Just getting started - Any beginners tips?

Hi guys (and gals),

I just got WKC today (finally) after taking a short breather from finishing FFXIII. I'm just outside the starting castle leveling up on the local wildlife. The combat system seems pretty complex compared to FFXIII so I'm having to get used to everything.

Should I focus on anything in particular? ie, grinding XP, farming any specific items, etc? I'm not in any rush but I would like to get through the single player story so I can get access to online questing and such.

Any tips, advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I forgot to ask, should I spend any skill points yet? To be honest, everything is rather intimidating as far as the learning curve, lol. I know I'll get used to it all in time, though.

Edited by Yoshi_Girl

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys (and gals),

I just got WKC today (finally) after taking a short breather from finishing FFXIII. I'm just outside the starting castle leveling up on the local wildlife. The combat system seems pretty complex compared to FFXIII so I'm having to get used to everything.

Should I focus on anything in particular? ie, grinding XP, farming any specific items, etc? I'm not in any rush but I would like to get through the single player story so I can get access to online questing and such.

Any tips, advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I forgot to ask, should I spend any skill points yet? To be honest, everything is rather intimidating as far as the learning curve, lol. I know I'll get used to it all in time, though.

Don't worry too much about the single player portion of the game, just focus on completing it as quickly as possible. I wouldn't worry about farming items, but I recommend trying to spend as little of your money as humanly possible. Really, the only reason you're playing the single player is to gain full access to the World Map... none of the trophies are tied to the single-player portion and none of them are technically missable anyway, you don't have to worry about much -- enjoy the ridiculous story and voice acting, get to know the ins-and-outs of the combat system, and don't get too attached to that White Knight because you can't bring him online.

I recommend allocating your avatar's Skill Points entirely to one Skill set (it doesn't matter which)... after that's maxed focus on learning another Skill set in it's entirety. As for the other characters, it doesn't really matter... focus on whatever will provide the best support throughout this portion of the game.

PS: Make sure you like how your avatar turned out -- you'll be looking at it for a long time. I made the mistake of getting intoxicated before making mine and now sunnygrg thinks I look like Harry Potter! :p

Edited by jqtaxpayer

Don't worry too much about the single player portion of the game, just focus on completing it as quickly as possible. I wouldn't worry about farming items, but I recommend trying to spend as little of your money as humanly possible. Really, the only reason you're playing the single player is to gain full access to the World Map... none of the trophies are tied to the single-player portion and none of them are technically missable anyway, you don't have to worry about much -- enjoy the ridiculous story and voice acting, get to know the ins-and-outs of the combat system, and don't get too attached to that White Knight because you can't bring him online.

I recommend allocating your avatar's Skill Points entirely to one Skill set (it doesn't matter which)... after that's maxed focus on learning another Skill set in it's entirety. As for the other characters, it doesn't really matter... focus on whatever will provide the best support throughout this portion of the game.

PS: Make sure you like how your avatar turned out -- you'll be looking at it for a long time. I made the mistake of getting intoxicated before making mine and now sunnygrg thinks I look like Harry Potter! :p

Ah thanks for the tips, JQ. I've leveled up to 7 at this point and have invested SP's in the "Short Sword" category since that's the only weapon I have right now. I also learned "Heal" and "Revive" for support purposes. I'd love to get my hands on a Bow, though. I'm just used to playing Ranger-type classes in RPG's, lol.

As far as my avatar goes, I had to restart the game myself once I was able to actually look at her in-game. I didn't like how she turned out so I remade her and I'm content with her appearance now. :p

I'm assuming I should max out "Short Sword" since that's the only weapon I have atm or do you recommend something else? Also, does it matter what I invest SP's in with Leonard? It seems he's really just a support character for me through the single player storyline.

I'd wager to say that WKC may not look as pretty as FFXIII but it certainly seems to be more RPG-oriented in terms of complexities. The learning curve for the battle system has been a work-in-progress but I think I'm getting the basics down now. It's certainly more complex than the Paradigm system from FFXIII, I think anyway.

Thanks for the info so far. Much appreciated!

In this game, revive does not resurrect a fallen enemy, that skill has been bestowed upon "raise". Revive deals with KO status (same effect as paralysis)

Make leonard whatever you want. May be a DPS class as u'll use him quite a bit in the story mode. Maybe make him a long sword user or spear user so that you have access to placid heart or anima to gain AC, thus making it easier to get leonard into his knight mode. The story characters do nothing for your online experience, so do what you will with them (thou i made sure they all had heal)

Before you taste the online experience finish the game TWICE.

First time rush through it, 2nd time use the guide to pick up all the GR7 and gr8 loot.

I'd say its best to hunt for your rebirths when u are at GR7 or GR9.

GR7 for Boot camp II (best place to get your first rebirth) then at GR9 for ring leader II or King of dragons II.

