Member of the Month - June 2010

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/ps3tmotm.png

We're winding down our second year here on PS3T. Tomorrow of course is the site's second birthday, so expect a lot of fun. But today, we're bringing you your Member of the Month for June. This month we've decided to go with one of the more active members not just in the main part of the forum, but in Submit as well (which is invaluable, by the way). He's become something of a submitting machine lately and has forced Yoshi and I stay on our toes a bit. He's always around the site and is doing what he can to offer advice to anyone in need and to contribute to every discussion he can. In the first TSL, he kind of repeatedly got the short end of the stick (sorry :p), but did end up winning the Soloists competition. I am of course speaking of magmar126. He is your Member of the Month for June 2010. Please everyone, send your congratulations to magmar.

And now, let's move onto the interview...

Can you tell us a bit more about the person behind the PSN ID?

My name is Bas and I'm 26 years old. I live in the Netherlands which is a small country, but I guess most of you know about Amsterdam, our capital.

I'm unemployed at the moment due to various circumstances but still aiming for a job in the ICT direction.

Can you briefly explain how you came up with the name "magmar126" and if there's any significance to it?

I don't watch Pokémon! In my early days on the net I used to chat alot on a DC++ channel which was hosted on the Dutch Magmar Network. I liked the name 'magmar' and used that since on irc channels.

When I bought the PS3 I wanted 'magmar' as PSN id but it was taken already. Still wanting to use it and not simply putting a 1 at the end, I started searching on Google for a good addition to it. Then I discovered Magmar is a Pokémon o_O. One of the search results showed me that his Pokémon Catalogue number was 126.

Voila, magmar126 was born!

Now that the Netherlands are in the quarterfinals, what are your expectations for the Dutch in the World Cup?

We will bring that World Cup to the Netherlands, no doubt about that!

EP90001005028l.png

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/mom_16-1.jpg

What sort of setup do you have going back home for your gaming?

After a year of gaming on a SD tv I couldn't stand the small screen anymore and needed an HDTV. My current setup is a Sony Bravia 40" LCD with a fat 60GB PS3 which I upgraded to 500GB (have to keep all those PSN games somewehere..). It isn't the original I bought, already had to send 2 PS3's back due to the well known Blu-ray problems.

How long have you been gaming and what made you decide PlayStation as your gaming companion?

I played my first game on the NES, which was Duck Hunt! Didn't own an NES myself so I stalked my neighbour alot just to play games.

After lots of discussions with my parents, my brother and I managed to get an PS1 with 2 games; Fifa '96 and Abe's Odyssee. Tomb Raider really got me hooked, played this series together with my mom where I used the controller and we both tried to solve puzzle. I'll never forget her shouting to kill someone!

With some stuff going on personally I missed the PS2, but played a lot at friend's houses on several consoles (from N64 to Dreamcast to Xbox).

Always loved the PlayStation over other consoles since it had a more mature list of games and I think it has the best controller of all consoles.

When I heard the Sony was going to stop producing 60GB model I didn't know how fast I had to get one!

I stuck to PlayStation because I like how they always try to push the boundaries of technology used in their systems. First the disc, then the EyeToy and online part, and with the PS3 the Blu-ray and superior cell chip.

What was the last game you bought, and what’s the next one you’re looking forward to?

Last one I bought is Naughty Bear, this game is hilarious! Can recommend it to anyone who likes being naughty and scare/kill other teddy bears.

You picked the worst moment to ask what game I'm looking forward to with the E3 this month. So many games to choose from. But I go for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. I still think NFS Hot Pursuit II is the best game they ever created so can't wait if this game can bring back those good old days with police chases, finding shortcuts and such. NFS needs some love these days and this one has the potential to accomplish that.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/mom_16-2.jpg

Which game announced at E3 are you most looking forward to?

This is tough since this is a PS3 site, so I'll split my answer in two parts.

For PS3 I was totally blown away when they announced the return of Twisted Metal! The video Sony show during their press conference was great, but when checking the multiplayer part in a G4tv.com video I didn't know how to react. Simply awesome!

Nintendo had the best press conference in my opinion, and I just can't choose..Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn or Epic Mickey..

If you had the chance to improve the PlayStation and/or PSN store, what 1 thing would you like to see implemented?

One PS Store and thus the same content for everybody! I don't like how they use the excuse here in EU that everything has to be translated/localized. Almost every gamer in EU understands English and with the patch-loving industry there's always the option to patch games with translations if demand is high.

The network is missing one thing for us, an official Trophy Leaderboard.

I really hope they decide to create this one day. They brought Facebook to the PS3, but I would also like to see a Twitter app. Letting the world know when you beaten a certain game or how well you did online is always fun.

