I Just Have A Few Quick Questions About This, Mainly Aimed At Those Who Have Played Both:

1) Which Would You Recommend First, Atelier Rorona Or Atelier Totori?

2) If I Played Atelier Totori First, Would It Reveal Too Many Plot Spoilers Of Atelier Rorona? Would It Be Better To Play Atelier Rorona First?

3) I've Heard Many Complaints Online And In Reviews Of Both Games Having Small Replayability Once The Endings Are Achieved Or The Platinum's Unlocked. Usually, For Me, In These Situations, The Story Itself Is The Replayability. Is This The Case With Atelier Rorona/Totori?

4) Is The Battle System As Addictive As The Likes Of Final Fantasy, Or So? Battle Systems Are The Cores Of Most RPGs. Is The Battle System Good In Atelier Rorona/Totori?

Thank You In Advance To Anyone Who Answers :)

To answer your questions:

Question 1/2: Since Atelier Totori is a direct sequel to Atelier Rorona, I do say play Rorona 1st so you can understand Rorona's character better and her story since she is in Totori's story as well. But you can jump to Totori if you really have to. Totori's story more focuses on well Totori. Rorona's story focuses on Rorona(and only her). Meruru's story focuses on Meruru, but again Meruru will have both Totori and Rorona in it as well [spoiler=1]even if Rorona is turned into a child who is even younger than what she was at during her story.

You also don't have to play any of the other many Atelier games to understand this saga of the series.

3. It just depends on your point of view. Like with any game, some people will bitch about things about the game, and some will give it nothing but praise. Replayability also varies from person to person as well.

4. I never been much of a Final Fantasy person even though I have tried out a few of the games in series and even watched the Anime TV series and that Anime movie of FFVII, but you have mostly seen what the gameplay is like in Rorona and Totori already. You synthesize items, and some synthesis can also be used for battle as well as attacking with your weapon, and can use skills in battle too.

I have not finished Atelier Rorona yet and understand almost everything of Atelier Totori. And I definitely recommend both, especially Atelier Totori, since I like the story way more. So yes, I recommend Atelier Totori and you can enjoy it before Atelier Rorona because you don't spoiler too much of Atelier Rorona and also you will not have really a problem with understanding it, especially because the story itself has not really anything to do with Atelier Rorona. The characters, but not the main story.

As Final Fantasy Freak I tell you, that the Atelier series cannot be compared to Final Fantasy for me - also not in terms of the battle system - but the battle system is very similiar to that of Final Fantasy X. But that does not make them bad. They are definitely very good and I think Atelier Totori is fantastic. I also have no problem with starting them again so don't care what reviews say and try it out if you want to. Of course the sidequests are nothing new or the scenes once you have seen all of them or almost all of them but that's the same with every RPG. And the core of an RPG is the story. And both Final Fantasy and the Atelier series have great stories as I think.

I can show you pictures of Atelier Totori or tell you more about it if you want. Same for Atelier Rorona - but I like Atelier Totori way more like I have already mentioned and like you can see easily by reading my post.

Edited by Cetra

I never been much of a Final Fantasy person even though I have tried out a few of the games in series and even watched the Anime TV series and that Anime movie of FFVII.

Wow... You watched the anime series? ._. Did you watch ALL of it? I think I managed to stand about 2 episodes before I wanted to die. And I've been a big Final Fantasy fan for a long, long time. But, that doesn't mean I'm so blind I won't admit that it sucked major ass. Film (Spirits Within) was utter shit too... And Advent Children was... Well, I thought it was mediocre. Good fight scenes but the story was kinda meh. I digress.

As Shuffle said, it would make more sense to play Rorona before Totori due to them being direct sequels, and you'll understand characters better. Not just Rorona, but others from that game that also appear in Totori. But, you don't have to. It won't really be spoilt if you play Totori first.

It's not often I replay a game after I've seen all endings, or gotten the plat as that normally means I've done everything in it. Though if I compare this to say FF XIII, it has shitloads more replay value. Story is considerably better, as are the characters and pretty much everything else about the game. (I am not a FF XIII hater, I do like the game, but both Atelier games I have played so far are considerably better than it and a few other FF games). That said, I won't replay either Rorona or Totori (Once I plat Totori anyway). Will just make my backlog get bigger if I do that...

