The Guide to Legit Extreme Variety

One of the bonuses required for Abstergo Employee of the Month achievement is the prestigious Extreme Variety - Achieve 15 bonuses or more in one session.

While it isn't an easy task, if you're interested in getting a platinum for this game, I strongly recommend that you at least try and get it legitimately. The satisfaction will be well worth it :)

A huge thanks to Moving On for helping me writing this guide :)

The best modes to achieve EV are Wanted, Alliance and Assassinate (Da Vinci DLC). There are 22 available bonuses for you to achieve, out of which you will need 15. For 5 first bonuses you get 'variety', for 10 'greater variety' and for 15 'extreme variety'.

Note that the variety bonuses themselves do not count towards EV.

Bonuses explained + Tips:

Skill:

Those are 8 bonuses that are entirely up to you.

* Discreet

* Silent

* Incognito

* Hidden - You will receive a hidden bonus if you kill your target while being blended in group, hiding in a hay stack or using Strong Disguise/Rapid Reload Disguise. You need to enter the blend group only for a second to acquire hidden status, and you will remain hidden for a split second after you exist the group, so make sure that your target is close. Note that you will need to stay longer (for about two seconds) in a hay stack to obtain hidden status, if you jump out earlier it won't count. And finally, SD and RR disguise will grant you a free hidden bonus once you make the kill, as long as the kill is Silent or Incognito. I managed to receive hidden while being discreet but it was rare, most of the times I got only discreet, without hidden.

* Acrobatic - This bonus can be obtained in three ways: while your persona is crouched on a fence or a wire, while hanging from wall or a wire, and when executing an aerial kill immediately after landing from a jump. While this bonus isn't easy, it can be achieved with enough practice and planning ahead. For instance, say your target is walking up to you and there is a close wall on your side. Instead of running up and killing your target, lock onto them, quickly climb up and smash :square:. Note that you don't have to climb up and be in a crouched position above your target. As long as you're hanging on the wall, you will get the acrobatic, so just climb as little as possible and execute the kill. Watch for any small fences around your target that can be used to quickly climb on. And last, landing from a jump - If you jump on a surface and immediately press :square:, it will count as acrobatic. There are small crates and barrels on the ground, if you climb on them you will stand and not crouch, but if you lock onto your target, climb and immediately execute the kill, your persona will make a jumping animation and that will be an acrobatic kill. Finally, if all fails, you can use throwing knives or smoke bomb to hold your target in place and allow you to quickly climb onto something and take them out. It might not be easy at first but with enough practice you will get at least one acrobatic each session.

* Stun - This is a skill you absolutely must master. Practice on identifying your pursuers, listen to whispers and play around with abilities such as charge, mute and smoke bomb until you master this. Here are some threads about stunning I suggest you to read:

Stun versus kill, The art of stunning, Stun timing

(Btw, a good way to practice your stunning skills is in the defensive round in Manhunt, where you only need to worry about stunning and won't be distracted by hunting your target.)

* Focus - Once a kill prompt :square: shows up above your target, a progress bar will start to fill up around the button. If you wait 3 seconds until the progress bar is full and then kill your target, you will receive a Focus bonus. One of the ways to get it is to roof your target from above while they're in a stationary position. Chances are, if they're in a blend group, they won't move hoping you will kill an NPC and give them a free Lure bonus. Another way is to stalk a moving target and slowly move behind them. Note that this isn't easy and you're at risk to be stunned. A better way would be to use throwing knives or an offensive smoke bomb, but make sure that you're locked onto your target and that you stand behind them (thus minimizing the chances to be stunned). If you're able to focus your target from above, try to be in a crouched position, thus earning both focus and acrobatic bonuses.

