Multiplayer ???'s

K__L__U__T__C__H

The multiplayer community for Bio Shock 2 has definitely grown since launch day, and the game itself in terms of multiplayer has grown on me as well.

I, like yourself, am a COD player, with a long pedigree. I have played and still play MW2 a great deal (K/D 2.15), and I find Bio Shock 2 as a nice complement to that experience. And, lately, I find I am finding Bio Shock 2 multiplayer to be more enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong ... Bio Shock 2 multiplayer doesn't have the polish that MW2 does; the graphics are not as good, and the game does not run as smoothly (there can be lag, depending on the host). Tactically, it is very different as well, as the weapons are far less accurate, and engagements tend to me more "up close and personal."

Those caveats said, Bio Shock 2 multiplayer is fun once you get the hang of it. The learning curve is steep as the matchmaking often puts you in games full of higher level players (and there are less lower-level players nowadays), so you'll probably get brutalized at first. I hated it at first, but as I unlocked attachements, tonics, and plasmids and, more importantly, developed viable strategies, I came to love it.

What I love about Bio Shock 2 multiplayer vs. MW2 is a "truer" experience. There's a steep learning curve and it is downright hard at first, which weeds out the noobs. Unlike MW2, I really don't see the sort of pathological behaviors that mar that game, and manifest cheating is not an issue as it is with MW2 (at least not at the moment). A ten second cooldown after a death really helps to curtail the people that seek "payback" at the cost of their team's victory, and there aren't unbalanced perks like Lightweight and Commando that enable people to run around like ninnies with impunity, and traps kill 95+% of the time [if you electrify them ;-) ]. Further, the lack of a minimap is liberating and, again, weeds out the noobs and noobish behaviors.

BioShock 2 multiplayer is not for everybody, and I hope you will like it -- if you decide to get it. I started out with a K/D below 1.00, and now, roughly two months later, I am over 2.00. So, if you struggle at first, give it a chance.

I hope this helps.

dreadnaught_

Edited by dreadnaught_

I MUCH prefer MW2 to bioshock 2's multiplayer. Mainly because I only play hardcore, and I'm ANNOYED at how much you have to shoot at people on bioshock2 to actually kill someone, and there's no "hardcore" mode.

...and well the accuracy is crap. The aiming isn't very good, nothing like pressing L1 on MW2 the "aim" on bioshock is horrid imho.

I do love the atmosphere and theme of the game though, and the modes are sufficiently different to eachother.

I'm level 38 on bioshock and I'm on my 2nd prestige on MW2..in case you give a crap ;)

Agreed that the guns are more inaccurate in Bio Shock 2 and it takes a lot more punishment to kill people. Remember you are killing Splicers hopped up on Adam and tonics and god knows what else, however.

And, with MW2, the guns are so unrealistically accurate that a 4 year old can pick up the game and play casually and probably get about a .9 to 1.0 ratio, every game.

By contrast, it takes SKILL to get kills in Bio Shock 2 -- accuracy, situational awareness, and using tactically useful combinations of plasmids (especially at the beginning).

I've owned and played MW2 since midnight of launch day. And I will say affirmatively that compared to what it used to be, the game is total garbage now. Thanks to Lightweight, Commando (you are invincible once the stabbing animation begins), and Tactical Knife -- and the fact you can sprint through mines -- it is idiotic run-and-gun worse than COD4 ever was. Add in the Semtex spamming, the cheating, and the horrible spawning (there is occasionally bad spawns in Bio Shock 2, where the enemy will spawn in the same room as you -- but not as consistently awful as MW2), and as much as I hate to do so, I'm moving on.

MW2 is a shooter dumbed down for the masses. And thus, the lowest common denominator of the gaming community -- and quite possibly, the world -- plays it obsessively. I cannot tell you how much hate mail I have received over the past couple months -- for no reason other than being pretty decent at it (K/D ~2.15). That tells you something about who plays the game. I have never experienced anything like it in any other title.

Bio Shock 2 is not perfect, but it gives a fun option. And nowadays, it is more fun than MW2.

Remember, "a man chooses; a slave ... plays MW2."

Edited by dreadnaught_