As for the battles, well it's essentially your standard turn based battle. So if you like that kind of thing, then you will have no issues here. Odd thing about Rorona is you don't have MP for skills, they use HP (Even healing ones...) which can make it difficult sometimes. You have to think if the cost to your own HP will be worth killing the enemy sooner or not.

As for if I would recommend the game or not. Yes, yes I would. Rorona was my first game in the Atelier series so I can't exactly say what the ones before are like, but I am enjoying the current Atelier saga. I do prefer Totori so far, but Rorona is still a great game.

Wow... You watched the anime series? ._. Did you watch ALL of it? I think I managed to stand about 2 episodes before I wanted to die. And I've been a big Final Fantasy fan for a long, long time. But, that doesn't mean I'm so blind I won't admit that it sucked major ass. Film (Spirits Within) was utter shit too... And Advent Children was... Well, I thought it was mediocre. Good fight scenes but the story was kinda meh. I digress.

As Shuffle said, it would make more sense to play Rorona before Totori due to them being direct sequels, and you'll understand characters better. Not just Rorona, but others from that game that also appear in Totori. But, you don't have to. It won't really be spoilt if you play Totori first.

It's not often I replay a game after I've seen all endings, or gotten the plat as that normally means I've done everything in it. Though if I compare this to say FF XIII, it has shitloads more replay value. Story is considerably better, as are the characters and pretty much everything else about the game. (I am not a FF XIII hater, I do like the game, but both Atelier games I have played so far are considerably better than it and a few other FF games). That said, I won't replay either Rorona or Totori (Once I plat Totori anyway). Will just make my backlog get bigger if I do that...

As for the battles, well it's essentially your standard turn based battle. So if you like that kind of thing, then you will have no issues here. Odd thing about Rorona is you don't have MP for skills, they use HP (Even healing ones...) which can make it difficult sometimes. You have to think if the cost to your own HP will be worth killing the enemy sooner or not.

As for if I would recommend the game or not. Yes, yes I would. Rorona was my first game in the Atelier series so I can't exactly say what the ones before are like, but I am enjoying the current Atelier saga. I do prefer Totori so far, but Rorona is still a great game.

Yeah I got the Final Fantasy Anime series in a complete collection boxset, so I watched the whole thing. It kind of felt similar to like those Chocobo Final Fantasy games in a way but just not focusing on the Chocobo since it was more about these kids finding their parents while coming across a guy who resembles Vincent in a way who and a girl who resembles Tifa. Spirits Within to me was just confusing as hell.

Thank You For The Helpful Answers, Shuffle, Cetra And Tsunami :)

I Think I've Decided To Go With Atelier Totori For Two Reasons:

1) I Think It Looks More Interesting And I Find The Story More Compelling, But Don't Worry! Atelier Rorona Is Definitely On My List Of Must-Buys :]

2) Atelier Rorona Is Extremely Pricey On Amazon (Almost £50 On Amazon.co.uk, The Only Place I Can Buy One Of The Ateliers Without Having To Go Overseas :p), While Atelier Totori Is Only £20.

Once Again, Thank You For Your Immense Co-Operation In Helping Me Decide. And I Can't Wait To Use Your Atelier Totori Trophy Guide When I Decide To Get The Platinum, Cetra :D

Thank you. Kefka says "Muahahahahahahahaha!"

Hahaha Good Joke :dance:

-EDIT-

Because Of My Recent Birthday, A Friend Gave Me A £20 Gift Voucher For Amazon.co.uk. Since I Really Wanted To Get Both Atelier Rorona/Totori,I Resolved That I'd Pay For Totori (Which Is Roughly £20) With The Voucher And Pay For Rorona With My Own Pocket Cash. This Makes Things Turn Out Much Better. :D

Edited by Fubzy

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I am too late to chime in, but I wanted to recommend to play Rorona before Totori. I noticed the battle/crafting system is simpler in Rorona, and might seem mundane after playing Totori.

Also, there are no DLC or Online components to Rorona, so you may save a lot of money by importing it. I know some Gamestops around me still have the Limited Version (with hardcover artbook) still in stock for $30 (About 19 GBP). If you know anyone in the states that is.

Not sure if I am too late to chime in, but I wanted to recommend to play Rorona before Totori. I noticed the battle/crafting system is simpler in Rorona, and might seem mundane after playing Totori.

