Thoughts?

So, like so many others, I was eagerly awaiting this game, and I finally got it yesterday and dug in.

And, like so many other games in the series, this game starts incredibly slow. Man, it bored me to tears for nearly an hour. Also, I'm not a fan of the 3-D graphics. I actually liked the 2-D graphics for battle in the old games - there was a certain feeling of satisfaction when you pulled off a huge burst combo. Maybe I'll be happier with the graphics later.

I do like the colorful nature of the game. I'm not sure how I feel about the limits on the number of ingredients you can carry, or the fact that your character loses HP while synthing stuff. I guess it plays into the time limit, but we'll see how it plays in the end.

So all in all, the jury's still out.

I suspected the first PS3 version of an Atelier game would be along the lines of easier to play. Just like the PS2 Ateliers, i suspect Gust will listen to the fans and we will see a ridiculously super hard boss battle near/at the end.

I kinda like the switch to 3d. Sadly i've only had the time to put an hour or so into it so far.

Well, hopefully this will sell well enough that we will see Totori localized. I hear it's already a step or two up from Rorona.

I suspected the first PS3 version of an Atelier game would be along the lines of easier to play. Just like the PS2 Ateliers, i suspect Gust will listen to the fans and we will see a ridiculously super hard boss battle near/at the end.

I kinda like the switch to 3d. Sadly i've only had the time to put an hour or so into it so far.

Well, hopefully this will sell well enough that we will see Totori localized. I hear it's already a step or two up from Rorona.

Well, there are trophies for defeating things like dragons and whatnot. I haven't looked at the guide (I never do for an RPG), but maybe this will be a tough boss.

After playing a bit more, I like this game. It's pretty low pressure, but there's enough going with synthesis to keep me entertained. I don't know how many playthroughs I can take, though. As far as the overall series (or at least those I have played), this game ranks well behind Mana Khemia and Atelier Iris 2, slightly ahead of the original Atelier Iris, and far ahead of Atelier Iris 3 (which I hated). I'm not sad about the purchase, but I would have liked a little bit more from this one.

Well, there are trophies for defeating things like dragons and whatnot. I haven't looked at the guide (I never do for an RPG), but maybe this will be a tough boss.

After playing a bit more, I like this game. It's pretty low pressure, but there's enough going with synthesis to keep me entertained. I don't know how many playthroughs I can take, though. As far as the overall series (or at least those I have played), this game ranks well behind Mana Khemia and Atelier Iris 2, slightly ahead of the original Atelier Iris, and far ahead of Atelier Iris 3 (which I hated). I'm not sad about the purchase, but I would have liked a little bit more from this one.

Plus don't forget Atelier Annie which we also got here in America.

Atelier Rorona is a traditional game within the Atelier series. It was Iris that broke that mold. So expecting this to be action packed with some great overbearing "Save the world!" plot, you're playing the wrong game.

And my thoughts on the game? I like it. I'm enjoying the story ( Which is very lighthearted. I like that I don't have to destroy some great evil, and the only thing I have to save is my Workshop ) , the cookie cutter Anime cliched characters ( Especially Cordelia. She wears the biggest Tsundere sticker I've seen in a while. They even included the token "Hmph". I can't help but like her, though ) , the music ( I liked Atelier Iris music far more than this... But this soundtrack suits the game ), the visuals aren't impressive but they have an appeal ( Totori looks way better, and the battle system... Justin.tv - Siliconera Live Playtests - Atelier Rorona - Sterk's Limit Breaker Attack. ... Yeah so tell your friends to buy this one so we can play that one ), and the battle system is decent.

I'm going to play to play through the entire game once then give my full assessment of the game. At this point I'd only reccomend a rent to casual JRPG fans, and a buy for the hardcore ( You know who you are, getting to the highest level, getting the max number of every item, you know doing generally superfluous things ). Everyone else can avoid the game, as you'll probably get bored or frustrated. However, buy it anyways so we can get Totori!

Atelier Rorona is a traditional game within the Atelier series. It was Iris that broke that mold. So expecting this to be action packed with some great overbearing "Save the world!" plot, you're playing the wrong game.

Wait a minute...back the truck up.

The games which we have seen on the PS system are precisely the ones that "broke the mold". Thus, telling an American he's playing "the wrong game" when those were the only games he's even seen is wrongheaded, to say the least. What was I supposed to do - learn Japanese and play imports? :rolleyes:

I have no problem with Rorona being a "traditional game within the Atelier series". But it's absurd to say that I shouldn't use the only past experience I have with the series to grade this game.

Words

You've misunderstood my point. I was simply stating that the game isn't like the prior series ( I.E. the Iris series, which was far more streamlined than the prior series in terms of story and combat, and granted it is the first Atelier series we've gotten Stateside ) . If that is what you've come to expect from the series, then odds are you won't like Rorona. However, I suppose inferring that would have been difficult as all I said was, "You're playing the wrong game"...

Do requests with high rewards if you can handle them. That's pretty much the best way to do it (especially near the end of the game), though you do get small amounts from enemies (there's an accessory that boosts this a bit too).

You could also sell useless crap instead of discarding it (if you have the Secret Bag this makes thing even more easier, as you can access your Container from anywhere by using it, and it's infinite use :D).

Later in the game, you'll be able to register items (certain types though, like Sundries and Bombs and such) in the shop, and they're usually cheaper than the ones you can buy (or they can cost a lot, depends on quality and traits, I guess), then buy them and turn them in for requests while still netting a bit of a profit.

I clearly did something right as I just finished my first run with 450,000.

You've misunderstood my point. I was simply stating that the game isn't like the prior series ( I.E. the Iris series, which was far more streamlined than the prior series in terms of story and combat, and granted it is the first Atelier series we've gotten Stateside ) . If that is what you've come to expect from the series, then odds are you won't like Rorona. However, I suppose inferring that would have been difficult as all I said was, "You're playing the wrong game"...

LOL. Yeah, I realized that I might have overreacted when I posted it. I like the "words" quote - I've have to steal that one.

To be fair though, I do like this game. It has a certain undeniable charm. It annoys me at times (a lot, in fact), and I think a lot more could have been done, but it always calls me back, which is more than I can say for Final Fantasy XIII, e.g.

LOL. Yeah, I realized that I might have overreacted when I posted it. I like the "words" quote - I've have to steal that one.

Final Fantasy XIII

Its alright, I should have articulated myself better.

Actually, I wanted to use Final Fantasy as an example of how expectations of a series set by prior games can lead to disappointment.

Edit/Update?: I don't like Astrid, at all.

Edited by Gazadriel
Disdain?

This game can be finished in a single day. Last Saturday I started from the beginning, from one of my clear game saves, at 5:30am and was done by 7:30pm.

I actually like this about the game. Generally, I want my RPG experience to be long, but this game expects to play through it multiple times, so I'm happy that it's not overly long (Star Ocean, I'm looking in your direction!).

Also, I like the way it breaks up into 90 day periods. It makes for a nice play session.

I still think this game has problems (lousy score, lame battle mechanics, weak storyline that's too cutesy), but even with all these problems, I will assuredly buy Totori if it graces our shores.

English version had change some item to cann't wholesell, Freeze Probability less than JP version but All Bug in JP version had still in English version.

09/10/2010 I got plat trophies by 2nd play.

First Play : All Ending except pie & Rich

Second Play : Pie & Rich