I know i'm a tad late in playing AC:Revelations, so don't abuse me. Much appreciated. :)

I've just completed the story line and just finished collecting all offline trophies. I was a happy bunny, the story line rocked. Could've been a bit longer though. :/

It wasn't until i went to play online that Uplay have decided to be con artists, and made you have a Uplay pass! Now i NEVER buy games brand new, because i don't fancy paying £45 for a game, when all the best ones come out at the same time (October/November). So i borrowed the game from a friend, and had to use a trial, which only lasts three days! I'm mega pissed as i actually work and have a social life, and especially in this decent weather i don't fancy sitting at home playing the PS3.

So as a conclusion, i just wanted to know how many of you guys feel the same way, that people are paying £45 for a game, then if you have it second hand, it's costing you to play online. If i wanted to pay-to-play, i'd go to the Xbox360. Does anyone else think this is an almighty con? I'm kinda put off the next AC now too, if they're making us pay for online.

I HATE online passes.. some used games i dont buy or rent cause then you gotta turn around and spend 10 bucks for a pass which makes price like buying new or even HIGHER than buying new in some cases. Its almost shady to me.. however..

I also see buisness stand point and them losing money cause ppl dont buy games as much and just wait for price drops or rent/buy item very cheap which they inturn dont make anything. Easiest example and im just sumplifying this... Its like buying a car and paying taxes and transfer fees ( which allow you to drive free on streets that are kept up with said money ), when you sale that car the new buyer again has to pay taxes and transfer fees (which lets new driver use streets free, money is used to keep up streets blah blah.)

So they do kinda same thing with games online.. (which are used to keep servers up and matainence and make alittle extra whatever for other projects)

So again, hate online passes.. they have kept me from getting games i want, but i also see some games really need this. Most recent games thats held me back, Warhammer 40k, but finnaly bought this past week 10 bucks on sale new, so online pass!! Saints row 3 im waiting for price drop, wont buy used or rent cause of pass. AC3 will prob have pass but im buying that new so...

To sum up your complaint

people other than yourself paid £40+ for the game with an online pass

you borrowed it off a friend for free but feel short changed that you would have to pay £7.99 for an online pass

By my calculations if you bought the pass you would pay £35 less than i did to experience the full game yet you are complaining...

To sum up your complaint

you borrowed it off a friend for free but feel short changed that you would have to pay £7.99 for an online pass

By my calculations if you bought the pass you would pay £35 less than i did to experience the full game yet you are complaining...

Sorry, but this is how I see it i'm afraid. I can fully understand you not wanting to pay full price for a game, and I don't like the direction the gaming industry has gone in some ways, but with pre-owned games and rental services, the former of which games developer/publishers receive absolutely no money from. I can fully understand why they introduced online passes.

I've currently got Ghost Recon: Future Soldier from Lovefilm, and if I want to play online then i'm going to have to spend the £7.99 to do that, but apart from my rental service fee, i've paid nothing for the game. So £7.99 for a game that costs £30-40 in shops at this moment. I think that's a fair deal in this day and age.

Edited by Byrney

From a consumer point of view i agree that its a rip off, from a business point of view its a way for the devs to get a slice of the used market.

The whole industry is about making as much money out of the consumer as possible so its no surprise.

Imagine buying a movie on DVD/Blu Ray and the ending is missing, you then have to then go online and enter a code to see the ending (actually wouldn't surprise me if the movie companies start doing this) everyone would complain.

To sum up your complaint

That is a very fair point.

However, borrowing isn't keeping, so i had to give it back without completion. So i'm still going to have to buy it on eBay or something, second hand, and buy a pass.

But i completely appreciate your comment. It's kinda made me think "Hell yeah, i may just buy that pass.."

I'm just saying that it's pretty bad for the gamer. :/

It's like that in most games now, but I think it's fair enough. If you bought a game, you should be allowed access to whatever content the devs decide on, but if you borrowed it off a friend you need to pay. I would've done the same; I don't think it's quite fair to have one game between a dozen people.

Luckily for me, though, I had the Uplay pass to myself.

Online passes don't bother me and I can understand why they make them...I got this game used, and while I very well could have used the 3 day trial to get all multiplayer trophies, I found a uplay pass for the game on ebay for $1.20 :cool:

Right here is the best reply to this thread. Find a cheap pass on ebay, that's another awesome solution :applause:

They honestly don't bother me, mainly because I do buy my game used so the developers can hopefully get some piece of that huge pie the publisher is making off of the sales. More and more you notice the video game industry going down under the weight of huge expectations for games (look at 38 Studios) and online passes, to combat piracy and rentals/used game sales from which they get no money from, is one form of trying to get their fair share. Also, it could be a lot worse: DRM on the PC can get completely out of hand (look at Diablo 3 for instance).

When I rent, I fully expect to pay a bit for an online pass. I'm ok with that. It's like when I had to buy textbooks in college: used or new it didn't make much of a difference. So, really, if you're borrowing or renting this game at least give the developers credit, no matter the company, and give them that $10. Or don't play MP. Wait for the pennies to pile up. In the end, you've actually won out compared to the people who made the damn game.

(I have little compassion for those complaining about online passes. I'm by no means rich or rolling in it yet at the same time I want to make sure further games are developed by that company and for the game to do well. I really like the AC series as well. It's business.)

• 1 month later...

Whenever I find out that a game has an Online Pass I refrain from buying that game, just to send a signal. I then borrow it for free from the public library or if a friend has bought it, and usually have a free voucher for the online pass from friends in the industry.

So when a game I want don't have an online pass I buy it new for top $ (or from the bargain bin if I was busy on other games or didn't notice it on initial release)

But if I know of an online pass before buying, I simply don't.

Hmm, what are the devs making more of in that case?

And if more people were actually doing this instead of just complaining after having bought them, online passes would never have made it through, but as this is a way of greedy companies trying to score extra buck, they'd just throw something else in our faces right?

I know it's very popular to say it's like this and this market, auto-industry does it so suck it and so on, but the fact is we live in a capitalistic economy, so anyone able to hoard a few bucks through a scam can & will do so, including the auto industry. We don't see this on other software, all PC software I own (not games) I'm allowed to install on 3 systems, instead of the 2 PSN allows me, and not a single one has 2nd hand restrictions.

I have yet to see another platform within the entertainment industry try this, and music has for over 40 years been a much bigger 2nd hand market than games, never heard a single musician complain over it, and only Universal have openly grunted a bit, but didn't really do anything about it except to try and promote digital releases more, as those are a bit more tricky to maintain a 2nd hand market on.

But in the end, if something becomes a norm within the game industry, it's not the devs or companies to blame in the end, they just try out different stuff to make money, it's what we buy that steers their decision making.

Think about that before buying the next online pass game - I'm just gonna enjoy boosting the crap out of ACR with my yet another free Online Pass for a game I was gonna buy new, but cos of pass opted for borrowing it instead as to not support this nonsense (I don't even like the AC MP, play it for the single player, boost to have my plat at the end of it)

• 1 month later...

I've been reading your comments and it's actually made me think. I guess it's good for the game industry. If it means making the game continue, then so be it. I guess it's because it's the start of online passes, and it's going to be normal for everything soon. Anyways, i finally platted AC:Rev yesterday, and cannot wait for AC3. :) Enjoy chaps.