Also, there are no DLC or Online components to Rorona, so you may save a lot of money by importing it. I know some Gamestops around me still have the Limited Version (with hardcover artbook) still in stock for $30 (About 19 GBP). If you know anyone in the states that is.

Haha, Your Grand, I Luckily Found Both At A Relatively Cheap Price On Amazon.co.uk, So I Got Both Atelier Rorona And Atelier Totori. So Far Loving Rorona, I'm Glad I Got The Game! :D

I realize you have already got both. Which is excatly what I did myself. But just wanted to say I started with Totori and it turned out to be one of my favorite games from 2011. It was the first Atelier game for me too. Rorona is still in my backlog but will pick it up before Atelier Meruru in May.

Just wanted to say, yeah you can start with Totori. :)

As for the battle system, it's pretty basic but fun enough. Fighting isn't the main focus of this game anyways.

I realize you have already got both. Which is excatly what I did myself. But just wanted to say I started with Totori and it turned out to be one of my favorite games from 2011. It was the first Atelier game for me too. Rorona is still in my backlog but will pick it up before Atelier Meruru in May.

Just wanted to say, yeah you can start with Totori. :)

As for the battle system, it's pretty basic but fun enough. Fighting isn't the main focus of this game anyways.

True, Alchemy Is The Main Stay For The Game.

Well, In This Case Then, I'm Saving Best For Last! But If Atelier Totori Is Better Than Atelier Rorona Like Everyone Says, Totori Must Be Godly. Rorona Is Such An Addictive Game!

True, Alchemy Is The Main Stay For The Game.

Well, In This Case Then, I'm Saving Best For Last! But If Atelier Totori Is Better Than Atelier Rorona Like Everyone Says, Totori Must Be Godly. Rorona Is Such An Addictive Game!

The best thing about Atelier Totori is what a good RPG has: The story including the True Ending. The story is pretty simple, but epic.

Edited by Cetra

Yeah Totori is very good. Looking forward to play Rorona more too and Meruru looks to be the best one of them all yet (but we'll see about that).

Yeah Totori is very good. Looking forward to play Rorona more too and Meruru looks to be the best one of them all yet (but we'll see about that).

I hardly think Atelier Meruru can be better for me than the story of Atelier Totori. But I doubt that Atelier Meruru itself is bad for me. Just not as good as Atelier Totori.

The best thing about Atelier Totori is what a good RPG has: The story including the True Ending. The story is pretty simple, but epic.

I Was About To Ask What Was The True Ending, But That'd Spoil The Whole Game :o

Indeed It Is A Simple Story. A Girl Ventures To Find Her Mother! I Have A Question Though; Is There Time Limitations Like In Atelier Rorona? I Mean, What Could Be Limited By Time In Atelier Totori?

Atelier Meruru Looks Pretty Good! Keeping An Extra Bit Of Cash Out Of The Way Every Week And Saving Up For Atelier Meruru's Release :D

I Was About To Ask What Was The True Ending, But That'd Spoil The Whole Game :o

Indeed It Is A Simple Story. A Girl Ventures To Find Her Mother! I Have A Question Though; Is There Time Limitations Like In Atelier Rorona? I Mean, What Could Be Limited By Time In Atelier Totori?

Atelier Meruru Looks Pretty Good! Keeping An Extra Bit Of Cash Out Of The Way Every Week And Saving Up For Atelier Meruru's Release :D

Without spoiling anything, the story is a little more than that. There are time limitations in Totori, but you don't feel rushed. The point in Rorona was that she had to do a million things in her little timeframe she was given because of the whole trying to keep her Atelier workshop open. Totori doesn't have problems like that.

Just so you know so you don't regret it later, there is going to be a limited edition of Meruru released only in NISA's Online Store and won't likely get a 2nd pressing. Plus NISA doesn't charge until it's ready to ship out.

Without spoiling anything, the story is a little more than that. There are time limitations in Totori, but you don't feel rushed. The point in Rorona was that she had to do a million things in her little timeframe she was given because of the whole trying to keep her Atelier workshop open. Totori doesn't have problems like that.

Just so you know so you don't regret it later, there is going to be a limited edition of Meruru released only in NISA's Online Store and won't likely get a 2nd pressing. Plus NISA doesn't charge until it's ready to ship out.

