Can i play missions on hard in any order?

I might be finding out about this myself pretty soon, too.

As I noted elsewhere, I played the first seven Chapters on Hard and then I hit a snag in Chapter 8, where wave after wave of enemies kept doing me in because of my own bad upgrades (I never invested much in shields or combat moves, just in health). Realizing I might need the Focused Attack to make my life a little less frustrating, I went back to grind Tech Orbs using Chapter Select from the beginning... and without really thinking things through, I hit 'Normal' as the difficulty level.

So at this very moment:

* I finished Chapter 1 through Chapter 7 on Hard;

* Replayed and finished Chapter 1 through Chapter 5 on Normal (still ongoing).

I will keep grinding until I get enough orbs for the Focused Attack and at that point, I want to pick up the Hard playthrough again, starting with Chapter 8. If I continue and finish the game, I should get the trophy for Hard. In theory. I haven't found a single confirmation anywhere online if it actually works this way... so fingers crossed.

I might be finding out about this myself pretty soon, too.

As I noted elsewhere, I played the first seven Chapters on Hard and then I hit a snag in Chapter 8, where wave after wave of enemies kept doing me in because of my own bad upgrades (I never invested much in shields or combat moves, just in health). Realizing I might need the Focused Attack to make my life a little less frustrating, I went back to grind Tech Orbs using Chapter Select from the beginning... and without really thinking things through, I hit 'Normal' as the difficulty level.

So at this very moment:

* I finished Chapter 1 through Chapter 7 on Hard;

* Replayed and finished Chapter 1 through Chapter 5 on Normal (still ongoing).

I will keep grinding until I get enough orbs for the Focused Attack and at that point, I want to pick up the Hard playthrough again, starting with Chapter 8. If I continue and finish the game, I should get the trophy for Hard. In theory. I haven't found a single confirmation anywhere online if it actually works this way... so fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Well, you can just start a new journey and it will keep every stat you've previously had down to masks and orbs. As per your question, I would think you would be able to do that because I mean, it does give you the option to change the difficulty and it auto-saves constantly. If it doesn't work... That sure would be a waste of time and it would be pretty weak.

I would think you would be able to do that because I mean, it does give you the option to change the difficulty and it auto-saves constantly. If it doesn't work... That sure would be a waste of time and it would be pretty weak.

Exactly. It would've helped if they had added a line like "Completed on [difficulty level]" for every individual Chapter. At least then we'd be sure it would work like that.

As an update to my post above, I've simply kept on playing on Normal. I want to test if the difficulty trophies work even if you went back in Chapter Select and played on a lower difficulty for a bit (like I did, because I felt I needed the Focused Attack in Chapter 8 on Hard)... but if it doesn't work, I would find out only after playing Chapters 8 through 14 on Hard without getting anything for it. And let me tell you, that would suck. ;)

So here's what's what.

My current save game has had this path:

* Chapter 1-7 completed on Hard;

* Used Chapter Select to grind Tech Orbs;

* Chapter 1-13 completed on Normal.

And here's what I'm going to do to test how the difficulty trophies work:

* Use Chapter Select to play one random early Chapter on Easy;

* Complete Chapter 14 (and the game) on Normal.

This way, I will have simulated what I've done before when I went from Hard to Normal, but this time I will only have to play the very final bit of the game to test our theory.

If this gives me the trophies for both the Easy and the Normal playthrough, then the game does keep track of what Chapters you've completed on what difficulty and it would be safe for me to continue with my Hard playthrough from Chapter 8.

If not... well, then we're doomed. ;)

ive been changing difficulty from hard back to easy to level up and then going back to hard on the same chapter

im pritty much done now think im on the last chapter so ill give you a heads up when its done

Okay, cool, so we're doing pretty much the same thing then. I'm very curious to see if this is going to work out and we both get our trophies despite having switched difficulty settings a few times.

Thanks to a (semi) free day, I had some time to continue the big experiment and finish the game.

To reiterate: on my save game, I completed Chapters 1 through 7 on Hard and then, going back to farm Tech Orbs using Chapter Select, I completed Chapters 1 through 13 on Normal. Today, went back and randomly played three chapters on Easy using Chapter Select (I ended up playing Chapters 2, 3 and 6 for some additional trophies) and then used Chapter Select to "continue" my playthrough on Normal, starting Chapter 14.

