Rear camera light document thing

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so does anyone have any tips that actually work? This gimmick is so obnoxious, I have yet to find any consistent way to make this work. It's always constant dicking around for roughly a minute before finally it lets me move the circle, and usually that happens when I've pointed the Vita AWAY from a light source instead of towards one.

Really wish Jim had talked about this game during his latest episode, as this game is one of the worst offenders when it comes to shoehorning in every extra feature the system has even though they don't work well and completely fuck up the flow of the game.

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Jimquisition : Touch Waggle Touch Waggle Swipe

Right, so does anyone have any tips that actually work? This gimmick is so obnoxious, I have yet to find any consistent way to make this work. It's always constant dicking around for roughly a minute before finally it lets me move the circle, and usually that happens when I've pointed the Vita AWAY from a light source instead of towards one.

Really wish Jim had talked about this game during his latest episode, as this game is one of the worst offenders when it comes to shoehorning in every extra feature the system has even though they don't work well and completely fuck up the flow of the game.

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Jimquisition : Touch Waggle Touch Waggle Swipe

Totally agree, same reason Uncharted sucks on Vita. Too much focus on this gimmickry crap and not enough on great gameplay. The reviewer on IGN talked about how you'd be getting into it finally, even with the meager story, just for it to pull you out and remind you that you are in a game with this Vita stuff that barely works. I have also had inconsistent pickpocketing as well as the problem mentioned here, and yes mine also never worked until some random moments when I pull away from light. As for the pickpocketing, it seems so random and with no control, and every time it is a mission requirement to pickpocket I always wind up having to restart the system and even then it rarely works. I'll spend 20 minutes following the guys to pickpocket before it actually responds. In one case I got fed up, killed and just looted the idiot. Only seems to occur in missions where they specifically ask you to pickpocket.

Totally agree, same reason Uncharted sucks on Vita. Too much focus on this gimmickry crap and not enough on great gameplay. The reviewer on IGN talked about how you'd be getting into it finally, even with the meager story, just for it to pull you out and remind you that you are in a game with this Vita stuff that barely works. I have also had inconsistent pickpocketing as well as the problem mentioned here, and yes mine also never worked until some random moments when I pull away from light. As for the pickpocketing, it seems so random and with no control, and every time it is a mission requirement to pickpocket I always wind up having to restart the system and even then it rarely works. I'll spend 20 minutes following the guys to pickpocket before it actually responds. In one case I got fed up, killed and just looted the idiot. Only seems to occur in missions where they specifically ask you to pickpocket.

Ah yeah, the pickpocketing is bullshit too. I'm having the opposite problem, I can pickpocket perfectly in missions but when I'm wandering around in "free roam" and it points out a dude and says "pickpocket this guy for a collectible" then it becomes impossible.

The only non-button interactions that work are (surprise!) menu navigation. Select a weapon, bam. Buy some goods, bam. All that extra shit, get rid of it. This is a Vita, not a smart phone. It has buttons so stop fucking around with this bullshit and let us use them.

Ah yeah, the pickpocketing is bullshit too. I'm having the opposite problem, I can pickpocket perfectly in missions but when I'm wandering around in "free roam" and it points out a dude and says "pickpocket this guy for a collectible" then it becomes impossible.

The only non-button interactions that work are (surprise!) menu navigation. Select a weapon, bam. Buy some goods, bam. All that extra shit, get rid of it. This is a Vita, not a smart phone. It has buttons so stop fucking around with this bullshit and let us use them.

Prophesy brother!

For pickpocketing, if it wouldn't let me pickpocket a voodoo guy, I pushed him around a bit then picked a fight with some guys. He ran off, I killed the guys, ran around til he came back and then I could pickpocket him. It seems to reset the guys somehow that even rebooting doesn't. It fixed two of my guys for me.

For the light thing: Just face it towards a bit of light (doesn't need to be a lot) and then turn it clockwise like you're turning a steering wheel. So the vita needs to stay in the same spot and turn on the spot. It's like you would turn a smarthphone to switch the screen from horizontal to vertical view after reading a webpage. After turning you'll be able to use the front touch to turn the circle on the screen.

For the pickpocketing: Don't swipe too fast. I noticed that I was able to pickpocket multiple things when I swiped slower (from top to bottom).

