Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Infinitez

Send a message via Skype™ to Infinitez

Awards Showcase PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Default Assassin's Creed 3 - CVG Informed of future setting

I'm not sure if anyone's already posted this somewhere, my apologies if this is a double post.

But let's get straight to the topic: Assassin's Creed 3's setting has been (ALMOST) confirmed to be taking place in the American Revolution, with, as we all know, a new protagonist.

Change of pace from the ancient times... how do you think it'll end up?

More info here:
News: Ubisoft 2012 release schedule confirms Assassin's Creed 3, Splinter Cell: Retribution? - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

*EDIT: I did mean to put informed, not confirmed. My apologies. I skimmed the article too quickly... but chances are, it will be the American Revolution. Confirmed or Informed, you decide.

Currently on a PS3 Gaming hiatus.
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

Last edited by Infinitez; 02-15-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Infinitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Vaco Deus

Awards Showcase Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Sounds fine to me.

Ubi has stated, for the AC series, they want to to locations and time periods that are rarely touched on in games and the American Revolution fits the bill.

And it makes sense given ACR's ending
Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
Infinitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaco Deus View Post
Sounds fine to me.

Ubi has stated, for the AC series, they want to to locations and time periods that are rarely touched on in games and the American Revolution fits the bill.

And it makes sense given ACR's ending
You're right on the spot about that. I think it's quite unique as well, as there aren't many games on the American Revolution.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
purifico

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts

American Revolution setting sucks. America was a rural mess up until the second half of 19th century. What am I supposed to climb? What am I supposed to leap-of-faith off? A one-storey huts? What am I supposed to gawk at? The non-existent historical landmarks? *disappointed*

I think this is gonna fail. Not in terms of story and gameplay, which will probably stay more or less the same, but in terms of world exploration.

Last edited by purifico; 02-15-2012 at 07:37 AM.
purifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Infinitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by purifico View Post
American Revolution setting sucks. America was a rural mess up until the second half of 19th century. What am I supposed to climb? What am I supposed to leap-of-faith off? A one-storey huts? What am I supposed to gawk at? The non-existent historical landmarks? *disappointed*

I think this is gonna fail. Not in terms of story and gameplay, which will probably stay more or less the same, but in terms of world-exploration.
You neve know, maybe Ubisoft will miraculously make it amazing.

I was hoping to get a setting related to the Chinese assassin Shao Jun though (as seen in Embers), because Chinese history is quite unique and amazing, and the ancient buildings are very nice. But meh.... why America :\ not that I hate it, but comparing American history to others such as China and Italy, I too think it's a bit... dull.

Let's just hope that if it does end up being American Rev., that we dont jump of one story buildings. That would seriously disappoint me.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Vaco Deus

Awards Showcase Bronze Submission

It's not going to be like running around Rome but there was still some tall structures back in the 1700s

American Architecture - Eighteenth Century - 1700 to 1799 - Great Buildings - Architecture Online
Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Moving On

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze

Quote:
I agree with this, but I'll admit it might just be because of my European-centric way of thinking and not being an American.

I won't deny the relevance of the American Revolution, but in terms of historic importance for the entire world, I'd still feel the French Revolution is too ground-breaking an event for the Assassin's Creed series to just skip.

On top of that, as purifico mentioned, France during the revolution would seem much more attractive a location in terms of in-game architecture for Desmond's ancestor to climb and jump off of.

Last edited by Moving On; 02-15-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Moving On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
purifico

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitez View Post
You neve know, maybe Ubisoft will miraculously make it amazing.

I was hoping to get a setting related to the Chinese assassin Shao Jun though (as seen in Embers), because Chinese history is quite unique and amazing, and the ancient buildings are very nice. But meh.... why America :\ not that I hate it, but comparing American history to others such as China and Italy, I too think it's a bit... dull.

Let's just hope that if it does end up being American Rev., that we dont jump of one story buildings. That would seriously disappoint me.
You are right. I will wait and see. Maybe Ubisoft will make that setting exciting and whatnot. I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt.
But honestly the most exciting thing for me in Assassin's Creed games has always been and always will be climbing the highest building in the city. Then sitting there for a couple of minutes with only eagles to keep me company. Looking down at the civilization build by men and feeling like a God. Like Zeus on top of his Olympus. And then leap down with wind whistling in my ears. That's a one million bucks feeling. King of the World, Master of the Universe feeling.
And with a setting like American revolution this feeling will be gone. However I have an idea. What if the setting IS an American Revolurion, but the place is actually London/Great Britain? What if only a small part of the game will take place in the New World colony? That would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaco Deus View Post
It's not going to be like running around Rome but there was still some tall structures back in the 1700s

American Architecture - Eighteenth Century - 1700 to 1799 - Great Buildings - Architecture Online
Those are very underwhelming to tell the truth( Most of those buildings that had been finished by 1775 are mostly two-storeyed and bland. And, let's be honest, who even knows about them apart from american architecture majors? They are not Santa Maria del Fiore level landmarks.

I agree with Moving On here: French Revolution would have been a much better setting both in terms of relevance for history of human civilization and gameplay/presentation balance. Besides it's practically the same time period (1789-1799). AND we would get to see Bastille! I've always wanted to see Bastille.

Last edited by purifico; 02-15-2012 at 08:15 AM.
purifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Shinta07

Quote:
I see...your basis of what America looked like in the 18th century seems to stem from the movie The Patriot.

Boston and New York, while not exactly Rome or Florence, were nothing like you are suggesting above during that period. You also have to remember that France was actually quite involved with American Revolution so there could easily be segments of the game occurring in France (hell maybe you have to protect Ben Franklin while he is in France similar to Da Vinci at some point).

Shinta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Jonn_

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze

I hope it's not, but NY will be featured in some way, maybe just not as the location of the past assassin.

AIso, I have a theory on who the next assassin *might* be (if it's not Desmond)

Just a possibility I thought of the other day.

I just saw this:
Assassin's Creed 3 release date October 30 - ComputerAndVideoGames.com
AC III is out in October!
Jonn_ is offline   Reply With Quote