Your Rock Band Games Kryptonite?

Raoul Duke

What parts are your personal nemesis in these games?

A have a few, I'm by no means the greatest at these games but I'm getting my shit together:

1. Drumming - the kick drum. I can't stand it, and really the reason the drums sit by the wall. It never seems synced and my focus on the foot starts to take over everything else. I've spent maybe a 5 hours playing drums but in the end this is why I don't play them so on to my real killers:

2. My middle (orange) finger. I wish it had a face I could punch. I can 99% most songs on Hard but it's always my middle finger that fucks everything up. In a string of left to right or right to left rolling (you know what I mean) it's always the one I miss for some reason. Or sometimes if I'm playing a lot of red and green, my dumbass middle finger wanders his way over and gets in the way. It's like the thing has a mind of it's own, except when needed.

Probably not the fingers fault, just some connection issues between my brain and left middle finger.

3. When I have to play a slow mind numbing song. It makes no difference if it's one of the easiest on the list. If it's long and repetitive - I zone out. I can hammer off something like Bat Country because it keeps the attention. If it's three notes over and over and over for seemingly 20 minutes - I'm fucked.

In rhythm games as a whole guitar is my weak point. For examply, I am currently faced with the near-impossible task of 100%ing the solo in the Final Countdown (Lego RB, of course).

I am relatively decent at drums (ie, I can pass every RB2 song on expert) and I get by on vocals but I am no master of fret-noodling, to my frustration.

And, quite hilariously, I still haven't got platinum in RB2 as I can't get my hands on an RB guitar.

Drum rolls or quick drumming sections. I'm not really sure if I can hit them or not but my drum set that I have definitely holds me back from even having a chance at them. I can pass almost every song on expert drums but the hit detection on the Rock Band 1 drums weren't that great and that's holding me back from some FCs.

Bonham triplets. I consistently fail "Shoulder To The Plow". I'd have to say that my biggest gripe is when a song has a straight 8th note double bass pattern, they cut the kick chart up into some weirdo syncopated pattern that resembles nothing like what the actual part is. If you don't know what I mean, play any Megadeth song on expert drums.

My downfall, although I'm getting better at them as of late, are zigzag patterns on guitar. Took me about 7 tries to FC the solo in Epic, but then I magically got an FC on Tom Sawyer first try. I guess it must be on and off, but that's the only reason I had trouble 5*ing Green Grass and High Tides.

On drums, the ridiculous kick charts (esp. on Megadeth as pointed out by Razorhoof) are annoying, but I have to say some of the rolls where there is no way to avoid double hitting (ie. Foreplay/Long Time and Are You Gonna Be My Girl). I also suck at disco patterns (Orange Crush, Ballroom Blitz, Teen Age Riot, Run To the Hills, and most of all, Everlong).

And on vocals, I barely pass everything for the most part because I can't sing great. I can probably FC 60ish songs on the RB2 disk on hard, but expert just doesn't click for me. At least i can pass on expert.

For the people struggling with the kick pedal, try going to drum trainer and practicing Baby's First Rock Beat through Robot Rock. Start slow (ie. 60-100 BPM) and work up to 200 BPM. You can also just try practice mode on simpler songs. Hungry Like the Wolf choruses are a great starting point, and you can take it from 70% and up on expert.

EDIT: My squeezing is terrible. If I could squeeze my RB1 guitar might have a chance at top 200 (I'm sitting comftorably at 237 on the RB1 overall leaderboards.

Edited by malkieriking

I guess my weakpoint is singing, but thats probably because my voice is horrible.

Well, probably more because I can actually be good at songs, I just need to know them at heart.

So rockband beatles/green day is easier since I know the songs more.

I guess my weakpoint is singing, but thats probably because my voice is horrible.

Well, probably more because I can actually be good at songs, I just need to know them at heart.

So rockband beatles/green day is easier since I know the songs more.

Ha, if I don't know the songs, I just hum into the microphone (on expert). It works fine. :)

Isn't it possible to just put the microphone next to a fan or to the speakers of the TV and let it play?

not on rock band 2 i dont think (apart from the songs where all you have to do is talk e.g. "what you want" and "give it away") due to it still requiring the right pitch to be sang - it works fine on lego rock band on begginer though.....

• 2 weeks later...

The "reverse" snake runs on solos like Green Grass and High Tides, and on Warriors of Time, and the beginning of *cant think of the song name, but its one long massive 5 minute guitar solo with no vocals* by Yngwie Malmsteen.

I can't beat Warriors of Time because of them going so fast :( One of the few expert guitar songs that I havn't beat on Rockband. I did beat the Yngwie Malmsteen song once. I was so happy I gave up playing for about 6 months... lol