I tried so many different methods I found all over the place, nothing worked consistently. It was more of a move it around for awhile till it mysteriously works. And the pickpocketing wasn't about how fast or slow you'd do it, it would happen A LOT that the little blue dot would never even appear on screen when attempting a pickpocket. I would have to quit out to get it to work.

After my corrupted save file I'm torn between trading this in and waiting for a patch. IMHO it's not good enough to play through all over again, especially since I was just doing cleanup post game.

Edited by ekkatin

I'm not even against "gimmicks" in games. Sure, none of this stuff is, like, lifechanging or whatever, but it doesn't hurt, either, and losens things up a bit from time to time. But then it should actually WORK.

Just no sense to this. It has been completely random so far with the "highlight" being the one time I played in bed and held the Vita's back against the lightbulb of my nightstand lamp. Nothing. Not bright enough? Okay, so I eventually wanted to get up in order to turn the main bedroom light on. I put the Vita on the bed and voilà - that's right, the camera was completely covered and that counted as a bright enough light in contrast to a burning light bulb.

Even if this worked well, how many times did they think it would be fun to repeat it? This is something you do once or twice in a game, not as a recurring gameplay mechanic.

I'm completely fine with how pickpocketing is being done, though. In theory, at least. I mean, pickpocketing should require a little precision and skill, so swiping the back screen carefully doesn't appear gimmicky to me but like the better, more appropriate way to do it.

Envelope opening however ... this is not how you open a letter, not at all. Not even if it WAS a 1cm thick envelope.

Edited by SoPoF

I'm completely fine with how pickpocketing is being done, though. In theory, at least. I mean, pickpocketing should require a little precision and skill, so swiping the back screen carefully doesn't appear gimmicky to me but like the better, more appropriate way to do it.

Except that there is no reason or rhyme to it. It just randomly works or doesn't. Do you think that other gamers are commenting without having tried it slower and with precision? I love Metal Gear, believe me I tried to just ease it and be precise, it just doesn't work.

As far as the stupid envelope, at least that part works. The light document thing is the absolute worst gimmick in the game, barely functional.

I tried so many different methods I found all over the place, nothing worked consistently. It was more of a move it around for awhile till it mysteriously works. And the pickpocketing wasn't about how fast or slow you'd do it, it would happen A LOT that the little blue dot would never even appear on screen when attempting a pickpocket. I would have to quit out to get it to work.

After my corrupted save file I'm torn between trading this in and waiting for a patch. IMHO it's not good enough to play through all over again, especially since I was just doing cleanup post game.

See, this is my experience. Absolutely no consistency. I get one thing to work one time, so I try to do it the same way the next time and it does not work. It just seems to be point the Vita at one random spot, spin it, and if it works great. If not, pick another spot and spin it some more. It doesn't seem to give a shit about how much light there is. Like SoPoF, there was one time where I got annoyed and set the Vita down on a table (I was going to grab a flashlight). As I was getting up after setting the Vita down, I heard it make that little noise which meant I could now spin the circle. What the fuck?

Same with pickpocketing, it either just works or doesn't work. Doesn't matter how fast or how slow you go: if it feels like working today, you will get something. If it doesn't feel like working, you get NOTHING! YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR! And honestly, I can understand the camera being a problem since the camera they used in the Vita is a complete piece of shit, but how the hell could Ubisoft fuck up an input as simple as swipe the back of the Vita to pickpocket? URGH!! Test your shit and if you can't make it work with a gimmick input, use a fucking button instead.

I also agree completely with the game not being good enough to play through again. I'll keep playing as long as the game keeps loading my save, but if it does corrupt, I am completely done with this game, patch or no patch. This game is almost enjoyable when it actually lets you go assassinate people, but since it spends so much time dicking around with other pointless shit with broken controls, there's no way I'd replay it. After watching today's episode of Zero Punctuation I'm starting to think I should just bin Liberation and get a copy of Assassin's Creed 1 so I can just go stab people.

Envelope opening however ... this is not how you open a letter, not at all. Not even if it WAS a 1cm thick envelope.