I See. Does Every Atelier Have Time Limitations? (Apologies, This Is My First Time Playing An Atelier...)

Oh Mai Gosh, That Boxset Is Gorgeous! And Such A Good Price, Considering The Standard Edition Is $50 And The Limited Edition Is Only $15 Dearer. (Only Problem Being It'll Cost A Fortune To Ship From America To Ireland...:eek:)

Thank You Shuffle, I'd Love To Get My Hands On That Beauty, And I'll Keep An Eye Out On It :D

I See. Does Every Atelier Have Time Limitations? (Apologies, This Is My First Time Playing An Atelier...)

Oh Mai Gosh, That Boxset Is Gorgeous! And Such A Good Price, Considering The Standard Edition Is $50 And The Limited Edition Is Only $15 Dearer. (Only Problem Being It'll Cost A Fortune To Ship From America To Ireland...:eek:)

Thank You Shuffle, I'd Love To Get My Hands On That Beauty, And I'll Keep An Eye Out On It :D

Hard to say since so many Atelier games were not localized, but previous Atelier games before Rorona, I don't remember there being any time constriants, and if there were, it wasn't anything like how it is in the Arland series. But then again, Atelier Annie and Rorona were the 1st traditional Atelier games to get localized since Mana Khemia and Atelier Iris series are not traditional Atelier.

Hard to say since so many Atelier games were not localized, but previous Atelier games before Rorona, I don't remember there being any time constriants, and if there were, it wasn't anything like how it is in the Arland series. But then again, Atelier Annie and Rorona were the 1st traditional Atelier games to get localized since Mana Khemia and Atelier Iris series are not traditional Atelier.

Really?

And Speaking Of Atelier Iris, Is That Really The Best Atelier? I Heard Many People Saying It Was.

Really?

And Speaking Of Atelier Iris, Is That Really The Best Atelier? I Heard Many People Saying It Was.

I think when people say that Atelier Iris is the best, those are usually more of people who prefer that Atelier Iris has more action to it unlike traditional Atelier games.

Atelier Iris is still fun to play, but don't expect it to be like these Arland games.

I think when people say that Atelier Iris is the best, those are usually more of people who prefer that Atelier Iris has more action to it unlike traditional Atelier games.

Atelier Iris is still fun to play, but don't expect it to be like these Arland games.

Ah, I See. I Was Thinking Of Ordering A Few Of The Older Ateliers From PS2 Off Amazon.co.uk In A Couple Of Months, But Their Prices Are Worse Than Atelier Rorona's :facepalm:

Currently On Assignment 10, Failing To Get Anything In Night's Domain :think:

Ah, I See. I Was Thinking Of Ordering A Few Of The Older Ateliers From PS2 Off Amazon.co.uk In A Couple Of Months, But Their Prices Are Worse Than Atelier Rorona's :facepalm:

Currently On Assignment 10, Failing To Get Anything In Night's Domain :think:

What about Atelier Annie for Nintendo DS if you have a DS that is.

And I know how you feel about Assignment 10 as well as other people especially when all of the other assignments were pretty easy before that.

Edited by Shuffle

What about Atelier Annie for Nintendo DS if you have a DS that is.

And I know how you feel about Assignment 10 as well as other people especially when all of the other assignments were pretty easy before that.

It's Quite A Difficulty Steep!

Indeed I Have A DS. Is Atelier Annie Based In The Arland World?

• 4 weeks later...

I would NOT recommend this game! Any game that penalizes you for such a poor interface. Friend Points are suppose to be so damn important but seems no way to check them. I pretty much just lost Peter because it was impossible for me to fulfill his Fishing Festival quest because Rorona would not join. Nothing made it obvious that you have to work on friend points so much or pretty lost whole pieces of the games and events. So basically if you want to play the game better cheat from the beginning and read every damn walkthrough there is before wasting hours and hours into nothing!

This game has made me hate it with a damn passion after this failed quest event with Peter. All because of a poorly designed UI that doesn't show you friend points or make any references how to get friend points. Up to that point the game was all about synthesizing and gaining more knowledge by doing quests and sytnthesizing than all of a sudden switches focus like this and your screwed because Rorona doesn't like me because I saw no need for her through the whole damn game.