Analysis of puzzle chess game

NOTE: This contains spoilers for the glyph puzzles. Don't read it if you want to solve them on your own.

The game is a variation of the very old King's Gambit Declined opening.

1. e4 e5

2. f4 Nc6

So far, this is a standard book opening. It is not typically favored by the top players, but they pull it out at times, as it is sound. It was played all the time in the late 19th Century.

3. fxe5??

A terrible mistake by White! I had trouble solving the problem because I knew this was a massive blunder. I couldn't believe ACB WANTED me to play this stupid move. Now White loses a Rook or is quickly checkmated.

3... Qh4+

This is the way to take advantage of White's idiocy!

4. g6

Alternatively, White can play 4. Ke2 Qxe4+ 5. Kf2 Bc4+ 6. Kg3 (d4 is pointless) Qxe5+ and White's King is clearly helpless.

4... Qxe4+

Forking King and Rook. White appears to have counterplay by trapping the Black Queen at h1, but this does not come to fruition.

5. Qe2

Again, White can play 5. Kf2, but the results are just as bad as in the sequence after 3...Qh4+.

5... Qxh1

6. Nf3

This exact sequence was played in 2001 in Stamatopoulos vs. Iliopoulos at the Patras op 3rd. Black won as follows: 6...b6 7. d3 Bb7 8. Nbd2 Nb4 9. Kd1 Nh6 10. c3 Nd5 11. Kc2 Nf5 12. Kb1 Nfe3 13. Bh3 Qd1 14. Qxd1 Nxd1 15. Nc4 N1xc3+ 16. bxc3 Nxc3+ 17. Kc2 Bxf3 18. Kxc3 b5 19. Nd2 Bb7 20. Nb3 a5 21. Be3 a4 22. Nc5 Bxc5 23. Bxc5 Bd5 24. a3 Ra6 25. Rf1 Rh6 26. Bg4 Be6 27. h3 Bxg4 28. hxg4 d6 29. Bd4 O-O 30. exd6 cxd6 31. Rb1 Rb8 32. Be3 Rg6 33. g5 f6 34. Kd2 fxg5 35. Bd4 Rh6 36. Rc1 Rh2+ 37. Kc3 Rc8+ and White sensibly resigned (indeed should have long ago) down the Exchange and 3 pawns! Once Black engineers the Queen exchange via 12...Nfe3 and 13...Qd1, White's counterplay is dead and he is a Rook down - hopeless.

The point is this: Ubisoft picked a poor way to show the "mastery" of Abstergo, since this horrible result is really due to the massive incompetence of White! The rest of the game is a mop-up:

6... Be2

Clearly not the best (6...b6 is superior, e.g.), but almost anything wins now.

7. Nc3 d6

8. Kf2

Trying to trap the Black Queen at h1.

8... Nxe5

9. Bg2

Attacks the Black Queen, who is trapped except for...

9... Ng4#

Checkmate! Of course, in ACB, White cheats (Or thinks outside the box? "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"!) by moving his King off the board!

Again: this is not the result of master manipulation by Abstergo/Black, but rather is just the natural result of the idiocy of White's 3. fxe5. White deserved what happened. An extremely poor choice of chess metaphor. It would have been better if they had shown Abstergo/Black cheating to gain the advantage. ("Every move anticipated", etc.)

For the casual chess players in the group, I thought you might like a bit of in-depth analysis of the puzzle game.

Edited by boyydz
I forgot that the game's notation is a puzzle spoiler!

Nice analysis, but I was completely lost because I don't know how to play chess. Shame on me, I know.

I'm sure you're not the only one! I just found it interesting that I couldn't find this anywhere online, so I decided to do it myself.

I guess Ubisoft thought everyone should know how to play chess.

• 3 weeks later...