Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

Reviewer: ConorBuckley

Developer: Naughty Dog

Publisher: Sony

Format: PS3

Genre: Action-Adventure

Age Rating: 16+

Introduction

Hi everyone!! I'm back with my second review and I have decided to review Uncharted: Drakes Fortune. I'm still pretty new to writing game reviews, so, could you please leave your honest feedback. I hope you enjoy my Uncharted review.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2115/2008765665_eaa93f3d12.jpg

Review

I got Uncharted: Drakes Fortune for Christmas, having deeply anticipated it since the first video was released. I was prepared to be blown away in most areas, and, yes, I was, and still am, very impressed, mainly the graphics, storyline and controls.

The presentation is top-notch in all aspects of the game. From the gently swaying leaves in the golden sunset to the splashing waves crashing against the sizzling rocks on the cliffs edge, this has to be one of the most realistic looking games on the market. The variation in level design is astounding, you won't go five levels without a complete overhaul in the enviornment around you.

The controls are simple, versatile and fluid. The transition from jump, jump to shoot, shoot is smooth. A few minutes in ad you'll have the hang of the controls. The cover system is what impressed me the most, it's so simple, but yet so effective. It is similar to the cover system that was used in Gears of War.

On the easier difficulties, the A.I is a tad bit screwy. I've only played through Uncharted on easy and I'm playing through it on normal now, but it it severly lacking sometimes. They know how to flank, sure, but do they know when they are flanked? Not really. I noticed this mainly when with Elaina - the goons will foolishly take cover when you are to their side or behind them, only to be shot down momentarily and leaving the player feeling bemused by it all. Their voice bank is also kind of unadvanced. Why would a lone pirate shout "he's here", or anything such as that anyway? It takes away any stealth in the game. This does not affect the gameplay in any way, it's just a little niggle I had.

The story is one of the best I've ever seen in a game. The story plays out excellently and has some of the best pacing I have ever seen. The twists are actually surprising at points, such as the revelation about the Spaniards near the end of the game. Character development is decent. Well, it's non-existent bar a few key characters, but it is not missed. Navarro descends into a downward spiral, Sully learns how to care for his friends, Elena learns what is beyond "the story". Nathan softens up a bit. Everyone else is two-dimensional.

There are no major bugs or errors really. The game does freeze in the chapter "The Heart of the Vault", when you're running and gunning against the (SPOILER) mutants(SPOILER). Thank goodness for auto-save... That's the only real mistake, another little annoyance is detection. I realize how difficult it would be to design a game with perfect synch with the controller, but it's fustrating to die because the game doesn't fire my shots seconds after pulling the trigger, allowing me to drift into barrels on the rapids or be gunned down by a fat man sporting a massive shotgun on his shoulder. These gladly happen very rarely.

Closing Comments

Overall, the good outweighs the bad in this near perfect game. Naughty Dog will have to improve on a few little things for the sequel (if there is a sequel). Uncharted, well and truly is a cinemantic experience, an immersive storyline, characters you actually care about, beautiful in motion and super easy to get into. This is a must buy game for anyone that owns a PS3.

Ratings

Gameplay - 92%

Presentation - 96%

Graphics - 89%

Sound - 79%

Lasting Appeal - 74%

Overall Score - 93%

You should really play trough games on only the hardest difficulty. Which isnt that hard on this game.

And I dont understand your overall score. Since it should really be the average of the others. Which is 86. But I do agree that it is a good game. I will play trough it on the extra difficulty that got locked up when finished the game.

You should really play trough games on only the hardest difficulty. Which isnt that hard on this game.

And I dont understand your overall score. Since it should really be the average of the others. Which is 86. But I do agree that it is a good game. I will play trough it on the extra difficulty that got locked up when finished the game.

I don't really like the 'overal = average' system. I prefer to give the game an overall rating that has nothing to do with theother scores.

You should play games to have fun. I started on medium on this game, but ended up doing hard and crushing to. If I had started on Hard, I'd probably stop playing it.

And why should he base his score on someone elses? That doesn't make any sense at all. Then it wouldn't be a point to review it in the first place.

Good review and on par with what I would give it over all. I think the trophies will add alot to the lasting appeal (not sure if u thought about that before the review or not).

For your next review you should give an average of your scores plus the OVERALL score you think the game deserves, much like you I beleive Overall score should be seperate from average.

You should play games to have fun. I started on medium on this game, but ended up doing hard and crushing to. If I had started on Hard, I'd probably stop playing it.

I played through it on easy first so I could relax and play through the game slowly so I could take note of stuff for my review.

Good review and on par with what I would give it over all. I think the trophies will add alot to the lasting appeal (not sure if u thought about that before the review or not).

For your next review you should give an average of your scores plus the OVERALL score you think the game deserves, much like you I beleive Overall score should be seperate from average.

I wrote this review a few months ago on a different site so I didn't know about trophies.

• 3 months later...
I played through it on easy first so I could relax and play through the game slowly so I could take note of stuff for my review.

I wrote this review a few months ago on a different site so I didn't know about trophies.

The problem with doing it on easy mode is you're not getting a feel for the proper game. You're also only going to cater to the "bottom-feeders" (and that sounds very wrong but isn't meant to be.)

By playing on hard/normal you're getting an insight into the actual game at its core particularly the AI tactics et al.

Leave out spoilers or make them extremely vague. You also need to expand on the graphics, gameplay, controls. Ok you're blown away by it all cos they look pretty and it's easy cos you're on easy (dur) but you're giving me a very BRIEF overview of what the game is. It reads like a preview not a REview, I'm looking for information on the game so I can justify a purchase and I'm not seeing it there.

If you do continue with reviewing keep to the essay rule of "Never say I" in the future. ;)

Hope that helps.

agreed .. spoilers should never ever ever be included in reviews its like saying hey buy this game .. becuase everyone is going to die in chapter 9 .. etc. The mutants kind of play a large part in this title .. should not include that mann.

Yeh because its a nice suprise when people actually find out about them, It was for me anyway:p

• 2 weeks later...