Mage class is the best at lvling as King of dragons II is full of elemental creatures and you get like 800+ exp per kill at lvl 35 and around 350+ exp per kill at lvl 49.

Don't sell any items as you'll need them to make stuff.

Edited by Yoshi594

In this game, revive does not resurrect a fallen enemy, that skill has been bestowed upon "raise". Revive deals with KO status (same effect as paralysis)

Hmm I didn't know that about "Revive" but then again, I just started the game, lol. But thanks for letting me know.

Make leonard whatever you want. May be a DPS class as u'll use him quite a bit in the story mode. Maybe make him a long sword user or spear user so that you have access to placid heart or anima to gain AC, thus making it easier to get leonard into his knight mode. The story characters do nothing for your online experience, so do what you will with them (thou i made sure they all had heal)

Obviously I don't know what Placid Heart and Anime is yet but I'm guessing those abilities cause AC to replenish faster? I'll definately keep those weapon suggestions in mind.

Before you taste the online experience finish the game TWICE.

First time rush through it, 2nd time use the guide to pick up all the GR7 and gr8 loot.

I originally wanted to get online after I completed the single player campaign but if the GR7 items are that good and exclusive (not available anywhere else?) and it's worth replaying the storymode again I may just do that. I'd like to go online with decent gear anyway.

I'd say its best to hunt for your rebirths when u are at GR7 or GR9.

GR7 for Boot camp II (best place to get your first rebirth) then at GR9 for ring leader II or King of dragons II.

Mage class is the best at lvling as King of dragons II is full of elemental creatures and you get like 800+ exp per kill at lvl 35 and around 350+ exp per kill at lvl 49.

Don't sell any items as you'll need them to make stuff.

I'm still fuzzy on "Rebirth" specifics other than doing a quest or some such after you've completed the game. All I know so far is you get SP refunded back to you, or something and a few other details. But I appreciate the tips on where to do them.

And no I don't plan on selling anything. Thanks for posting your suggestions.

Obviously I don't know what Placid Heart and Anime is yet but I'm guessing those abilities cause AC to replenish faster? I'll definately keep those weapon suggestions in mind.

That is correct. Placid is for long sword and anima is for spear. Well not really faster, you gain 2 AC each time you use those skills.

I originally wanted to get online after I completed the single player campaign but if the GR7 items are that good and exclusive (not available anywhere else?) and it's worth replaying the storymode again I may just do that. I'd like to go online with decent gear anyway.

The Gr7 and G8 really come in handy. You can make them, but that would be pretty tough without going online first. Free loot is always nice :D

I'm still fuzzy on "Rebirth" specifics other than doing a quest or some such after you've completed the game. All I know so far is you get SP refunded back to you, or something and a few other details. But I appreciate the tips on where to do them.

Regarding rebirths, i think if you have started a new game+ you unlock something called "Sinca Reincarnation Pilgrimage". This is where you will rebirth when you hit lvl 50 (it is under The Van Haven Waste in the map).

You will be reduced to lvl 35 with all your points from lvl 1-35 and 40+ bonus points. Bonus points stop after your 4th rebirth. After your 4th rebirth you will start with 300 Sp.

oh and another thing, you can't do certain quests unless you have progressed through that area in your story game.

Edited by Yoshi594

That is correct. Placid is for long sword and anima is for spear. Well not really faster, you gain 2 AC each time you use those skills.

The Gr7 and G8 really come in handy. You can make them, but that would be pretty tough without going online first. Free loot is always nice :D

Regarding rebirths, i think if you have started a new game+ you unlock something called "Sinca Reincarnation Pilgrimage". This is where you will rebirth when you hit lvl 50 (it is under The Van Haven Waste in the map).

You will be reduced to lvl 35 with all your points from lvl 1-35 and 40+ bonus points. Bonus points stop after your 4th rebirth. After your 4th rebirth you will start with 300 Sp.

oh and another thing, you can't do certain quests unless you have progressed through that area in your story game.

4 Rebirths requires 4 single player playthroughs or something different?

Nah you only need 2 play throughs of the single player. Rebirths are just for when you get to lvl 50. Once 50 go to Since pilgrimage recarnation and talk to the odd cloaked fella in the center to rebirth.

And you will restart @ level 35 with 40 extra SPs in addition to the SP you accumulate when you reach level 35. And you will be butt-naked with all your armors and weapons gone :p

Oh btw, I haven't spent any cash yet but I did spend 120 Gilda repairing my armor and weapons (several pieces needed it). Is repairing your gear essential and necessary, say, compared to Oblivion where degraded gear significantly impairs performance, etc?

repair whenever possible! i think the equipment becomes less useful if not repaired. I remember one of my station attendant runs, some guy broke his sword and had to change to a new weapon.

repair whenever possible! i think the equipment becomes less useful if not repaired. I remember one of my station attendant runs, some guy broke his sword and had to change to a new weapon.

