The difficulty increases right?

morris118

Got to the point of the career where I can play grand slams and I have now gone out to both Nadal and Djokovic and they completely destroyed me, yet earlier in the career I beat both of these with ease in Masters competitions.

What's the point of selecting a difficulty level if it's just going to increase as you progress!!? :mad:

Got to the point of the career where I can play grand slams and I have now gone out to both Nadal and Djokovic and they completely destroyed me, yet earlier in the career I beat both of these with ease in Masters competitions.

What's the point of selecting a difficulty level if it's just going to increase as you progress!!? :mad:

The difficulty does not increase with more important tournaments, i found slam matches just as easy as minor tournaments, just keep trying, perhaps you're trying to hard? Keep to your natural game and you will win!

Keep going!!

I am having a similar problem Djokovic , Daveydenko and Murray beat me in the slams . I can't believe Daveydenko beat me as I beat him when my player was like level 7 lol. What difficulty are you playing on ?

There's definitely a difference! :mad: Since I've made this thread I've continued to beat Nadal in Masters Tournaments but as soon as a Grand Slam comes up, I'm defeated with ease! Felt like it happened again in ATP Finals, won every group match without dropping a game even beat Nadal again, got to the semi's and destroyed!

:( Spoiling the fun!

EDIT: After continuing to play on through career, it seems that things get insanely difficult at the semi-final point. In previous Grand Slams I had easily beaten Murray in earlier rounds, just played him in the semi-final of the Australian Open and he beat me with ease, think I earned about 2 points in total. :(

Edited by morris118

There's definitely a difference! :mad: Since I've made this thread I've continued to beat Nadal in Masters Tournaments but as soon as a Grand Slam comes up, I'm defeated with ease! Felt like it happened again in ATP Finals, won every group match without dropping a game even beat Nadal again, got to the semi's and destroyed!

:( Spoiling the fun!

EDIT: After continuing to play on through career, it seems that things get insanely difficult at the semi-final point. In previous Grand Slams I had easily beaten Murray in earlier rounds, just played him in the semi-final of the Australian Open and he beat me with ease, think I earned about 2 points in total. :(

What difficulty are you playing on ? It seems the top players raise there game for the important matches . I'm having trouble beating Djokovic in slams his ros serve is unbelievable he is almost unplayable . But if I play against him in exhibition match using Nadal I completely destroy him lol.

What difficulty are you playing on ? It seems the top players raise there game for the important matches . I'm having trouble beating Djokovic in slams his ros serve is unbelievable he is almost unplayable . But if I play against him in exhibition match using Nadal I completely destroy him lol.

I'm playing on Normal. I can beat any player easily in any competition even Grand Slams apart from Grand Slam semi-finals (and I would assume final, but have never got there) where they become impossible.

I'm playing on Normal. I can beat any player easily in any competition even Grand Slams apart from Grand Slam semi-finals (and I would assume final, but have never got there) where they become impossible.

You should play on Very Hard Djokovic is ridiculous to play against in the slams lol. I find the players have got better in the masters finals too , it's a gd challenge just making trophies take ages lol

Yes, they level up the difficulty in grand slams to hard after you reach semi-final. It's a way telling you come on you need to improve more!

So to get a grand slam champion on very hard difficulty is very hard..... I could not do it. It's good they don't require 100% outfit unlock.

How far did you get in a slam on very hard ? My best result is the finals where I lost 4-2 3-1 to Djokovic . I was 2-1 30-0 in the 1st and suddenly Djokovic became unplayable lol . I am gonna keep trying I really want to unlock expert mode :D

• 2 months later...

Getting annoyed. Played my first grand slam, had no trouble whatsoever. Playing my second one, same until the quarters. Now all of a sudden, everything I was doing before is faulting. I used to get faults once or twice a game, but now, every shot near enough faults. Managed to win my quarter, dominated first set in the semi but lost 3-1 and then 10-7 on the end thing.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump and all, but I just came across this as well.

I get into the semis with 3-0, 3-0 poundings where I'm just trying to do inside out and drop shot winners for the trophies.... then I get to the semis and Federer has pounded the fuck out of me three months in a row whenever I get to a slam semi.

-French Open I lost 0-3, 2-4. (after being up 2-0, 40-love in the second he went into God mode)

-Dublin Open I lost 0-3, 0-3. Had no chance, was just too angry at what was happening

-ATP World Finals I lost 2-4, 2-4. (first set up 2-1 and he went God mode, second set he was up 2-0 and I tied it and I'm sure you get the pattern by now)

-(edit 1) US Open, again it's Federer. 0-3, 4-2 (10-7). First set he drops a golden set on me (as in, I won no points at all). Second set was down 2-0, and actually won four sets in a row when I discovered a quirk in his game. Was tied 5-5 in the STB and i mistimed 3 shots and that was that. Lost 10-7. But still... maybe I'm too impatient and need to keep plugging away. Probably so. Oh and I changed coaches to have fatality and return serve counter skills. (I realize nobody cares but...)

