Fanorona (EXPERT) Easy Win Method

dawngalneryus

Just want to share this Fanorona (EXPERT) Easy-Win Method to anyone who is frustrated playing with the old man(Achilles).

This method is kinda simple: you use computer(this program) to play with computer(ACIII)

Fanorona (java is needed, and also thanks to the program creator David Eppstein)

If you don't know how to play Fanorona, make sure to enable the Long move log format under options, although it is recommended to learn it 'cause it's fun :)

I won on my first try ;)

HOW IT WORKS

Before playing, you might want do a setup first.

After that, let Achilles(ACIII) play first, input his moves in this program and you will rip him off in no time ;)

P.S. This method could also be able to be applied on other games as well

THE SETUP

[important!]Make sure the settings is saved after the changes, it seems that some browsers will reverse your changes and cause failure to this method. Using another browser might help.(Thanks BBurgSteve for this)

Under Level: Three-ply fixed depth search(Necessary, thanks to Obie83)

Under Options:

1. Computer plays black pieces
  2. Human plays white pieces
  3. White pieces start at top
  4. White makes first move
  5. Long move log format
  6. Mulitple captures on first move ok(might not be necessary)

INSTRUCTION: HOW TO MOVE AND TAKE

*Remember you(Achilles) are the White pieces

1. To move your desired white piece, instead of clicking on it, you choose the black piece to take.
    [important!]If you choose a black piece but the program doesn't move, it means more than 1 white piece can be use to take that particular piece. You will need to click on the white piece and DRAG it to the position you want to move.
  2. Repeat the above if there are multiple takes.
  3. When your move ends, black piece will automatically move and THIS is your respond move to put back in the game.
  4. *Sometimes Achilles stop his move even if he can take more, in that case, you should use PASS.
  5. In late games where you have to move without taking pieces, this time you click on the White piece and click on the position you want to move.

(If you made a mistake moving, you can always use the UNDO button)

INSTRUCTION: HOW TO READ THE MOVE LOG

(Reminder: This requires you to enable Long move log format under options first)

If you couldn't figure out your respond move, you can use the move log as a reference. Here it uses Column a to i (left to right) and Row 5 to 1 (top to bottom) to label the pieces and every step is outlined in the format of "Movement x taken pieces". For example, "d3-e3 x f3" means it goes from d3 to e3 and it took f3 in this movement.

Edited by dawngalneryus

shouldn't it be!

[2] Computer plays white pieces

If want to see moves

Level: should be set to "1 1/2 to 10 second/move" or even 10 to 60 so you can see the moves or they just move instantly and your like WTF! second/move if is set to Computer vs Computer! still happens to fast with other setting! or just pick fastest and read Move Log!

up to a point PC vs PC may get in a Draw but keep going!

Not sure to read this Move log! found an Image

White Won

1. e4>e3 d2<e1>e2

2. f3>e3<e4 f2>e3<e2

3. c4>c3<d3>d2<c2 b2<c1

4. a4>a3>b2<b3 g3<f2>f3

5. g4>g3<f4<f5 h1>h2

6. g5>h4>h3 i2>i3

7. h3<g3 f1-f2

8. g3<h4

Edited by gtasthehunter

deleted cause it's too long, sorry

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I said computer vs computer, I meant computer(AC III) vs computer(the program).

So to use this program, you(Human) input Achilles's move and it will give you a respond move. That's why you have to let Achilles to play first. Then use the respond in game and repeat.

And for the detailed movements, yeah it is too fast but it should be easy to figure out the program's move

The games are not impossible to beat legit. Yea they are tough as hell and I wanted to break everything around me. But when I finally won it was so satisfying. Y'all should really give it a good attempt before trying this program. What's irritating is , everyone's gonna get these hard ass games done this way and vote it a 3/10 difficulty, just that trophy alone is a 9/10 legit if not higher

Edited by SWAT_brigadeCT

each to their own ;) I'm having fun playing against intermediate opponents in Boston, but these programs will be helpful if I can't manage to beat the experts.

this is ps3t afterall, plenty of people are driven by trophies rather than challenges, and of course, this kind of shortcut knowledge will be shared.

thanks for the Fanorona program :)

also found java programs for playing variations of Morris:

Morris Games

pick the game you want to play, and whether computer plays black or white... and go from there I guess :)

I had to use this Game of Morris that other one froze to much and was slow! but this doesn't let you slide back for between to spots!