Okay that's what I thought. I'm assuming the repair costs will increase as I level up but it seems necessary. I did buy a Bow too but am focusing on 1 Skill Tree as been recommended.

Okay that's what I thought. I'm assuming the repair costs will increase as I level up but it seems necessary. I did buy a Bow too but am focusing on 1 Skill Tree as been recommended.

from lvls 1-50 u will acquire 200 SP points. It is around 90 SP points to master a single skill tree, therefore you can master 2 trees (shortsword and bow if u want) with some healing too.

Should I be concerned about getting level 50 on my 1st playthrough or is it not necessary?

nope, u can get to lvl 50 by grinding quests after your 2nd play through. The crap thing is that on your 2nd play through, the monsters don't lvl with u :(

1st play through = rush

2nd = gr7/8 item hunt.

Then online and questing.

Edited by Yoshi594

nope, u can get to lvl 50 by grinding quests after your 2nd play through. The crap thing is that on your 2nd play through, the monsters don't lvl with u :(

1st play through = rush

2nd = gr7/8 item hunt.

Then online and questing.

Alright thanks. An interesting thing here is it looks like NG+ will be to search for GR items I wont even be able to use for a while, lol. I guess it's better to have decent gear in my inventory rather than not at all, though.

You don't have to go through the single player twice... I really don't think the loot you'd get would be worth the time it takes to get it, particularly since if you're going for the platinum you're going to have to bind better items anyway.

EDIT: This is just the way I was looking at it... maybe it's very beneficial to go through to single player twice, but I ultimately didn't want to do it since I was eager to get online and start doing all that.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

After reading through some treads here I've come under the impession you shouldn't spend money on building your Georama town (or w/e it's called), or at least not yet? My question is - what about the unique armor or weapons you can get from your personal town? Or did I misunderstand?

If you can aquire unique items only in your personal town how do you obtain them? And are they even worth the effort?

Oh, also, when should I really focus on doing GR quests? I've read several conflicting threads on the net regarding this. Some sites suggest beginning them as early as NG+ while others suggest waiting until you've rebirthed a few times. I guess I'm confused in this regard.

Thanks a bunch.

After reading through some treads here I've come under the impession you shouldn't spend money on building your Georama town (or w/e it's called), or at least not yet? My question is - what about the unique armor or weapons you can get from your personal town? Or did I misunderstand?

If you can aquire unique items only in your personal town how do you obtain them? And are they even worth the effort?

Oh, also, when should I really focus on doing GR quests? I've read several conflicting threads on the net regarding this. Some sites suggest beginning them as early as NG+ while others suggest waiting until you've rebirthed a few times. I guess I'm confused in this regard.

Thanks a bunch.

When you go to your homepage and navigate towards the Hometown's most Right Hand side tab, you can view the different stats of your hometown like trolls, dragon, cottons, mushroom, crystal (If you haven't started editing your hometown yet, the option will be greyed out). Maxing each stat upto 50 will unlock unique armor setpieces at YOUR town's local armory (Cottons 50 will unlock Honey Rings and Honey Leggings, Flowers 50 will unlock Honey Cross) and some binding items at your local item shop (town owners get them at a cheaper price).

The downside of doing this is you will spend a lot of money in the process. Your town also has a level. You will need to get your hometown to level 7 to max out your individual stats (You dont have to max them all at once, in fact you can't). Upgrading your town requires you to spend some serious cash. I believe the requirement was 700000 Gilda (not sure?) just to upgrade from level 6 to level 7 alone (along with being Guild Rank 9, and a few other requirement). The armor setpieces aren't cheap either, with prices either 10,000 or 20,000 gilda.

You will also have to go about recruiting people from the Single Player campaign as NPC to work on your town. If you have done the tutorial on editing Georama, people who qualify to work will have a greenish icon when you navigate the Single player world. Of course, there is a list of the people you can hire and their location somewhere on this site, so thats not a biggie and it will only take 5-10 minutes.

Also, doing the Guild Quests is upto you. Most people get over with the Single Player ASAP and just grind out the online quests, but I alternated between them. Online is the most fun part, so you want to get there fast. Also, remember that starting a NG+ will block most of your quests due to "Story Progression" meaning you cant play a quest on a map you haven't unlocked yet.

Edited by EEHHHHHH

If you go through the story mode once, you'll most likely be around level 35 or so. This will make the first few GR ranks easier to do.

As for the equipment that's unique to your Georama town, if you can get it before GR8 or so, then feel free to do so. Otherwise, it's not going to do you much good because of its poor defense.

White Knight Chronicles International Edition Georama Unlockable List for PlayStation 3 by Unknown_PC - GameFAQs