Mortal gauge + last boss help, anyone?

ADrunkHomelesGuy

I'm just looking for some tips or something I'm missing here. All god of war games on max difficultly - got it. castlevania as well - check. uncharted on crushing - bagged it too. but with this, I'm having trouble. Getting in close is obviously suicide, and keeping your distance is cool until he does the dive attack or laser beam. sometimes his attacks take away around 75% health, and that's on easy with this mortal gauge. Any help would be appreciated.

Alrighty, I think I got. Beat one episode 18 and now I'm doing the other one. Most of this fight is luck, in my opinion. IF he does two certain attacks and you counter them correctly, it builds up the burst meter faster and you can land a special attack on him if you get close to him in time. However, if he ignores Yasha and focuses solely on you, and spams those ground flames and that dive attack, it's pretty well over. So thank you anyways for any potential tips. Tips might help, but luck plays a big role in this fight. This mortal gauge sucks >-<!!!

Nothing luck based about this one at all, it follows the gaming adage of learning his patterns and reacting accordingly. Mortal gauge punishes mistakes but it's easy once you learn his patterns.

Use the ranged attack to build your burst bar and use it as soon as you can. It makes you practically invincible and if you do enough damage do Vlitra Core, you can knock him down for a heavy attack.

Also recall that the roll makes you invincible.

On his range attacks, you can see them coming a mile off as he'll jump to the other side of the screen. Roll early for the lava wall (you can roll through it), which gives you more time to react to the laser spin. He'll always resort to a QTE counterable attack after this, which alternates between two buttons. These attacks do the MOST damage, so if you mess one of these up, it does complicate things a lot.

When he charges, watch him closely as he'll do one of two things. He'll either go for an AOE claw slash, which is pretty much an insta kill, or he'll collapse. Learning this helped me, as you can knock him down and get a free heavy attack (Triangle) out of it.

Hope that helps

• 9 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I was struggling too with the last boss on mortal gauge and a few tips from backpackerd00d helped me, so I thought I could integrate with what I learned to help those in trouble like me (this is the first time I try to write something like this, so bear with me)

First of all let's see Vlitra's attacks (names are made by me)

1 - Flying Wedge attack

Vlitra will roar twice opening his arms and his hands will flash with red.

After this he will transform in a kind of wedge and fly towards his target.

This is actually the very first attack he will always do at the beginning of the fight (targeting Asura)

Simply roll away as soon as he closes his arms together (if you roll too soon he will change the flight path and hit you)

2 - Claw slap

When either Asura or Yasha are close to him, Vlitra will literally rip the air with his claws.

Roll away as soon as he rise one arm, stay away and let Yasha get the damage.

Beware because he often does TWO of them, but after the second one he will collapse to the ground and you are free to build your burst bar with ranged attack

3 - Ground explosion

Vlitra will rise both his arms and then he will hit the ground.

Circular ground explosions will radiate from Vlitra outwards.

Do not run away because those are going to close in on you leaving with no escape route.

Instead run towards the explosions and roll through them.

If your roll takes you close to him, roll away and fire your ranged attack to build burst until he charges another attack

4 - Crossing lasers

Vlitra will rise his arms and send a line of ground explosions at you.

After this he will open his arms and fire lasers from both of them.

He will then sweep the area with these lasers, crossing them in front of him.

Run towards the explosions, roll through them and as soon as the laser start hissing roll towards Vlitra to find yourself in the middle of another roll when the lasers cross in front of you.

If you are hit by the explosions, STAY DOWN and let the laser cross above you.

5 - Direct laser

Vlitra will rise his arms and they will flash red.

After this he will emit a huge laser which he will immediately point towards you.

He does this a lot when you are firing from distance.

If you see the starting animation, DO NOT stop firing, and push the roll button.

You will roll immediately and you'll keep firing.

If you stop firing the time it takes for the camera to adjust will prevent your roll to be effective.

Instead if you roll while firing, you will avoid it.

6 - Rotating lasers

Vlitra will turn as he was trying to charge a spin move, he will start emitting lasers from his arms and he will start to sweep the area circularly (mainly anticlockwise) with two lasers.

The only real countermove I found was an heavy attack (:triangle:) to interrupt his move (let it start, though, because if you interrupt him before the lasers start, he will usually try it again and unless you are in Unlimited mode, you will have to cool down and won't be able to stop him again).

You could also try to run away from the lasers and roll below them when they are going to hit you, but I never managed to do that.

Running towards the lasers and rolling below them is not a wise move because Asura will finish the roll just in time for the other laser to hit him.

Also trying to jump over them is not a good idea, unless you are good at aiming your jump, because you will often land on the other laser.

Also, recovering from a hit will usually land you on yet another laser, almost always killing you, so it is pointless.

7 - Missiles

Actually you should hope for these.

You will see an animation of Vlitra building black matter in front of him and then he will throw a missile at you.

You will be prompted to press either :triangle: or :circle: to counter, do it and build a fair bit of rage.

After this, he will be on the ground and you'll be free to hit him with your ranged attack.

8 - Giant missile

Also hope for this combination of the wedge attack and the missile.

You will see an animation of Vlitra roaring (it's similar to the animations of other bosses getting ready to charge you) and he will jump at you.

You will be prompted to press :triangle:.

Do so and build quite a good amount of rage.

Hit him with your ranged attack while he stays down.

Other than this, stay away and hit him with your ranged attack (:square:) in between these attacks of his.

As soon as Asura enters the unlimited mode (on easy it's automatic), run to him and hit him with heavy attacks (:triangle:).

You can usually do three or four before the unlimited mode time runs off and you have to cool down.

At that point just back off and let Yasha get the punishment from the beast.

Be patient and he WILL go down.

I even managed to beat him with just a bit of energy left when I made a mistake and got almost killed at the beginning of the fight.

Just like backpackerd00d said, once you learn what to do, he's not hard at all.

Hope this helps someone

Edited by Yatterman