Need to play AC1 to understand AC2?

Nighthawk479

Never really felt like playing through the AC series untill 2 came out and planned on buying 1. When Brotherhood was announced I knew I would be buying it month one to get in on the online while it was popular. I planned on getting AC1 but with brotherhood coming out so soon I may be just picking up AC2 as this game follows it directly. If I play ac2 do they make it easy for me to understand or will I need to watch the cutscenes on youtube? I would rather not do that as I will most likely be picking up AC1 sometime after brotherhood.

I never played the first, and when the second one starts i had no idea what the hell was going on! But after a short introduction (i assume) following on from the previous game it re-explains some things so even if you're new to the game you'll grasp whats going on.

As the game goes on, some more complex aspects to the story will make you want to wiki the first to see how they are relevant.

In short, you don't need to play the first. AC2 does a pretty good job of explaining itslef although you'll want to research some aspects further, such as hidden messages you find in the game.

I'm a huge fan of the series but AC1 did get repetitive after awhile (stuck it out to find all of the flags though!) but AC 2 didn't have much to do with the first one inside the Animus but it did give more background on the war that is going on outside in the real world...so just read up on AC1 and have fun in AC2