* Poison - You get poison ability once you reach level 29. You will probably need this to score 15 bonuses but if you're not level 29 yet, keep on practicing and maybe you'll get lucky. The trick with poison is that you need to get very close to your target for it to stick. Trying this without abilities is risky and you might end up being stunned before you succeed at applying it. A good timing to apply it is while your target is killing or stunning someone, or when they've been stunned and are lying helplessly on the ground. If you can't get lucky with it, throw an offensive smoke bomb and combine it with the Focus bonus. Make sure to lock onto your target just in case. Also note that you will get the bonuses that were available once you applied to poison - If you were using disguise while applying it, you will get hidden bonus even if the disguise ran off by the time your target died. Same goes for focus - If you focused your target after applying the poison, you won't get Focus bonus. Also, different types of poison won't count as different bonuses. *If you enter a chase and poison your target, the poison won't count.

You must practice and achieve those bonuses on a regular basis!

Those are 8 bonuses, half of the amount required for EV. Master them!

It isn't that hard (granted, depending on the lobby) and with enough practice those bonuses will be permanently on your list. Try to combine them and get Focus+Poison, Focus+Acrobatic, Hidden+Poison, Hidden+Acrobatic and etc.

Read more tips regarding those bonuses here.

A bit of luck:

Those are bonuses that require some luck but can still be achieved without much struggle.

* Lure - You get this bonus when your pursuer kills an NPC looking like you. If you're up against veterans they're less likely to fall for it, but you can increase your chances with abilities such as Morph and Decoy. You can trick your pursuer by using Morph on a stationary blend group and then sitting on a nearby bench. Your chances increase on the last 30 seconds of the match, where your pursuers are more likely to be careless and kill the nearest NPC that looks like you.

* Escape - Like Lure, if you're up against veterans, they're not likely to start a chase. That being said, if you see your pursuer, your target is not near and your abilities are on cooldown - just start running away, who knows, they might be reckless and chase you. A decoy might also be useful to trigger a chase, however be aware that if it works, your pursuer will likely to come back and chase you once the compass indicates that they're chasing a lure, so be sure to blend. And as with Lure, your chances increase on the last 30 seconds of the match.

* First Blood - Execute the first kill in a session. This bonus is given out only once in a session so try to get it. Note that this can be achieved also with a chase or a gun kill. Sprint boost ability can also be helpful.

A bit of skill and a lot of luck:

Those are hard to get bonuses that will require careful planning.

* Intercepted - Have your poisoned target being killed by another player before the poison takes effect. Your chances increase if you receive a target with 3 pursuers and use Slow Poison. Note that if you're trying for intercepted and already got poison, try to get it without using a smoke bomb, otherwise you will block other pursuers from killing your target.

* Mid-Air - Achieved by shooting a jumping target. Personally, I wouldn't count on this bonus. The hidden gun has a long cooldown, only gives out 100 points per kill and does not grant any of the Skill bonuses above. Not to mention that it requires an opponent inexperienced enough to jump when you aim at him. It's a waste of ability slot and you're better of going for Intercepted.

* Drop Kill - Grab your target from below while they're standing on a ledge (hang and press :square: without :r1:). This must be one of the hardest bonuses to execute. The range for a drop kill is small and your target is not likely to stand obliviously near a ledge. Each time you see a target on a roof, try to think if there is a way to get a drop kill. If you see an opportunity, by all means try and get it. In reality, this bonus is hard to pull off and requires a lot of time and planning, so don't count on it.

* Close Call - Bonus given for winning an escape while staying close your pursuer. You can't force your pursuer to chase you, but if they are, use the opportunity and try to blend close to them. Note that you will not get this bonus if you end the chase with a stun. If your pursuer is being chased by his pursuer and thus triggers a chase with you, you can try to risk it and follow them, hoping their pursuer will take your pursuer out while you're standing close.

Edited by rita_g

Just luck:

Those are bonuses that there is very little you can do to force them.

* Chain - Kill your target and escape your pursuer, or escape your pursuer and kill your target, in less than 10 seconds. You can try to run towards your target during the chase and stunning your pursuer when your target is close enough and then quickly take them. Easier said than done...

