Assassin's Creed 3 - CVG Informed of future setting

Infinitez

I'm not sure if anyone's already posted this somewhere, my apologies if this is a double post.

But let's get straight to the topic: Assassin's Creed 3's setting has been (ALMOST) confirmed to be taking place in the American Revolution, with, as we all know, a new protagonist.

Change of pace from the ancient times... how do you think it'll end up?

More info here:

News: Ubisoft 2012 release schedule confirms Assassin's Creed 3, Splinter Cell: Retribution? - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

*EDIT: I did mean to put informed, not confirmed. My apologies. I skimmed the article too quickly... but chances are, it will be the American Revolution. Confirmed or Informed, you decide.

Edited by Infinitez

Sounds fine to me.

Ubi has stated, for the AC series, they want to to locations and time periods that are rarely touched on in games and the American Revolution fits the bill.

And it makes sense given ACR's ending

[spoiler=id]

The temple is located in upstate New York and they got Desmond to America

Sounds fine to me.

Ubi has stated, for the AC series, they want to to locations and time periods that are rarely touched on in games and the American Revolution fits the bill.

And it makes sense given ACR's ending

[spoiler=id]

The temple is located in upstate New York and they got Desmond to America

You're right on the spot about that. I think it's quite unique as well, as there aren't many games on the American Revolution.

American Revolution setting sucks. America was a rural mess up until the second half of 19th century. What am I supposed to climb? What am I supposed to leap-of-faith off? A one-storey huts? What am I supposed to gawk at? The non-existent historical landmarks? *disappointed*

I think this is gonna fail. Not in terms of story and gameplay, which will probably stay more or less the same, but in terms of world exploration.

Edited by purifico

American Revolution setting sucks. America was a rural mess up until the second half of 19th century. What am I supposed to climb? What am I supposed to leap-of-faith off? A one-storey huts? What am I supposed to gawk at? The non-existent historical landmarks? *disappointed*

I think this is gonna fail. Not in terms of story and gameplay, which will probably stay more or less the same, but in terms of world-exploration.

You neve know, maybe Ubisoft will miraculously make it amazing.

I was hoping to get a setting related to the Chinese assassin Shao Jun though (as seen in Embers), because Chinese history is quite unique and amazing, and the ancient buildings are very nice. But meh.... why America :\ not that I hate it, but comparing American history to others such as China and Italy, I too think it's a bit... dull.

Let's just hope that if it does end up being American Rev., that we dont jump of one story buildings. That would seriously disappoint me.

I agree with this, but I'll admit it might just be because of my European-centric way of thinking and not being an American. ;)

I won't deny the relevance of the American Revolution, but in terms of historic importance for the entire world, I'd still feel the French Revolution is too ground-breaking an event for the Assassin's Creed series to just skip.

On top of that, as purifico mentioned, France during the revolution would seem much more attractive a location in terms of in-game architecture for Desmond's ancestor to climb and jump off of.

Edited by Moving On
I'm an idiot

You neve know, maybe Ubisoft will miraculously make it amazing.

I was hoping to get a setting related to the Chinese assassin Shao Jun though (as seen in Embers), because Chinese history is quite unique and amazing, and the ancient buildings are very nice. But meh.... why America :\ not that I hate it, but comparing American history to others such as China and Italy, I too think it's a bit... dull.

Let's just hope that if it does end up being American Rev., that we dont jump of one story buildings. That would seriously disappoint me.

You are right. I will wait and see. Maybe Ubisoft will make that setting exciting and whatnot. I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt.

But honestly the most exciting thing for me in Assassin's Creed games has always been and always will be climbing the highest building in the city. Then sitting there for a couple of minutes with only eagles to keep me company. Looking down at the civilization build by men and feeling like a God. Like Zeus on top of his Olympus. And then leap down with wind whistling in my ears. That's a one million bucks feeling. King of the World, Master of the Universe feeling.

And with a setting like American revolution this feeling will be gone. However I have an idea. What if the setting IS an American Revolurion, but the place is actually London/Great Britain? What if only a small part of the game will take place in the New World colony? That would be nice.

It's not going to be like running around Rome but there was still some tall structures back in the 1700s

American Architecture - Eighteenth Century - 1700 to 1799 - Great Buildings - Architecture Online

Those are very underwhelming to tell the truth( Most of those buildings that had been finished by 1775 are mostly two-storeyed and bland. And, let's be honest, who even knows about them apart from american architecture majors? They are not Santa Maria del Fiore level landmarks.

I agree with Moving On here: French Revolution would have been a much better setting both in terms of relevance for history of human civilization and gameplay/presentation balance. Besides it's practically the same time period (1789-1799). AND we would get to see Bastille! I've always wanted to see Bastille.

Edited by purifico

I see...your basis of what America looked like in the 18th century seems to stem from the movie The Patriot.