How much of a certified trophy whore are you? Does the trophy list play any part in the decision to play or buy a game, or do you base that decision entirely on the game?

Yes, I'm a trophy whore, no doubt about that. This means I also get easy games just for trophies, I look at you Hannah!

But, when I don't enjoy a game I don't try to complete it just for the plat.

Gaming and trophy collecting should be for fun and when the fun part isn't there I don't continue. This also means I buy games like Street Fighter 4 or BlazBlue just because I like those games, knowing I won't be able to get the plat.

I have bought games without trophies, like Afro Samuarai or Record of Agarest War and those were great to play. Have to admit, I bought Record of Agarest War again from the store because that version had trophies.

What would you say was your proudest platinum and why?

That would the LittleBigPlanet platinum.

It was my first plat and it was a blast to get it. Playing online with total strangers and helping each other to get that 1 missing price bubble or trying to ace a level numerous times.

Also not having a guide or even a forum with tips or boosting partners makes me proud to have this plat in my collection.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/mom_16-3.jpg

Edited by olsen77

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the end of the world was nigh and you had to grab three games/franchises to take with you to play out your final days to, what would they be?

Without a doubt the early Tomb Raider games because they got me to love playing games. Crash Bandicoot 1, 2 and 3 would also go with me just because they're so much fun and, just like Tomb Raider, got some good memories playing those games.

Last but not least, SingStar!! This is so much fun to play with friends, laughing at each other trying to be a rockstar when singing Poison.

Or doing weird when singing Culture Club songs. And when the world is coming to an end I love to end it with singing the Final Countdown.

Since Tomb Raider is one of your favorite series, briefly tell us what you'd look forward to the most in the next Tomb Raider game if you were put in charge over it's development.

It has to go back to it's roots, the last few games were just horrible. I would force them to play Uncharted to learn how to create an awesome adventure game. Both are quite similar games and Lara deserves a game that good and who wouldn't want to see a 3D Lara on their screen?

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/news/mom_16-4.jpg

What brought you to PS3T and what keeps you coming back?

Like many others I had problems with a trophy and when using Google this site popped up. I didn't register for a while but noticing how the community is very tight and without judging each other or other sites I decided I wanted to be a part of that.

I keep coming back for tips of course, but also for the competitions and again the cool community here. This site is the best for all kinds of info on whatever game (with trophy support), from the most obscure PSN game to Japanese games. That's why I decided to submit loads of games to the site, keeping the site up to date with almost every game out there.

If you could sit down and have dinner with two members of the staff, who would they be, why, and where would you go to eat?

I would invite olsen77 and funkyweed to a nice restaurant in Amsterdam.

olsen77 because he must have gotten tired of me pm-ing him if lists were submitted already and spamming the submit thread with loads of PSN games and tiles.

Funkyweed because I guess he loves smoking some weed and where better to be than Amsterdam, giving him a tour around the city to show where the best weed is.

If you were an admin of PS3T for a day, what would you do and why?

I would change all trophy lists on the frontpage so they match the XMB order. That would make it easier to check which secret trophy you are missing when there's more than 1, and DLC trophies are better to spot also. It would also benefit Trophy Tile submitters since it's easier to look at the official site and comparing with what's missing.

That's one thing I would do besides feeling awesome between all you staff members!

Any final words for the community?

A big thanks to all of the staff for this awesome site, you all should be proud of yourselves helping so many gamers out there! All the guide/roadmap writers should be proud for the same reason, hundreds of platinum trophies wouldn't be earned without your help.

And to finish this interview I would like to mention Kevin Butler's E3 speech about loving games. The speech proclaimed how great it is to be a gamer, why we love games, and why everyone is a gamer that wants to play together.

Remember that we all love to game and don't judge anyone on what game they're playing or on what console even.

Edited by olsen77

Well done, magmar! We're very proud of you for earning this achievement. It's certainly well-deserved. Thanks so much for all your hard work and enjoy the newly aquired title. ;)

As Rockets said, take good care of it! Congrats again! :applause:

[EDIT] I totally didn't even bother mentioning I enjoyed your interview. Nicely done!

Edited by Yoshi_Girl

Congratulations man. It seems as though you submit just about every trophy list to the site. It'd be nice if you can give us others a chance. :p

Kidding aside you're a valuable member to the PS3t community and I'm glad to see that you've won. Congratulations and good luck with the barrage or friend requests you'll be getting over the next month. ;)

Congratulations magmar.:applause: You seem like a class member & you're always submitting. I personally think this is very well deserved.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Netherlands for World Cup 2010! Whenever Ireland isn't competing in a major competition, (which is often:pout:) I'm supporting Holland, followed bt Brazil, so Friday's going to be fun.

Edited by FootballPsycho