I really ended up using this one Morris game from some other post

Edited by gtasthehunter

I can't really figure this program out. When i go to the move log I can see what move i should do against ACIII, but when i'm done with my move, the game on my pc and the game on ACIII is not the same anymore eventhough i did the move described in the move log. What do I do wrong?

Sooooo, how does this program work if they don't take a piece? or if for whatever reason, white decides not to move any piece at all?

You have to click on the piece you want to move, then click on the space where you want to move it to. Then you need to click on which of the opponents pieces you want to remove.

Thanks for sharing this program OP, helped a lot. I actually gave up on this program and tried to use the video guide but seemed like to much hassle to follow lol. Took a while to get used to and you have to understand how to play the game, as well the way pieces move before using the program, as the program doesn't show the movements of the black pieces. The trick seems to be cancelling a few of your moves even though you're in position to take more pieces.

This program is not working for me, comes up as an error.

Have you installed Java? Or what kind or error did it show?

Try using Chrome ;)

I can't really figure this program out. When i go to the move log I can see what move i should do against ACIII, but when i'm done with my move, the game on my pc and the game on ACIII is not the same anymore eventhough i did the move described in the move log. What do I do wrong?

I'm not so sure about your situation, anymore details?

Sometimes you have 2 choices you can choose to take and the movelog doesn't outline that, maybe that's the problem? In that case, don't rely on the movelog, use it as a reference to figure out the moves, it is actually pretty easy :)

Perhaps I will take some time to write more on the instruction of the program

You have to click on the piece you want to move, then click on the space where you want to move it to. Then you need to click on which of the opponents pieces you want to remove.

Thanks for sharing this program OP, helped a lot. I actually gave up on this program and tried to use the video guide but seemed like to much hassle to follow lol. Took a while to get used to and you have to understand how to play the game, as well the way pieces move before using the program, as the program doesn't show the movements of the black pieces. The trick seems to be cancelling a few of your moves even though you're in position to take more pieces.

Glad it helped. It's a shame it doesn't show the exact moves.

And I think not taking all the pieces is actually a strategy ;) (Achilles does that too)

His first move is always F3 to E3. I can't do this on the java game.

i think the java game is upside down and back to front or something when you go second, and it seems you cant be white when its at the top of the board, your still black even if you select white..... i cant get it to work right

EDIT

*couldnt get that to work so i just played and won first time lol*

Edited by Mickymaster
sit changed

His first move is always F3 to E3. I can't do this on the java game.

You can do this by clicking the black piece on D3/G3, it means it moves from F3 to E3 to take D3/G3

i think the java game is upside down and back to front or something when you go second, and it seems you cant be white when its at the top of the board, your still black even if you select white..... i cant get it to work right

I guess you got confused because the program kinda has an indirect movement, I updated some instructions, check it out to see if it helps you

Edited by dawngalneryus

I understand how this works now, but it's not up to track with AC3 for me. Sometimes the program doesn't take all the bricks it does in AC3 and ruins the rest of the game for me. I'm following the move log intensely, but the program and AC3 just don't add up? Am I doing something wrong?

I understand how this works now, but it's not up to track with AC3 for me. Sometimes the program doesn't take all the bricks it does in AC3 and ruins the rest of the game for me. I'm following the move log intensely, but the program and AC3 just don't add up? Am I doing something wrong?

When you say "the program doesn't take all the bricks it does in AC3" do you mean the program(Black) responds before you(White) can make all the moves?

I understand the game and the program but it just never plays out like it does on AC3 despite me inputting what is going on precisely :( Hardest trophy in this game for sure, I dont want to hate but god damn... Im an assassin, wish I could just stab him in the face and win!