There is something wrong with the combat system

this is coming from me who's playing ACIII for the first time after playing other games like GTA V and any other open world games where you can take out a weapon at any time and go on a rampage killing bystanders and civillians. In this game I don't have free will to pull out a sword and slash anyone around without engaging combat first. and the gun, why does the gun take too long to load ammo and I can't really use so much of it, only certain times when the game lets you. This is so much different than ACII. I don't know why is it so difficult to use the weapons

this is coming from me who's playing ACIII for the first time after playing other games like GTA V and any other open world games where you can take out a weapon at any time and go on a rampage killing bystanders and civillians. In this game I don't have free will to pull out a sword and slash anyone around without engaging combat first. and the gun, why does the gun take too long to load ammo and I can't really use so much of it, only certain times when the game lets you. This is so much different than ACII. I don't know why is it so difficult to use the weapons

The gun takes so long because those old guns actually did take a long time to reload. :)

As for killing people, the hidden blade will still allow you to stealthily kill anyone you sneak up on without engaging in open combat. Yes, the game won't allow you to go on a rampage with your sword... but that's because this isn't that type of game.

Yes, at first I was annoyed too that it takes so long to reload, especially when I'm fighting several "heavies" at the same time who always counter my hits and I'm low on health. But it's more realistic and reminds us why soldiers used both guns and swords and how clumsy guns really were. The previous Assassin's Creeds were simply not realistic in that regard. Good thing the gun isn't as inaccurate as in those days. I try to use my bow as much as possible.

But regardless of the combat, I am missing something in this game. I don't know exactly what it is. I really loved the Renaissance setting of the previous games. I miss Italy and Istanbul. And Connor, though a good enough character, is not Ezio. There is nothing wrong with this game, but for me it stands in the shadow of the Assassin's Creed 2 cycle, and it doesn't really bring something new, besides the American setting.

Edited by TheDearGunther

• 4 weeks later...

I've always found it frustrating that once a battle is initiated you cant easily turn tail and run, you are locked into the combat. I wish there was a better way to lock onto your targets, when there are lots about and they are moving it can be awkward. Also, trying to escape on horse is equally painful since the horse gets shot down almost immediately. Travelling on horse back through the woods is super frustrating when the damn thing won't jump over tiny stumps or fallen logs. Completely. Retarded.

I REALLY wish they hadn't changed the combat system from what we were used to such a pain in the arse =/

I am finding the entire story painfully boring and some parts are hard to follow. I am not one for skipping cutscenes, but I am starting to WANT to skip them. the characters are all bland and look the same too.

I don't much mind about the long reload times, I don't use the gun much. Plus, I like the new fast travel system.

• 10 months later...