QTE Improvements

F8L Fool

I just played the demo for the first time and right off the bat I was glad to see some changes. I could make a large list of improvements, but the big one that stuck out was how they changed QTE's.

After I engaged the Centaur QTE I was like "Holy crap, the button display actually makes sense and isn't blocking out all of the action". For those of you that haven't had the pleasure of playing the demo yet, the way the QTE buttons display is how they are found on the controller.

So in short whenever you see the button show up in the dead left-center, you know it will be :square:, or on the right-center it will be :circle:, and so on. Because of this your eyes aren't drawn to it and having it completely ruin the cinematic experience. While it's still a QTE and not my favorite thing, it's a gigantic leap in the right direction.

I really think if Heavy Rain would've taken that page out of the GoW 3 book I most likely would be upstairs playing it right now, rather than reflecting poorly on my demo experience.

I just played the demo for the first time and right off the bat I was glad to see some changes. I could make a large list of improvements, but the big one that stuck out was how they changed QTE's.

After I engaged the Centaur QTE I was like "Holy crap, the button display actually makes sense and isn't blocking out all of the action". For those of you that haven't had the pleasure of playing the demo yet, the way the QTE buttons display is how they are found on the controller.

So in short whenever you see the button show up in the dead left-center, you know it will be :square:, or on the right-center it will be :circle:, and so on. Because of this your eyes aren't drawn to it and having it completely ruin the cinematic experience. While it's still a QTE and not my favorite thing, it's a gigantic leap in the right direction.

I really think if Heavy Rain would've taken that page out of the GoW 3 book I most likely would be upstairs playing it right now, rather than reflecting poorly on my demo experience.

I have no idea if it will be like this, but I thought that the harder difficulties of the game could be even harder if they mixed the QTE buttons up. You'd think the middle left button should be a SQUARE push, but instead it was TRIANGLE. I think it would be cool and challenging, but I have no idea if it will be like that.

I have no idea if it will be like this, but I thought that the harder difficulties of the game could be even harder if they mixed the QTE buttons up. You'd think the middle left button should be a SQUARE push, but instead it was TRIANGLE. I think it would be cool and challenging, but I have no idea if it will be like that.

I think that would be horrific. What's the point of having an interactive cutscene, complete with an amazing action sequence if you spend 95% of the time not even paying attention to what's going on? If you wanted to make QTE's harder you just make the window for a button press smaller and smaller, like in Bayonetta, not play musical fucking chairs with them.

QTE's need to be done away with entirely, but until that happens a logical system like the one they have just put in will suffice.

I was fine with the way it was. I like QTE's. You just get used to it and focus on the action and when the button pops you catch it in the corner of your eye. It's not very difficult at all.

The Heavy Rain hate is not really just tho. The QTE's in HR do NOT block the action and in GOW3 they actually drag them to the 4 corners of your TV meaning your actually more likely to miss the action unlike in HR.(mind you I have no problem with either, but seems to me others are complaining abit)

That's my view on it anyway. If GOW3 QTE's scale with the difficulty setting then I think alot more people will be having second thoughts on the "re vamped" QTE's.

Edited by Tropikal

Yeah the QTE sequences in the demo really allow you to experience more of what you're trying to do on-screen and actually watch it. You can input the proper commands through your peripheral vision which enables you to fully concentrate on the gameplay.

I didn't get to fully enjoy the sequences in I and II because of how close the command prompts were to the scenes so this is a very nice improvement.