-(edit 2) Australian open. First, it should be noted I deleted my character and remade him more to what I wanted, 1/3/16 splits with Samala as my gold coach. Then had to go through all the requirements tediously again. Anyways... James Blake, 4-3, 3-0, I won. Blake and I split serves in the first and I beat him in the tie break 7-3 or something. Second set he was out of stamina and pretty easy pickings. FINALS. Novak Djokovic. 4-2, 4-2. Was expecting to get crushed but used a strategy from the top spin super guide to always return a powered top spin back at his serve to avoid his easy winners and I guess it worked alright. I also have a new serving strategy (as in, just as of this tourney) that worked well. We both broke each other and held serves. I was up 2-0 in first and he came back to tie before I managed to get it back together. 2nd set I was down 2-0 and came back to win four straight. They seem to have Novak make a LOT of unforced errors on his reach shots which is a bit odd but I guess this came out right before his historical run. He also seems to take bad risks that don't pay off sometimes. So I'm thrilled I won a slam, but I'm not sure if it's because I re-did my guy or because I didn't have to face Roger. Probably some of both. I still fear Roger, and probably should fear Rafa as well...

Also, my play style is baseline defense but, first off, I didn't put EVERY skill advance into it so my player just isn't very good at anything in particular... and have access to gold coaches with bonuses that are pretty close to worthless- which is some of the stupidest shit I've ever heard of really. And second, I got Federer to zero stamina over and over and over and it had no effect on his wind or accuracy to hit impossible angles at a dead sprint. And last, if I don't hit good or perfect it's a fault, and when I do hit those and have not got my feet set and waiting (which is basically never) then it always goes dead center no matter where I aim with perfect timing.... thus taking away having any control in the game.

This was long winded... but these are some examples of what has just got to be the laziest programming I've ever seen. Slam semis and up it goes up 1 or 2 difficulties, computer unaffected by adverse conditions, worthless return shots unless you've got your feet set like you're playing baseball, skill progression being utterly pointless unless you do one thing and one thing only, no access to good coach boosts for the same reason.... I didn't even mention the serving.

Off to try again on the women's side boosting only one skill and see what happens. This game may end up being sold back in under a month. Disappointing as I had been having a lot of fun until this.

Edited by justindt79
editing in progress in slam semis/finals

The game isn't too bad difficulty wise, I play on hard but only because I played Top Spin 3 to death. I do however agree that come semis the difficulty ramps up immensely. Your best bet is to stick to your natural game, avoid mixing up your game too much, like become a serve volley player unless you usually do or have decent volleying ability, because chances are you'll be out of your depth more than you'll win the point. I guess I have a bit more of an advantage to you guys by the sounds of the other posts because I play full length matches. Having said that it means I also have to play longer to get a win, which is probably why I've improved a lot over the course of the game. For those of you struggling, I'd stick with it because for once this is a tennis game that is as near to perfect simulation as I can find in terms of career and gameplay. Good luck!

The semi's up the difficulty by one level... so if you're on hard it goes to very hard, medium to hard etc. There is a difficulty above very hard called expert which is what it goes to in the semis, and you unlock if you win a tournament on that difficulty.

IT's not THAT hard on expert, you just have to know how the ai acts more then play skillful lol.

That makes sense. Also, thanks to Cydonian, as I'm glad I stuck with it. I edited in a bunch to my first post just for little progress things for my own entertainment.

Now that I've got more familiarity, I still dislike the sudden jump as it takes one totally unawares. It'd be nice if the quarters were a 1/2 jump or something to make it more gradual instead of beating people basically blind-folded with your off hand and then being dropped into that madness. I still dislike the lack of access to gold coaches unless you luck into it really (I used the Top Spin Super Guide so I knew the unlock order to access Samala which is lame to need to do). I don't think my return shots being worthless was the games fault per se... I just didn't understand the level system well and ended up an all around, which, unfortunately, is really utterly worthless against the top shelf in this game it seems like. The computer was "unaffected" by bad conditions... well, I haven't played Roger again, but I assume I didn't put him in bad enough conditions and/or often enough to actually say that. Stamina does seem to effect the computer, but it appears to be exclusively on effort shots, which is kind of odd. And I still wish aces and big services existed more in the game (they have Murray as being awful for instance, and he's far from it, he should be incredibly hard to return, and Roddick should be acing quite often with his serve/power stats but barely ever does against me).

I'm ranting again. Point is, I was overly harsh on the game. Has some faults, but sticking with it was worth it as it's incredibly fun.

Edited by justindt79