* Grounded - Kill a stunned target. This bonus is rare. If your target is on the ground, by all means - GO FOR IT. Rush towards them but don't enter a chase, otherwise it won't count. Do not attempt for a focus as grounded is rarer and you risk your target standing up. If you go for grounded+poison kill, make sure that your target has no other pursuers, or you might be intercepted and lose the grounded bonus.

* Savior - Kill your target when their target is near.

* Poacher - Kill your target when another pursuer of your target is near.

* Revenge - Kill the player that killed you last before anyone else. This is pure luck as you have no control over the contract the game gives you. However, try to remember who killed you last and if you get them as a target, try and do your best to take them out, perhaps even by a chase kill.

* Double Escape - Escape two pursuers.

* Triple Escape - Escape three pursuers.

Getting started:

First of all, as mentioned above, you must practice at achieving regularly the 8 skill bonuses listed above. Without them you rely on the luck bonuses towards your EV, and as you've probably noticed, they're not exactly easy to pull off. Even with the 8 skill bonuses, you still need 7 of the luck ones, so do your best obtaining as many skill bonuses as possible and thus leaving less for chance.

Don't panic though, it might not be easy but it's definitely not impossible.

You will easily be getting Variety (5 bonuses) every game if you start tracking your bonuses and paying attention what you already got and what else you need. With a bit practice, you will start earning most of the skill bonuses every game and getting Greater Variety (10 bonuses) with some of the luck bonuses.

Keep playing and reach the point where you can get GV fairly easily. From there the road to EV is just a matter of time and it will happen eventually.

Adjusting play style:

You need to be fairly quick when working towards EV. There are many bonuses to earn so you better get moving. As long as you don't hear whispers, run towards your target (as long as they don't see you!), don't waste precious time. Especially if you have no pursuers.

Use this thread to help you out with some tricks at identifying your blended target + spotting NPCs/players.

Once the whispers start, start actively seeking out your pursuer. This might take some practice but you will get better at identifying your pursuer with time. You will need to be more aggressive and actively stunning your pursuers. This will not only keep you alive and save you time, but also give you more points.

Higher score = higher place = more pursuers = more opportunities for stuns, lures and escapes.

Quality over Quantity!

I can't stress this enough. Running around makes you visible not only to your pursuers, but also to your target.

Do not underestimate your target. With time you will get better and start actively seeking out your pursuers and punching them in the face with pleasure. Then you will notice how easy it is to stun a pursuer that is carelessly running around. Learn to blend not only away from your pursuer, but also from your target. Remember, you only need one discreet kill for EV, and you get no bonuses for starting chases, so why bother? Don't run around your target unless you get some bonus out of it.

Keeping track of the bonuses:

Personally I try and remember only the basic 8 skill bonuses + lure, since I have little control over the rest. Discreet, silent, incognito will be easy to remember, and you can rename your profile sets with bonus names to help you remember the rest, such as 'poison,focus' on a profile with poison+smoke bomb, or 'hidden,stun' on RR disguise+charge.

Setting up profile sets:

I strongly suggest making different profile sets that allow you score easier different bonuses. I like to keep one slot for a bonus and one slot for defense, for instance poison+smoke bomb, that can be used for poison+focus or stun if I run into my pursuer. Or for example RR disguise+charge for hidden and stun, or RR decoy+mute for lure and stun, and etc.

Play around with the different defensive abilities (smoke bomb, charge, mute, decoy, morph) and pick out what suits for you. I personally love mute but often use smoke bomb since it has a lower cooldown. Experiment and pick your favorites.

Other Tips:

Recommend Videos:

There are some great videos of people achieving EV on youtube, I hope they will give you some inspiration :) Make sure to check out Templar Training Guide by loomer, his videos are great and very helpful.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[ame=

]
[/ame] Edited by rita_g

Final Words:

I hope this guide has been helpful to you. I know that EV is a tough cookie, but believe me, if you keep on practicing and get to the point where you get GV on a regular basis - EV is just a matter of time.

I have so far two EV and those tips and tricks are what helped me to achieve it. My first EV came in the worst match I've ever had, at which I got 6 bonuses in the last 30 seconds. You can never know how the match turns out so don't lose hope and don't give up!

