Downhill Peak

Lintarius

I am having the hardest time completing the payoff of this level. It is the only thing I am missing to getting the gold. I can't seem to get enough wall ride points. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone who has accomplished this, any tips or hints? Thanks.

Hey, if you're still having trouble, try this. Similar to the goal where you have to get x amount of speed points, I figured why not try putting acceleration all the way up to stay on the wall longer since you're not going as fast. By doing this I was just able to get enough points by avoiding the speed pads on the walls and staying on them as long as possible.

The only problem with this though is that you end up taking longer to finish the race which puts you in danger of not getting third place. Try to be in at least 5th or 6th position by the time you reach the goal and then boost like mad to the finish.

I also had some trouble with the x amount of spin points on the last level in this tour. Unless I was missing another jump I barely got enough to get that one done.

Glad that tour is over as I hear the big city one is easier. Good luck with it :dance:

Thanks for the reply. I will give that it a try. I found that the drivers are much more relentless in Arctic Tour. I already cleared the Big City Tour, and that is a lot easier.

Yeah the last one with all those jumps gave me quite the headache. I eventually got it, but you really can't screw up any jumps. I found it easiest to use the first shortcut and skip the second two. While you do kill your lead, you can get an extra spin (two if you time it right); and you can get a guaranteed 3 with the two jumps; taking shortcut #3 guarantees you two (you can get a third on the second jump, it is just a lot harder).

• 6 months later...

I really struggled with this too, took me 20-30 attempts. I had +1 drift and even acceleration/speed. I found it best to hang at the back until the first pick up where you'd naturally get a boost (green) then drive at my best until the wall ride section. Hopefully I'd be about 7th by then. At the wall ride I'd go slow and drift at the same time, trying to avoid the boosters on the ground and getting two more pick ups (so ending up with a lvl 3 green). If I didn't have over 1000 wall ride points I'd start again because I normally couldn't get enough points on the next two laps when I was trying to catch up with the other racers.

I'm still not sure exactly how you accumulate wall ride points and I tried to look on google, but I couldn't find anything about it. I think it's the amount of time you spend on the wall itself, but I can't confirm that. Anyway hope this helps someone else.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Edit: As is the nature of these things, posting a lengthy complaint about how you can't do something results in you being able to do the thing. Here's the method that eventually worked for me. Keep in mind that this game is 95% rubber banding, cheating B.S., so your results may vary.

I had my tuning set to max handling, max acceleration under the theory that it would help me keep fine control on the walls; in the end I'm not sure if it helped or not, so experiment to see what works for you. For the first two laps, I ran as close to the top of the walls as I could without flying off (OK, I flew off pretty often), and used the boost I built up from drifting and the first big jump to keep my speed up in between boost panels. I could sometimes get in the 900-1000 point range each lap without falling all the way behind. My last lap I ran closer to the middle of the wall, on account of needing speed over points. The last thing that helped me was knowing when to use my weapons. Try to get a level 3 weapon, and fire it off just as you're coming off the second wall. It tends to hit your enemies just as they're coming off the second big jump. Too much earlier or later and it will hit them while they're in the middle of the second or third jumps, and that's not going to slow them down at all.

I had two devastating, close 4th place finishes before I finally got it. I haven't finished the third DLC circuit or the last base game circuit yet, but of the challenges I've completed so far this one has been the most taxing. Good luck to everyone still going for the Ice Cool Champion trophy, 'cause you're going to need it.

Original rant:

I'm going to have to revive this thread 5 years after the fact, because I have no idea how to do this either. I feel like I'm trying to put together a puzzle while missing a few pieces. The only other challenge that's given me nearly this much trouble was getting 40,000 spin points on Terraced Drop, until I realized that I had to tune my kart all the way towards acceleration to make up for all the off-roading you need to do to get to the jump ramps. But no amount of tuning seems to make a difference on this track.

As far as I can tell, there are only three areas on this track you can get wall run points, and they're all in between the first and second large jumps. They're on the left, then the right, then the left again. The speed you're travelling doesn't matter, only the distance does. You can get a higher score by wiggling back and forth on the wall (for instance, by avoiding the boost pads).

My problem is I can't simultaneously get enough points and finish third or better. If I take my time to get enough points, I always fall back to 12th place, and then even with a warp I can't finish better than 6th. If I rush on the walls as fast as possible (and can manage to stay on as opposed to flying up into the air) I fall from 1st to 6th, but only manage ~840 points per lap, not enough to get 2800 by the end.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Because otherwise I'm not sure how this challenge is supposed to be possible.

Edited by Gethron
Got it!