Boston and New York, while not exactly Rome or Florence, were nothing like you are suggesting above during that period. You also have to remember that France was actually quite involved with American Revolution so there could easily be segments of the game occurring in France (hell maybe you have to protect Ben Franklin while he is in France similar to Da Vinci at some point).

I hope it's not, but NY will be featured in some way, maybe just not as the location of the past assassin.

AIso, I have a theory on who the next assassin *might* be (if it's not Desmond)

[spoiler=uhnbfghjk8]Well, Ezio & Altair aren't related. But Desmond is blood related to both. So somewhere in time the bloodlines mix and, if it wasn't Desmond's parents who did it (pretty sure we wouldn't play as them), bam, there's your potential assassin.

Just a possibility I thought of the other day.

I just saw this:

Assassin's Creed 3 release date October 30 - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

AC III is out in October!

Hopefully nobody starts crying about "another yearly release?". For me, the quality has been there for all the games. Brotherhood was the best in the series for me personally. Revelations was also good, but a slight step back.

I think they mentioned though that AC3 has been in development for three years, so... yeah.

I see...your basis of what America looked like in the 18th century seems to stem from the movie The Patriot.

Boston and New York, while not exactly Rome or Florence, were nothing like you are suggesting above during that period. You also have to remember that France was actually quite involved with American Revolution so there could easily be segments of the game occurring in France (hell maybe you have to protect Ben Franklin while he is in France similar to Da Vinci at some point).

I haven't even heard about such a movie, sorry

BTW, http://m.kotaku.com/assassinscreed/

I agree that the American Revolution will suck. The structures aren't anything compared to Rome and frankly it doesn't strike me as an "Assassin's Creed" location at all. Lets hope that they know what they're doing if it's true, otherwise I don't see how this is going to top the previous games.

In addition to harbor and urban settings in cities like Boston, I expect there to be a lot of horseback gameplay, open areas with forts and fortified camps like in the Roman countryside in Brotherhood, and missions to London and Paris. Maybe even some naval battles, commandeering ships, etc.

Oh god, i hope not! I've had enough of silly out of place strategy mini-games.

Oh god, i hope not! I've had enough of silly out of place strategy mini-games.

So true. The basic ideas Ubisoft has shown are interesting enough, but they're just so far removed from the core AC gameplay that they feel wholly out of place.

In and of itself, the little Den Defense minigame in Revelations was actually pretty cool. I just didn't like it because I wanted to freerun around the beautiful city instead of being forced to stand in place and order stationary troops like virtual pawns on a virtual chessboard.

On one hand, I would like a more ancient setting in like China or Japan as some have said, but on the otherhand the games going to end in modern times more than likely so may as well start working our way up to that I guess..

The beauty of the AC franchise is that it can use any timeperiod in history so the gameplay could always be changing

As Long As They Dont Change The Gameplay itll be alright i guess

(Personally it Wont be the same without Ezio i would end the series TBH it would be better

or call it something else)

Fuck that. Ezio was a good character but he is also not the only thing that makes the series. I think the American Revolution could be a pretty cool idea plus,

[spoiler=123]Desmond learned about the location of the central vault (needed to stop this solar flare) from the goddess Jupiter. When he wakes up from the Animus, Rebecca, Shaun, and his father had taken him to America. This enforces the idea that the game will either be based around Desmond or an ancestor during the American Revolution. Maybe we'll finally get to see and explore the farm from Desmond's childhood.

I won't deny the relevance of the American Revolution, but in terms of historic importance for the entire world, I'd still feel the French Revolution is too ground-breaking an event for the Assassin's Creed series to just skip.

Uhh, can we just take a moment and realize that there wouldn't have been a French Revolution if there was no American Revolution.

Personally, I am really pleased with the rumors that this may be taking place during the American Revolution. It's never seen in gaming, and I'm interested to see the unique AC take on history here.

Also, I think all of this America hatred is hilarious. It is a global game, meaning that it can take place anywhere in the world. New York/American Revolution is just as important to shaping world history as Rome/Renaissance or Jerusalem/Crusades.

Edited by dmsdq

Also, I think all of this America hatred is hilarious. It is a global game, meaning that it can take place anywhere in the world. New York/American Revolution is just as important to shaping world history as Rome/Renaissance or Jerusalem/Crusades.

It's not America hate at all. It is an important historic event yes, but would it make a good playground? I'm not so sure.

It's not America hate at all. It is an important historic event yes, but would it make a good playground? I'm not so sure.

There are a lot of assumptions that go into the belief that it wouldn't be a fun playground.

The vast majority of buildings in the AC games have been at most 4-5 stories tall. While there was nothing the size of the Hagia Sofia, New York wasn't exactly a primitive village either at the time. The impressive structures are fun but hardly the center of the majority of gameplay. This is of course based on the assumption that much of anything occurs in NYC. Most of the game could happen in France or Britain for all we know with the Colonists as having Templar support. There is a lot of hand wringing over assumptions with no real backing at this point.