Keep practicing and it will happen eventually :)

Opinions and suggestions are more than welcomed and appreciated.

Hope I helped :)

Edited by rita_g

* Hidden - You will receive a hidden bonus if you kill your target while being blended in group, hiding in a hay stack or using Strong Disguise/Rapid Reload Disguise. You need to enter the blend group only for a second to acquire hidden status, and you will remain hidden for a split second after you exist the group, so make sure that your target is close. Note that you will need to stay longer (for about two seconds) in a hay stack to obtain hidden status, if you jump out earlier it won't count. And finally, SD and RR disguise will grant you a free hidden bonus once you make the kill, as long as the kill is Silent or Incognito. I managed to receive hidden while being discreet but it was rare, most of the times I got only discreet, without hidden.

One thing I'd add is the little trick that works perfectly in AC: Brotherhood (and no longer works in AC: Revelations). If your target is hiding in a hay stack, don't just hit the kill button, but instead jump into the hay stack. This pushes out your target and if you spam the kill button then, you will grab your target and instantly get the Hidden bonus, too.

As for getting a "free" Hidden on Discreet kills, yeah, it seems pretty inconsistent. I definitely remember getting a Hidden on a Discreet kill once, just using an evolved version of Disguise (so without actually having blended), but most of the time, you won't get it once you drop to Discreet.

Guide looks good, I have nothing much to add, except maybe a list of how I've always prioritized my bonuses. Some bonuses require too much setting up or just too much luck and/or time to be worth it, so specifically going for them might prevent people from getting Extreme Variety.

Top priority

* First Blood: if you can get this, you have the one bonus that's only awarded once every match. Make it a top priority and always grab the chance when you get it. If a perfect opportunity presents itself for a Focus Poison kill as your first kill of the match, do consider taking it, but realize you will probably lose First Blood.

* Acrobatic: if the map is in your favor, you should definitely try to get this one out of the way as soon as possible. After all, if you are in the lead and take to the roofs for an Acrobatic, you will pull two or three other players to the rooftops. If that happens late in the match, you'll create a cycle of other players going to the roofs, making it harder for you to get some of the bonuses.

No priority

* Double / Triple Escape: you need two or three players who are rookie enough that they're willing to chase you at the same time and who are also rookie enough that you can shake them. I've played over a 1000 matches of ACB and I believe I've only gotten six Triple Escapes... and five of those were in Manhunt.

* Mid-Air: don't bother, seriously, just don't. You need to use the Hidden Gun, an ability with a big cooldown and minimum points and most players are smart enough not to jump when they hear the sound of a gun being aimed at them.

* Drop Kill: for this bonus to happen, your target needs to be above you. And stand (or walk) close to the edge of the elevated surface. And not see you coming. Chances of this happening at the same time are fairly slim. Take it if you can get it, but don't waste time setting up a Drop Kill.

* Intercepted: don't keep going for this one if you've already gotten the Poison bonus. If you get it on your first Poison attempt, sure, happily take it, but don't keep using Poison if you've already have the regular bonus.

All the other bonuses are fair game. :)

I believe that there is already a list compiled by another user that's sticky'd to this forum, but this could come in handy as well. It doesn't actually matter which bonuses you get and in what order, many players have been able to achieve AEOTM without actually trying.

But anyhow, good work on the guide.

One thing I'd add is the little trick that works perfectly in AC: Brotherhood (and no longer works in AC: Revelations). If your target is hiding in a hay stack, don't just hit the kill button, but instead jump into the hay stack. This pushes out your target and if you spam the kill button then, you will grab your target and instantly get the Hidden bonus, too.

As for getting a "free" Hidden on Discreet kills, yeah, it seems pretty inconsistent. I definitely remember getting a Hidden on a Discreet kill once, just using an evolved version of Disguise (so without actually having blended), but most of the time, you won't get it once you drop to Discreet.

Ohh, that's a nice trick :) Gotta lock onto your target first? If you lock on the hay stack and he jumps out, will the lock remain on the player or on the hay stack?

