Everyone's impressions of the 5th world please...

OK, I have to say the whole level design and theme and especially the MUSIC totally freaked me out. It gave me this sense of overwhelming evil and sent chills over my whole body (it is pretty warm here, the furnace is running non-stop by the way).

I got more scared by playing this level than watching movies like "Grudge" or "The Ring", although I have to admit it's a different kind of fear. I cannot quite compare them. Thankfully, I still enjoyed the shooting though.

Maybe the cube shapes mess with childhood kindergarten and playgrounds obsessions? Who knows? Man, I should have studied psychology, hehehe :p

One thing's for sure though. That stage was a trip and a half, NO drugs involved.

I literally BEG anyone who's beat this level to put your 2 cents here. I'm curious to know what y'all think and cannot wait to read about it.

Edited by StarFoxMania

Interesting post, I view this stage completely differently. I see it as very gentle (especially in comparison with world 4) and it brings back memories of playing Sonic 3, the Icecap levels, my favourite levels out of all the Sonic games. I actually see this world as kind of Christmassy, what with the music and ice-like structures. I see no menace in it at all, world 2 is a lot more menacing to me with its background, music, machinery and evil tunnels of death. :D

edit: Couple more thoughts I just had. Yeah I was shivering a bit when playing the stage, but it was probably just fear of dying when I was going for the 2mil trophy for the first time (got it with 2300 points leeway!), rather than fear of the stage itself. Also I was pretty disappointed by the boss, its patterns are not very varied and it's basically just the same thing you have to do for a while... use the beam and dodge it. Could have had a bit more variety or more stages to the boss for a final level.

Edited by scorched

When I first played it, I had just used a continue on the 4th boss, so my weapons were really weak and I was just concentrating on staying alive for the most part and I didn't really pay attention to the music. The layout and graphics of the level though was pretty peaceful and beautiful to me though. And the boss? Woooow, that was great. I totally did not expect to see the Portal cube there.

May I please ask you guys to jump straight to the 5th wolrd on training mode and drastically change the audio settings? You know just temporarily, to be able to hear the music. Put up the music volume and put down the SFX? I mean the music is very faint, maybe done on purpose so by the developer. Maybe putting the voulme up would totally ruin the idea, but me, I could listen to the music without any big effort even though it was on low volume.

I wasn't worried about trophies or staying aliveas I had already lost the 1st credit to worry about the 2 million trophy and had lots of credits to spare to worry about not beating it.

P.S: Thanks for your input. I hope more people will reply to this.

Sure, but which music are you referring to? I seem to spend most of the time in Berserker mode which has diffferent music.

edit, had a quick go, the music is kind of freaky at the start with those discordant machiney noises, but I really like it when it goes more ambient when there are more instruments added about a minute in. Reminds a bit of Metroid Prime music, like a few levels in this game, and I really enjoyed MP's score too. I actually got the limited edition of Soldner from PlayAsia as it was really cheap, came with a soundtrack but haven't listened to it yet. You checked out the soldner official forums? I saw a post somewhere about the last stage being one of the dev's favourite tracks.

Edited by scorched

Yeah, it's for the PC.

Buy Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer [Limited Edition] (PC CD-ROM) - Order Now!

$20 is great for what you get, the game, soundtrack, and 'tactical reference book' (main reason I got it), which is really nice and has info about all enemies and powerups. Haven't really used it much but it's nice to look at and it's all English too. It all comes in a shiny, sturdy box...

• 1 month later...