I would agree that pickpocketing requiring a careful swipe would be a better way to do it... If it fucking worked like that. If you do it too fast, they notice you and you get some guards on your ass, and if you do it just right you get an item. That would be fine by me. But that's not how it is. It's either working and you can go as fast as you want, or it doesn't work at all no matter what you do.

And yeah, the envelope opening is dumb because that's not how you open an envelope, and also I hate having to reposition how I hold the Vita just to swipe both touch panels at once and then repositioning it again for normal play. But at least it works first time every time and I can move the fuck on with my game (unless I just killed a rival business person in which case it's time for pointless camera light bulb shit!).

Uhm, did you guys not read I wrote " in theory" and that these gimmicks should actually work if you put them in your game? ;) I do loke the idea behind pickpocketing in this game, but the execution is as horrible as most other things in this bug- and glitchfest.

But for pickpocketing, at least there's a certain consistency: random, unimportant npc roaming the street - works perfectly. Specific, important NPC possessing a specific item you want/have to acquire - doesn't even react to input.

Lölz.

Edit: Oh, another thought about the light thingy: it's even more dumb when it's broad daylight ingame.

Edited by SoPoF

yeah its iffy. The best way I have found to get it to work is to cover the camera with your hand then move your hand really fast and shock the lense into thinking there is more light than there really is. Right away the screen will turn white.

I do this too but it never works consistently. My light thing always just randomly works in between me trying different methods, so I can't pinpoint what it is that's causing it to function.

What that guy above suggested about turning the Vita clockwise seems to work 100%. Thanks for the hint! Of course, thanks to savefile corruption, I won't be able to put it to good use unless a really good patch gets released.

Lazy, incompetent staff at Ubisoft Sofia. There's no way this game should've bern released the way it is if there was any playtesting going on.

I don't even understand why light is even a factor, let alone recurring mechanic in this horseshit game. I mean, isn't the point of a Vita to let you play a high quality videogame anywhere and anytime?! Well now I'm just sitting here on a ride home from a family visit with fuck all to do on the blasted thing because it's nighttime. Stupid bullshit.

The lighting thing is pretty touchy, but works fine when you know how to deal with it. the light you point it towards needs to be pretty bright in contrast to the surrounding light, then while keeping the light in the center of the ring spin your psv either way. If you're not focused on the light when you hit the right spot it won't work, its touchy, but once you get the feel it works every time, took me a bit to get it too. Once the knob on the wheel lights up you don't have to be aimed at the light anymore.

The concept that makes it relevent to the game is similar to the watermarks on US$'s (I don't know if other countries besides us and Canada use them, so this may be a bad analogy)

Now the pickpocketing....I only got this to work one way. Rub up against the guy you want to pickpocket as close as you can get(touching is ok, its not a stip joint) turn your camera so you can get a clean view of him, then just tap the shit out of him till he gives it up :devil: , cumbersome, but it works.

Yeah, I got stuck needing to do a point-document-at-a-bright-light while in a taxi on my way home one night. Not even pointing the light from my phone straight into the camera worked. Had to wait until I got home until I could progress with the game.

As for pickpocketing, I found the easiest thing to do was to target an NPC who was walking with L1, get right up close and let automatic following take over. Then, slowly slide my finger down the back pad at an angle (some of the more fancy chaps and chapettes have 4 bars which turn white, so you need to make sure you have enough space to slide your finger). I'd say about 75% success, which I suppose isn't too bad. Worked far more often that it didn't at any rate. Once I got the hang of this it was really easy.

Looking forward to the patch coming out so I can get back into this.

Man at first when I did this is got the light real quick, but when I got later in the game It became very difficult to get the rear camera to see the light. After much frustration I just started to turn the vita clockwise and it finally caught the light lol. Since then I have been doing that for the rear light camera so it could capture the light. Best thing I can recommend a person to do:dance:

Man at first when I did this is got the light real quick, but when I got later in the game It became very difficult to get the rear camera to see the light. After much frustration I just started to turn the vita clockwise and it finally caught the light lol. Since then I have been doing that for the rear light camera so it could capture the light. Best thing I can recommend a person to do:dance:

The rotating is actually part of the game mechanic. It's not about rotating to catch the light, it's just about finding the correct angle. Just keep twisting it until the dial glows.

It's all about the rotation. Sometimes it's a slight angle, other times you have to really twist it.