And yeah, I got a hidden discreet yesterday (using disguise) so it's very possible, but I think it's more of a glitch. It rarely happens. Thanks for the other tips :)

I believe that there is already a list compiled by another user that's sticky'd to this forum, but this could come in handy as well. It doesn't actually matter which bonuses you get and in what order, many players have been able to achieve AEOTM without actually trying.

But anyhow, good work on the guide.

Thanks :) There is a list in the AEOTM guide but it's a boosting guide so there are no tips how to achieve each bonus.

Edited by rita_g

Ohh, that's a nice trick :) Gotta lock onto your target first? If you lock on the hay stack and he jumps out, will the lock remain on the player or on the hay stack?

If you lock onto a haystack and the player jumps out, attacking either one will give you a kill. Sometimes the lock follows the player, sometimes not (depending on how fast you're reacting), but every time I've done it I've had a kill.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that little detail. Lock the hay stack and the lock will switch to your target once you push him out. That actually still works in Revelations, too, except you no longer get the Hidden bonus (you need to be in the hay stack longer).

many players have been able to achieve AEOTM without actually trying.

I sure wasn't one of them. ;)

Extreme Variety is by far the hardest bonus to get and it took me forever to finally bag it. Not only do you need to be able to consistently win FFA matches like Wanted, you'll have to have matches where everything goes your way, too.

Extreme Variety is by far the hardest bonus to get and it took me forever to finally bag it. Not only do you need to be able to consistently win FFA matches like Wanted, you'll have to have matches where everything goes your way, too.

And matches where the players are both good enough to stay on the ground yet careless enough to start chasing you. :p

A lobby with roofers is a sure way to kill the chances for EV. My EV came in Forli and Florence, but surprisingly enough, none of the players ran on the roofs, despite being heavily roofed maps. I doubt I'd get it if they went up as I switch to a defensive mode when it happens and lay low.

It's a shame no measurement against roofers was made in ACR. Perhaps stronger abilities than throwing knives and a gun, or a nice bonus for shooting a target that has been more than X seconds on a roof, while you're on the ground, something like that :p

Edited by rita_g

I sure wasn't one of them. ;)

It definitely is the hardest, can't disagree with that. I was actually able to get mine in Alliance some few weeks after I had boosted it for the trophy... ironic how I always get everything when I don't need theme anymore lol

It definitely is the hardest, can't disagree with that. I was actually able to get mine in Alliance some few weeks after I had boosted it for the trophy... ironic how I always get everything when I don't need theme anymore lol

Pretty logical, people have the tendency to get nervous and screw things up xD Already having it takes the pressure off. :p

It's a shame no measurement against roofers was made in ACR.

There is, but it's subtle: they increased the bonus for a Drop Kill (and called it a Grab Kill instead) to a staggering 450 points. I think it's a bit too subtle to keep people from roofing all the time, but it can net you some nice scores when you are hunting the players who are doing it.

• 2 years later...

Good guide, it helped me a lot. EV si the only bonus i need for AEOTM and I my best game was 14 different bonuses. If only I had RR Disguise to get the Hidden bonus. Anyway, I completed the challenge to get RR Disguise and now I'm trying to achieve EV with this checklist:

1. First Blood

2. Discreet

3. Silent

4. Incognito (i usually do it with Poison)

5. Poison

6. Hidden (RR Disguise)

7. Focus (LL Smoke Bomb)

8. Acrobatic

9. Lure (Morph)

10. Stun

11. Escape

The remaining 4 bonuses are depending on luck. I'm usually trying to get Close Call by hiding in a blend group and droping a Smoke Bomb to make my pursuer unable to do anything, but I don't stun him to get the bonus. I also try to get the Revenge bonus everytime I see that my target is the player that killed me last time. Then I'm just hoping to get Poacher, Savior, Intercepted, Grounded or Chain. It's really an annoying bonus this EV, so I hope i'll get it soon.

• 3 weeks later...