weapons and armor synthing

hi there, i just bought a ps3 recently and picked up all the atelier series n-n! i decided to start with meruru. it's little bit worrying how fast time ticks down v.v; haha but apart from that i'm doing okay at it. I do have a question though for you atelier vets about weapon synthing. I don't really understand how you get better weapons v.v i feel really dumb but everytime i go to the weapon shop he has the same things.

how do you craft weapons? i'm struggling in a lot of battles without items at the moment so I really need to learn how to make better equipment. sorry for such a newbie question. i'd look for guides but i don't know if meruru's system is the same as totori ;-;

You need to get stronger so Hagel offers you different weapons because you need to make the Ingots he needs which are also only made successfully when your Alchemy Level is high enough - of course there is still a chance that you succeed when your Alchemy Level is not that high but it is not that the raising your Alchemy Level is so difficult. And when you want to get all trophies you need to reach Alchemy Level 50 anyway. And of course for collecting high level materials it is recommended to have a high Adventurer Level so you can handle the enemies.

Meruru's system is not exactly the same as Totori's.

I for example made very strong weapons for Mimi and Sterk and two Gibate Ankhs for them which increase all of their stats by 16 and reduce fire and lightning damage by 20% - this is very good when it comes to fighting some of the strongest enemies like the Pterosaur.

Edited by Cetra

Ohhh I see. My characters are all lv 24 (and alchemy level 20) right now and they still have basic equipment offered to them v.v so i was trying to work out what I did wrong. I went and made some different kind on ingots on your advice and lots of equipment appeared in the shop xD. when you make ingots do the traits in them carry onto your equipment? does the quality of the ingots effect the equipment?

Ohhh I see. My characters are all lv 24 (and alchemy level 20) right now and they still have basic equipment offered to them v.v so i was trying to work out what I did wrong. I went and made some different kind on ingots on your advice and lots of equipment appeared in the shop xD. when you make ingots do the traits in them carry onto your equipment? does the quality of the ingots effect the equipment?

Yes, you need to be stronger. Otherwise you - probably - will not be able to make good items. Of course you can collect some materials without high Adventurer Level. But there are high level items very strong enemies give you. And of course "getting stronger" is also meant in terms of Alchemy here. This is one of the most important aspects and like mentioned a high Alchemy Level is important. I hope the conclusion I wrote before was not too confusing. But you have found out, so it seems to be alright. I have edited the last post however to make it easier to understand.

And yes, I would especially care about the effects. Later you can get effects like "Dragon Repel", "Skill + xx%", et cetera. And those can be part of your weapon as long as they were part of the Ingot. Weapons also can have traits but if you ask me the effects are way more important. The quality is important as well but generally you can synth weapon with all abilities you need and/or want even if the quality is just average. I don't need abilities with very high costs like 50 - the costs are "decided" by the items you use and how good they are.

Edited by Cetra

that makes perfect sense tyyy very much n_n! this game is suprisingly complex xD. i was expecting once i defeated the bigger "boss" enemies they'd give weapon drops. the only one that dropped so far was this spear for Mimi from ghost box. spammed it to death with some ice bombs.

That's a pretty substantial level. I've yet to get to Meruru - I'm trying to finish a different game, first - but in Totori, (though Totori was a little different from Rorona) you bought better Ingot Recipes (Ingot, Tinc, Dry Metal, Ster Metal, etc) from Hagel's store - though he'd give you a book with the first couple for free - and better ingot type items would make better weapons. (And the same for Cloth and Armour) I think it's still the same, so if the best ingot in your alchemy menu doesn't make the best weapon, well, that's where you need to look. But it seems you've worked most of that out.

The quality of Ingots increases weapon effectiveness only at the highest level - a 100+ Quality Ingot should grant a 100 Quality weapon, with some bonus stats for being of such incredible quality. Traits carry over... but only some traits. Weapons can have Attack+ traits, and armour can have Defence+ traits, but the inverse is not true. Weapons can also have offensive traits like Convert Damage (absorb HP), or element/status adding traits, and Armour can have defensive traits like element/status resistance.

Accessories are much more flexible. They can have offensive traits and defensive traits, and are the only ones that can have All Stats+ traits, and often have special, unique, abilities - Gilbate Ankhs have EXP+, for example.

It's best to make Ingots/Cloth in large numbers at once - it lets you add more ingredients, which gives you a greater variety of Traits to add. On the negative side, you need to use higher "Level" ingredients, which give you a greater Cost Level to spend on your desired Traits, as the best ones can be quite expensive, and really add up after a while.

That's pretty much exactly what I said. Just a little bit longer and with an explanation of Atelier Totori.

Gilbate Ankhs have EXP+, for example.

No, they don't. Only in Atelier Totori. This is most likely because the facilities help you do raise your level faster. The Gibate Ankhs in Atelier Meruru are way better. They can make you almost invincible as long as you make them with the right effects and traits.

EDIT: The effect thing I said was a mistake. The traits are the better things in my opinion. "Dragon Repel", "Skill +xx%" et cetera are traits.

Edited by Cetra