So I finished the game, got to the credits and... I got the trophies for both Easy and Normal.

In other words, the game does keep track of what chapters you have completed on what difficulty level and you won't mess up a playthrough by going back to farm on a lower difficulty level.

The only thing I don't know is if you need to do Chapter 14 last to get the trophies. I remember Uncharted 2, after all. Other than that, you're safe and you don't need to start a "New Journey" if you have been jumping around through chapters.

Hi Moving On, thanks for the test. But I have some concern here. You started the game on hard and switched to normal/easy later on. The game might just have registered on "hard" when you started the new game and we know playing on hard will grant you trophies for both easy and normal. So you get the trophies for playing both normal and easy with no question (assumably).

So now is the problem:

If I start and finish the new game with "normal" and replay chapters on hard, does the game still recognize my hard play through? In other words, the game registered on "normal" once I chose normal difficulty at the main menu. I may have to start a new game on hard (not thru chapter select) for the trophy.

If I start and finish the new game with "normal" and replay chapters on hard, does the game still recognize my hard play through? In other words, the game registered on "normal" once I chose normal difficulty at the main menu. I may have to start a new game on hard (not thru chapter select) for the trophy.

This is why I played some chapters on Easy on purpose. I tried to see if the game would get confused about what chapters I had completed on what difficulty, but in the end, when I played the final chapter and ended the game on Normal, I only got the trophies for Easy and Normal, the two difficulty levels for which I had done all the chapters.

Since I got the trophy for Normal even after replaying several chapters on Easy through Chapter Select, it sounds very likely I will get the trophy for Hard, too, when I use Chapter Select to go back to the point I had previously reached on Hard.

Still... it would've been so much easier if the game had just added one little line that said "Chapter completed on Easy/Normal/Hard". ;)

Can confirm above. Just finished on hard moving few other chapters on easy etc to look for remaining orbs and i have received trophy.

Just going by Chapter Select ... it looks like the difficulties done are shown for you. For example, if you finished the normal, both "easy" and "normal" are shown. However, "hard" is hidden unless you explicitly go to it.

Just going by Chapter Select ... it looks like the difficulties done are shown for you. For example, if you finished the normal, both "easy" and "normal" are shown. However, "hard" is hidden unless you explicitly go to it.

This is interesting. I have had a quick look at that before, but I haven't paid attention to whether or not "Hard" was hidden when you first open Chapter Select. Will check it out tomorrow... by now I have finished Chapters 1-10 on Hard and Chapters 1-14 on Normal, so I should be able to see a difference, then.

I was just too curious about this, so I decided to check it out real quick just now.

And it's true.

When you go in Chapter Select and pick a chapter, you get to pick your difficulty, but for the chapters I have yet to complete on Hard, the word "Hard" is not visibile until you actually scroll down to highlight it.

So that will be a big help!

One caveat, though: when I selected the Chapter I had just started on (in other words, I had only seen the first cutscene and hadn't actually played it on Hard yet), "Hard" was visible. So in the end, you still have to remember whether or not you actually finished a chapter on a given difficulty level, because the game will only let you know whether or not you started it.

By now, I've finished my Hard playthrough and despite using Chapter Select numerous times, switching difficulty numerous times to get some orbs and the chase trophies and then going back in Chapter Select to wrap up Chapter 13 and Chapter 14... I got the Hard trophy. So that's another definite confirmation. :)

I think so, yes. My memory may be fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure the game didn't let me start chapters (on Hard) if I hadn't completed the previous chapter on Hard.

Back when I had completed Chapters 1-7 on Hard and 1-14 on Normal, I could go into Chapter Select and even though the word "Hard" wasn't immediately visible for the chapters I had not completed on that difficulty, I could scroll down and it would appear.

Now I have not actually tried selecting "Hard" for, say, Chapter 13 back then, because I wanted to play it safe and not accidentally mess up any trophies... but I do know for sure that you could make "Hard" appear for chapters way later in the game that were nowhere near a chapter I had finished on Hard.

Now that I'm done with the Hard playthrough, I guess there's no real way for me to check. Who knows, maybe once I get my final orbs and my platinum, I might delete my save game and play a couple of chapters just as an experiment and see if I can play a later chapter on Hard anyway.